Has Ray turned vegan? How is he doing?

frannybananny

Peat says he’s eating broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus, turnips, carrots, cauliflower, squash, mushrooms.. he’s mentioned kale as well in the past
In his latest interview he says he has stopped eating
all vegetables!

lvysaur

Before WW II the Okinawa Diet contained larg ammounts of pork, a special pork, most likely a low PUFA pork.
I find the claim of "large amounts" very hard to believe

Meat was scarce in the Old World in general. The only exception is after the Black Death killed off almost half of Europe's population, but even then there was a huge gulf in meat consumption between Europeans and Americans until sometime in the mid 20th century (it still persists but is not as comically huge)

OP
F

FrankMa

In his latest interview he says he has stopped eating
all vegetables!
I myself from time to time tried to eat vegetables because theres that little man in my mind who is telling me "eat your veggies"
but every time I tried I was not as alive as with fruit, milk, meat.
Which interview are you referring to?

OP
F

FrankMa

I find the claim of "large amounts" very hard to believe

Meat was scarce in the Old World in general. The only exception is after the Black Death killed off almost half of Europe's population, but even then there was a huge gulf in meat consumption between Europeans and Americans until sometime in the mid 20th century (it still persists but is not as comically huge)
I came up with this conclusion by reading a seem to be well researched article in which the Okinawian diet was debunked; but sure, the article could be wrong.

My family was living in a rural area from around 1680 up to today in Germany.
They weren`t rich but even at WWII and WWI they ate lots of animal products, like everyone else in this area like milk meat, etc.
They held their own goats and had their own farm lands.
So maybe Eurpeans are more used to eating meat, at least some Europeans.

lvysaur

So maybe Eurpeans are more used to eating meat, at least some Europeans.
For certain periods of history, yes.

I have no trouble believing it for Europe, because as I said, half of the European population died off around 1380, and the population still hasn't recovered from that.

I have lots of trouble believing that a 400 sqmi island was traditionally eating lots of meat at any point in history. The phenomenon of island dwarfism, which can still be observed in Okinawans, the Andamanese, and even the Japanese and Brits (who are shorter than other Asians/Euros respectively) goes against this.

Motorneuron

Would it make sense to replace all animal proteins with essential amino acids for a few days?

OP
F

FrankMa

Would it make sense to replace all animal proteins with essential amino acids for a few days?
I was thinking the same.
Would be pretty convenient to just eat fruit and drop essientiel amino acids pills 3 times a day.
There is an essentiel amino acid product which is inspired by the "perfect ratio" Haidut come up before some years; low tryptophane, low methionine.
Many claim good results.
But I would argue that with real food you get so much more, many co-factors and all that stuff

OP
F

FrankMa

For certain periods of history, yes.

I have no trouble believing it for Europe, because as I said, half of the European population died off around 1380, and the population still hasn't recovered from that.

I have lots of trouble believing that a 400 sqmi island was traditionally eating lots of meat at any point in history. The phenomenon of island dwarfism, which can still be observed in Okinawans, the Andamanese, and even the Japanese and Brits (who are shorter than other Asians/Euros respectively) goes against this.
You definetly got a point.
So dwarfism ist correlated with low protein intake?

Motorneuron

You definetly got a point.
So dwarfism ist correlated with low protein intake?
If we relate it purely to an IGF 1 factor it might make sense ... but there's a lot more out there (even things we don't know).

ursidae

they really are small people, particularly the scots. Idk where those average stats of 5'8 come from, but in my experience they're around 5'5 for the men and 5'0 for the women. I'd think the high dairy consumption would increase height though. Adamanese and Okinawans could still obtain the bulk of their calories from plants, but Scottish diet was much more animal based due to climate limitations- dairy, blood, organ meats, animal fat are present in a lot of the traditional foods

Last edited:
OP
F

FrankMa

they really are small people, particularly the scots. Idk where those average stats of 5'8 come from, but in my experience they're around 5'5 for the men and 5'0 for the women. I'd think the high dairy consumption would increase height though. Adamanese and Okinawans could still obtain the bulk of their calories from plants, but Scottish diet was much more animal based due to climate limitations- dairy, blood, organ meats, animal fat are present in a lot of the traditional foods

OP
F

FrankMa

I am German, have never been to the Britisch islands but to many Southern and Eastern European countries.
All the Northern people are tall ( Danish, Swedisch, Norwegian, Germans are tall, too, Dutch are very tall ). I have never thought that Scots are 5.5 / 5.0; that is really small.
I know that England, not the whole UK has been invaded by many tribes, saxons, angels, vikings who all are tall
but they always kept the Irish and Scotish out of their Empire; even the Romanians kept the Scots and Irish out of Britain until they left the island.
Maybe the Irish and Scotish have been poorer, could not afford sufficient calories; is that the reason for them being that small?
If I look up tables of average hight in men and woman over the whole wide world, the Scots don`t seem to be so small.
Have you been to Scotland for holiday?

ursidae

I am German, have never been to the Britisch islands but to many Southern and Eastern European countries.
All the Northern people are tall ( Danish, Swedisch, Norwegian, Germans are tall, too, Dutch are very tall ). I have never thought that Scots are 5.5 / 5.0; that is really small.
I know that England, not the whole UK has been invaded by many tribes, saxons, angels, vikings who all are tall
but they always kept the Irish and Scotish out of their Empire; even the Romanians kept the Scots and Irish out of Britain until they left the island.
Maybe the Irish and Scotish have been poorer, could not afford sufficient calories; is that the reason for them being that small?
If I look up tables of average hight in men and woman over the whole wide world, the Scots don`t seem to be so small.
Have you been to Scotland for holiday?
I've lived in northeast scotland. Perhaps that region is an outlier thats dragging down the scottish average. First time I arrived I was amazed that I'm taller than so many young men. I've noticed that even the second generation immigrants in that area grow to be quite short. It's worth mentioning that living there damaged my health as a non native. I don't know if it was the damp climate or the lack of sun but it's really hard for me to thrive in those conditions. Poverty and substance abuse is rampant

OP
F

FrankMa

I've lived in northeast scotland. Perhaps that region is an outlier thats dragging down the scottish average. First time I arrived I was amazed that I'm taller than so many young men. I've noticed that even the second generation immigrants in that area grow to be quite short. It's worth mentioning that living there damaged my health as a non native. I don't know if it was the damp climate or the lack of sun but it's really hard to thrive in those conditions. Poverty and substance abuse is rampant
So climate is important.
I am currently in Cyprus. It is very warm here.
You have to stay inside the whole day but nevertheless everything in my body feels a bit better;
could be that swimming daily in the sea adds to that....
In which way did your health decline in Scotland?
How long have you been living there?

Jerkboy

Peat is a boss. But the people who follow Peat, not so much.

Peat wants you to use your own eyes, body, mouth, etc. Perceive, think, act.

Not become Peat's clone.

Bluebell

Brits are average 5'9" for men, 5'3.5" for women, same as USA.

Country /
region
Average male heightAverage female heightStature
ratio
(male to
female)
Sample population /
age range
Share of
pop. over 18
covered[9][10][c]
MethodologyYearSource

United KingdomEngland175.3 cm (5 ft 9 in)161.9 cm (5 ft 3+1⁄2 in)1.0816+ (N= m:3,154 f:3,956)100.0%[199]Measured2012[5]
United KingdomScotland175 cm (5 ft 9 in)161.3 cm (5 ft 3+1⁄2 in)1.0816+ (N= m:2,512 f:3,180})100.0%[199]Measured2008[200]
United States175.3 cm (5 ft 9 in)161.3 cm (5 ft 3+1⁄2 in)1.09All Americans, 20+ (N= m:5,232 f:5,547)100.0%Measured2015–2018[201]

David PS

Some of this and other things were discussed in an earlier thread.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals