Tito's Vodka Eliminates My Night Sweats. Why!

Zpol

I used to drink more often, but since the beginning of this year I've started a serious crusade to heal my body so obviously tried to quit drinking alcohol. Problem is, starting around the end of January, I've been getting severe night sweats. I've tried drinking salty orange juice before bed, didn't work, I've tried various snacks before bed with differing amounts of carb/fat/protein, no combination has worked. Also tried magnesium supp's+calcium+potassium, Vit. D+K2, Vit. E, and Progest-e, none of these work. Also, I've tried doing pranayama before bed. The night sweats are getting more frequent.Only drinking vodka seems do the trick to eliminate the night sweats.

I thought maybe it's withdrawal but I'm not a big drinker to begin with so I doubt that, plus I would think withdrawal would only last a few days or a week.

This is so crazy to me. I cannot figure why this would be the case.

I don't want to be dependent on vodka for obvious reasons. Perhaps I will switch the vodka with red wine since red wine is a slight aromatase inhibitor.

dookie

I used to drink more often, but since the beginning of this year I've started a serious crusade to heal my body so obviously tried to quit drinking alcohol. Problem is, starting around the end of January, I've been getting severe night sweats. I've tried drinking salty orange juice before bed, didn't work, I've tried various snacks before bed with differing amounts of carb/fat/protein, no combination has worked. Also tried magnesium supp's+calcium+potassium, Vit. D+K2, Vit. E, and Progest-e, none of these work. Also, I've tried doing pranayama before bed. The night sweats are getting more frequent.Only drinking vodka seems do the trick to eliminate the night sweats.

I thought maybe it's withdrawal but I'm not a big drinker to begin with so I doubt that, plus I would think withdrawal would only last a few days or a week.

This is so crazy to me. I cannot figure why this would be the case.

I don't want to be dependent on vodka for obvious reasons. Perhaps I will switch the vodka with red wine since red wine is a slight aromatase inhibitor.

Alcohol is anti-inflammatory. In small amounts it probably lowers some stress processes. Red wine is much more estrogenic than vodka.

It's lowering your metabolism or calming the adrenaline...

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Alcohol is anti-inflammatory. In small amounts it probably lowers some stress processes. Red wine is much more estrogenic than vodka.

I read that it was an aromatase inhibitor? Maybe it's the sulfites that are estrogenic?

dookie

I read that it was an aromatase inhibitor? Maybe it's the sulfites that are estrogenic?

I have experimented with both vodka and wine and can say that wine feels almost as bad as beer for me, estrogen wise. Many things are aromatase inhibitors in theory (in the lab, when added to cells), yet produce more or less no real change in vivo. @haidut also mentioned how estrogen can be produced independently of aromatase, and Peat also talks about how estrogen can remain "bound" inside the cell.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

I have experimented with both vodka and wine and can say that wine feels almost as bad as beer for me, estrogen wise. Many things are aromatase inhibitors in theory (in the lab, when added to cells), yet produce more or less no real change in vivo. @haidut also mentioned how estrogen can be produced independently of aromatase, and Peat also talks about how estrogen can remain "bound" inside the cell.
Interesting. Thanks!

EIRE24

Alcohol is anti inflammatory? I've always heard and been told differently but I'm happy that this is the case

JohnA

Moderate alcohol consumption is a vasodilator (i.e. your body sends more blood to your periphery in attempt to flush the toxins out your system). All else being equal, more peripheral blood circulation will cool your body down more quickly - hence less night sweat.

How do you feel on mornings after the vodka?

If you feel good in the morning (e.g. warm and energetic), the night sweats are probably a result of you trying to go to sleep too warm and the alcohol is helping you reach a better sleeping temperature. You should try to mimic this effect without the alcohol. The following approach has worked for me: 1) Increase peripheral circulation with things such as drinking warm milk and taking a warm shower. 2) Minimize clothing as you finish your pre-bed routine so that the increased circulation from Step 1 can lead to some heat loss before you bundle back up for bed.

If you feel poor in the morning (e.g. cold and drowsy), the night sweats are probably a result of your body having a low temperature set point and you sweating at lower temperatures than you should be. The alcohol is driving your temperature even lower - which stops your sweating, but results in you sleeping at too low of a temperature, hence waking up drowsy and cold.

The latter is much harder to fix, so hopefully it's the former!

lvysaur

vodka > other spirits > white wine > red wine and beer

watered down 190 proof ethanol >
vodka > other spirits > white wine > red wine and beer

3555255535.PNG

DrJ

Or you got SIBO and the alcohol is killing that off for a bit

OP
Zpol

Zpol

If you feel good in the morning (e.g. warm and energetic), the night sweats are probably a result of you trying to go to sleep too warm and the alcohol is helping you reach a better sleeping temperature. You should try to mimic this effect without the alcohol. The following approach has worked for me: 1) Increase peripheral circulation with things such as drinking warm milk and taking a warm shower. 2) Minimize clothing as you finish your pre-bed routine so that the increased circulation from Step 1 can lead to some heat loss before you bundle back up for bed.

Yes, I do feel great the next morning. I attributed it to actually having slept during the night! But this seems like a much more reasonable approach. Thanks!

Perhaps an increase in GABA restraining some stress process.

I will look into this too, especially how it relates to dopamine which I am either low in or it's just not in proper balance with serotonin. This speculation of course as I do not have access to a SPECT imaging device. I'm going try some Taurine supplementation with meals and see if that helps. Thanks!

Or you got SIBO and the alcohol is killing that off for a bit

Have to admit, this crossed my mind too! I do have this affliction.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Alcohol is not an aromatase inhibitor, in fact it activates it quite potently and inhibits liver function so estrogen excretion is also hindered and you end up with estrogen overload. Just Google "estrogen alcoholism".
As far as why it makes you feel good, it can lower both cortisol and adrenaline in the short run and also promote GABA signalling, which calms people down. However, if you are used to treating yourself with vodka, stopping it suddenly can bring about "withdrawal" symptoms. The night sweats and waking up are a classic sign of that. The direct mechanism is probably still the adrenalin/cortisol/serotonin but if those were high and alcohol was helping, stopping the alcohol can cause a rebound of these. Usually, an anti-serotonin chemical can bring these symptoms under control and pregnenolone reduces both the cravings for alcohol and the side effects of it. I posted a few studies on alcohol cravings being driven by CRH/cortisol/stress and pregnenolone lowers these very potently.

EIRE24

Alcohol is not an aromatase inhibitor, in fact it activates it quite potently and inhibits liver function so estrogen excretion is also hindered and you end up with estrogen overload. Just Google "estrogen alcoholism".
As far as why it makes you feel good, it can lower both cortisol and adrenaline in the short run and also promote GABA signalling, which calms people down. However, if you are used to treating yourself with vodka, stopping it suddenly can bring about "withdrawal" symptoms. The night sweats and waking up are a classic sign of that. The direct mechanism is probably still the adrenalin/cortisol/serotonin but if those were high and alcohol was helping, stopping the alcohol can cause a rebound of these. Usually, an anti-serotonin chemical can bring these symptoms under control and pregnenolone reduces both the cravings for alcohol and the side effects of it. I posted a few studies on alcohol cravings being driven by CRH/cortisol/stress and pregnenolone lowers these very potently.
So what would be your recommendations for giving up alcohol? A diet with enough calories and a simple serotonin antagonist?

EIRE24

Yes, I do feel great the next morning. I attributed it to actually having slept during the night! But this seems like a much more reasonable approach. Thanks!

I will look into this too, especially how it relates to dopamine which I am either low in or it's just not in proper balance with serotonin. This speculation of course as I do not have access to a SPECT imaging device. I'm going try some Taurine supplementation with meals and see if that helps. Thanks!

Have to admit, this crossed my mind too! I do have this affliction.
What do you drink your vodka with? I drink vodka also and I see in the states most coke is made with hfcs, i'm not sure what sodas to order with my vodka as I am on holiday in the states.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Thank you @haidut ! I will try to titrate down slowly and I'll look into pregnenolone.

What do you drink your vodka with? I drink vodka also and I see in the states most coke is made with hfcs, i'm not sure what sodas to order with my vodka as I am on holiday in the states.

I drink it with carbonated water, usually La Croix.

sele

You can find glass bottle Mexican cokes in select Walmart or Target stores. Plus it's Passover so you may find yellow cap 2 liter cokes made with real sugar.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals