Cheese And Orange Juice

Vinero

In my experience eating Cheese and OJ together multiple times a day gives me calm, stable energy to do things and a sense of wellbeing.
However I am a little concerned about the vitamin C content in OJ increasing iron absorption. Although cheese is low in iron, mixing cheese and OJ multiple times a day on a consistent basis seems risky with regards to iron absorption. Wouldn't I be better of to replace the OJ with coffee (with sugar added)?

Coffee with sugar added seems like a good replacement for orange juice because:
-Both OJ and coffee have antioxidants in them
-Both OJ and coffee contain some useful minerals and vitamins
-Both OJ and coffee (with sucrose added) provide sugars.
-Coffee contains caffeine
-Coffee reduces iron absorption

Wouldn't this list make coffee seem like a better choice?

jyb

Vinero said:
In my experience eating Cheese and OJ together multiple times a day gives me calm, stable energy to do things and a sense of wellbeing.
However I am a little concerned about the vitamin C content in OJ increasing iron absorption. Although cheese is low in iron, mixing cheese and OJ multiple times a day on a consistent basis seems risky with regards to iron absorption. Wouldn't I be better of to replace the OJ with coffee (with sugar added)?

Coffee has things OJ hasn't and vice versa. Ample OJ to get vitamins, and coffee for more vitamins and caffeine. As you said it's good to avoid OJ during meals with iron rich food like meat.

Question to everyone: is there actually any vit C left in non-fresh juice - typically a bottle bought at the store?

J

j.

jyb said:
Question to everyone: is there actually any vit C left in non-fresh juice - typically a bottle bought at the store?

I think RP said that if you don't eat grains, you'll get enough vitamin C even if your OJ has less vitamin C. I don't remember where I read that however.

cliff

Plenty of vitamin c in store bought OJ. The amount of iron in cheese is insanely low and the calcium inhibits iron too.

FYI coffee doesn't even come close to OJ in terms of nutrients, coffee really doesn't have too much(in regards to vitamins/minerals) unless you do a shitload of it.

Jenn

But coffee is a good source of niacinamide, magnesium and caffeine and fulfills a specific need, which may vary from individual to individual. They are two different foods and both have their purpose. If I am craving coffee, OJ isn't gonna cut it and vice versa.

cliff

It's an ok source of niacin and magnesium if you do a lot of it.

I think they both have there place but OJ is about 100 times more nutrient dense, just check out any nutritional database :)

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Jenn said:
But coffee is a good source of niacinamide, magnesium and caffeine and fulfills a specific need, which may vary from individual to individual. They are two different foods and both have their purpose. If I am craving coffee, OJ isn't gonna cut it and vice versa.

Yesterday was the first time ever that I have craved coffee. And it was intense craving, I could taste it in my mouth. Been drinking it for a few months now and this is the first time this happened.

Jenn

cliff said:
It's an ok source of niacin and magnesium if you do a lot of it.
Yeah, I do a lot of it...especially in winter, sometimes all day long. Coffee with gelatin/milk/sugar and potatoes/coconut oil. In the summer, I might only have it every couple of weeks....and I do a lot of OJ/milk/sugar.

key

@JYB
Oxidized vitamin C(cooked vitamin C) is just as useful as normal vitamin C. The body can turn vitamin C into oxidized vitamin C and vice versa.

jet9

Vinero, i know it's super old post, but are you still using Cheese + OJ? I am looking something for calm energy cause all the fruit and meat i am eating make me too anxious.

Vinero

Vinero, i know it's super old post, but are you still using Cheese + OJ? I am looking something for calm energy cause all the fruit and meat i am eating make me too anxious.
No I have changed my diet so many times over the years. I might have some cheese and fruit juice but my diet is very flexible and I am not afraid to have white rice with meat for example. Or potatoes. I just avoid PUFA and most vegetables. I just eat what I crave.