Hair Loss Screwed Me Up

Pointless

Okay man, since it seems you have a problem with Peat lets forget about him.

What exactly do you think milk is doing that causes hairloss? It seems your having problems with it. Are you consuming it by itself? It's possible you have terrible blood sugar and that the protein in the milk is crashing it causing an elevation in cortisol. For a lot of people the amount of carbohydrate in milk isn't enough to prevent hypoglycemia from milk drinking.

Prevention of hypoglycemia: a controlled evaluation of sugar fortified milk feeding in small-for-gestational age infants

"The study highlights that sugar-fortified milk feeds are useful in preventing hypoglycemia in SGA infants and should be routinely recommended along with breast feeding in developing countries especially when facilities for monitoring of blood sugar are unsatisfactory or not available."

If you're having problems with milk consider mixing some sugar into it and see if you get the same reaction.

Milk causes hypoglycemia?!?!? I poured some grape juice conce trade in mine, and I feel so relaxed! What a difference from the anxiety and irritability I usually get from lots of milk.

johnwester130

Hair shedding involves thyroid, prolactin, serotonin, estrogen, cortisol ,prostaglandins, testosterone, progesterone, vitamin d, melatonin etc

male pattern baldness is caused by the skull shape and scalp muscles.

It's two different things, with minor overlapping ideas.

johnwester130

He hasn't disproved it.
The scalp muscles are different in bald men
Roddy only proves that estrogen, prolactin, and hormonal imbalances can cause hair shedding, not male pattern baldness, even though there is a slight overlap between them.

Hair Loss: The Mechanics of Male Pattern Baldness
Involvement of Mechanical Stress in Androgenetic Alopecia

propecia can alter facial structure
"This happened to me also. I used to have a lean, angular face before and during Propecia. But in the months going off, now that I look back at pictures, my face began to round, in the cheeks, around the mouth and jaw line softened more. My face also began to look less vibrant. I didn't realize it was happening at the time but it happened rather quickly. Hasn't changed back at all to pre-fin appearance. Going on 3 years off Propecia. "

Pointless

I too am losing my hair since applying any Ray Peat suggestions. Fruit juice and milk both make my scalp itch. It all started with progesterone. I took too much and lost a lot of hair. It's thinning really fast. It falls out mostly over my temples and just above my ears, but it itches all over.

A lot of the advice is kind of confusing, and I don't know why things that otherwise make me feel great are also making my scalp itch and feel warm.

I suppose maybe it could be a fungus? I'm trying sublimed sulfur topically in aloe Vera gel.

It seems a lot of people have this issue starting with a Peat diet, that's hard to deny.

tara

Welcome Ulvi,
My diet consist of :4-5 cups of OJ , 6-7 cups of milk , daily carrot , Vitamin E 400IU , Niacinamide 250 mg , Aspirin , Levothyroxine 50mcg ( since I am subclinical hypothyroid ) , Taurine 1,5 g , Gelatin Great Lakes daily around 5-6 teaspoons , weekly liver and occasionally oysters , Vitamin K2 (asMk7 ) , Vitamin A 5000 IU daily .
I have no particular knowledge about hair loss, but some thoughts on general metabolism, which is probably related.
I'm guessing you are male, wondering how old.
Is the levothyroxine bringing your body temperature and resting heart-rate up to normal? Monitoring body temps and pulse is one of the simpler ways to assess whether what you are doing is heading you in the right direction.

This looks like a low calorie diet to me. I haven't calculated exactly, but of the order of ~200g carbs/sugar, ~100g protein, not much fat. Is this typical of how much you were eating before the last three weeks of eating a more Peat-inspired diet? If so, I wonder if chronic fuel deficiency is a contributor to your hypothyroid state. If you were eating more normal amounts before, then maybe the current fuel restriction is adding to your troubles now? If you have been chronically starving, I'd suggest gradually bringing your calorie consumption up - maybe double or more if you are hungry for more. Probably by including more calorie-dense food, not doubling the amounts of water from milk and OJ. I don't guarantee this will fix hair loss, but if you keep starving yourself long-term, you are likely to have bigger problems than hairloss in your future.

Peat's general recommendation is to eat for a highish metabolism, not necessarily exactly the same food for everyone. Milk is great food unless it isn't, and Peat generally recommends finding milk that agrees with you and drinking it. He says some people who have difficulty with milk can restore the ability to digest it well by reintroducing it in gradually increasing amounts. Some of us (me included) have trouble using it well, and do better without or with less. Or as Meatbag suggested above, it may not be calorie/carb dense enough for your current state. Adding sugar or using sweetened condensed milk could be worth try. Some of us do well with more starchy foods (eg potatoes, rice) in addition to sugars from fruit/juice, honey, etc, others seem to do better with little or no starch.

The niacinamide would probably be most useful split between meals.

Pointless

@Pointless were you losing hair before you started 'peating'

No I've always had the hairline I've had since adolescence. I'm 31 now. Just to be clear, I have a receding hairline but also diffuse shedding, especially noticeable over my ears. The sublimed sulfur aloe vera gel seems to be helping. I think I have fewer hairs falling out, but it could be wishful thinking. Also, I won't discount that some other change in my diet is affecting things.

forterpride

wrong

even danny roddy noticed it and wrote about it in his blog

facial muscles theory - taking detumescence theory even further

there's an obvious connections the muscle tension and baldness.

“In many [pattern baldness patients], we encountered various types of ‘fixed smiles,’ and in a few, a rather striking, characteristic expression best described as a ‘toothy smile.’ Such rigid facial patterns are thought to reflect, psychologically speaking, defensive attitudes."

Doesnt sound like he's backtracking on his deconstruction of SET at all. But let's assume this has some teeth. Does this mean that face yoga or similiar facial excercises might help?

johnwester130

“In many [pattern baldness patients], we encountered various types of ‘fixed smiles,’ and in a few, a rather striking, characteristic expression best described as a ‘toothy smile.’ Such rigid facial patterns are thought to reflect, psychologically speaking, defensive attitudes."

Doesnt sound like he's backtracking on his deconstruction of SET at all. But let's assume this has some teeth. Does this mean that face yoga or similiar facial excercises might help?

read the whole thread and decide.

it's a convincing argument with a study and anecdotal evidence

thms

I don't know. Try raw milk or goat milk. Store bought milk makes my hairlined inflamed and it always moves back perceptibly when I start drinking milk. It could be completely different for you though.
i have exactly the same thing...

does it move back when you stop drinking it???

D

Deleted member 5487

i have exactly the same thing...

does it move back when you stop drinking it???

Probably just trytophan increasing sertonin and prolactin. Defiently wouldn't drink much milk if you have androgenic hairloss. If your danny roddy with meat diet induced diffuse thinning, then yes sugared milk will be great.

For the rest of us no, you need to fix your gut.

My hair is always worse with milk.

Elphanto has some of the better hairloss advice on the fourm, even gbolduevs moving and venoues CO2 has it's place by lowering carbs and increasing movement to exhale co2 and increase igfb3

Travis points at corisol which is on the upperend of the hairloss train, with DHT being at the bottom, but the cortisol comes from the gut.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals