EGGS Day? Or Night?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hah weird I usually do starch right in the morning, and sugar and very well-cooked potatoes (if I don't have money for purely fruits) in the evening.
Also Calcium before bed as in Parmesan and eggshell powder sometimes.

Can you link where that's from?
Here is a quote from the RPF e-mail exchange….

“It's better to take your protein during the day, sugar and fat in the evening. The powdered protein lacks most of the nutrients, so you probably need some fruit, eggs, and liver, for the other nutrients, including potassium and magnesium.” -Ray Peat

Attachments

• D7289090-5D91-466C-92DD-AE54CE3986A2.png
    D7289090-5D91-466C-92DD-AE54CE3986A2.png
    172.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hah weird I usually do starch right in the morning, and sugar and very well-cooked potatoes (if I don't have money for purely fruits) in the evening.
Also Calcium before bed as in Parmesan and eggshell powder sometimes.

Can you link where that's from?
Rinse & rePeat:

“I recall five, or so, years ago reading that you recommend having protein in the day and starches and fats at night, am I remembering right?”

RAY PEAT:

“Yes, the function of the fat is to slow absorption of the carbohydrate.”

VitoScaletta

Here is a quote from the RPF e-mail exchange….

“It's better to take your protein during the day, sugar and fat in the evening. The powdered protein lacks most of the nutrients, so you probably need some fruit, eggs, and liver, for the other nutrients, including potassium and magnesium.” -Ray Peat
Rinse & rePeat:

“I recall five, or so, years ago reading that you recommend having protein in the day and starches and fats at night, am I remembering right?”

RAY PEAT:

“Yes, the function of the fat is to slow absorption of the carbohydrate.”
Thank you!
Sounds fattening, though

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you!
Sounds fattening, though
Well starch plus fat is fattening either way. The difference is that having your proteins in the day instead of evening is for sleep and energy proteins at night is awful for sleep and carbs do the opposite.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“While the demand for cage-free eggs is on the rise, conventional (read: caged) hens still supply the vast majority of eggs in the U.S., with 81.6% (or 275.4 million laying hens) housed in conventional cage environments as of March 2019.

That statistic may come as a surprise, as it’s rare that a producer will proudly proclaim that their eggs come from caged chickens. Terms like “farm fresh,” “natural” or “vegetarian” may be used to hide caged eggs in plain sight, as they have nothing to do with how the hens are raised. (You could pick up some “vegetarian” eggs from the supermarket without realizing you bought a carton of caged eggs.)“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse & rePeat:
“Good morning Dr. Peat, I hope the day finds you well! When do you think is the best time to consume eggs? Because of the sleepy tryptophan in the egg whites and their “powerful protein”. that you say needs a lot of sugar to balance, I would think they would be most beneficial at night . On the other hand you don’t recommend proteins at night, for better sleep, so maybe they are a better daytime food?”

RAY PEAT:
“Having only one egg per meal, with plenty of juice, there is seldom a problem. Blood sugar is more stable in the middle of the day.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse & rePeat:
“Good morning Dr. Peat, I hope the day finds you well! When do you think is the best time to consume eggs? Because of the sleepy tryptophan in the egg whites and their “powerful protein”. that you say needs a lot of sugar to balance, I would think they would be most beneficial at night . On the other hand you don’t recommend proteins at night, for better sleep, so maybe they are a better daytime food?”

RAY PEAT:
“Having only one egg per meal, with plenty of juice, there is seldom a problem. Blood sugar is more stable in the middle of the day.“

Rinse & rePeat:

“Do you think eating an egg near bedtime would help or hinder sleep?”

RAY PEAT:

“If I have one egg for supper with some carbohydrate it doesn’t bother my sleep.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Yes, having eggs before bed can help improve your sleep. Because eggs are an excellent source of tryptophan, melatonin, and vitamin D, they can enable some people to experience better sleep. If you struggle with falling asleep on a regular basis, consider having an egg or two a couple of hours before going to bed.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When rats were fed a diet completely lacking tryptophan for a short period, or a diet containing only one fourth of the “normal” amount for a more prolonged period, the results were surprising: They kept the ability to reproduce up to the age of 36 months (versus 17 months for the rats on the usual diet), and both their average longevity and their maximum longevity increased significantly. They looked and acted like younger rats. (A methionine-poor diet also has dramatic longevity-increasing effects.)” -Ray Peat

“Whey has been promoted as a protein supplement, but it contains a slightly higher proportion of tryptophan than milk does. Cheese (milk with the whey removed) contains less tryptophan. Some people have been encouraged to eat only the whites of eggs, “to avoid cholesterol,” but the egg albumin is rich in tryptophan.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Eggs from hens raised outdoors on pasture have from three to six times more vitamin D than eggs from hens raised in confinement. Pastured hens are exposed to direct sunlight, which their bodies convert to vitamin D and then pass on to their eggs. Eating just two of these eggs will give you from 63-126% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin D!”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I started having just the egg yolks, as a little multivitamin. I will have one with my morning coffee or one at night for sleep. Lately I have been eatin orange peels daily, but discovered they lower cholesterol levels, and Ray Peat says low cholesterol is not a good thing. So to fix my orange peel situation I am gonna up my egg yolk consumption today. I feel much better omitting the whites….

“Eating the egg white and yolk together in a whole egg provides the right balance of protein, fat, and calories. This combination allows most people to feel fuller and more satisfied after eating eggs in meals.

However, a 2019 reviewTrusted Source suggests that most of the nutrients in an egg are in the yolk. The distribution of the proteins, however, is even throughout the whole egg.

The review highlights several benefits that the nutrients and proteins in egg yolk may provide, including:

• A lower risk of gastrointestinal distress:This benefit may be due to egg yolk proteins, such as phosvitin, which may reduce the number of compounds in the body that cause inflammation.
  • A boosted immune system: Certain compounds called sulfated glycopeptides are present in the membrane of the egg yolk. These may stimulate the production of macrophages, which are cells in the immune system that protect the body against disease and infection.
  • Lower blood pressure: The review notes that egg yolk contains several compounds called peptides that research has shown to reduce blood pressuresignificantly in rats. High blood pressureis a risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
  • Reduced risk of vision problems: The American Heart Association state that yolks are a significant sourceTrusted Source of lutein and zeaxanthin. These carotenoids may protect against cataracts and macular degeneration, two common eye problems that often develop after the age of 55 years.
It is worth noting that many of the studies in this review did not test the effects of egg yolks in humans. Instead, they performed the tests in a laboratory or on animals. Therefore, the findings may not apply to humans.

Researchers have also started exploring the potential of various immunostimulants called immunoglobulins, which are present in egg yolks.”

“Orange peels contain hesperidin, a flavonoid that helps maintain blood pressure and cholesterol. The polymethoxylated flavones (PMFs) found in orange peels also help lower cholesterol more effectively than drugs.Dec 27, 2019”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The egg yolk contains high amount of vitamin A, D, E, K, B1, B2, B5, B6, B9, and B12, while egg white possesses high amounts of vitamins B2, B3, and B5 but also significant amounts of vitamins B1, B6, B8, B9, and B12 (Table 2). Eating two eggs per day covers 10% to 30% of the vitamin requirements for humans. It is noteworthy that the content of liposoluble vitamins (vitamins A, D, E, K) in egg yolk is highly dependent on the hen’s diet”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Eggs are full of B vitamins, protein, iron, and phosphorus. The yolk is an especially rich source of biotin (5Trusted Source).

A whole, cooked egg (50 grams) provides approximately 10 mcg of biotin, or approximately 33% of the DV (4Trusted Source).

You should always cook eggs fully, both to reduce your risk of Salmonella poisoning and improve biotin absorption. Egg whites contain a protein called avidin, which can interfere with biotin absorption if eaten raw (4Trusted Source, 6Trusted Source).”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Beware of the trypsin inhibitor in raw eggs (and soy beans), but not cooked eggs. The inhihitor is specifically found in the egg white. Here's an entry from wikipedia:

"A trypsin inhibitor is a type of serine protease inhibitor that reduces the biological activity of trypsin. Trypsin is an enzyme involved in the breakdown of many different proteins, including as part of digestion in humans and other animals. As a result, **protease inhibitors that interfere with its activity can have anantinutritional effect."

** = Ovomucin (in raw avian egg white) Inhibitory power = 1.2 times its weight (the ovomucoids are a mixture of several different glycoprotein protease inhibitors). According to one source, it can be destroyed by heating at 120 C for 15-20 minutes. But this seems like a long time (overdone eggs) and does not make any distinctions between boiling, frying, etc.

Another similar note from elsewhere:

Egg White - Trypsin Inhibitor, Ovomucoid
"Ovomucoids are the glycoprotein protease-inhibitors of avian egg white. There are several protease inhibitors in egg white. One acts upon ficin and papain; another, ovoinhibitor, is a significant contaminant of crude ovomucoid preparations and acts upon bovine trypsin and chymotrypsin as well as porcine elastase and fungal proteinase."

RE Avidin toxicity:

"...raw egg white contains avidin, which binds to biotin and can impair metabolism of other B-vitamins. Note however that raw egg toxicity should not be overstated: 20 raw eggs per day for several weeks would be necessary to create a biotin deficiency."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat Does poultry and red meat have trypsin inhibitors too?
Good question! I looked it up and so far here is what I found…

“There are four natural sources of trypsin inhibitors: bovine pancreas, ovomucoid, soybean, and lima bean. Each inhibitor acts as a competitive substrate analog and binds with its serine protease to form an inactive complex, therefore rendering the protease inactive.”

“Trypsin inhibitor is heat labile, therefore by exposing these foods to heat, the trypsin inhibitor is removed and the food subsequently becomes safe to eat.[12] Boiling soybeans for 14 minutes inactivates about 80% of the inhibitor, and for 30 minutes, about 90%. At higher temperatures, e.g. in pressure cookers, shorter cooking times are needed.[13] ELISA tests can be used to measure the degree of deactivation achieved.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In evaluating dietary fat, it is too often forgotten that the animals' diet (and other factors, including temperature) affect the degree of saturation of fats in its tissues, or its milk, or eggs. The fat of wild rabbits or summer-grazing horses, for example, can contain 40% linolenic acid, about the same as linseed oil. Hogs fed soybeans can have fat containing over 30% linoleic acid. [20] Considering that most of our food animals are fed large amounts of grains and soybeans, it isn't accurate to speak of their fats as "animal fats." And, considering the vegetable oil contained in our milk, eggs, and meat, it would seem logical to select other foods that are not rich in unsaturated oils.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Colors of the yolk is a seasonal thing. The premise that the egg yolk color is the indicator of a healthy, fine feathered chicken, is misleading. The basic truth is it depends on the time of year and the amount of grass available for the hens to prune through. Springtime, when grass is thriving, eggs are always generally going to be darker, ranging from a light orange to a darker amber. when it is hot in the summer, the grass gets dry and the birds deal with more stress in heat, so the yolks usually are a soft yellow. So do not worry if one yolk of ours is darker than the other from the same batch! They still taste as great and are fed the same ingredients.“

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals