haidut

Forum Supporter
A very interesting study, which demonstrates that a relatively low (5,000 IU) oral daily dose of vitamin D3 for 6 months, may be able to treat gender-specific (driven by steroids) hair loss. Now, the study participants were all female, with female-pattern hair loss (FPHL), however the findings should be applicable to the other gender as well since it has been established that the causal factors (steroids) in either female-pattern or male-pattern hair loss are largely the same. Namely, medicine claims that high DHT levels are the main cause of hair loss in both genders. The study used minoxidil as the "standard of care" treatment for female-pattern, and administered it to one of the groups as a monotherapy, and also in combination with vitamin D3 in another group. Since minoxidil is also a "standard of care" therapy for male-pattern hair loss as well, it is reasonable to postulate that the study findings should be applicable to male-pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia) too. The best effects were seen in the group with minoxidil+vitamin D combo, however other studies with higher doses of vitamin D have demonstrated benefits for this condition even when vitamin D is used as monotherapy.

https://www.mdlinx.com/journal-summ...-combination-of-both-in-patients-with-female/
Error - Cookies Turned Off
"...Conclusion: Oral vitamin D combination to topical minoxidil is recommended to treat patients with FPHL; they had better results than with vitamin D or topical minoxidil alone."

scoobydoo

What are your thoughts on minoxidil? Also many are touting the benefits of topical dutasteride or finasteride as it doesn’t seem to lower serum DHT but still inhibits it locally. Many have seen great results from those.

ivy

A very interesting study, which demonstrates that a relatively low (5,000 IU) oral daily dose of vitamin D3 for 6 months, may be able to treat gender-specific (driven by steroids) hair loss. Now, the study participants were all female, with female-pattern hair loss (FPHL), however the findings should be applicable to the other gender as well since it has been established that the causal factors (steroids) in either female-pattern or male-pattern hair loss are largely the same. Namely, medicine claims that high DHT levels are the main cause of hair loss in both genders. The study used minoxidil as the "standard of care" treatment for female-pattern, and administered it to one of the groups as a monotherapy, and also in combination with vitamin D3 in another group. Since minoxidil is also a "standard of care" therapy for male-pattern hair loss as well, it is reasonable to postulate that the study findings should be applicable to male-pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia) too. The best effects were seen in the group with minoxidil+vitamin D combo, however other studies with higher doses of vitamin D have demonstrated benefits for this condition even when vitamin D is used as monotherapy.

https://www.mdlinx.com/journal-summ...-combination-of-both-in-patients-with-female/
"...Conclusion: Oral vitamin D combination to topical minoxidil is recommended to treat patients with FPHL; they had better results than with vitamin D or topical minoxidil alone."
Thanks for sharing this!

I'm not going back to Minoxidil ever again, but oral D3 I could perfectly try!

ivy

What was your experience with minoxidil?
No systemic absorption, if that's what you're wondering. But painful scalp and no incredible outcome. Blood circulation, which is mostly what it can do, is best achieved by other means. Scandinavian Biolabs have decent topical products.

Lejeboca

Namely, medicine claims that high DHT levels are the main cause of hair loss in both genders.

Therefore, this article studies females (FPHL) in order to "isolate" androgenic from non-androgenic causes of hair-loss. It is prompted by study in [6] claiming that

Background Female-pattern hair loss (FPHL) is the most common cause of diffuse hair loss in women. A possible role of non-androgen-dependent mechanisms was suggested. The association between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25-(OH)D] and other hair 0 diseases such as male androgenetic alopecia, telogen effluvium, and alopecia areata has been indicated. Objective The aim of this study was to evaluate the association of altered serum 25-(OH)D levels in women with FPHL. Patients and methods We studied serum 25-(OH)D concentrations among 60 FPHL patients aged from 20 to 35 years in comparison with 60 healthy female controls matched for age, skin phototype, socioeconomic status, and outdoor exposure. Measurements were conducted by the radioimmunoassay technique. Results The mean serum 25-(OH)D level was significantly lower in FPHL patients (14.2 ± 7.31 ng/ml) than in controls (45.90 ± 18.83 ng/ml; P = 0.0001). There was no significant difference between patients with family history and those without family history regarding the mean vitamin D level (15.23 ± 7.56 and 13.6 ± 7.17 ng/ml, respectively; P = 0.363). A significant difference was found between the three Ludwig's degrees regarding the mean vitamin D level (12.96 ± 7.52, 14.16 ± 5.68, and 25 ± 5.35 ng/ml, respectively): between degrees I and III and between degrees II and III. Limitations This is a case-control study that supports the hypothesis of an association between vitamin D and FPHL, but does not establish a causal relationship. Conclusion Alteration in the serum 25-(OH)D level, being deficient or insufficient, might play a possible role in the pathogenesis of FPHL.
Since minoxidil is also a "standard of care" therapy for male-pattern hair loss as well, it is reasonable to postulate that the study findings should be applicable to male-pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia) too.

Yeah, strangely enough, the authors do not provide any reasoning why they take minoxidil. Like "it goes without saying"..

The best effects were seen in the group with minoxidil+vitamin D combo

The D3 dose was 5000 IU/day for 6 months.

The authors claim that they didn't see significant correlation between D3-only and FPHL improvement because... they didn't consider severe cases. Strange, I'd think that combining with a "standard" drug would be for such severe cases, so why didn't they look at the most severe??

"In this study, no significant correlations were found between vi-tamin D, Ludwig grading, and other dermoscopic signs of FPHL before and after therapy. This may be explained by that all cases were of grade I and II, and no severe cases with grade III Ludwig's were present in this study."

golder

No systemic absorption, if that's what you're wondering. But painful scalp and no incredible outcome. Blood circulation, which is mostly what it can do, is best achieved by other means. Scandinavian Biolabs have decent topical products.
Interesting. Just looking at Scandinavian Biolabs, what products of theirs do you like and why?

ivy

Interesting. Just looking at Scandinavian Biolabs, what products of theirs do you like and why?
I've been using their shampoo and serum, their conditioner I find too thick and creamy for my oily hair. Overall, scalp feels much cleaner and hair is growing steadily. It won't prevent the progression of pattern baldness and its seasonal fluctuations, but it's the best maintenance tool I've found. I'd say it works quite well considering I've had a tough experience with Spironolactone and refuse any "anti-androgenic" oral drugs. Combined with D3, it might be more robust.

brocktoon

I've been using their shampoo and serum, their conditioner I find too thick and creamy for my oily hair. Overall, scalp feels much cleaner and hair is growing steadily. It won't prevent the progression of pattern baldness and its seasonal fluctuations, but it's the best maintenance tool I've found. I'd say it works quite well considering I've had a tough experience with Spironolactone and refuse any "anti-androgenic" oral drugs. Combined with D3, it might be more robust.
If their shampoo and serum "won't prevent the progression of pattern baldness and its seasonal fluctuations", then how would they substantively help with effectively treating (or even slowing) hair loss?

brocktoon

I thought that the reasons for male and female hair loss are distinctly different and I'm not sure that haidut has reasonably associated the outcome of this study with minoxidil/D3 with both male and female hair loss. But yes, he does sell his majority-male customer base a vitamin D product.

ivy

If their shampoo and serum "won't prevent the progression of pattern baldness and its seasonal fluctuations", then how would they substantively help with effectively treating (or even slowing) hair loss?

I'm not sure if you're trying to be witty or extract significant information. I'm certainly not interested in having a completely bald scalp. Using these products all year long, after my worse periods of shedding (July-December), I have a noticeable filling of the front and upper areas. So if half of the year I manage to have extra density and a healthier look, that suits me fine. I'm 40, my issues started at 16, I've tried numerous products before, and I've even had a hair transplant. These products are better than the ones I was sold at the clinic, and relatively inexpensive when compared to other treatments. Combined with D3, results may even get better.

brocktoon

I'm not sure if you're trying to be witty or extract significant information. I'm certainly not interested in having a completely bald scalp. Using these products all year long, after my worse periods of shedding (July-December), I have a noticeable filling of the front and upper areas. So if half of the year I manage to have extra density and a healthier look, that suits me fine. I'm 40, my issues started at 16, I've tried numerous products before, and I've even had a hair transplant. These products are better than the ones I was sold at the clinic, and relatively inexpensive when compared to other treatments. Combined with D3, results may even get better.
OK then, that makes sense. Thank you.

ivy

Is there any reason to believe that oral D3 would be better than 5 drops transdermal Carcirol for FPHL? I'm assuming oral is more convenient when running a study, but is it better than, say, navel absorption?

ivy

Is there any reason to believe that oral D3 would be better than 5 drops transdermal Carcirol for FPHL? I'm assuming oral is more convenient when running a study, but is it better than, say, navel absorption?

Bump!

ivy

Report if there are any improvements please
I'm taking 12000IU of D3 daily, started 10 days ago to help with Covid recovery. It's too early to tell... but I'm don't expect anything spectacular.