Easy Ways To Lose Weight On Ray

Aleeri

I read somewhere in the forum, I believe member tyw was saying that intermittent fasting does not necessarily raise cortisol. Anyway, I'm very interested in this subject because I want to get rid of the 20 pounds I gained Peating (no, prior to this I didn't do much low carb at all). Fed up with the belly. If I have to go the "damage control" route using lots of vitamin E, I will.

Yeah, this is exactly what I want as well, the belly is very hard to get rid off. You should be able to feel good as well as have a nice body.

Aleeri

Supplementing thyroid, bag breathing/hypoventilating (aka Buteyko) and moving to high altitude will all help you to lose weight in a healthy way by increasing mitochondria instead of in an unhealthy way by starving. Basically the real key to healthy weight loss seems to be CO2.

I did the thyroid. Both while restricting calories as well as when not restricting calories, it worked well for other things but not weight loss.

Should I bid farewell to my friends and family to get rid of the belly? I don't think moving to a high altitude is an even reasonable solution.

Bag breathing sure, but if the thyroid did not fix it, I doubt breathing in a bag will.

YourUniverse

Follow Broda Barnes' presciption for weight loss (brought to the spotlight by @kreeese) - large amounts of satiating, Peaty fat, moderate protein, and enough fruit and milk sugars to stave off ketosis

L

lollipop

Follow Broda Barnes' presciption for weight loss (brought to the spotlight by @kreeese) - large amounts of satiating, Peaty fat, moderate protein, and enough fruit and milk sugars to stave off ketosis
Very Interesting. Do you have a source to learn more besides the Kreeese thread?

Hans

Forum Supporter

Stramonium

Lowering the intake of starches even if they are safe like potatoes or processed corn. Low fat is not sustainable for me, without it I run cold

frant26

Supplementing thyroid, bag breathing/hypoventilating (aka Buteyko) and moving to high altitude will all help you to lose weight in a healthy way by increasing mitochondria instead of in an unhealthy way by starving. Basically the real key to healthy weight loss seems to be CO2.

This theory makes a lot of sense. But in practice it does not work, at least for me. I've been taking around 3 grains of thyroid for almost a year and I live at 2300 meters. I occasionally bag breathe but generally very concious of my breath. Result: I gained 2kg.

Aleeri

I've done it before, looks very similar to paleo to me + fruit. I've tried paleo, low carb, keto and although they make me lose weight, the stomach fat still persists and I also lose muscle and the ability to gain much muscle. It also lower libido and speeds up my hair loss.

I think sugar + fat at the same time is problematic.

Lowering the intake of starches even if they are safe like potatoes or processed corn. Low fat is not sustainable for me, without it I run cold

Had a period of close to zero starches, did not change anything. I think it is about calories in also then just macros.

Aleeri

Effect of noradrenaline and dopamine on progesterone and estradiol secretion of human granulosa cells. - PubMed - NCBI
"Noradrenaline significantly inhibited progesterone production"
"The results suggest that catecholaminergic actions switch over the steroid production of human granulosa cells cultured in serum-free medium from progesterone to estradiol."
Intermittent fasting increases noradrenaline so that seems like a bad idea.

I think if you do it one day per week it won't matter in the larger whole. There are many other things that increase noradrenaline too.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0104423013000213
Recent experimental studies have elucidated some of the metabolic mechanisms involved with IF. Animal models have shown positive changes in glucose (lower plasma glucose and insulin levels) and in lipid metabolism (reduced visceral fat tissue and increased plasma adiponectin level), and an increased resistance to stress. Despite the limited number of samples studied, positive results have been reported on the impact of IF for human health. IF is reported to improve the lipid profile; to decrease inflammatory responses, reflected by changes in serum adipokine levels; and to change the expression of genes related to inflammatory response and other factors. Studies on obese individuals have shown that patient compliance was greater for IF than other traditional nutritional approaches (calorie restriction), and IF was found to be associated with low oxidative stress. Recent reports suggest that IF exerts a positive impact on the metabolic derangements commonly associated with cardiovascular diseases, and that it may be a viable and accessible intervention for most individuals.

I am thinking maybe its hormetic.

Aleeri

Did anybody try what Haidut suggest in this video?

Basically minimal fat and high sugar intake for weight loss.

Runenight201

Instead of starting another thread I thought I'll post in this one.

No matter how you twist and turn it, weight loss to me seems like a stressful and non-Peaty process.

And honestly guys, for weight loss advice Peat does not seem to be a good guy for advice, he has a gut himself after all and what happens during weight loss goes against everything he teaches.

It seems like it is impossible to lose weight without increasing cortisol and free fatty acids (FFAs). This is basically what NEEDS to happen to liberate that fat.

The only way I've read of that seems possible to introduce calorie deficit for weight loss without reducing metabolism (as shown in studies) is by intermittent fasts such as skipping eating for 24 hours, once a week. It seems like it's not enough time to slow the metabolic rate, but of course, it will still increase cortisol and FFAs.

A long-term deficit is more stressful for metabolism than intermittent fasting would ever be, so why are you all against it here?

Sure you can lose weight by increasing metabolism so you burn more calories, but this DOES NOT mean you get away from the FACT that you need a caloric deficit to lose that weight. So we still end up in the same situation of increased cortisol and free fatty acids.

Thermodynamics is simple right, if you want to burn what is stored you have to either move more to create a deficit or eat less, or a combination of both.

Just because your eating Peat does not mean you get godlike power and do not operate under the law of thermodynamics.

Indeed the least stressful way to lose weight would be long-term, very small caloric deficit, but the thing is it's impossible to accurately track calories on that degree of accuracy needed and especially long term.

So why guys are we not talking about short-term intermittent fasting for weight loss? It sure seems to beat long-term calorie restriction, as in the case of let's try to only consume the minimum amount of orange juice/milk we can without going into excess calories, as per Peat recommendations.
This is periodic fasting.

Intermittent fasting would be eating within a time window and abstaining from eating at all other times. Usually done chronically.

I think most people here are against IF for that reason. It’s a consistent insult to the body.

Periodic fasting is much different and I think you will find a select group of people here who are proponents of it.

Weight is a false idol. Energy, sleep, mood, and hormones are key. Weight follows.

I have never felt good at a high weight. Gaining weight has always been a stressful endeavor for me.

Last edited:

Birdie

In case my story helps anybody:

I always remember that Ray said people can gain weight by eating to try to get in every nutrient, or something in similar words.

I gained `10 pounds back in 2011-12 (started reading RP advice 2011) and had just gained 10 the year before that when I upped rice/starch. Miserable time. I had tried IF and it seemed great at first. Then not great at all.

Finally, I followed Ray's advice and I lost weight very slowly. It took a year for each 10 pounds I think. I stopped making Ray's ice cream. I stopped buying HD ice cream. He said use 1% milk. I did. He said lower starches. I did.

I knew if I tried to be on a diet to lose fast it wouldn't work. I kept reminding myself that I was eating right and it would just take a long time to level out.

Cirion

You can not lose weight in the traditional sense without causing at least some distress to your system. I'm at the point myself where any calorie deficit causes distress and I will never do it again.

Nathan Hatch (author of F*** portion control) also learned this the hard way. The only way to achieve lasting weight loss is to first make yourself healthy, by fixing your thyroid and metabolism, and continue to eat pro-metabolic foods and live a pro-metabolic lifestyle afterwards, while still not counting calories. There's a reason he called his book the title he did. It's because portion control doesn't result in good health. It may result in weight loss, but it doesn't result in health.

Unfortunately, in todays' culture, we've confused good health with being lean, but in reality, one must become healthy before being lean can be a reality, at least in a permanent, non-stressful manner.

A previous poster said it well with this:

Weight is a false idol. Energy, sleep, mood, and hormones are key. Weight follows.

If you're even thinking of weight loss before energy, pulse, temp, mood, and hormones are PERFECT you're fighting a losing battle.

Also it may very well be true that you won't ever "get ripped" with this way of eating, but you can certainly maintain a healthy weight. Personally, I'd rather feel like a million bucks and have a few extra pounds than be ripped and feel like crap (I've already done the whole be ripped and feel like crap thing, not worth it).

BTW, Nate taught me this (he is coaching me). If you must fast, try a protein only fast (still eat carbs and fats). This is basically just as effective, and doesn't starve your body of nutrients in the process.

Last edited:

EtienneAmelie

I have never been ripped before peating.
Since peating (nothing hardcore, I eat 50% of my carbs from starches and drink full-fat milk), I'm naturally ripped.

Cirion

Awesome! Any specific tips you'd love to share in your journey that you felt led to that happening? Not just diet but also lifestyle changes?

I fully believe it IS possible to get ripped while eating in that fashion, but I think it requires living a holistically low-stress lifestyle in your environment, relationships, etc as well.

TeaRex14

Correcting metabolism is the best way to maintain a healthy weight. Reduce your PUFA consumption (preferably below 5 grams a day), supplement thyroid if needed, salt is your friend, eat plenty of carbs (mostly sugar if possible), and get a modest amount of protein. If you have an adrenal problems, which is common among hypothyroid subjects, then getting enough saturated fat in the diet is important too for hormone synthesis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals