Taurine Effective Against Hypervitaminosis A In Rats

goodandevil

Abstract
A study was undertaken to investigate the effect of taurine on the toxicity of vitamin A in male wistar rats. The rats were divided into six groups and fed different diets with or without supplements of 5% taurine and 25,000–50,000 (IU) vitamin A for 2 months. It was found that the body weight of rats, the ratios of liver and kidney weight to body weight, and the level of glutathione in the liver were decreased with increasing the dose of vitamin A. The levels of vitamin A in the liver and kidney, the levels of thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances (TBARS) in the plasma and liver, the activities of aspartate transaminase (AST) and alanine transaminase (ALT) in the plasma, and the levels of blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine in the plasma of rats were increased with the increasing dose of vitamin A. Hence, symptoms of vitamin A toxicity in rats included loss of body weight, hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity. However, these toxic effects of vitamin A were significantly reduced when the rats were fed the diet with the supplement of taurine. Furthermore, the level of vitamin A in the serum of rats treated with taurine and vitamin A was higher than that of rats treated with vitamin A alone. This indicated that taurine might play a role in reducing the toxic effect of vitamin A in rats.

schultz

Wow, that is a tremendous dose for a rat.

Interestingly, the 50,000IU+Taurine group had less vitamin A in the liver than the 25,000IU group that didn't get any taurine, but had higher serum and kidney levels. Unfortunately they only hint at what they think the taurine is doing...

"Taurine is a special amino acid, which possesses an amino group and a sulfonate group. These functional groups might bind with vitamin A, and then stimulate the excretion of such compounds."

Ray has talked about the liver attaching sulfate to various things, so I wonder if taurine increases the livers ability to do this, or simply provides the sulfate? It might be interesting if this were true as it's possible it helps in getting rid of other things like estrogen.

In the study they mention that mollusks are a good source of taurine, which I didn't know. I wonder if that changes with cooking?

GorillaHead

Abstract
A study was undertaken to investigate the effect of taurine on the toxicity of vitamin A in male wistar rats. The rats were divided into six groups and fed different diets with or without supplements of 5% taurine and 25,000–50,000 (IU) vitamin A for 2 months. It was found that the body weight of rats, the ratios of liver and kidney weight to body weight, and the level of glutathione in the liver were decreased with increasing the dose of vitamin A. The levels of vitamin A in the liver and kidney, the levels of thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances (TBARS) in the plasma and liver, the activities of aspartate transaminase (AST) and alanine transaminase (ALT) in the plasma, and the levels of blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine in the plasma of rats were increased with the increasing dose of vitamin A. Hence, symptoms of vitamin A toxicity in rats included loss of body weight, hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity. However, these toxic effects of vitamin A were significantly reduced when the rats were fed the diet with the supplement of taurine. Furthermore, the level of vitamin A in the serum of rats treated with taurine and vitamin A was higher than that of rats treated with vitamin A alone. This indicated that taurine might play a role in reducing the toxic effect of vitamin A in rats.
How does increasinf retinol serum fix the toxicity. If anything this is saying there is now more system retinol. Can someone explain this?

PaRa

How does increasinf retinol serum fix the toxicity. If anything this is saying there is now more system retinol. Can someone explain this?
bc if you want to lower stored retinol it has to go into the serum

GorillaHead

bc if you want to lower stored retinol it has to go into the serum

But this doesnt explain how it solves retinol toxiticity. Its still in your body. U just moved it around not out of the body.

I am just looking for way to dump retinol out of my body. Taurine and Retinol dosing seems to increase my dandruff now by alot

PaRa

But this doesnt explain how it solves retinol toxiticity. Its still in your body. U just moved it around not out of the body.

I am just looking for way to dump retinol out of my body. Taurine and Retinol dosing seems to increase my dandruff now by alot
serum is a step, IIRC its excreted into the bile out of the body

so lowA + high fibers + time will be the best IMO, its basically what I and @youngsinatra are doing

mostly meat and fibery starches / veggies you tolerate

youngsinatra

serum is a step, IIRC its excreted into the bile out of the body

so lowA + high fibers + time will be the best IMO, its basically what I and @youngsinatra are doing

mostly meat and fibery starches / veggies you tolerate
Yeah, at this point I gave up on the hope for a supplemental miracle that will mitigate the toxic effects of vitamin A.

I had the wrong impression from multiple sources that vitamin D, C or E will protect against vitamin A toxicity, but from my experience - it simply does not work that way. Your body still stores most of that excess of vitamin A in your liver and will cause a lot of issues in the long-term.

These „protective“ supplements may help to mobilize vitamin A from the serum and move it more so to the liver. (which gives relief of symptoms, but will not fix the underlying issue)

Getting rid of vitamin A works best by proper elimination through: bile -> GI-tract -> binding of bile (fiber) > poop

Taurine could help in the process, as it promotes bile secretion, but it could also backfire, when you have cholestasis or no dietary fiber, which would lead to 90-95% reabsorption of vitamin A)

It‘s a very slow process unfortunately.

GorillaHead

Yeah, at this point I gave up on the hope for a supplemental miracle that will mitigate the toxic effects of vitamin A.

I had the wrong impression from multiple sources that vitamin D, C or E will protect against vitamin A toxicity, but from my experience - it simply does not work that way. Your body still stores most of that excess of vitamin A in your liver and will cause a lot of issues in the long-term.

These „protective“ supplements may help to mobilize vitamin A from the serum and move it more so to the liver. (which gives relief of symptoms, but will not fix the underlying issue)

Getting rid of vitamin A works best by proper elimination through: bile -> GI-tract -> binding of bile (fiber) > poop

Taurine could help in the process, as it promotes bile secretion, but it could also backfire, when you have cholestasis or no dietary fiber, which would lead to 90-95% reabsorption of vitamin A)

It‘s a very slow process unfortunately.
Soluble fiber?

youngsinatra

Soluble fiber?
I think soluble fiber has the highest binding affinity for bile, so for that purpose it would be probably best, but if you cannot tolerate soluble fiber, then I‘d increase the fiber sources that you can tolerate.

GorillaHead

I think soluble fiber has the highest binding affinity for bile, so for that purpose it would be probably best, but if you cannot tolerate soluble fiber, then I‘d increase the fiber sources that you can tolerate.
I tolerate it very well actually. Apple pectin is my fav. Helped heal alot of my gut issues in the past. I hope this solves my dandruff issues.

Its crazy because at one point retinol stopped it. But now i take retinol and the next day the shedding of flakes is insane. And same thing with taurine

Candeias

Taurine also dries out my skin a lot, it reminds me of retenyl acetate, there must be some connection between the two

Miggie

Taurine also dries out my skin a lot, it reminds me of retenyl acetate, there must be some connection between the two
thats the A doing that. Taurine pushes it into the serum and if it isn't removed through the bile it can cause damage that way.