Protest E Birth Control Hair Loss

DeepOcean

Hello guys, long time lurker on this forum. Been peating since end of 2015 despite being on the birth control pill since the end of 2011. Also 25mg daily spironolactone. Been dealing with hair loss/thinning since age of 19 (am 34 now). I am now quitting the pill and inevitably the spiro as well to give my body a break. As much as I know quitting the pill and spiro will be so good for my health in general, am terrified for what effect it may have on my hair which has been somewhat stable over the past few years. I get enough protein, bone broth, dairy, fruit, ice cream, caffeine, aspirin, etc etc have been pretty much carb/grain free since my late teenage years (foods made from flour less than 5% of diet they cause me digestive problems). I was wondering should I be taking something like progest e for a bit until my cycle comes back regular or would that effect my hair negatively as well? I have read some people shed when start taking protest e. Am also very interested in possible contraception using progest e but of course will still be using withdrawal method as well. Any feedback much appreciated.
I had been on birth control prior to 2011 (2006 - 2009) and took a break for two years at that time. I remember the first year off the pill I felt great in so many ways and had taken some chinese herbs to help stabilize hormones. But after a year or so of being off the pill My very greasy skin came back and acne and just the feeling of being very hot (and angry a lot with that when feeling hot) came back which made it very easy to want to go back on the pill. But after being on it for 7 or so years, I have no sex drive no motivation very poor tolerance to hard exercise (I only walk and do yoga) and colder and more tired every year that goes by. I believe it has affected my digestion negatively as well but bone broth definitely helps that and many other things.

alywest

Hello guys, long time lurker on this forum. Been peating since end of 2015 despite being on the birth control pill since the end of 2011. Also 25mg daily spironolactone. Been dealing with hair loss/thinning since age of 19 (am 34 now). I am now quitting the pill and inevitably the spiro as well to give my body a break. As much as I know quitting the pill and spiro will be so good for my health in general, am terrified for what effect it may have on my hair which has been somewhat stable over the past few years. I get enough protein, bone broth, dairy, fruit, ice cream, caffeine, aspirin, etc etc have been pretty much carb/grain free since my late teenage years (foods made from flour less than 5% of diet they cause me digestive problems). I was wondering should I be taking something like progest e for a bit until my cycle comes back regular or would that effect my hair negatively as well? I have read some people shed when start taking protest e. Am also very interested in possible contraception using progest e but of course will still be using withdrawal method as well. Any feedback much appreciated.
I had been on birth control prior to 2011 (2006 - 2009) and took a break for two years at that time. I remember the first year off the pill I felt great in so many ways and had taken some chinese herbs to help stabilize hormones. But after a year or so of being off the pill My very greasy skin came back and acne and just the feeling of being very hot (and angry a lot with that when feeling hot) came back which made it very easy to want to go back on the pill. But after being on it for 7 or so years, I have no sex drive no motivation very poor tolerance to hard exercise (I only walk and do yoga) and colder and more tired every year that goes by. I believe it has affected my digestion negatively as well but bone broth definitely helps that and many other things.
You might look into progesterone but also using estrogen topically (don't use ones with estrone, just estradiol and estriol) because they have found that topically applied estrogen doesn't have the same negative effects as orally administered. Also, the oral ones are highly synthetic and toxic, whereas I believe on amazon there are a few brands that use "natural" formulations, as well as ones that have some of the herbs that you were probable taking last time. Since you're 34 I don't see why you wouldn't need to possibly take at least some bio identical hormones for the rest of your life. Hopefully not too much if you do it correctly.

DeepOcean

You might look into progesterone but also using estrogen topically (don't use ones with estrone, just estradiol and estriol) because they have found that topically applied estrogen doesn't have the same negative effects as orally administered. Also, the oral ones are highly synthetic and toxic, whereas I believe on amazon there are a few brands that use "natural" formulations, as well as ones that have some of the herbs that you were probable taking last time. Since you're 34 I don't see why you wouldn't need to possibly take at least some bio identical hormones for the rest of your life. Hopefully not too much if you do it correctly.

Thanks for chiming in. Do you mean I could use topical estrogen as an effective contraceptive?

alywest

Thanks for chiming in. Do you mean I could use topical estrogen as an effective contraceptive?
No, moreso to get the positive effects you were getting from birth control without taking the synthetic hormones. There are some threads on this forum regarding use of progesterone for contraception. You can combine that with tracking your cycle using various apps that are available that tell you when you're ovulating based on when you get your period, or by taking your basal temperature every morning.