How To Balance An Egg?

Lin

Peat talks about balancing protein with sugar. Well, I wondered, what are you balancing? ounces? grams? Sugar is a carb, so I thought he meant carb grams to protein grams. (Anyone familiar with the Zone diet?)
Anyway, being kinda OCD, and thinking I had it figured out, I went in Cronometer and set the following goals: 80-100 gm protein. with a ratio of protein 25%, fat 25%, carbs 50%. That gives me a ratio of 2 sugar/1 protein. And this is with 1418 calories, which Cronometer thinks I need to maintain my current weight! Success!
But I just noticed, Peat says it takes 10 ounces of orange juice to balance an egg. Well, an egg has 6.3 gm protein, and 10 oz of OJ is 36 gm carb. So now I am totally confused! Is he talking about a blood glucose reaction? If so, how to allow for that? Is it only with eggs?

J

j.

Someone said that Peat once passed out after eating an egg while having low blood sugar.

He might be extremely sensitive and need more than others.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I personally think that is individual. Ray has written about his need to balance the protein in egg with that amount of O.J. but I think he was just trying to convey the importance of each person paying attention to his or her unique requirements. When I look at my cronometer I'm having closer to a 3:1 ratio of carbs/sugar to protein. My initial goal was 2:1 starting out because I had been very low carb. I think of the 2:1 as a minimum and a rough guideline as one is working on getting used to a new way of eating. That's just my personal experience. I know others have very valuable information on this topic. I just didn't want you to think everyone will require the exact same amount of O.J. or other sugar to balance the egg protein.

Mittir

Lin said:
But I just noticed, Peat says it takes 10 ounces of orange juice to balance an egg. Well, an egg has 6.3 gm protein, and 10 oz of OJ is 36 gm carb. So now I am totally confused! Is he talking about a blood glucose reaction? If so, how to allow for that? Is it only with eggs?

He mentioned that 10 oz OJ per one egg in " Dietary guideline Page" about his personal diet.
Here is the full quote
Ray Peat said:
eggs where the chickens are fed corn and soy should be minimally
consumed (for him 2 per week if that), and with one egg you need about
10 ounces of OJ to balance it (because egg protein is a powerful insulin activator).
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20#p29
In DR page RP mentioned that it takes 1 pint of OJ for him to balance an egg
in terms of blood sugar fall. He did not say it takes 1 pint for everyone.
He almost fainted when he only had eggs for breakfast. He did not mentioned how many
eggs. He is only warning about egg's ability to reduce blood sugar, especially for people with hypoglycemia
problems. This is true for all type of proteins, he specifically mentioned egg, liver and chocolate without
sufficient carbohydrate causing low sugar problem. There is no fixed ratio of sugar and protein.
It depends on individual health.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Mittir said:
Lin said:

I am curious where did you find this RP quote on "10 oz of OJ to balance an egg"?
In DR page RP mentioned that it takes 1 pint of OJ for him to balance an egg
in terms of blood sugar fall. He did not say it takes 1 pint for everyone.
He almost fainted when he only had eggs for breakfast. He did not mentioned how many
eggs. He is only warning about egg's ability to reduce blood sugar, especially for people with hypoglycemia
problems. This is true for all type of proteins, he specifically mentioned egg, liver and chocolate without
sufficient carbohydrate causing low sugar problem. There is no fixed ratio of sugar and protein.
It depends on individual health.
A lot of us are newer to this way of eating and are trying to muddle through years of garbage we thought was true but turned out to be false. After such a paradigm shift I think you just start to question everything, I did/have anyway. So we just do our best to make sense of it all and do what we can to rebuild and maintain our health. There's much misinformation floating about so it's helpful to dialogue on matters through the forum imo. Even people who fashion themselves as having studied Peat will often promote the carb to protein ratios.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I thought it was 1 cup to 1 egg that Peat said he did? But now its a pint? Well anyways, just like Blossom said, its each individual and we need to find out what works for us. :) There are general guidelines but from there you need to build your own "plan" which can change daily, even.

Mittir

@Charlie
I think that post on RP's personal diet is bit confusing.
It is not always clear which one is RP's statement and which one is
poster's comment.
I think egg in breakfast is a major factor than just egg alone.
After 10-12 hours of fasting most people are all out of glycogen storage.
So, it will hit the body real hard. I think eating egg in other meals
will be much easier on blood sugar.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Good point about eating egg early in the morning.

cyclops

PencilEgg-uid14899793170664-640x360.jpg

TheSir

Eggs appear to be merciless in terms of lowering blood sugar, much more so than other forms of protein. Just yesterday I had two eggs for breakfast and a bit of honey and fruit with it, an amount which I thought would be sufficient for countering the dip in blood sugar. Yet in the next hour I became spaced out and anxious. It seems better to combine protein with sucrose/starch than fructose due to fructose being so weak at raising blood sugar. Fruit just doesn't cut it unless eaten in absurd amounts.

Peat talks about balancing protein with sugar. Well, I wondered, what are you balancing? ounces? grams? Sugar is a carb, so I thought he meant carb grams to protein grams. (Anyone familiar with the Zone diet?)
Anyway, being kinda OCD, and thinking I had it figured out, I went in Cronometer and set the following goals: 80-100 gm protein. with a ratio of protein 25%, fat 25%, carbs 50%. That gives me a ratio of 2 sugar/1 protein. And this is with 1418 calories, which Cronometer thinks I need to maintain my current weight! Success!
I eat a big spoonful of raw honeycomb after my hard boiled egg, which I also put a couple drops of coconut mct, real wasabi and a pinch of salt. It feels real nice!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals