Bodybuilding Diet With Ray Peat Principles

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Why this amount?
I try to keep the A : D ratio around 5 : 1, sometimes even 10:1.
I get negative reactions to D or A alone but together I tolerate them very well.
I think that supplementing A and D together in the right ratio reduces the risk of toxicity of both.

"The hypothesis further proposes that vitamin A protects against the toxicity of vitamin D by decreasing the expression of vitamin K-dependent proteins and thereby exerting a vitamin K-sparing effect."
Vitamin D toxicity redefined: vitamin K and the molecular mechanism.
Med Hypotheses. 2007;68(5):1026-34. Epub 2006 Dec 4.
Masterjohn Chris

MitchMitchell

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to Masterjohn or Peat when it comes to bodybuilding. Specific exercise programs require specific nutrition.

I’d stick to Efferding’s recos.

If you wake up in the middle of the night you need a real pre bed snack not just fruit. Full fat Dairy is the most popular choice.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to Masterjohn or Peat when it comes to bodybuilding. Specific exercise programs require specific nutrition.

I’d stick to Efferding’s recos.

If you wake up in the middle of the night you need a real pre bed snack not just fruit. Full fat Dairy is the most popular choice.

I feel very good with around 300mL of fruit juice, 10g of collagen, and 1/4 tsp of salt before bed. Never waking up in the middle of the night or so.

baccheion

If waking up in the middle of the night, you could look into biphasic sleep. Maybe it's a better approach anyway. Less ruining of the first (deep sleep) portion of sleep and a refeed (carbs and maybe protein) for the second cycle.

Salt and honey was said to come with a ruining of sleep (ie, spending most of time in REM). On the other hand, it lines up well with the second portion of a biphasic protocol. The combo would be replaced by whatever is more relevant. The second portion is said to be more glucose intensive anyway.

What body fat percent?

Hgreen56

why replace nutritious rich potatoes with empty kcal like rice.
and the same story with replacing nutritious eggs with empty kcal chicken...
your first diet was better.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I really like potatoes, but somehow they feel like promoting endotoxin too much at a high daily intake. I eat a pound of potatoes around every other day, but not in the quantities I‘ve used to eaten them.
White rice digest so much more quicker and I can ramp up my calories much more easily.

For anyone that is concerned about the blood sugar spikes, I do walk for 10min after my meals, which helps tremendously.

I replaced the eggs, because I felt off after eating a few eggs - heavy brain fog and fatigue, for quite some time then.
I always thought that they must be incorporated into my diet, so I kept them in despite the fact that they made me feel bad.
I do a phase of egg-free diet to see how I feel, and I must say that I feel enormously better now after a week of no eggs.

Btw my PUFA intake is around 5g at 3700 calories, so I am not concerned about some chicken breast with almost no fat on it.

Hgreen56

Because they’re poisonous
No there not, ONLY when someone has a nightshade allergy.
Some people say they have less joint pain and inflammation when they stop eating nightshades, but research hasn't shown this. Take tomatoes, for example. They have lycopene and vitamin C that help curb inflammation.
And when someone has a nightshade allergy, then still potatoes are not really a problem because most of it is located in the skin of the potato.so you can remove it very easily.
Also soline can be destroyed by frying it.

PaRa

No there not, ONLY when someone has a nightshade allergy.
Some people say they have less joint pain and inflammation when they stop eating nightshades, but research hasn't shown this. Take tomatoes, for example. They have lycopene and vitamin C that help curb inflammation.
And when someone has a nightshade allergy, then still potatoes are not really a problem because most of it is located in the skin of the potato.so you can remove it very easily.
Also soline can be destroyed by frying it.

But frying creates others toxins

David90

Efferdings Recommendation's are a good Place to start. I have looked into his ''Vertical Diet'' and saw similarities to Ray Peat's Recommendations. Efferding recommends also Regulary Orange Juice (or Orange) as well as Raw Carrots. Also he Drink's Around 3-4 Ounces of Cranberry Juice (not from Concentrate), for his Daily Iodine Intake. I Think (with some Exceptions) it is a good Diet, if someone wants to Build Muscle.

I feel very good with around 300mL of fruit juice, 10g of collagen, and 1/4 tsp of salt before bed. Never waking up in the middle of the night or so.
Back in 2017 i have also try'ed something like this. Back Then, it was 250-300ml of Orange Juice, with 20g of Honey, 2g of Salt and 20g of Gelatin. But i abaonded it, because i was peeing too much at night. Nowadays i go with Grass-Fed Milk instead of OJ.

Like he said, it is also to Bump Up the Calories. 100g of Rice can bump up your Calories easily by about 350kcal. Since Potatoes a Nightshade, not everyone does well with them. In the Past i was eating around 600-800g of Potatoes Post-Workout. But I hasn't gone well with my Stomach the Next Day. Nowadays i eat them mostly Pre-Workout but only to a lesser extent and Well Cooked with some Butter or Coconut Oil.

But i would also stay with the Eggs and dump the Chicken. Eggs are more Nutritious then Chicken. Since they have Lots of Vitamins and Minerals. 3-4 Eggs Daily can be enough. Also Egg Protein is slower Digested (3g per Hour?) in the Body, thus helping you be satiated for longer.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Yes I think Efferding has formulated a great dietary approach, that is highly effective for sensitive people with many GI problems, who also want to improve their performance in the gym or even other sports. He said that he also coaches 100lbs light ballet dancers with the same dietary philosophy, just fewer rice and beef.

I also include pure cranberry juice for some extra iodine. It has 400mcg per 4oz, which is gerat.

The 10min walks are also great for insulin sensitivity!

I think he has a more balanced approach to nutrition than Ray Peat, while still keeping most principles the same.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Quick update.

500g basmati rice (weighed un-cooked)
500g grass-fed ground beef (<5% fat)
8 whole large eggs (switched to pasture-raised local eggs and I finally feel like I can tolerate eggs, no chest pain, brain fog, joint pain...)
1300mL of clementine juice
1.5 L of mineral water (600mg Ca/L)
15g of beef liver (as frozen liver "pills")
100mL pure cranberry juice
+ some frozen fruit, which I heat up in the microwave (usually blueberries, pomegranate or mango)

Summing up at around 4k calories, 590g carbs, 206g protein, 80g fats.

Supplements:
8k IU vitamin D3, 16k IU vitamin A, 300mcg K2 MK-7, 1500mg niacinamide, 1500 TMG, 100mg aspirin, 2500mg taurine, 6mg boron, 20g of collagen powder.
I do some vitamin E topically, just open a capsule and mix it with coconut oil and put it on my forearms or legs.

Training:
Due to lockdown in germany, all gyms are closed here, but I train with a friend of mine in his little home gym, 2-3x a week. Basic barbell movements - benchpress, overheadpress, deadlifts, squats with some bodybuilding style isolation exercises to the end.

David90

Quick update.

8 whole large eggs (switched to pasture-raised local eggs and I finally feel like I can tolerate eggs, no chest pain, brain fog, joint pain...)
+ some frozen fruit, which I heat up in the microwave (usually blueberries, pomegranate or mango)

Supplements:
8k IU vitamin D3, 16k IU vitamin A, 300mcg K2 MK-7, 1500mg niacinamide, 1500 TMG, 100mg aspirin, 2500mg taurine, 6mg boron, 20g of collagen powder.
I do some vitamin E topically, just open a capsule and mix it with coconut oil and put it on my forearms or legs.

Training:
Due to lockdown in germany, all gyms are closed here, but I train with a friend of mine in his little home gym, 2-3x a week. Basic barbell movements - benchpress, overheadpress, deadlifts, squats with some bodybuilding style isolation exercises to the end.
Sounds good to me :handok:

I would only think about cutting the Rice and Grass-Fed Beef a little Bit. Since due to lockdown (and being less active overall, in terms of Steps per day) you can counteract the Buildup of Fat to a degree.

I'm personally at around Maintenance / Slight Deficit in Terms of Calories.

milkboi

Quick update.

Supplements:

Training:

Nice man, I'm gonna do a very similar diet soon for my next bulk once the gyms open up in Germany again (hopefully in about 2 months), super hyped for that. For now I'm cutting and already dreaming of all those carbs I'm going to consume. Will try to keep fat as low as possible to minimize fat gain.

086: Broderick Chavez – How & Why; low fat, high carb, massing

Protein sources:
- Lean milk and dairy (Skyr, skim milk), Casein powder before bed
- Lean ground beef
- Chicken
- Some eggs
- Lean pork steak
- 30g gelatine
- White lean fish, Tuna

Carb sources
- Potatoes
- Basmati Rice
- Some white sugar in home made jello, maybe some sweets if I struggle to hit my calorie target (haribo ftw)
- dates
- bananas
- Clementine juice :D
- Honey

Supps
600 mg Test base/w
Exemestane 25 mg EOD
Pregnenolone 200 mg/w
Potassium Chloride, Mag and Calcium Carbonate, Table salt for elektrolytes in my water
Thiamine HCL
Vitamin K2, Vitamin D

Last edited:

David90

Nice man, I'm gonna do a very similar diet soon for my next bulk once the gyms open up in Germany again (hopefully in about 2 months), super hyped for that. For now I'm cutting and already dreaming of all those carbs I'm going to consume. Will try to keep fat as low as possible to minimize fat gain.

Protein sources:
- Lean ground beef
- Chicken
- Some eggs
- Lean pork steak
- 30g gelatine
- White lean fish, Tuna

Carb sources
- Potatoes
- Basmati Rice
- Some white sugar in home made jello, maybe some sweets if I struggle to hit my calorie target (haribo ftw)
- dates
- bananas
- Honey

Supps
600 mg Test base/w
Exemestane 25 mg EOD
Pregnenolone 200 mg/w
Potassium Chloride, Mag and Calcium Carbonate, Table salt for elektrolytes in my water
Thiamine HCL
Vitamin K2, Vitamin D
Haribo surely FTW. I Can personally recommend the Sour Gummy Bears.

Can is ask, where you get your Clementine Juice from?!. I personally know that our ''Aldi'' has a Clementine Juice (''not from Concentrate'') that seems to be very good.

milkboi

Can is ask, where you get your Clementine Juice from?!. I personally know that our ''Aldi'' has a Clementine Juice (''not from Concentrate'') that seems to be very good.

Aldis Clementine Juice is good, I get mine from Rewe because thats where I mostly shop. It would not surprise me if they (rewe and Aldi) got it from the same source. In winter the quality of the juice is noticeably worsened, it has a much more bitter and sour taste. With that being said, it's still good in my opinion. :):

Will give the sour gummy bears a shot once my calorie goals allow for them.

David90

Aldis Clementine Juice is good, I get mine from Rewe because thats where I mostly shop. It would not surprise me if they (rewe and Aldi) got it from the same source. In winter the quality of the juice is noticeably worsened, it has a much more bitter and sour taste. With that being said, it's still good in my opinion. :):

Will give the sour gummy bears a shot once my calorie goals allow for them.
I noticed that too. At Least the one's from Aldi. Also sometimes, some of the Oranges are kind of sour, which should not be. One of the Best Oranges i've had in the Past was the Organic One from Aldi. They there surprisingly sweet. Just how it should be.....

Yeah give them a shot. You will not regret it....:):

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Protein sources:
- Lean ground beef
- Chicken
- Some eggs
- Lean pork steak
- 30g gelatine
- White lean fish, Tuna

Carb sources
- Potatoes
- Basmati Rice
- dates
- bananas
- Honey

Supps
600 mg Test base/w
Exemestane 25 mg EOD
Pregnenolone 200 mg/w
Thiamine HCL
Vitamin K2, Vitamin D

Awesome that you are from germany too! :D

Your diet looks very good. Also interesting to see that you're enhanced - I was always interested in trying it. Can I ask you how old you are? And have you experimented with niacinamide yet? I am doing an experiment with NAM at the moment.

Other details on my eating plan:
I eat 5 meals everyday.
In the morning I make 100g basmati rice and a scrambled egg with 4 large whole eggs, with some fruit on the side.
During the day I love eating monster mash - I cook 300g (uncooked weight) basmati rice, 500g lean ground beef and mix in some "bone broth equivalent" which consists of warm water, 10g salt, and 15-20g of collagen powder. Then just split it into three meals. Super tasty, easy to make, easy to prep. Then I have some OJ, fresh fruit (pomegranate, blueberries, mango or pears) or a glass-bottled coke with it.
For the end of the day I eat the same as breakfast.

I almost always have 1-2 espresso's after my meat meals.

I get mine from REWE. It's pretty affordable and the quality seems ok - I don't do well with many other OJ's or juices.