EGGS Day? Or Night?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Ayurveda takes a highly individualized approach to diet and health. The suitability of eggs in one's diet depends on various factors, including one's dosha, specific health conditions, and personal preferences. In general, here is what Ayurveda says about eating eggs according to your dosha.

• For people with a Vata constitution, eggs can be a good source of nutrition, as they are grounding and nourishing. They should be eaten in moderation and preferably cooked with warming spices like cumin, ginger, or black pepper to help balance the Vata dosha.
  • Those with a Pitta constitution may need to consume eggs in moderation, as they can be heating and may aggravate the Pitta dosha. It is recommended to cook eggs with cooling spices like coriander, fennel, or mint to help balance the Pitta.
  • For Kapha individuals, eggs may not be the best choice, as they can be heavy and contribute to Kapha imbalances. However, if consumed, they should be eaten in moderation and cooked with spices like black pepper, ginger, or turmeric to help balance Kapha dosha.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The study compared the absorption of protein from both cooked and raw eggs in 5 people and found that 90% of the protein in cooked eggs was absorbed, while only 50% of the protein in raw eggs was absorbed”

“While egg yolks provide a good dietary source of biotin, raw egg whites contain a protein called avidin. Avidin binds to biotin in the small intestine, preventing its absorption. Because heat destroys avidin, this is not an issue when the egg has been cooked”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Different cooking methods can slightly alter the nutritional values of eggs.

• Heat causes the egg’s composition to change. The longer and hotter you cook your eggs, the more nutrients you may lose.

• Scrambling eggs causes a decrease in B vitamins and selenium, but keeps more healthy fats, vitamin D, and vitamin K than if they’re boiled. Scrambling is usually lower heat than frying or boiling and for less time.

• Boiling eggs can decrease amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin, which are good for eye health. Soft boiling instead of hard boiling can help retain more of these nutrients since they're found in egg yolks.

• Frying eggs can cause the cholesterol in them to become oxidized and produce compounds known as oxysterols because of the high heat. People with heart conditions should probably use a different method for cooking eggs.

• However, cooking an egg does have its benefits. It increases the availability of protein for your body to 91% compared to only 51% availability in a raw egg.

• Cooking also increases digestibility and also removes the risk of salmonella poisoning, so it’s definitely necessary.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“This fat-free cooking method involves lowering a cracked egg into simmering water and allowing it to cook for 4 to 5 minutes. This results in cooked whites with a runny yolk.

Pros:

While studies suggest cooked egg-white protein is more easily digested because it is already denatured, some research has found a raw or runny yolk contains up to 50 percent more nutrients than a cooked yolk that's been hard-boiled.”

https://www.eatthis.com/best-way-to-cook-eggs/#:~:text=While%20studies%20suggest%20cooked%20egg,yolk%20that's%20been%20hard%2Dboiled.

Ismail

“Different cooking methods can slightly alter the nutritional values of eggs.

• Heat causes the egg’s composition to change. The longer and hotter you cook your eggs, the more nutrients you may lose.

• Scrambling eggs causes a decrease in B vitamins and selenium, but keeps more healthy fats, vitamin D, and vitamin K than if they’re boiled. Scrambling is usually lower heat than frying or boiling and for less time.

• Boiling eggs can decrease amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin, which are good for eye health. Soft boiling instead of hard boiling can help retain more of these nutrients since they're found in egg yolks.

• Frying eggs can cause the cholesterol in them to become oxidized and produce compounds known as oxysterols because of the high heat. People with heart conditions should probably use a different method for cooking eggs.

• However, cooking an egg does have its benefits. It increases the availability of protein for your body to 91% compared to only 51% availability in a raw egg.

• Cooking also increases digestibility and also removes the risk of salmonella poisoning, so it’s definitely necessary.”

I have 4-5 raw organic egg yolks every morning, taste amazing with sourdough bread. Always paranoid that heating the yolks will damage the nutritional content/benefits.

I remember when we spoke (last year I think) about reducing the egg white and hence it reducing the stress response - even if I drank a large amount of orange juice with eggs, it never mitigated the stress response. This doesn’t happen with yolks only, so assuming it was something to do with the high tryptophan content (and possibly methionine content too) in the egg whites perhaps 🤷‍♂️

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have 4-5 raw organic egg yolks every morning, taste amazing with sourdough bread. Always paranoid that heating the yolks will damage the nutritional content/benefits.

I remember when we spoke (last year I think) about reducing the egg white and hence it reducing the stress response - even if I drank a large amount of orange juice with eggs, it never mitigated the stress response. This doesn’t happen with yolks only, so assuming it was something to do with the high tryptophan content (and possibly methionine content too) in the egg whites perhaps 🤷‍♂️
@J.R.K. Posted the video below in another thread, which talks about avidin in raw egg whites binding to biotin and taking it out of the body, which I am wondering could have caused your stress response. Cooked whites does not have avidin…

“Nutritional Biotin Deficiency​

Biotin deficiency is usually characterized by alopecia and scaly erythematous dermatitis distributed around the body orifices, acidemia, aciduria, hearing and vision problems, and developmental delay in children. Biotin deficiency may also cause paresthesias, myalgias, and mild depression. Biotin deficiency may have adverse effects on the immune system and lipid metabolism. Frank biotin deficiency is rare. However, as discussed earlier, prolonged consumption of raw eggs may cause biotin deficiency because raw egg white contains an antimicrobial protein known as avidin that tightly binds biotin and prevents its absorption. In adults and adolescents who chronically consume raw egg white the following symptoms may develop due to egg white injury syndrome33:

Thinning hair, often with loss of hair color

Skin rash described as seborrheic and eczematous

Depression, lethargy, hallucination, and paresthesias of extremities“

View: https://m.youtube.com/shorts/BzzuQS8gl3k?si=Ep8MkNMxBCNr1h1_

Ismail

@J.R.K. Posted the video below in another thread, which talks about avidin in raw egg whites binding to biotin and taking it out of the body, which I am wondering could have caused your stress response. Cooked whites does not have avidin…

“Nutritional Biotin Deficiency​

Biotin deficiency is usually characterized by alopecia and scaly erythematous dermatitis distributed around the body orifices, acidemia, aciduria, hearing and vision problems, and developmental delay in children. Biotin deficiency may also cause paresthesias, myalgias, and mild depression. Biotin deficiency may have adverse effects on the immune system and lipid metabolism. Frank biotin deficiency is rare. However, as discussed earlier, prolonged consumption of raw eggs may cause biotin deficiency because raw egg white contains an antimicrobial protein known as avidin that tightly binds biotin and prevents its absorption. In adults and adolescents who chronically consume raw egg white the following symptoms may develop due to egg white injury syndrome33:

Thinning hair, often with loss of hair color

Skin rash described as seborrheic and eczematous

Depression, lethargy, hallucination, and paresthesias of extremities“

View: https://m.youtube.com/shorts/BzzuQS8gl3k?si=Ep8MkNMxBCNr1h1_

Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear.

I only have the egg yolk raw.

When I used to have whole eggs before, I would cook them, I would never eat the white part raw (due to the above info you posted).

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear.

I only have the egg yolk raw.

When I used to have whole eggs before, I would cook them, I would never eat the white part raw (due to the above info you posted).
Yes I understood the change you made. You are doing the same as I, and just eating the yolks. I thought though the video might be a possible other reason why you were reacting so badly when you were eating the whites too, but didn’t realize you were eating the whites cooked, since many people eat them raw. I I am not eating the whites for the same reason you are, to restrict tryptophan.

Ismail

Yes I understood the change you made. You are doing the same as I, and just eating the yolks. I thought though the video might be a possible other reason why you were reacting so badly when you were eating the whites too, but didn’t realize you were eating the whites cooked, since many people eat them raw. I I am not eating the whites for the same reason you are, to restrict tryptophan.

Thanks @Rinse & rePeat, always helpful 🙏

Shocking what a difference it makes to reduce one’s tryptophan intake - I used to get so stressed from eating eggs, as soon as I dropped the egg white, the stressed feeling went away.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Shocking what a difference it makes to reduce one’s tryptophan intake - I used to get so stressed from eating eggs, as soon as I dropped the egg white, the stressed feeling went away.
It is amazing how the smallest thing can make the biggest difference. I use to feel flu like symptoms eating just one egg, until I switched to soy and corn free ones and now I can eat three a day without any noticeable difference in how I feel. I had a raw yolk last night and I think I feel better with them lightly cooked. I will have to give one another try to be sure. As for the tryptophan restriction, I cut most of my meat out too and make bone broths instead and I notice my hair and skin looking better for it.

Ismail

It is amazing how the smallest thing can make the biggest difference.

I know right!

I use to feel flu like symptoms eating just one egg, until I switched to soy and corn free ones and now I can eat three a day without any noticeable difference in how I feel.

Wow! I always have organic eggs - though finding eggs which are not corn or soy fed is not always clear - though I’m pretty sure the organic eggs are natural and pasture raised.

I had a raw yolk last night and I think I feel better with them lightly cooked. I will have to give one another try to be sure.

I have, on the rare occasion, had a slightly funny stomach, but extremely rare - not sure if it’s down to the raw egg yolk. I’m just happy it’s not too difficult to get enough choline (plus the other B vitamins) via the yolk.

As for the tryptophan restriction, I cut most of my meat out too and make bone broths instead and I notice my hair and skin looking better for it.

Oh ok wow! That would be a little difficult for me to be honest, though I wouldn’t mind trying it. How else do you get your protein? Dairy?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I know right!

Wow! I always have organic eggs - though finding eggs which are not corn or soy fed is not always clear - though I’m pretty sure the organic eggs are natural and pasture raised.

I have, on the rare occasion, had a slightly funny stomach, but extremely rare - not sure if it’s down to the raw egg yolk. I’m just happy it’s not too difficult to get enough choline (plus the other B vitamins) via the yolk.

Oh ok wow! That would be a little difficult for me to be honest, though I wouldn’t mind trying it. How else do you get your protein? Dairy?
I get my protein from bone broths, eggs, milk and cheese, occasional shellfish and meats, and proteins in things like sprouted grains and boiled potatoes.

Ismail

Attachments

• IMG_8578.jpeg
    IMG_8578.jpeg
    781.6 KB · Views: 1
OP
Rinse & rePeat

Here is another for you Ismail…

“Although Clive McKay's studies of life extension through caloric restriction were done in the 1930s, only a few studies have been done to find out which nutrients' restriction contributes most to extending the life span. Restricting toxic heavy metals, without restricting calories, produces about the same life-extending effect as caloric restriction. Restricting only tryptophan, or only cysteine, produces a greater extension of the life span than achieved in most of the studies of caloric restriction. How great would be the life-span extension if both tryptophan and cysteine were restricted at the same time?“ -Ray Peat

Ismail

Here is another for you Ismail…

“Although Clive McKay's studies of life extension through caloric restriction were done in the 1930s, only a few studies have been done to find out which nutrients' restriction contributes most to extending the life span. Restricting toxic heavy metals, without restricting calories, produces about the same life-extending effect as caloric restriction. Restricting only tryptophan, or only cysteine, produces a greater extension of the life span than achieved in most of the studies of caloric restriction. How great would be the life-span extension if both tryptophan and cysteine were restricted at the same time?“ -Ray Peat
Wow!!!

I’ve never actively sought to reduce cysteine, though I have with tryptophan and that has definitely made a massive difference!

That’s amazing! Thank you @Rinse & rePeat you're amazing!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wow!!!

I’ve never actively sought to reduce cysteine, though I have with tryptophan and that has definitely made a massive difference!

That’s amazing! Thank you @Rinse & rePeat you're amazing!
I was excited to find that quote too Ismail. It puts to bed all doubt that I am on the right track too.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I was excited to find that quote too Ismail. It puts to bed all doubt that I am on the right track too.
We are not in the clear on the cysteine, as yolks are high in it too, as well as grains, but cutting them in half will make a good difference.

“Your body makes cysteine from methionine, an essential amino acid. Cysteine is also found in most high-protein foods, including:

• Ricotta
  • Cottage cheese
  • Yogurt
  • Pork
  • Sausage meat
  • Chicken
  • Turkey
  • Duck
  • Lunch meats
  • Wheat germ
  • Granola
  • Oat flakes”

“Compared with pasta, white rice, and whole-grain cornmeal, potatoes are the only staple food meeting the recommended lysine level. However, the sulfur-containing amino acids (methionine + cysteine) are lower in potatoes than in the other common staple foods.”

“Toxicity symptoms are not likely to occur with consumption of foods containing cysteine, or its precursor methionine, except in select individuals who are unable to metabolize the amino acid correctly. Since cysteine is a brain excitoxin, susceptible individuals can experience brain cell damage that can put them at risk for certain neurodegenerative diseases including multiple sclerosis, Alzheimers disease and amylotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrigs disease).“
“Foods that are concentrated sources of cysteine

Cysteine can be found in an array of foods including broccoli, Brussels sprouts, egg yolks, garlic, oats, onions, poultry, red bell peppers, wheat germ and yeast.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals