Hungry without complex carbs

bbmccorm

i've been avoiding grains, legumes, and starches for a couple of weeks now (with the occasional white rice or corn tortilla meal here and there) and i feel hungry often. and I'm often hungry within a short period of time after i eat. i feel somewhat satiated as I'm eating but get hungry quickly after. i'd love to be able to not eat for several hours and not think about food and i can sometimes accomplish that when i add in more protein and fat. but i'm feeling better with less protein and fat so I'm wondering if there's a way around that or any insights into what might be happening.

typical day of eating:
-OJ or pineapple juice throughout the day
-goat milk/blueberries/honey/2 raw eggs (prob 10 oz.)
-goat cheese and jam
-salmon/goat cheese/carrots
-carrot salad
-soup of goatmilk/oysters/carrots and sometimes parm reg
-glass of goat milk and honey before bed

OP
bbmccorm

bbmccorm

my cronometer ratios are about = 200g carbs, 100g protein, 85 g fat

GreekDemiGod

Try some T4. I get very hungry on T3 only. On T4 it feels like my glycogen stores are replenished, I may be wrong though.

200g of carbs isn't much to be honest, but i think even with say 300g you'll be feeling similarly hungry(i've gone to 400g of fructose and still felt hungry 30mins to an hour after). I did strict "Peating"for the first 4-5 years, but eventually gave up as i lost a loooot of weight doing it. If you soak your grains properly, and stick to well cooked white potatoes as well then i don't feel they are an issue IME

aniciete

200g of carbs isn't much to be honest, but i think even with say 300g you'll be feeling similarly hungry(i've gone to 400g of fructose and still felt hungry 30mins to an hour after). I did strict "Peating"for the first 4-5 years, but eventually gave up as i lost a loooot of weight doing it. If you soak your grains properly, and stick to well cooked white potatoes as well then i don't feel they are an issue IME
How do you cook your potatoes? I think I’ve seen people say peeled and boiled is the best

How do you cook your potatoes? I think I’ve seen people say peeled and boiled is the best
Pretty much that yeah. Bit of grass fed butter as well before i toss them in other dishes to cook a bit longer after that

Sweet potatoes are good too if you don't have any gut issues, but i don't bother with em much as i get plenty of Vitamin A already, and sweet potatoes have very little calories for the amount consumed(so do white potatoes, but they provide minerals and trace minerals and some protein)

OP
bbmccorm

bbmccorm

makes sense. what are your preferred methods for soaking grains properly?

Peachy

i've been avoiding grains, legumes, and starches for a couple of weeks now (with the occasional white rice or corn tortilla meal here and there) and i feel hungry often. and I'm often hungry within a short period of time after i eat. i feel somewhat satiated as I'm eating but get hungry quickly after. i'd love to be able to not eat for several hours and not think about food and i can sometimes accomplish that when i add in more protein and fat. but i'm feeling better with less protein and fat so I'm wondering if there's a way around that or any insights into what might be happening.

typical day of eating:
-OJ or pineapple juice throughout the day
-goat milk/blueberries/honey/2 raw eggs (prob 10 oz.)
-goat cheese and jam
-salmon/goat cheese/carrots
-carrot salad
-soup of goatmilk/oysters/carrots and sometimes parm reg
-glass of goat milk and honey before bed
Hi! Diet looks delicious. Sorry if you already explained, but why did you decide to cut back on starch/complex carbs?

For starch, I wouldn’t shy away from having more days with white rice, corn tortillas. I’d also try peeled potatoes - boiled, roasted in tallow/butter, or mashed. Maybe a little butternut squash here and there. It’s really hard to be satiated without some starch.

More whole fruits that don’t irritate your gut could be good too.

Couple extra thoughts. Are you getting any liver in? How about collagen/gelatin in the form of broth of powder?

OP
bbmccorm

bbmccorm

Hi! Diet looks delicious. Sorry if you already explained, but why did you decide to cut back on starch/complex carbs?

For starch, I wouldn’t shy away from having more days with white rice, corn tortillas. I’d also try peeled potatoes - boiled, roasted in tallow/butter, or mashed. Maybe a little butternut squash here and there. It’s really hard to be satiated without some starch.

More whole fruits that don’t irritate your gut could be good too.

Couple extra thoughts. Are you getting any liver in? How about collagen/gelatin in the form of broth of powder?
i moved away from starches and grains because i wasn't feeling great (sluggish and gassy) and i don't much like the taste so i figured i wouldn't miss them.

but yes I'm finding it difficult to feel satiated without them, and i have binged on tortilla chips twice this week (which was not awesome for my tummy and actually gave me heartburn the following day which i never get).

ya more whole fruits would probably be good.

i haven't had much liver lately but it's on my grocery list next time i go.

and i have had bad reactions to collagen/gelatin powders in the past (lots of gas) so i don't do those anymore but I'll occasionally have broth. i just haven't been craving broth because I'm in Florida so it's too warm for me to want broth really.

I'm going to start incorporating some complex carbs again next week to see how i feel.

makes sense. what are your preferred methods for soaking grains properly?
Enough filtered water to just cover the grains, and a tablespoon of ACV for every cup of water you use and however many that turns out to be, then soak for at least 19-24hours

I do em in large batches, and progressively soak the batch further when i pull from it

Last edited:

GreekDemiGod

To be honest, fatty beef + eggs + milk + fruits + honey is pretty satiating if you want to do zero starch. They key is that you have to go relatively high in both protein and fats. This contributes to satiety So you'd end up with a balanced macro split 33:33:33, more or less.

OP
bbmccorm

bbmccorm

Enough filtered water to just cover the grains, and a tablespoon of ACV for every cup of water you use and however many that turns out to be, then soak for at least 19-24hours

I do em in large batches, and progressively soak the batch further when i pull from it
great thanks.

OP
bbmccorm

bbmccorm

To be honest, fatty beef + eggs + milk + fruits + honey is pretty satiating if you want to do zero starch. They key is that you have to go relatively high in both protein and fats. This contributes to satiety So you'd end up with a balanced macro split 33:33:33, more or less.
ya i've been taking a break from beef (just haven't felt a craving) and doing less fat and definitely feeling less satiated so that's a good reminder. thanks.

OP
bbmccorm

bbmccorm

Thats like 2000kcals. UP the calories!!!
ya i'm trying to find ways to increase calories without increasing animal protein, fat, or complex carbs (cause they all make me feel not as optimal) so thinking of incorporating more fruit and milk, and looking for other ideas....

DonLore

ya i'm trying to find ways to increase calories without increasing animal protein, fat, or complex carbs (cause they all make me feel not as optimal) so thinking of incorporating more fruit and milk, and looking for other ideas....
Why not just eat more of what you already eat?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals