High Protein Intake Increases Muscle Mass Even W/o Training

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Giraffe said:
post 105697
haidut said:
post 105632 Why do you care about the wash out period?
I did not mean a wash-out period, but the lack of a baseline. If you look at the figure with the study design, you see that both groups on hypercaloric diets were two weeks on HP conditions and two weeks on the NP conditions. Only the order was different (HP-NP vs NP-HP). At the end of each two-weeks period the body composition was measured. All data were pooled (table 3). The higher lean mass on HP conditions compared to NP conditions could be the result of a loss of lean mass during NP conditions.

That is possible, yes. But if there was loss of muscle mass involved in NP I would expect it to be reported. In many studies, loss of muscle mass is grounds for stopping the study altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jehonadab

I know this is an old thread but has anyone applied the information in this study and can you tell us about your results ? I came across another thread sort of discouraging the use of cheese as a main source of protein because it lacks B vitamins. I put honey in cottage cheese [ Daisy brand, no carrageenan ] and Greek yogurt which is pretty rich in Bs. Anyway, updates will be much appreciated, thanks.

Ideonaut

Re: High protein intake increases muscle mass even w/o train

The gelatin is made by cooking bones and stuff, for a very long time. Some lead and other similar metals like to seep into these kind of tissues as the animal grows.

I know heavy duty body builders don't start excreting nitrogen until like 300g a day... Maybe that would be too much because of the sulphur or the kidneys getting overworked.
As I recall, Great Lakes gelatin is made from cow hides. I wouldn't in general expect skin to have a lot of heavy metals like bones.

Soren

Forum Supporter
Myprotein.com sells milk protein concentrate in bulk. I use it combined with gelatin.

I have noticed myself from doing very little exercise the past month and eating a lot of extra protein. Weight has definitely come down.

Kartoffel

As I recall, Great Lakes gelatin is made from cow hides. I wouldn't in general expect skin to have a lot of heavy metals like bones.

But a lot of endotoxin.

Jehonadab

Yes - Why?
I'm not sure if it's Peat friendly. I am trying to get 200g of protein a day. I have been doing it mostly with pastured eggs, cheese and Greek yogurt but according to someone on this forum even pastured eggs these days are high in PUFA. I can't keep eating as much cheese as I have been plus I haven't found cheese with just rennet. Whey protein powder is not recommended and casein powder seems questionable so I was wondering if egg whites powder has any drawbacks.

Kartoffel

I'm not sure if it's Peat friendly. I am trying to get 200g of protein a day. I have been doing it mostly with pastured eggs, cheese and Greek yogurt but according to someone on this forum even pastured eggs these days are high in PUFA. I can't keep eating as much cheese as I have been plus I haven't found cheese with just rennet. Whey protein powder is not recommended and casein powder seems questionable so I was wondering if egg whites powder has any drawbacks.

Yes, but why do you need to get egg white powder - a manufactured product that probably contains lots of impurities and irritants - when you can just buy a few boxes of eggs, and then seperate the yolk from the white? If you just eat the egg white, they don't even have to be good/expensive eggs, and the PUFA doesn't matter because most of it is in the yolk.

Jehonadab

Convenience. I know I will not stick to that long term. I run everything through the realistically will I … filter. I don't know if the egg whites powder will do well in a shaker but I figure I could put it in canned fruit-in juice which I eat a fair amount of.

boris

I can't keep eating as much cheese as I have been plus I haven't found cheese with just rennet.

Parmigiano Reggiano should be widely available. It's made with just raw milk, rennet & salt.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals