Hair Loss - Depression - High Prolactin

Kaiku

Hello everyone,

I am a 28 year old male suffering from hair loss and depression. Both seem to be interlinked as both started 8 years ago with the effects of especially depression being more severe in the past 3 months. I weight around 168 pounds, aprox. 15% fat, 5ft9" and i am going to the gym 2-4 times per week (since 19 years old) lifting weights only. I usually sleep 7-8 hours, weekends sometimes 9-10 hours, Monday's 5-6 hours.

I have been peating for around 6 months following mostly Danny Roddy's advise. I have noticed some benefits (but it could be a placebo) like increased energy and sometimes increased focus. Also my hands and feet used to be cold old the time and now significantly less so.

I have done the below blood tests 2 days ago and also added my average heart rate and temperature. I have never done another blood test before so not sure whether those improved since i started Peating.

Average Heart Rate: 78 (increased from 65 since Peating)
Average Temperature: 96.44 (Increased slightly since Peating)
Cholesterol: 233 mg/dL (HDL 51 mg/dL, LDL 162 mg/dL)
Triglycerides: 99 mg/dL
SGPT: 21 U/L
Carbon Dioxide: 26 mmol/L
Calcium: 10.2 mg/dL
Phosphorus: 3.6 mg/dL
TSH: 1.32
Parathyroid hormone: 24.4 pg/ml
Prolactin: 45 ng/mL
Testosterone: 6.42 ng/mL
Estradiol: 18.2 pg/mL
Total Iron: 169

My diet:

7:30AM:

500ml Freshly Squeezed OJ
3 Organic Free Range Eggs fried in coconut oil
300ml of Full fat Organic Cow's Milk
Taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D3 (holland and barret brand)
Taking vitamin K2 (m4 form) 100mcg

10:00AM:

400 Grams of Melon
200 Grams of Grapes
80 Grams of Organic Matured Cheddar

13:00PM:

200Grams of Cooked Grass Fed Beef ('lean'stewing cuts cooked in slow cooker)
300 Grams of Organic White Potato (cooked in slow cooker)
1 can of Coke 330ml

13:30PM:

Coffee with aprox. 24 grams of Gelatin (Great Lakes kosher) and 2 teaspoons of sugar

18:30

750ML Freashkly Squeezed OJ
300Grams of Cottage cheese with aprox. 40 grams of organic honey
1 raw organic Carrot

21:30

250 Grams of Haagen Dasz (usually vanilla)

I also eat Grass Fed Beef Liver or Lamb weekly (200Grams).
I also eat around 2 meals per week in restaurants (pizza usually)

*edit** i forgot to add that i add a lot of salt to everything i eat

I am considering adding the below supplements to help bring my Prolactin down:

Vitamin E 300mg (still looking for a good one i live in the UK looking for suggestions, i have read some threads in this forum but i cant find an ideal choice)
Zinc 50mg
Vitamin B6 100mg
L-dopa 240mg

Please help with the below. Any suggestions are welcome:

Any recommendations for brands that are available in the UK for the above supplements will be very helpful, also changes or additions to those.

Do you think its worth doing further tests like Copper, Zinc and Cortisol?

I want to drop my TSH to under 1. I dont have access to Thyroid and i am not sure whether continuing this diet will improve this? Or any other suggestions on how to improve this?

I am also looking for suggestions on how to go about my Prolactin. I am not sure whether my high prolactin is causing the depression and hair loss or whether my 'Psychological State' is causing the high Prolactin. I suspect that is could be my 'Psychological State as my liver seems fine and TSH and parathyroid hormone are not 'that' high. Should i seek the help of a Psychologist/Psychiatrist?

Any diet changes suggestions (note that i cant drink too much milk at once over 500ml or drink milk with cottage cheese or ice cream as i get mild side effects (Usually Gas).

Thank you for reading and excuse my poor 'Peating' knowledge. I have only been 'researching' for around 6 months and 99% of what i read i dont understand until i read about 50 times.

Jackrabbit

High prolactin means higher tissue estrogen. So even if serum levels are lower, you have most likely higher tissue levels. In my experience the raw carrot isn’t enough to lower it. You might want to focus on some steroid hormones like progesterone or pregnenolone/dhea. The doseage of pansterone is pretty good the way haidut has it, using four drops three times (or even twice).

Herbie

Bromocriptine might be worth looking into, It lowers prolactin and increases dopamine.

mujuro

A few things

- Do you get much sunlight? I realize that it’s an uphill battle in the UK but even daylight under cloud cover should help with prolactin. As much as you can get, and getting more calcium has proven effective for many people trying to bring their prolactin down or treat their hair loss.
- Sufficient CO2 is important for calcium metabolism and the prevention of soft tissue calcification. If you’ve adapted bad breathing habits, you’ll lose CO2.
- that’s not much MK4. Have you considered IdeaLabs products? The B complex and K2 are worth it. Lisuride and metergoline can definitely bring prolactin down, and they are much more tolerable than bromocriptine.
- Two hundred grams of liver per week is quite a lot, especially if you have low vitamin A tolerance. You can suppress thyroid by ingesting too much vitamin A.
- Egg whites are very high in tryptophan.
- I’d drop the pizzas, since the wheat wouldn’t be helping if it’s provoking serotonin in the gut.
- MANY of us couldn’t tolerate milk at first. A mistake I made, and something you’ve already clued in on, was drinking liquids too fast - besides water of course.

I believe Peat has said that vitamin E is okay to use consistently to control stress and estrogen symptoms.

I think regarding your headspace, it’s neither completely physiological nor psychological, but both will reinforce each other. It’s hard to find sure solutions that interrupt the cycle, and it’s a different process for everyone.

OP
K

Kaiku

High prolactin means higher tissue estrogen. So even if serum levels are lower, you have most likely higher tissue levels. In my experience the raw carrot isn’t enough to lower it. You might want to focus on some steroid hormones like progesterone or pregnenolone/dhea. The doseage of pansterone is pretty good the way haidut has it, using four drops three times (or even twice).

Thank you for the recommendation Jackrabbit, i have started reading haidut's 58 page post on it. To be honest i am a bit too scared to mess with with any hormones but i understand without testing things i won't get any results. i know that this is probably a dumb question but is there a way to test my tissue estrogen levels?

OP
K

Kaiku

Bromocriptine might be worth looking into, It lowers prolactin and increases dopamine.

Thank you for the recommendation. i have started looking into it. I understand that i will need a prescription for this? I have showed the lab results to my doctor and he said that i am very healthy and not to worry about my Prolactin and to test it again in a few months it could be that i am stressed and its usually irrelevant to men?! My point being that i will struggle to get a prescription for this. I have added this to my 'things to try list' though.

Dhair

Thank you for the recommendation Jackrabbit, i have started reading haidut's 58 page post on it. To be honest i am a bit too scared to mess with with any hormones but i understand without testing things i won't get any results. i know that this is probably a dumb question but is there a way to test my tissue estrogen levels?
He's saying that prolactin is a good approximate test for tissue estrogen levels. Estrone sulfate is another, but I think the prolactin is really telling you everything you need to know.
I think you have a couple options here. You could either take an anti-prolactin drug like lisuride or bromo, or you could take thyroid and see if that fixes your body temp and prolactin. I wouldn't try both at once because it could get confusing. You might want to try to lower the prolactin with something like lisuride first because that could potentially fix your depression, stop the hair loss and warm you up. Your prolactin is high enough to be causing all of those problems.

OP
K

Kaiku

A few things

- Do you get much sunlight? I realize that it’s an uphill battle in the UK but even daylight under cloud cover should help with prolactin. As much as you can get, and getting more calcium has proven effective for many people trying to bring their prolactin down or treat their hair loss.
- Sufficient CO2 is important for calcium metabolism and the prevention of soft tissue calcification. If you’ve adapted bad breathing habits, you’ll lose CO2.
- that’s not much MK4. Have you considered IdeaLabs products? The B complex and K2 are worth it. Lisuride and metergoline can definitely bring prolactin down, and they are much more tolerable than bromocriptine.
- Two hundred grams of liver per week is quite a lot, especially if you have low vitamin A tolerance. You can suppress thyroid by ingesting too much vitamin A.
- Egg whites are very high in tryptophan.
- I’d drop the pizzas, since the wheat wouldn’t be helping if it’s provoking serotonin in the gut.
- MANY of us couldn’t tolerate milk at first. A mistake I made, and something you’ve already clued in on, was drinking liquids too fast - besides water of course.

I believe Peat has said that vitamin E is okay to use consistently to control stress and estrogen symptoms.

I think regarding your headspace, it’s neither completely physiological nor psychological, but both will reinforce each other. It’s hard to find sure solutions that interrupt the cycle, and it’s a different process for everyone.

Thank you for the reply mujuro its greatly appreciated.

1) I dont get enough sunlight. I actually moved to the UK 8 years ago and thats when everything started. I used to live in a hot climate my whole life and never experienced depression or hair loss before. I dont get much daylight either as i work in an office. Do you think increasing vitamin D3 dosage to maybe 10,000IU and getting some daylight on the weekends will compensate? In regards to calcium before i started Peating i had none in my diet. I was never eating cheese or drinking milk. With my serum levels being relatively high (10.2 mg/dL) do you think i should add more calcium? Maybe in the form of a carbonate supplement? I will try and increase milk consumption over time as well.
2) Based on my current CO2 (26mmol) do you think its something i need to improve?
3) Before this post i didn't even know IdeaLabs. I have started looking into those now and i think i have a lot of reading to do. Which one would you recommend Lisuride or metergoline? What should i increase my Mk4 to? In regards to the B complex vitamins i think i get plenty from my Diet eating beef every day but not sure?
4) Do you think i should reduce the beef liver i eat based on my current TSH (1.32)? What quantity should i reduce it to? I am under the impression that my thyroid improved since i started Peating
5) In regards to egg whites do you think i should drop them?
6) Thank you i will drop the pizzas.
7) I am looking into Tocovit from ideal labs for Vitamin E but looks pricy. Do you have any other recommendations for Vitamin E?

OP
K

Kaiku

He's saying that prolactin is a good approximate test for tissue estrogen levels. Estrone sulfate is another, but I think the prolactin is really telling you everything you need to know.
I think you have a couple options here. You could either take an anti-prolactin drug like lisuride or bromo, or you could take thyroid and see if that fixes your body temp and prolactin. I wouldn't try both at once because it could get confusing. You might want to try to lower the prolactin with something like lisuride first because that could potentially fix your depression, stop the hair loss and warm you up. Your prolactin is high enough to be causing all of those problems.

Thank you that makes a lot of sense and its hopeful. I will officially start lisuride and report back. Can you recommend a dosage and how long to take it for? Also how long after do you think i should re-test my prolactin? Lastly should i buy it from IdeaLabs or can i get it from somewhere else in the UK (if you know)?

Dhair

Thank you that makes a lot of sense and its hopeful. I will officially start lisuride and report back. Can you recommend a dosage and how long to take it for? Also how long after do you think i should re-test my prolactin? Lastly should i buy it from IdeaLabs or can i get it from somewhere else in the UK (if you know)?
I didn't have any problems with the Idealabs product. I think it's best to start with the lowest dose possible. Not sure about the UK situation.

Jackrabbit

I would be cautious with the lisuride, that stuff is no joke! Pregnenolone and dhea are both very safe if used in lower doses, such as the pansterone (idealabs also) recommendations. I don’t think you need to read through the entire 58 page thread, just focus on the studies in his first post. The lower doses are actually optimal for increasing all steroids except progesterone, higher doses increase progesterone more but that can result in sleepiness.

Dhair

I would be cautious with the lisuride, that stuff is no joke! Pregnenolone and dhea are both very safe if used in lower doses, such as the pansterone (idealabs also) recommendations. I don’t think you need to read through the entire 58 page thread, just focus on the studies in his first post. The lower doses are actually optimal for increasing all steroids except progesterone, higher doses increase progesterone more but that can result in sleepiness.
His prolactin is very high. What is so dangerous about lisuride? It's safer than bromocriptine and cabergoline.

Jackrabbit

His prolactin is very high. What is so dangerous about lisuride? It's safer than bromocriptine and cabergoline.
I didn’t say it’s dangerous, but if he hasn’t even attempted to use something natural like pregnenolone or dhea when he probably has high estrogen which implies to me that his steroid hormones are out of balance, then I would at least attempt to correct it that way before resorting to something like lisuride. Of course, you could use them together. The combo of serotonin inhibition plus steroid precursors could be very powerfully anti- estrogen.

Herbie

Thank you for the recommendation. i have started looking into it. I understand that i will need a prescription for this? I have showed the lab results to my doctor and he said that i am very healthy and not to worry about my Prolactin and to test it again in a few months it could be that i am stressed and its usually irrelevant to men?! My point being that i will struggle to get a prescription for this. I have added this to my 'things to try list' though.

Yeah this a problem with doctors, youve gone to him saying that you don’t feel healthy. He’s useful if you do some things to help and go back and get blood tests to gauge progress.

You would have to buy bromocriptine from an online pharmacy from Mexico or somewhere like that.

But I would continue to read more.

fradon

you may need some magnesium

your two important minerals are zinc and magnesium

what are you hemoglobin and hemocrit levels along with your copper levels

we can assume you have high copper whether it shows up on the test or not becuase high estrogen/prolactin is high copper

you need to eliminate the free copper from your system but you also need to eat copper rich foods to create bound copper. bound copper helps created DOPAMINE...and dopamine shuts down PROLACTIN.

i also read some where that hair loss was a sign of copper deficiency.

i used to supplement with liquid chlorophyll which is high in copper and i remember my libido and energy went through the roof. so copper can raise dopamine and it also raises T

OP
K

Kaiku

I didn’t say it’s dangerous, but if he hasn’t even attempted to use something natural like pregnenolone or dhea when he probably has high estrogen which implies to me that his steroid hormones are out of balance, then I would at least attempt to correct it that way before resorting to something like lisuride. Of course, you could use them together. The combo of serotonin inhibition plus steroid precursors could be very powerfully anti- estrogen.

Thank you both Jackrabbit and Dhair. I will try Pansterone for a couple of months and then depending on my results i will add/move to Lisuride

OP
K

Kaiku

you may need some magnesium

your two important minerals are zinc and magnesium

what are you hemoglobin and hemocrit levels along with your copper levels

we can assume you have high copper whether it shows up on the test or not becuase high estrogen/prolactin is high copper

you need to eliminate the free copper from your system but you also need to eat copper rich foods to create bound copper. bound copper helps created DOPAMINE...and dopamine shuts down PROLACTIN.

i also read some where that hair loss was a sign of copper deficiency.

i used to supplement with liquid chlorophyll which is high in copper and i remember my libido and energy went through the roof. so copper can raise dopamine and it also raises T

How do i eliminate the free copper from my system?
Do you think 200gr of beef liver per week is sufficient copper? I am not a big fun of oysters or other coppery seafood

brix

How do i eliminate the free copper from my system?
Do you think 200gr of beef liver per week is sufficient copper? I am not a big fun of oysters or other coppery seafood

Vitamin c, molybdenum, zinc, and iron chelate copper.