Orange Juice-Good or Bad?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Orange Juice-Good or Bad?
http://blog.arkofwellness.com/orange-juice-good-or-bad/

I know the word out there on the street is that orange juice is full of fructose and, according to Dr. Mercola and Dr. Oz, we should avoid sugar in any form at all times. When I heard that that sugar causes every disease out there and would age you faster than anything else known to man kind – well, yes, that scared me. But, I live in Southern California and oranges are growing everywhere. I love the smell and taste of fresh orange juice. Could orange juice really be so bad?

So, I started looking at what was in an orange and here is what I found:

One medium orange contains 1.23 grams of protein, 62 calories and 3.1 grams of dietary fiber. Oranges also include:

Potassium – 237 mg
Phosphorus – 18 mg
Magnesium – 13 mg
Calcium – 52 mg
Iron – 0.13 mg
Selenium 0.7 mcg
Manganese – 0.033 mg
Copper – 0.059 mg
Zinc – 0.09 mg

Also contains small amounts of other minerals.

Vitamin A – 295 IU
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) – 0.114 mg
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) – 0.052 mg
Niacin – 0.369 mg
Folate – 39 mcg
Pantothenic Acid – 0.328 mg
Vitamin B6 – 0.079 mg
Vitamin C – 69.7 mg
Vitamin E – 0.24 mg

Contains some other vitamins in small amounts

Does that look so unhealthy? NO!

Orange juice contains a lot of Vitamin C which is a major antioxidant. We know that antioxidants help our bodies to increase white blood cells. This increased white blood cell count helps our body defend against foreign invaders that can cause sickness in the body. When I look at this, plus the fact that oranges are in season during the flu season, I have to think this is one of Mother Nature’s cures to the common cold. It’s pretty amazing if you think about it, isn’t it? Vitamin C is also essential for the body to make collagen and can also help with thyroid health especially in the production of T3.

Potassium is another mineral found in oranges and tropical fruits. Potassium is huge because it helps the body deal with fluids and sodium. Lack of potassium can cause edema. It also helps with nerve function, muscle contraction, and pH regulation. Diets high in potassium are associated with lower blood pressure, according to Gropper et al in “Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism.”

The other great mineral that OJ has is magnesium. Magnesium is very important for good health. You can get magnesium from an Epsom salt bath or bone broth. But, why not OJ? The combination of magnesium and potassium helps to down grade stress levels in the body. The combination of the minerals plus the fact that it is high in salicylates makes OJ anti-inflammatory and can be compared to drinking organic aspirin…pretty awsome!

The way I suggest making your Orange Juice is this:

First, look for organically grown, ripe, local oranges. I always recommend squeezing your own. Frankly, I just don’t trust anything else. After juicing the orange, I recommend straining the juice because the pulp is cellulose and very hard to digest. Many people get stomach aches from the pulp-so take the time and strain it.

I do not recommend drinking it on an empty stomach. I also suggest adding a bit of sea salt to the juice because the sodium /magnesium/ potassium combination is very important for good health. Sip the juice through the day. Do not drink large amounts of it at one time! Just small sips through the day will help with your bodies stress response. Another fun thing that I like to do is to add some sparkling mineral water to the OJ. You can also add some gelatin and boost the protein profile. Why take a vitamin or mineral supplement when you can get everything you need from real food? Many supplements these days just aren’t safe. Your nutrition should be from nature. Just get some fresh oranges at your next farmer’s market and start enjoying your fresh juice with confidence that you are doing something good for yourself. Don’t be afraid to eat Oranges!

Swandattur

I think it's good fixed like a margarita. The best way would probably be to get the glass cold in the freezer and then dampen the edge with water and dip in kosher salt. Then pour in orange juice. It tastes great with salt on the rim!

Rinave

Charlie,
I really appreciate what you wrote about the value of oranges. I was also wondering about the high fructose content and the fact that OJ is supposed to be bad for diabetics, with the exception when their blood sugar goes too low as in hypoglycemia. My husband is diabetic and I thought he shouldn't be drinking OJ, but after learning more here in this forum and from RP's articles, I understand its nutritional value.

Dr. Perlmutter from Florida wrote a book about grains and sugar and the damage these cause to our brains and the increase of disease from these. Also Dr. Mercola and others have been writing about the evil of sugar. So at first it took me a while to understand how things work.

I still have a lot to learn but this forum is great. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals