Soy protein detrimental for muscles strength in older people

haidut

A humans study, which once again confirms the detrimental effect of soy on muscles. According to the authors, the effect is likely due to the estrogenic properties of soy.
Btw, the high dairy protein group had the biggest increase in strength gain.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 1415000400

"...Increased soy protein intake attenuated gains in muscle strength during resistance training in older adults compared with increased intake of dairy protein or usual protein intake."

sladerunner69

Intresting I was under the impression that soy was estrogenic because of the phytoestrogens that are present in its fat, not its protein. I thought soy protein was relatively free from anything besides the amino acids...

haidut

Intresting I was under the impression that soy was estrogenic because of the phytoestrogens that are present in its fat, not its protein. I thought soy protein was relatively free from anything besides the amino acids...

I think it is very hard to find soy protein without the estrogenic isoflavones. In fact, most soy protein is sold with them since they are considered beneficial and acting like a type of SERM.

sladerunner69

I think it is very hard to find soy protein without the estrogenic isoflavones. In fact, most soy protein is sold with them since they are considered beneficial and acting like a type of SERM.

The whole concept of SERM is confusing to me.... I have trouble believing certain estrogens are more harmful than others when estrogen as a chemical compound is well-defined and specific. So if it's role is to turn off certain receptors I suppose that could be beneficial, albeit not at the cost of consuming further estrogen...

Blossom

The whole concept of SERM is confusing to me.... I have trouble believing certain estrogens are more harmful than others when estrogen as a chemical compound is well-defined and specific. So if it's role is to turn off certain receptors I suppose that could be beneficial, albeit not at the cost of consuming further estrogen...
It's designed to be confusing. Ray predicted this would happen back in 1999.
Estrogen Article just published (from 1999) | Ray Peat Forum

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
GutFeeling Casein, Zein And Gluten Reduces Cortex Tryptophan, Lactaalbumin, Soy Protein Increase It Scientific Studies 1
haidut Dairy best for endotoxin protection; soy protein worst Scientific Studies 1
Bodhi Satoshi Nakamoto admits he has aspergers and is low thyroid and against Soy .... Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 12
DANIEL Make Sure Your Eggs Are Soy-Free! Diet 16
G Is Soy Flour Problematic? Starches, Fiber, Legumes 3
M Normalize A Child's Estrogen After A Year On Soy Formula? Ask For Help or Advice 32
postman How Much Soy Lecithin Is Commonly Used In Chocolate? Sweets, Snacks 13
L Transfer Of Soy Isoflavone Into The Egg Yolk Of Chickens Dairy, Eggs 1
homyak Soy Isoflavones + Cayenne For Hair Loss Experiments 0
TheBeard Rugged Vs Soy Boy Male Issues 38
pauljacob Chicken Fed Soy Meal Increase Estrogen In The Body Animals 8
yerrag Trump Admin To Crack Down On Soy? Diet 2
L Thorne Research Vitamin K2 Derived From Soy? K 16
HealthisWealth What Symptoms You Get From Eating Soy, Wheat, Goitrogens? Symptoms, Causes 5
M Why Does Soy Reduce Estrogen Levels In Studies? Scientific Studies 17
alywest Somehow Soy Pufa Is Ok For Progest-E? Ask For Help or Advice 5
Mito FDA Moves To Revoke Soy Health Claim Articles & Scientific Studies 8
Elize Best Soy Free Progesterone To Use Metabolism 6
Max. Powered Milk And Soy Lethicin Ask For Help or Advice 4
PaulaV Progest E And Soy Female Issues 22
Let Go Subway's Soy Chicken Miscellaneous 2
C Phytoestrogens In Soy Vs. Estrogens In Milk Doubts About Milk 27
B Soy Isoflavones Have An Antiestrogenic Effect Scientific Studies 19
P Your Breasts Don’t Lie: Soy, Flax And Other Estrogenic Foods And Herbs Trigger Precancerous Breasts Thyroid and Hormones 17
T Raw milk ice cream or Organic IC without Soy Lecithin Milk 4
B Concerns about adverse effects [from soy] are not supported by the clinical or epidemiologic literat Articles & Scientific Studies 5
haidut Another study shows GMO soy can cause serious health problems Scientific Studies 0
Amazoniac Experience With Fermented Soy Products Vegetables, Grains, Legumes, Fiber 11
haidut Soy has negative effect on breast cancer patients Scientific Studies 3
Bluebell Bio-Identical Progesterone From Soy? Progesterone 3
haidut Tofu / Soy Is Toxic To The Brain Scientific Studies 5
M Ack, Soy. Messtafarian 13
J Soy allergies and Vitamin Supplement Intolerance Supplements 0
J Soy Lecithin Free Chocolate Sweets, Snacks 33
P Why does everything have gums and soy Rant or Rave 8
J Soy Lecithin Articles & Scientific Studies 51
D Which Vitamin E Products Don't Contain Soy Oil? E 14
Jam Lipid bilayer degradation induced by SARS-CoV-2 spike protein as revealed by neutron reflectometry Scientific Studies 0
S Your opinion on the Protein Leverage Hypothesis? Diet 4
Hgreen56 High levels of a parathyroid hormone-like protein in milk Milk 0
meatbag Stop recommending Ivermectin, it inhibits Importin α/β, an esential protein for cellular processes Scientific Studies 63
Rinse & rePeat Jackfruit - The Protein Surprise! Fruits 77
A Decreased cognitive function caused by spike protein exposure? Prions Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 53
ddjd OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE COVID-19 IS AN ONCOGENIC, HYPERINFLAMMATORY MITOCHONDRIAL DISEASE OF IRON METABOLISM CAUSED BY THE SPIKE PROTEIN Ask For Help or Advice 13
8 Viruses other than SARS-CoV-2 that permanently produce proteins? And spike protein's unique effects to diet-autoimmune dynamic? Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 11
md_a Genetically engineered 'Magneto' protein remotely controls brain and behaviour / `Magneto` SPIKE PROTEIN Articles & Scientific Studies 8
Diokine Thiamin and protein folding B1 0
A Aspirin and NSAIDs inhibit protein synthesis? Aspirin and bodybuilding Diet 4
md_a COVID-19 Is a Vascular Disease: Coronavirus’ Spike Protein Attacks Vascular System on a Cellular Level Scientific Studies 3
Jam Lack of antibodies against seasonal coronavirus OC43 nucleocapsid protein identifies patients at risk of critical COVID-19 Scientific Studies 0