Fructose and satiability

dukez07

I have no studies to back this up. This is purely anecdotal.

When my carbohydrate source is fructose (OJ, sugar), it doesn't matter how much fat I eat in the day or how many calories I take in; I never feel relaxed or satisfied.

Through my experiements, I have eliminated milk and taken in up to 5 litres of OJ per day. That's about 2500 calories. Of course, I will be eating other things too (mostly cheese). What happens in the evenings? I am starving. Despite my belly being full. My sex drive/libido on the Peat diet, is not good at all. And this was one area which I was hoping was going to improve on the diet.

So what happens when I replace the OJ and sugar with starch?

I take in less calories, it's far less nutrient dense (not even in the same universe as OJ and fruit, although potatoes are ok), It makes my stomach full real quick (can lead to bloating if you overdo it), it satiates incredibly (like, I can go hours without any hunger pangs at all), it definitely warms you up (resistant starch does this to me as well - so I was thinking it might be something going on in the gut, with the way it is processed by the body) and finally, my libdo/sexual function (which is awful on the Peat diet) comes back to full force.

This isn't placebo, because I have been experienting on my own body with carb sources over the last 6 months.

The thing is, I have seen snippets of Peat quotes where he seems to bash insulin (well, not bash, but saying 'such and such' raises insulin, so avoid doing 'such and such). I know he says this because he believes fructose to be superior, but I'm just sharing my own experiences here and what works for me.

pboy

ive noticed that anything that interferes with sugar absorption or utilization has a similar effect, more irritating than it seems to give energy...which is unfortuneatly almost all fruits, many herbs and spices, and sweeteners. Its probably not the fructose but the imbalance of ratio or anti nutrient / enzyme inhibiting plant compounds. But either way, you might be better off with starch, it depends on whats available to you and your lifestyle really...some people can get fresh tree ripe fruit from local markets all the time, some people almost never can all year long. Most commercial juice is not that great, often more irritating than nourishing ive found...most likely to do with fruit quality and processing conditions, especially because a lot of the peel and seed oils and compounds get into the juice

quality cane sugar and maple syrup are the best sugar sources in terms of digestibility, nothing interfering...but you have to balance them with nutrients, and the question is...with what? So often times one can only use a certain amounts of sugar for energy before an imbalance is reached, it depends on what else you take in

SQu

I know the feeling well. I had a similar experience, broadened my diet to include what appealed whether peaty or not, immediately felt better, yet soon after felt I wanted to go back to guidelines and haven't felt it since. Possibly one unintentionally restricts, due to too few choices eg quality ripe fruit, and so gets undernourished. Or maybe one needs something specific that's not on the list. Personally I think when you feel that unsatisfied it's best to follow your appetite wherever it may lead.

Filip1993

Lactose, honey and sucrose are pretty much the only sugar sources I tolerate right now. I get some kind of stress response from all commercial juices, I'm gonna try freshly squeezed orange juice the next couple of days. I guess I need to add some kind of starch to get enough calories.

What about upping the fat in your diet?

I have been feeling hungry ALL THE TIME these last few days, despite constantly being in the kitchen grazing. Today was my first experiment with MORE FAT and I do feel more satisfied. Another thing that works for me is eating the bulk of my protein early in the day, instead of stringing it out over six mini meals like I was before...just a thought.

OP
D

dukez07

thebigpeatowski said:
What about upping the fat in your diet?

I have been feeling hungry ALL THE TIME these last few days, despite constantly being in the kitchen grazing. Today was my first experiment with MORE FAT and I do feel more satisfied. Another thing that works for me is eating the bulk of my protein early in the day, instead of stringing it out over six mini meals like I was before...just a thought.

As per my first post, it doesn't matter how much fat I eat. For example, this morning I ate a 200g block of cheese (giving a whopping 60g of fat in one serving) along with my quart of OJ (and that was finally enough, to ease the hunger). 100g wasn't enough. So I had to eat the whole block to feel satiated. Ridiculous! And it felt nowhere near as good as feeling satiated from a carb based only approach.

Also, fat, for me, is such a third world fuel. My stamina and energy goes right down on higher fat. I feel sluggish and lethargic on it. It makes me want to sit down and mong out. Carbs are where it's at. But carb sources are extremely poor, unfortunately. Getting hold of decent, organic and ripened fruit is near enough impossible. Virtually all store purchased OJ is garbage (although, I can tolerate one or two brands). Grains are out. Potatoes are full of shitty starch. Beans are just no. Sugar has zero nutrients. Honey is also nutrionally poor (and is very sickly when just eaten from the spoon - what else are you going to eat it with, on the Peat diet?)

I don't know where you live or how long you have been experimenting, but if good food is truly difficult to come by then perhaps it's time to reconsider...

It doesn't sound like a Peat type diet is working for you, why fight it?

Just eat food that makes you feel the best and less stressed.

OP
D

dukez07

thebigpeatowski said:
I don't know where you live or how long you have been experimenting, but if good food is truly difficult to come by then perhaps it's time to reconsider...

It doesn't sound like a Peat type diet is working for you, why fight it?

Just eat food that makes you feel the best and less stressed.

I agree about that. Eating to decrease stress is the goal for everybody.

I live in the UK. Perhaps I just have higher expectations? If a diet made me feel 6/10, there's no way I would kid myself that it was absolutely amazing.

I've been doing this for about 6 months now. I've seen little improvement from diet alone, but very recently have seen dramatic improvements with my sleep, energy, cognitive function and libdo from t3 (which, after quite a number of weeks, has all of a sudden started working - weird).

My diet has been very clean. I never deviate away from milk, sugar, cheese (the recommended Peat varities), OJ, Mexican coke, lamb/beef, liver (amazing stuff), carrot (done the exact way Danny does it) and I will eat eggs rarely. I have 3 cups of coffee each day, with plentiful full fat milk and sugar. I don't take gelatin, although, i wish I could get hold of it at a reasonable cost (not cost effective for me).

My recovery has been a slow process, and will continue to be a slow process, if the last 6 months is anything to go by. The benefits I get from thyroid at least show me that I am on the right track, and give me hope.

There have been some improvements from Peat's diet. Elimination of PUFA has drastically improved my sleep architecture. Thyroid has just improved it further.

I hear ya, my recovery has been slow too. I would not be functional without thyroid medication. I personally did a lot of PUFA damage and I totally agree that severe PUFA restriction has been the most important part of this diet.

At any rate, I am glad you are seeing some improvements. It's so important to follow your own intuition and instincts regarding the appropriate foods for you.

mt_dreams

Assuming your health is fine, and this is more of just a peat protocol diet issue, I see no harm in taking in white starches be it potato, white rice, taro, etc. Peat prefers sugar over starch for many reasons, but if you're doing better with eating starch everyday, just stick to that right now. I would say things like light therapy, bag breathing, improving thyroid, removing PUFAs, lowering estrogen, etc, are all more important than your starch issue.

Hopefully you've upped your salt intake, as it appears you are taking in a lot of liquid. Whenever I find that fruit & sugar have lost a bit of the edge in regards to how it makes me feel, I usually do a 2 or 3 day sugar fast, and that seems to reset things. I would assume it's not peat approved, but I've done this 2 or so times a year for the last 10 years with nice results.

The three things that will usually call me to raise my appetite of dense food are stress, higher liquid intake, and mineral/vitamin imbalances.

Regarding the hunger pangs, I get them any time I've gone 4/5 hours of not eating. I don't look at them as a problem, rather as a sign my body wants it's next dose of calories. I think Peat's food protocols are best done if taking in calories every couple of hours. If you go large parts of the day without eating, then substituting out fast calories aka sugar in favor of slower releasing fuel (starch), might help.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals