General joint aching, caffeine and alcohol in intolerance and fatigue at 19 years old

Luke768

Hi everyone, I recently started following Ray Peats dietary guidelines, although a year or two ago my sister got me to stop eating unsaturated fats. Im 19 and am looking for advice on a few unusual problems that I deal with.
Firstly, I've had a problem with my shoulder joints grinding since a young age and my muscles being generally tight, and I also have had chronic back aching and am wondering if there is anything specific I should add to my diet to fix it.
Secondly, I tore a muscle in my back playing tennis two years ago and I'm still in pain with it, so is there anything I can do or eat to improve its healing.
Thirdly, I can no longer drink alcohol without a hangover including severe muscle pain and brain fog. I drank heavily for 6 months between the age of 18-19, drinking 15-20 units of alcohol on a night 1-3 nights a week consecutively.
Fourth, I can't consume caffein anymore without feeling my joint and internal muscles tightening and grinding within 10 minutes of consumption. I also used to be a heavy caffeine consumer probably consuming 400mg most days for a year or two.
Finally, I have brain fog for most of the day and am generally known to be dopey.
In regards to my diet, I probably consume around 200g of sugar a day, and drink a liter of semi skimmed organic milk and not from concentrate orange juice most days.
I eat a lot of cheese, have added oysters to my diet every 2 weeks, supplement with taurine, aspirin and occasionally epsom salts. I eat maybe 5 beef steaks cooked in coconut oil a week and have then with milk with a tablespoon of jelatin and sugar. I have cut all grains/wheat/seeds/pufa from my diet. I also eat eggs, bacon and potato from time to time. I also add sugar to my orange juice sometimes. Any help would be appreciated :) thank you in advance !
Luke

tara

:welcome Luke
I'm not sure what will help you, but I (fiftyish female) had some slow healing injuries recover in a year of generours eating and sedentry. I wouldn't recommend extreme sedentry, but there's got to be enough rest and nourishment for recovery to occur.
Chronically tight muscles and tendons can be a result of energy deficit - low metabolism/thyroid function - hence the classic but less used now achilles reflex test for hypothyroidism.
Have you taken a few body temp ad pulse readings? This can give an idea about how general metabolism is going.

OP
L

Luke768

Hi Tara :) ,
I havent done any tests, in the past, I took it this morning 5 minutes after i woke up using a thermometer and it was around 97 Fahrenheit and 78 pulse. I'm not sure how accurate this is but I used a normal thermometer under arm and under tongue and got 5 degrees apart between the two readings.
Thanks for the help,
Luke

tara

Luke768 said:
post 108947 Hi Tara :) ,
I havent done any tests, in the past, I took it this morning 5 minutes after i woke up using a thermometer and it was around 97 Fahrenheit and 78 pulse. I'm not sure how accurate this is but I used a normal thermometer under arm and under tongue and got 5 degrees apart between the two readings.
Thanks for the help,
Luke

I'd record a few more reading, an look at the pattern and averages.
Preferably on waking before rising, half hour or so after breakfast, and sometime in the afternoon. But any time is better than none. The afternoon one may be most important, but seeing if temps rise or from waking till after breakfast can give some clues too.
I'm not sure what you mean by a normal thermometer - mercury? digital? I find my digital takes a while to come up to temperature, so I take repeat readings till it stabilises.
Was the 97 deg reading the higher or lower of the two?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
L

Luke768

The 97 was the middle of the two readings, and I repeated each area 3 times. Think I got like 96.6 and 97.4

answersfound

Luke768 said:
The 97 was the middle of the two readings, and I repeated each area 3 times. Think I got like 96.6 and 97.4

I think you should use thyroid glandular. Start with half a grain in the morning and half a grain at night. If you don't see improvement after 4 weeks, add another half grain at lunch.

tara

Luke768 said:
post 109059 The 97 was the middle of the two readings, and I repeated each area 3 times. Think I got like 96.6 and 97.4
Looking a bit low. Could indicate slightly low thyroid function. This is a good parameter to monitor from time to time as you change things.
Can you roughly approximate average calories? One way is to enter typical food into cronometer or similar. If you do that, you can also check on micronutrients to see if anything is obviously missing.
I'd check diet before considering thyroid supps.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
L

Luke768

I think my daily calories varies a lot, some days maybe around 1800 then other days maybe 4000+. My sister said I should try force feeding myself sugar and see what effect that has, I havent tried that yet...

Dan W

In addition to what Tara said, I have a theory that increasing CO2 (bag breathing) helps relax muscles and release so-called "trigger points" making them tight. So that might be worth a shot, along with red light for general muscle tightness, your joints, and your injury (some of the references here might give you treatment ideas).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals