Important Hormones For Building Muscle And Tips On How To Improve Them

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
isn't there a study that suggests these in combination could reduce DHT?
Only a few in vitro studies show that they are inhibitory, but in vivo studies show the opposite. I'd also rather get my nutrients from foods in the first place, and then supplement if deficient.

bboone

Only a few in vitro studies show that they are inhibitory, but in vivo studies show the opposite. I'd also rather get my nutrients from foods in the first place, and then supplement if deficient.

okay, thanks for clarifying. i was scared for a minute there

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
okay, thanks for clarifying. i was scared for a minute there
As far as I know there isn't in vivo studies on 5-ar with vitamin B6, but there is a few with zinc.
Zinc supplementation (120mg twice daily) significantly increased DHT (by 19%), and also slightly increased testosterone (8%) in eugonadal men (490 to 750ng/dl), showing an upregulation of 5 alpha reductase even at a very high dose zinc (30).

Anders86

@Hans You are a great contributor on this forum :clapping:

How often would you say to workout a week to give the body an optimal anabolic milieu?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans You are a great contributor on this forum :clapping:

How often would you say to workout a week to give the body an optimal anabolic milieu?
Thanks man. I'd say it depends on your health, but 3 times per week is pretty much "balanced". You can push it higher as long as it's not negatively affecting your metabolism. Weight training doesn't really have an effect on your androgens, unless it's intense, and then it's only acutely post-workout. If done correctly, it will help with insulin sensitivity, lowering baseline cortisol, lowering myostatin, improving metabolic flexibility and efficiency etc., and that should have a positive effect on your androgens.

I don't use weight training to boost my androgens, but rather my diet and lifestlye, so that the growth I get from weight training is optimal. Training can get detrimental real fast if diet, health and lifestyle aren't in check first.

Anders86

Thanks man. I'd say it depends on your health, but 3 times per week is pretty much "balanced". You can push it higher as long as it's not negatively affecting your metabolism. Weight training doesn't really have an effect on your androgens, unless it's intense, and then it's only acutely post-workout. If done correctly, it will help with insulin sensitivity, lowering baseline cortisol, lowering myostatin, improving metabolic flexibility and efficiency etc., and that should have a positive effect on your androgens.

I don't use weight training to boost my androgens, but rather my diet and lifestlye, so that the growth I get from weight training is optimal. Training can get detrimental real fast if diet, health and lifestyle aren't in check first.

Sounds very "logical". I suspect my gut and cortisol is related somewhat to overtraining. The days I have felt and looked best are days after last workout.

baccheion

How did your androgen levels change? What supplements? Any before/after lab work results?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
How did your androgen levels change? What supplements? Any before/after lab work results?
My previous diet, before "Peating", was mostly gut irritating foods, high PUFA, deficient in micros plus I was overtraining, getting too little sun, etc.
I mainly use methylene blue, caffeine, aspirin, divanil (testing it out), vitamin B1, K2, and just finished with tribulus.
I haven't done blood tests recently, but will do so in the future. I focus mainly on diet instead of supplements.
I gauge my hormone by how I feel (mood, and how I react to stressors and obstacles) and according to my skin, hair, nails, bowel movements, sleep quality, strength and endurance in and out of the gym, libido, etc.

Hairfedup

I really thought Myostatin was what made people muscular. A study years ago (2009) found a certain gene influenced by myostatin production that accounted for people of west-african descent being relatively more muscular.

Logan-

SSS

For those of you who seem to struggle with gaining muscle and just get fat instead, or if you're one of those people who just struggle to gain any weight at all, I trust that this post can be of some help to you.

First and foremost I'll be discussing the thyroid as your thyroid is extremely important for muscle growth...

Thyroid
Thyroid hormones increase and activate satellite cells in the muscles, increase myogenic (muscle growth) factors, lower myostatin (a negative regulator of muscle growth), convert slow twitch muscle fibers to fast twitch muscle fibers, increase steroidogenesis, increase cortisol excretion from the body, increase follistatin (positive regulator of muscle growth), increase IGF-1 levels and IGF-1 availability, and also increase the metabolic rate.

So as you can tell, thyroid function and thyroid hormones are crucial for anabolism.

Things that inhibit thyroid function are nutritional deficiencies, inflammation, gut-irritating foods (increase inflammation, endotoxins, prolactin, estrogen and serotonin which are all thyroid antagonists), serotonin, cortisol, insufficient calories and carbs, polyunsaturated fat, overtraining, chronic stress, etc.

Easy ways to boost thyroid function is to lower stress by taking a break from stressful situations (e.g. going for a walk, taking time to relax etc.), boosting dopamine and GABA, avoiding gut-irritating foods, getting lots of sunlight, consuming all your vitamins and minerals.

A few diet tips for promoting thyroid function is to eat easily digestible foods, consume calcium-rich foods, consume gelatin via bone broth or supplement (glycine is highly anti-inflammatory and lowers cortisol), eat more carbs than protein, keep PUFA intake as low as possible and try to avoid empty calories (as they use up the body's nutrients to be processed but don't provide the body with any nutrients of their own).

Cortisol
Cortisol is a significant negative regulator of muscle growth. It decreases thyroid function and thyroid hormone conversion, lowers IGF-1, increases myostatin and proteolysis (muscle breakdown), induces insulin resistance, inhibits steroidogenesis, increases the aromatase and inhibits muscle protein synthesis.

Cortisol is elevated when thyroid hormones are reduced as well as during inflammation, stress, etc.

Trenbolone, which is one of the most potent anabolic steroids, is a very potent inhibitor of the cortisol receptor. Actually, cortisol receptors are several fold higher in the muscle compared to androgen receptors, thus blocking the cortisol receptor or lowering cortisol levels have a very anabolic effect on the muscle.

Things that increase cortisol is low blood sugar, overexertion, training past fatigue and failure, long distance running, too much HIIT, low carb diet, inflammation, polyunsaturated fat, etc.

Things you can do to keep cortisol in check is to eat a low polyunsaturated diet (PUFAs cause inflammation and I personally found my DOMS are significantly less and my cortisol is much lower when my PUFA intake is low), eat lots of carbs, avoid long workouts, use supplements that lower cortisol, such as glycine, taurine, ornithine, PS, vit D, magnesium, etc.

Follistatin & Myostatin
As mentioned above, myostatin reduces anabolism and increases fat mass, whereas follistatin reduces myostatin, boosts muscle growth and lowers fat mass. Fertilized eggs are a great source of follistatin; that's one reason Vince Gironda advised to eat 2 dozen raw eggs daily.

A few things that decrease myostatin and increase follistatin are creatine, caffeine, Epichatechin (found in cocoa), testosterone, vitamin D, vit A, vit E, glycine, taurine, thyroid, etc.

Endotoxins, inflammation, cortisol, etc, increase myostatin and lowers follistatin.

So the point I'm trying to make is that anything that slows the metabolism, inhibits thyroid function and increases cortisol will negatively affect muscle growth.

IGF-1
Growth hormone actually increases myostatin gene expression, but IGF-1 overrides myostatin. So you don't want elevated GH, but elevated IGF-1. However, boosting GH to increase IGF-1 isn't a good idea, in my opinion, and IGF-1 won't necessarily increase due to higher levels of GH.

IGF-1 significantly increases muscle growth as it stimulates satellite cells, increases glucose and amino transport into the muscles, lowers inflammation, etc.

IGF binding protein 3 (IGFBP-3) prolongs the circulation and biological action of IGF-1, which stimulates muscle hypertrophy. IGFBP-3 and IGF-1 are significantly elevated post workout and are observed to stimulate protein synthesis and subsequently muscle hypertrophy. In fact, IGFBP-3 has been shown to have a significant and direct effect on muscle cell growth, even without the presence of IGF-1.

We want both IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 elevated (balanced) because a low IGF-I:IGFBP-3 ratio is associated with increased waist-to-hip ratio, but a high IGF-1:IGFBP-3 ratio is associated with baldness, cancer and other diseases.

Things that increase IGF-1 are DHEA are vitamin D, vit A, protein, milk, calcium, magnesium, zinc, exercise, egg yolks, potassium, taurine, etc.

Things that increase IGFBP-3 is magnesium, vitamin A, vit B6, zinc, copper, HIIT, etc.

Things that decrease IGF-1 is inflammation, cortisol, intermittent fasting, etc.

Things that decrease IGFBP-3 is estrogen, inflammation, overtraining (increase cortisol to testosterone ratio), endotoxins, etc.

Conclusion
So to take it all together. Thyroid function is really crucial for muscle growth. To further potentiate hypertrophy and strength gains lowering cortisol and boosting follistatin and IGF-1 would be most important. Androgens are also very important, but increasing the number of androgen receptors as well as their sensitivity is more important.

For those that don't have an appetite or struggle to eat enough, your histamine might be too high, hence reduced appetite.
For those of you who seem to struggle with gaining muscle and just get fat instead, or if you're one of those people who just struggle to gain any weight at all, I trust that this post can be of some help to you.

First and foremost I'll be discussing the thyroid as your thyroid is extremely important for muscle growth...

Thyroid
Thyroid hormones increase and activate satellite cells in the muscles, increase myogenic (muscle growth) factors, lower myostatin (a negative regulator of muscle growth), convert slow twitch muscle fibers to fast twitch muscle fibers, increase steroidogenesis, increase cortisol excretion from the body, increase follistatin (positive regulator of muscle growth), increase IGF-1 levels and IGF-1 availability, and also increase the metabolic rate.

So as you can tell, thyroid function and thyroid hormones are crucial for anabolism.

Things that inhibit thyroid function are nutritional deficiencies, inflammation, gut-irritating foods (increase inflammation, endotoxins, prolactin, estrogen and serotonin which are all thyroid antagonists), serotonin, cortisol, insufficient calories and carbs, polyunsaturated fat, overtraining, chronic stress, etc.

Easy ways to boost thyroid function is to lower stress by taking a break from stressful situations (e.g. going for a walk, taking time to relax etc.), boosting dopamine and GABA, avoiding gut-irritating foods, getting lots of sunlight, consuming all your vitamins and minerals.

A few diet tips for promoting thyroid function is to eat easily digestible foods, consume calcium-rich foods, consume gelatin via bone broth or supplement (glycine is highly anti-inflammatory and lowers cortisol), eat more carbs than protein, keep PUFA intake as low as possible and try to avoid empty calories (as they use up the body's nutrients to be processed but don't provide the body with any nutrients of their own).

Cortisol
Cortisol is a significant negative regulator of muscle growth. It decreases thyroid function and thyroid hormone conversion, lowers IGF-1, increases myostatin and proteolysis (muscle breakdown), induces insulin resistance, inhibits steroidogenesis, increases the aromatase and inhibits muscle protein synthesis.

Cortisol is elevated when thyroid hormones are reduced as well as during inflammation, stress, etc.

Trenbolone, which is one of the most potent anabolic steroids, is a very potent inhibitor of the cortisol receptor. Actually, cortisol receptors are several fold higher in the muscle compared to androgen receptors, thus blocking the cortisol receptor or lowering cortisol levels have a very anabolic effect on the muscle.

Things that increase cortisol is low blood sugar, overexertion, training past fatigue and failure, long distance running, too much HIIT, low carb diet, inflammation, polyunsaturated fat, etc.

Things you can do to keep cortisol in check is to eat a low polyunsaturated diet (PUFAs cause inflammation and I personally found my DOMS are significantly less and my cortisol is much lower when my PUFA intake is low), eat lots of carbs, avoid long workouts, use supplements that lower cortisol, such as glycine, taurine, ornithine, PS, vit D, magnesium, etc.

Follistatin & Myostatin
As mentioned above, myostatin reduces anabolism and increases fat mass, whereas follistatin reduces myostatin, boosts muscle growth and lowers fat mass. Fertilized eggs are a great source of follistatin; that's one reason Vince Gironda advised to eat 2 dozen raw eggs daily.

A few things that decrease myostatin and increase follistatin are creatine, caffeine, Epichatechin (found in cocoa), testosterone, vitamin D, vit A, vit E, glycine, taurine, thyroid, etc.

Endotoxins, inflammation, cortisol, etc, increase myostatin and lowers follistatin.

So the point I'm trying to make is that anything that slows the metabolism, inhibits thyroid function and increases cortisol will negatively affect muscle growth.

IGF-1
Growth hormone actually increases myostatin gene expression, but IGF-1 overrides myostatin. So you don't want elevated GH, but elevated IGF-1. However, boosting GH to increase IGF-1 isn't a good idea, in my opinion, and IGF-1 won't necessarily increase due to higher levels of GH.

IGF-1 significantly increases muscle growth as it stimulates satellite cells, increases glucose and amino transport into the muscles, lowers inflammation, etc.

IGF binding protein 3 (IGFBP-3) prolongs the circulation and biological action of IGF-1, which stimulates muscle hypertrophy. IGFBP-3 and IGF-1 are significantly elevated post workout and are observed to stimulate protein synthesis and subsequently muscle hypertrophy. In fact, IGFBP-3 has been shown to have a significant and direct effect on muscle cell growth, even without the presence of IGF-1.

We want both IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 elevated (balanced) because a low IGF-I:IGFBP-3 ratio is associated with increased waist-to-hip ratio, but a high IGF-1:IGFBP-3 ratio is associated with baldness, cancer and other diseases.

Things that increase IGF-1 are DHEA are vitamin D, vit A, protein, milk, calcium, magnesium, zinc, exercise, egg yolks, potassium, taurine, etc.

Things that increase IGFBP-3 is magnesium, vitamin A, vit B6, zinc, copper, HIIT, etc.

Things that decrease IGF-1 is inflammation, cortisol, intermittent fasting, etc.

Things that decrease IGFBP-3 is estrogen, inflammation, overtraining (increase cortisol to testosterone ratio), endotoxins, etc.

Conclusion
So to take it all together. Thyroid function is really crucial for muscle growth. To further potentiate hypertrophy and strength gains lowering cortisol and boosting follistatin and IGF-1 would be most important. Androgens are also very important, but increasing the number of androgen receptors as well as their sensitivity is more important.

For those that don't have an appetite or struggle to eat enough, your histamine might be too high, hence reduced appetite.[/QUOTE

Thyroid

Cortisol

Follistatin & Myostatin

IGF-1

Conclusion

For those that don't have an appetite or struggle to eat enough, your histamine might be too high, hence reduced appetite.

Thanks for the info.

what do you recommend for someone who is shedding hair? I remember a member named elepehanto suggested always to keep igfbp3 much higher than igfbp1, but you think this low ratio will cause you get a bigger waist to hip ratio

thanks

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the info.

what do you recommend for someone who is shedding hair? I remember a member named elepehanto suggested always to keep igfbp3 much higher than igfbp1, but you think this low ratio will cause you get a bigger waist to hip ratio

thanks
I don't think one should specifically focus on regulating the binding proteins, but rather on optimizing the whole system. Regulating IGF-1 and its binding proteins are all about improving insulin sensitivity, lowering inflammation and eating a nutritious diet with all your micros in abundance.

SSS

I don't think one should specifically focus on regulating the binding proteins, but rather on optimizing the whole system. Regulating IGF-1 and its binding proteins are all about improving insulin sensitivity, lowering inflammation and eating a nutritious diet with all your micros in abundance.

thanks for the reply, for someone who is losing hair you think this is the best avenue to correct the condition ? For someone like elephanto, who thinks raising igfbp3 over igfbp1 and had good results with his hair, will run into problems down the road ?

thanks

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
thanks for the reply, for someone who is losing hair you think this is the best avenue to correct the condition ? For someone like elephanto, who thinks raising igfbp3 over igfbp1 and had good results with his hair, will run into problems down the road ?

thanks
There are many causes of baldness so I don't think focusing on one would be the way to go. For example, magnesium can alleviate mood, relax muscles, promote energy production, lower inflammation, reduce leaky gut, module the IGF-1 system, etc. So things like that would have a universal effect rather than a specific, so that's why I think it's best to focus on the bigger picture.

Hgreen56

Cortisol

i have experiment with these supplements for a long time and always notice most of the time after taking it got some sedative/sleepy symptoms. Body feels more heavy, less energy, want to sit down, don't want to psychical active.
For me its annoying because i don't get things done.
if i push myself to work than i think adrenalin/stress/Anxiety kicks in.. but not sure. is this possible?

I wondering, are these symptoms normal if someone take cortisol decreasing supplements?
are these typical low cortisol symptoms?
Or can be other reason why i felt this way?

i know my cortisol was a decade ago on the high end, but on the moment i dont now and can't check it with blood

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
i have experiment with these supplements for a long time and always notice most of the time after taking it got some sedative/sleepy symptoms. Body feels more heavy, less energy, want to sit down, don't want to psychical active.
For me its annoying because i don't get things done.
if i push myself to work than i think adrenalin/stress/Anxiety kicks in.. but not sure. is this possible?

I wondering, are these symptoms normal if someone take cortisol decreasing supplements?
are these typical low cortisol symptoms?
Or can be other reason why i felt this way?

i know my cortisol was a decade ago on the high end, but on the moment i dont now and can't check it with blood
Well how do you typically feel? Are you generally chill, driven and confident or more on the anxiety side?
If you're more on the anxiety side, then you might be more adrenal driven and your neural sympathetic drive might be a little low. So lowering adrenal drive would "sap" your energy, because you're not driven by the neural sympathetic nervous system.
There's a balance for everything, too little noradrenaline, dopamine, histamine and glutamate and you'll feel more sapped. Too much and you'll feel anxious and all over the place.
Which one of those supplements affects you the worse?

GreekDemiGod

This happens to me too. With any cortisol-lowering substances.
I am also wondering why they say cortisol is so antagonizing to muscle growth. I built my best physique, the most amount of muscle while heavily relying on my adrenals

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals