Purple Grape Juice Anyone?

Some studies have shown that purple grape juice lowers iron absorption by 80%. I drink some when I eat red meat, along with coffee. I also love it on its own, although I dilute it with a high dissolved solids mineral water with gas, so it becomes grape soda essentially, except much better.

Are you using it? I recall that Dr. Peat said it was okay except high in calories.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Some studies have shown that purple grape juice lowers iron absorption by 80%. I drink some when I eat red meat, along with coffee. I also love it on its own, although I dilute it with a high dissolved solids mineral water with gas, so it becomes grape soda essentially, except much better.

Are you using it? I recall that Dr. Peat said it was okay except high in calories.
It's my favorite. I like your idea of diluting it with mineral water!

OP
ecstatichamster
It's my favorite. I like your idea of diluting it with mineral water!

I get "Concord grape juice", organic. And diluting it tastes fantastic plus it isn't as many calories. I use Gerolschteiner or Pellegrino and I think these are beneficial.

squanch

It causes bloating and gas for me unfortunately. White grape juice doesn't.
Same with wine, red wine causes all kinds of issues for me while white wine is fine.

InChristAlone

I love the purple grape juice! Much better on the digestion than orange juice.

mmb82

I enjoy grape juice and often make it into jello (using plain gelatin) rather than drinking it to reduce liquid intake, especially when the weather is colder. Anything red/purple/Concord grape-based is great for dealing with iron overload or lowering iron absorption. Green grapes are not anywhere near as beneficial.

Do you have iron overload? If so...aside from coffee, black and green tea, red onions, cocoa, cinnamon, turmeric, high vitamin E foods, plums, prunes, cranberries, and foods with Oligomeric Proanthocyanadins (OPCs) are other things that help. I know Peat is not a fan of black or green tea, but figured I'd mention it anyway.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peat is not a fan of black or green tea, but figured I'd mention it
He did mention drinking tea to me once in an email for the diuretic properties so I think it depends on the individual context. He didn't specify if green or black would be best.

Constatine

If you decrease iron absorption in the intestines wouldn't that just mean that you are feeding more iron to intestinal bacteria? It is my understanding that substances like lactoferrin inhibit bacteria growth by increasing iron transport and iron absorption thus decreasing the amount of iron available to bacteria. Or do these substances decrease bacteria's ability to utilize iron as well?

Edit: Never mind apparently I was wrong about the mechanisms of lactoferrin. Reducing iron absorption is good but transport bad. :) : Effects of lactoferrin on iron absorption in immature mice - ScienceDirect

Last edited:

Fractality

I just drank 32oz of organic 100% concord grape juice with my dinner. That dinner being a grass fed NY steak, rice, well cooked kale, and kimchi. I've been planning my steak dinners with concord grape juice. It is very refreshing.

milkboi

I enjoy grape juice and often make it into jello (using plain gelatin) rather than drinking it to reduce liquid intake, especially when the weather is colder.

Planning to do that as well :) Although I don't really understand how making the juice into jello reduces liquid (there's still the same amount of water in there right?)

Beastmode

We use the 365 concord grape juice (organic) from Wholefoods. Everyone's favorite in my house is the homemade jello we it with.

In total, we probably go through 3-4 quarts of it in our jello.

Toddler loves it and we have it with any of our meals that contain meat in it.

Dr. B

I thought the consensus around here was that Resva is estrogenic...
supplement is bad but grape juice is probably safe,
if you look up those individual compounds in orange juice like quercetin or narenginin or whatevers all seem to be thyroid inhibitors but the amounts in juice are probably balanced out by some other factors in the juice... the grape juice has way way les resveratrol than the supplements...

i dont think its too bad, i think grape juice is 160 calories per cup, orange juice is 110?
but its all sugar/fruit calories,
pomegranate juice is also high calories 160 per cup i think.
has some useful effects, Peat doesnt think heating the juice should mess with carbonic anhydrase inhibitors

if youre looking for organic, not from concentrate grape or pomegranate juice without any added fillers or rpeservatives the only brands ive found are RW knudsen organic juice and lakewoods brand, lakewood prices their products like a few dollars higher per bottle yet the quality seems exactly the same as rw knudsens organic stuff, so thatsd probably preferable if available, and if you get these at whole foods they price all their products a few dollars higher than other stores although i wonder now if whole foods does price matching on their product

Sefton10

I love the purple grape juice! Much better on the digestion than orange juice.
I find this too. My hypothesis is that the glucose and fructose in grape juice are free sugars whereas OJ has more sucrose.

J.R.K

I use purple grape juice in the same way when using red meat, I think it also may have a positive effect by inhibiting methionine uptake.