Taurine Dramatically Improves Protein Utilization From Food

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
She is probably referring to what the guy on the other forum said:

Yes, GABA receptor downregulation is a thing to keep in mind but taurine and other calming aminos like glycine, theanine and alanine also stimulate the synthesis of GABA. We can't completely avoid the chemical that acts as agonist on a receptor. Otherwise, we should all be reducing GABA synthesis since that would increase receptor sensitivity. Unfortunately, doing that can lead to seizures from something as small as car engine noise. Anxiety is usually an issue with GABA deficiency (if it is due to GABA at all), so upping GABA synthesis and/or using some GABA agonist like taurine should achieve the best of both worlds. The only people who have an issue with GABA downregulation are people chonically abusing benzos and then stopping or alcoholics in withdrawal.

Wagner83

Yes, GABA receptor downregulation is a thing to keep in mind but taurine and other calming aminos like glycine, theanine and alanine also stimulate the synthesis of GABA. We can't completely avoid the chemical that acts as agonist on a receptor. Otherwise, we should all be reducing GABA synthesis since that would increase receptor sensitivity. Unfortunately, doing that can lead to seizures from something as small as car engine noise. Anxiety is usually an issue with GABA deficiency (if it is due to GABA at all), so upping GABA synthesis and/or using some GABA agonist like taurine should achieve the best of both worlds. The only people who have an issue with GABA downregulation are people chonically abusing benzos and then stopping or alcoholics in withdrawal.
Ok, so I guess the combination of a need for more Gaba and the reasonable potency of taurine and the likes (vs benzos) make it quite safe (but maybe shouldn't be used indefinitely, like most things).
On wikipedia they say Androsterone is a positive allosteric modulator of the gaba a receptors but their source is a study on "etiocholanolone" which they claim is the same molecule; benzos are positive allosteric modulator of the gaba a receptors too so if their assumption is true then maybe it is something to keep in mind when supplementing with androsterone.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ok, so I guess the combination of a need for more Gaba and the reasonable potency of taurine and the likes (vs benzos) make it quite safe (but maybe shouldn't be used indefinitely, like most things).
On wikipedia they say Androsterone is a positive allosteric modulator of the gaba a receptors but their source is a study on "etiocholanolone" which they claim is the same molecule; benzos are positive allosteric modulator of the gaba a receptors too so if their assumption is true then maybe it is something to keep in mind when supplementing with androsterone.

Most strong androgens are GABA agonists, including androsterone. I posted about this in both the master androsterone thread and a separate one (see below).
Androsterone - A Potent Anxiolytic, Sedative, And Anti-convulsant Neurosteroid

Wagner83

Most strong androgens are GABA agonists, including androsterone. I posted about this in both the master androsterone thread and a separate one (see below).
Androsterone - A Potent Anxiolytic, Sedative, And Anti-convulsant Neurosteroid
What I meant is they seem to suggest it's not just a gaba agonist but functions the same way benzos do and the latter can induce downregulation. You already gave your thoughts here though :
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...ti-convulsant-neurosteroid.12603/#post-172092