Eggs/Choline Causing Twitching in Calf & Jaw/Tooth Pain

mmartian

I've been having a battle with eggs and choline. I started realizing that eggs help me sleep, but ever since I ate 7 eggs in one day 2 years ago (and got a short bout of insomnia from that large amount), I started having constant small, painless twitching mostly in my leg calf muscles. I also notice upper tooth/jaw pain when I'm eating eggs consistently. If I stop eating eggs, the twitching and tooth/jaw pain seem to slowly go away. But I find I need the choline for sleep. I just recently quit coffee due to some anxiety it was giving me, but I noticed coffee also helps me sleep deeper at night (I think because it raises acetylcholine). I feel like my brain needs acetylcholine for better sleep/mood, but my body is having this twitching and tooth/jaw reaction to the acetylcholine precursors. I've read a lot of @redsun on this forum and his really enlightening information on acetylcholine and wondering if he has any suggestions?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I've been having a battle with eggs and choline. I started realizing that eggs help me sleep, but ever since I ate 7 eggs in one day 2 years ago (and got a short bout of insomnia from that large amount), I started having constant small, painless twitching mostly in my leg calf muscles. I also notice upper tooth/jaw pain when I'm eating eggs consistently. If I stop eating eggs, the twitching and tooth/jaw pain seem to slowly go away. But I find I need the choline for sleep. I just recently quit coffee due to some anxiety it was giving me, but I noticed coffee also helps me sleep deeper at night (I think because it raises acetylcholine). I feel like my brain needs acetylcholine for better sleep/mood, but my body is having this twitching and tooth/jaw reaction to the acetylcholine precursors. I've read a lot of @redsun on this forum and his really enlightening information on acetylcholine and wondering if he has any suggestions?
See if this makes sense... it did to me long ago. Taking thyroid helped me tolerate eggs more and balance things out.

It's by @Hans

redsun

The choline in eggs can increase muscle tone, and if when you are stressed you like to hold tension in your jaw this could lead to pain. 7 eggs may be too much and you just need to find the right amount that works for you. Perhaps 2-4 a day may be better. You have to experiment.

You could be having too much sodium and/or too little potassium in the diet which can contribute to twitching.

Lejeboca

@mmartian , I basically had the same if I overdid eggs, mostly at night. (For me overdoing means ~3 daily). I decreased the frequency and went down to 2 eggs.
I've detected that the problem for me is that the P:Ca ratio increases and Ca gets depleted. Try chasing the eggs with some milk/cheese or, if you do not want extra tryptophan for the night, ~1/2--1 tsp of powdered egg shells.

For a quick 'fix' (i.e. episodically only) try 1 pellet of Calcarea Phosphorica 30c when this tooth/jaw pain is experienced. If pain is alleviated then it's an indication of the P:Ca ratio problem for you as well, and you can correct it with diet.

Texon

@mmartian , I basically had the same if I overdid eggs, mostly at night. (For me overdoing means ~3 daily). I decreased the frequency and went down to 2 eggs.
I've detected that the problem for me is that the P:Ca ratio increases and Ca gets depleted. Try chasing the eggs with some milk/cheese or, if you do not want extra tryptophan for the night, ~1/2--1 tsp of powdered egg shells.

For a quick 'fix' (i.e. episodically only) try 1 pellet of Calcarea Phosphorica 30c when this tooth/jaw pain is experienced. If pain is alleviated then it's an indication of the P:Ca ratio problem for you as well, and you can correct it with diet.
@mmartian also iirc egg whites are pretty high in tryptophan as is dark chicken meat. Tryptophan can be extremely inflammatory and you may be unusually sensitive to tryptophan. Back in '89-'90 I had a confirmed case of eosinophilia myalgia syndrome from tryptophan supplementation for sleep. I had intense muscle and bone pain. About 1,500 cases were known nationwide and many died or were permanently paralyzed. I lost half my leg strength and at one point 3 months in my hair even changed color. It was a long recovery but everything eventually normalized. I treated myself with Chinese herbs instead of prednisone which was the standard of care. The theory was that a poorly filtered bacterial fermentation item used by Ajinmoto in their manufacturing process was the culprit. Thus plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit were awarded significant money as a result. However even to this day they have never been able to replicate the condition in lab experiments. I think Dr Peat even said one time the cause may have just been the tryptophan supp itself apart from any possible contaminant.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals