Increasing beard density

jaype

Any recommendations for increasing beard density? I've searched the forum and seen a couple of posts mentioning Increasing Thyroid, milk consumption and vitamin d, among other things. From what I've read, it seems like DHT increases rate of growth (how fast it grows) but testosterone increases density? What I'm looking for is density/new growth to fill in patches.
I know minoxidil can work but I don't want to use it due to side effects. In a Ray Peat search engine result I heard Haidut mention topical DHEA can help?

I know there's a genetic aspect to this but If so many people have had success with minoxidil, from barely anything then maybe it's not all genetic and sure you can do things to stimulate it.

Mauritio

Any recommendations for increasing beard density? I've searched the forum and seen a couple of posts mentioning Increasing Thyroid, milk consumption and vitamin d, among other things. From what I've read, it seems like DHT increases rate of growth (how fast it grows) but testosterone increases density? What I'm looking for is density/new growth to fill in patches.
I know minoxidil can work but I don't want to use it due to side effects. In a Ray Peat search engine result I heard Haidut mention topical DHEA can help?

I know there's a genetic aspect to this but If so many people have had success with minoxidil, from barely anything then maybe it's not all genetic and sure you can do things to stimulate it.
Topical pregnenolone cream works for me. And I dont even use it often . but it fills in my patch spots nicely .

OP
J

jaype

Topical pregnenolone cream works for me. And I dont even use it often . but it fills in my patch spots nicely .
Nice, what product do you use if you don't mind sharing? Presumably something like topical pansterone would help then since it contains preg and dhea

Mauritio

Nice, what product do you use if you don't mind sharing? Presumably something like topical pansterone would help then since it contains preg and dhea
I use life flo pregnenolone cream . I think it's better in this case, as pansterone absorbs pretty rapidly and we dont want that in that case . The cream stays on for hours so has a longer time for beeing converted locally into steroids.
That's the theory. And even in praxis I noticed more benefits from the cream compared to stressnon.
Just my 2c + N=1

OP
J

jaype

I use life flo pregnenolone cream . I think it's better in this case, as pansterone absorbs pretty rapidly and we dont want that in that case . The cream stays on for hours so has a longer time for beeing converted locally into steroids.
That's the theory. And even in praxis I noticed more benefits from the cream compared to stressnon.
Just my 2c + N=1
Cool, thanks

Diokine

I came across this equation during research, I'm not sure how reliable it is

png.latex

All kidding aside, I think it helps to piss off your face. I have used a stiff bristled boar's hair brush to vigorously brush my beardal region to the point of mild irritation, and I think it has helped to increase density. Or you could watch This Old House with Bob Vila, I'm certain some sympathetic growth would be possible.

lucid&alive

It's not Peaty but people use Minoxidil to apparently grow permanent beards. Check out r/minoxbeards.

golder

Won’t the micro needle increase systemic absorption of minoxidil that we don’t want?

OP
J

jaype

Won’t the micro needle increase systemic absorption of minoxidil that we don’t want?
Yes it would. I won't use minoxidil. Micro needling by itself may work from what I've read.

Cameron

Maybe andro and 11 keto dht topical on face could activate androgen receptor in skin. Bit of a localized effect

Xin

Tried lots of products, micro needling and even contemplated a hair transplant. I ended up going with minoxidil 5% and couldn't be happier with the results. I've been using it for 6 months and I'm not too far from a full beard. Haven't experienced any side effects with the foam version of the product.

golder

Tried lots of products, micro needling and even contemplated a hair transplant. I ended up going with minoxidil 5% and couldn't be happier with the results. I've been using it for 6 months and I'm not too far from a full beard. Haven't experienced any side effects with the foam version of the product.
Can you link the foam product you use? Wouldn’t it be safer to use no (or very little) microneedling to avoid the minoxidil going more systemic rather than just topically in the beard area?

Redroad

I was
Maybe andro and 11 keto dht topical on face could activate androgen receptor in skin. Bit of a localized effect
I was thinking the same thing but wonder if it would work better in a oil mix vs ethanol to stay on beard longer vs absorbed faster for systemic. But I’m not well versed in all this.

OP
J

jaype

Interesting, the thing that I've seen with Minoxidil is that it sprouts very thin hair that doesn't look androgenic (ie thick and dark). Does it eventually turn dark and thick? what's your experience with this? Also have you noticed any side effects related to skin aging? I think it is anti collagen and some people get under eye circles.

Cameron

Interesting, the thing that I've seen with Minoxidil is that it sprouts very thin hair that doesn't look androgenic (ie thick and dark). Does it eventually turn dark and thick? what's your experience with this? Also have you noticed any side effects related to skin aging? I think it is anti collagen and some people get under eye circles.
Yeah interesting sometimes it’s just a lot more vellus fuzz but then 1 out of 10 guys will maybe see a huge warrior beard change out of nowhere. Interesting as it is a well know potassium Channel opener. But a year or two of just letting time takes its course can make a huge change. Time exposed to androgens rather than increasing androgens has a clear impact.

Xin

When I began using minoxidil, I went with the liquid version. It was unpleasant, it gave me a burning sensation and my skin became red and dry. I haven't experienced any side effects whatsoever with the foam version of minoxidil. Even if I've been using it for close to a year on and off, I've only been consistent for 6 months (twice a day).

It took about 3-4 weeks to see a noticeable change, mainly tiny vellus hair. With time they did become thick and dark after about 5-6 months.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals