Easy Ways To Lose Weight On Ray

grenade

@grenade Thanx a ton man. Cool that you keep track of everything since its so much easier to document and do experiences. I do it also.
How is your appetite/satiety ?

Appetite and satiety is better now, in my opinion. I can't go on as long without eating as before (not necessarily a bad thing, as I was able to go longer without food because I was running on stress hormones before). I kind of crave salty/greasy/savory foods, but I either just eat more sweet stuff, or have some salty boiled potatoes. In general, however, I never feel hungry or stressed out over food. It's nice.

beachbum

This is basically how it works; there are numerous ways to lose weight, but there is only 1 real way to lose it and keep it off long term, and the key words being long term.

Fat storage is all hormonal, it has very little to do with CICO (calories in calories out, but for the purpose of this post, I will now refer to this as CICO), as evidence of CICO working for only about 50% of the people in my observations. CICO is also not a long-term solution because people do not naturally want to restrict calories. Of the 50% of people who lose weight, 100% of them will gain it back at some point in time. There is a reason we have hunger signals and blood sugar triggers that mess with our mood when we require food. Not listening to these can be detrimental for many reasons (one of them being cortisol which is your fat storage hormone). People generally do not find solace with CICO because they cannot restrict calories until the day they die. There are so many external factors that will prevent this: hunger, blood sugar triggers, exercise, family (or family events), going out with friends, or any real external factors that will make you eat more than what you bargained for. It is safe to say if you are a CICO follower at this point in time, you will fail, and it will likely happen very soon (especially with the holidays upon us). The human body likes balance, so yo-yo'ing in weight with CICO is not what your body is after.

If you are looking at specific weight loss, look at the people who constantly gain and lose weight for their jobs: Bodybuilders. Their shredding before a competition begins somewhere between 6-8 weeks out I believe. The way they start shredding is cutting out carbs. They gradually start at the beginning and it ramps up closer to the competition. At this point they start to go low fat as well and stick to high protein. Now this does work very well in the short-term, but key words being short-term. Not only is this not sustainable, but very dangerous as well. There have been cases of competitors fainting/dying on stage. There is a reason they day or 2 after competitions, these people eat whatever they want and gain up to 20lbs in 1-2 days; it's because the body want's balance, and a high protein, low-carb/low-fat is not balance.

The reason most people gain weight on a Peat inspired diet is because the diet itself is not a Catabolic diet, it's an Anabolic diet. It's facilitating the constant release of insulin which is an Anabolic hormone. You are not going to lose weight easily with insulin constantly elevated, but there is a caveat to this, you can out-exercise what you're eating. You can out-exercise insulin's effects because exercise inhibits insulin, but the question is, do you really want to exercise all the time? Reading threads here it seems the common consensus is that exercise isn't the most desirable thing (or at least chronic exercise which I agree with). So if you're not going to chronically exercise, and resfuse to watch how much you're eating of Peat inspired foods (CICO), don't expect to lose weight.

This brings me to what does work long-term for most people and possibly why it doesn't work for those who think they are doing it. I know this is going to fly in the face of what is preached around here, but it's a high-fat, moderate-protein, low-carb diet, but the real key word in there is moderate-protein. That is where people screw it up, especially those going paleo expecting to lose weight. People think simply going on a low-carb diet is sufficient but it couldn't be further from the truth, to go low-carb you have to understand why you are going low-carb in the first place. People think carbs are the demon without understanding why, because if they understood why, they'd know that high protein is also problem. Too much glucose in the blood causes too much of an insulin response which is why people go low carb and lose weight. The problem is though, most people who do this (myself included in the past, and probably many of you), inadvertently go high protein in the process. High protein in itself, causes too much glucose to circulate which in turn causes a large & chronic insulin response. Once you eliminate those factors, what you're left with is a high fat diet.

Now keep in mind, a high fat diet does not have to be a high PUFA diet; the obvious things are eliminated like vegetable/seed oils and processed foods which is where you can find a lot of the PUFA. The foods that you do eat are naturally occurring fats found in red meat, fatty chicken and it's skin, eggs, avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, butter, sour cream, cheese etc.. Preferably it's all grass fed, but at the end of the day if you're looking at the ratio of the calories consumed, you should see that 70% of them should be coming from fat at minimum, 20-25% from protein, and the rest from carbs (which is basically green vegetables). Fruit taken in at a minimum just how nature intended it because fruit technically is not available all year round.

Why is this a long-term solution if done properly (by properly I mean protein is actually kept moderate), is because it supplies the body with constant energy, is satiating, and provides all the nutrients your hormones could ever hope for. Eating say a high fat breakfast of eggs, ground beef (or sausage, bacon, or whatever fatty source you want), and an avocado is enough to easily fill you and carry our energy for the next 6-8 hours. Very little insulin response (no fat storage), no need to out-exercise anything; just enjoy the food and exercise if you have the inclination to. It basically removes the craving for junk food, sugar and the like, and your body operates full of energy for hours on end. Many people report reduced or eliminated inflammation including Fibromyalgia as well. The other reason it's sustainable is because going off course every so often (once or twice a week) for the vast majority of people doesn't cause any adverse effects but in fact stimulates even greater fat loss responses. So in effect you can basically eat whatever you want on those days.

Why might this not work for people, and many people in turn start to feel like crap? Probably because you didn't do it properly and went too high protein. Then we seek out things to correct our metabolism when the simple answer is, give your hormones what they need, fat.
Hi WestCoast,
I totally agree with you here. I have been doing ALOT of reading here and on bodybuilding.com and comparing different things making observations from both and my observation on this site most everyone has gained weight especially the belly including myself. I have came to the conclusion to start using coconut oil for starts which has help ALOT. Anyway, can you pm with example meals or they don't mind you posting here even better. I will use some of RP theory in my meals. For an example I had ricotta cheese with honey and maple syrup and fruit, not sure if that would be an insulin spike? Yes/no. As I feel that insulin spike is important factor.

Birdie

I haven't read this discussion in a long time but I have to say that in my opinion there is no easy way to lose weight !!! Or to keep from gaining weight when you don't need it. It's hard.

I find it's really important to eat often enough, keep drinking milk (mine's in coffee) all day. If I get too busy to eat, I pay the price.

And keep up the salt and sugar...

Lilac

in my opinion there is no easy way to lose weight !!! Or to keep from gaining weight when you don't need it. It's hard.

Yes. Oh so sadly I agree. Countless times on Peat my pants have gotten a bit looser and I've thought, "This is it! Finally the fast-metabolism weight loss has kicked in." But then my hunger roars back and the pants get tighter. I think this is the set point in action. And that is an optimistic point of view. I suspect that long-term that set point will only get higher.

superhuman

Its very easy to loose weight, its just hard mentally to sustain. Make sure you are in a energy deficit, thats it

beachbum

Yes. Oh so sadly I agree. Countless times on Peat my pants have gotten a bit looser and I've thought, "This is it! Finally the fast-metabolism weight loss has kicked in." But then my hunger roars back and the pants get tighter. I think this is the set point in action. And that is an optimistic point of view. I suspect that long-term that set point will only get higher.
This may help some.. https://raypeatforum.com/community/...-with-rps-style-diet.13749/page-3#post-216498.
go to page 3 post 54/55, I posted stuff from RP articles that finally smacked me in the head and turned the lights on..lol

nikolabeacon

This may help some.. Natural Bodybuilding Competition With RP's-style Diet.
go to page 3 post 54/55, I posted stuff from RP articles that finally smacked me in the head and turned the lights on..lol
I have read all of his articles (100 of them) 3 years ago X5 times.....and also his books....and prettybmuch all of his radio interviews for several times....so

And I do not consider them to be Holy Scriptures ...at all :D

Birdie

Could be. Don't like to think in terms of a set point as if we become helpless. Not sure how to say that, but I like to think about ways to fix things and I do think it's possible. I'm not sure who dreamed up the Set Point theory. Maybe somebody in the "food" industry. ;)

haidut

Forum Supporter
Any update on this @haidut? I loved mildronate but don't want the allergenic fillers that most companies use.

We have the raw material but we have to release a few other supplements first. But it is here, so there will be a product similar to Mildronate soon :):

Birdie

Could be. Don't like to think in terms of a set point as if we become helpless. Not sure how to say that, but I like to think about ways to fix things and I do think it's possible. I'm not sure who dreamed up the Set Point theory. Maybe somebody in the "food" industry. ;)
I try to remember that these things are just theories!

YourUniverse

A point on weightloss...
Ive done all the major fad diets in my life - low carb was great when I was 18 but I was moody, vegan was great because it was a carb break from low carb, but I stopped maintaining low bodyfat. Keto was great because I had no hunger and could eat really low calorie to get ripped, but I couldnt sleep, more mood trouble...

I totally get why keto is so popular for weightloss - it completely nullifies your appetite. Health aside, its easy to implement because of appetite suppression alone. Eating along Peat's guidelines is different - there is no appetite suppression, which is a good thing. If your body needs calories, it will politely ask you for them. But I think the way to weight loss eating along Peat's guidelines, is to maintain a low-level, manageable hunger sensation. Reading that last sentence is enough to turn most people off completely! One thing Ive noticed is that its much easier to be a little bit hungry on this metabolism supportive diet.

Ive been waiting for something magical to happen with "cleaning my liver" with caffeine and vitamin K, allowing more glycogen to be stored, probably decreasing appetite. The appetite is still there, but I think the magic of liver cleaning is that the low-level hunger is completely manageable (so far).

I dont know, just my experience with dieting and Peating

Jsaute21

right now ,
low fat milk
potatoes
jasmine white rice
caprylric acid
beef liver
red bull
strawberry nesquick
coffee

Did you find taking thyroid made you gain weight when the weather is cold or were you able to combat this potential side effect? For me, i don't get fat, but just sometimes feel a bit bulkier than i would normally. Interested in @tca300's opinion as well. I wonder if progesterone supplementation may combat any suspected rise in estrogen from thyroid.

T

tca300

Did you find taking thyroid made you gain weight when the weather is cold or were you able to combat this potential side effect? For me, i don't get fat, but just sometimes feel a bit bulkier than i would normally. Interested in @tca300's opinion as well. I wonder if progesterone supplementation may combat any suspected rise in estrogen from thyroid.
I have never noticed weight gain from thyroid or seasonal effects on weight. Maybe the darkness and cold of the winter months increases hunger and therefore weight gain from an excess of calories coupled with lowered metabolism from less bright/red light? Maybe water retention from lower metabolism or inefficient production of atp? I keep close track of my food intake so my weight only fluctuates when I adjust food intake.

Stryker

No , thyroid has never made me gain weight .

I wouldn't say I gain weight in the colder darker months either but I do lose maybe 1% Body Fat in the summer months due to the thirst I aquire from work and my diet shifts more towards milk .
I do have the combo body light/ the red light / and infra red 830 light from RLM , maybe that has an influence?

Aleeri

Instead of starting another thread I thought I'll post in this one.

No matter how you twist and turn it, weight loss to me seems like a stressful and non-Peaty process.

And honestly guys, for weight loss advice Peat does not seem to be a good guy for advice, he has a gut himself after all and what happens during weight loss goes against everything he teaches.

It seems like it is impossible to lose weight without increasing cortisol and free fatty acids (FFAs). This is basically what NEEDS to happen to liberate that fat.

The only way I've read of that seems possible to introduce calorie deficit for weight loss without reducing metabolism (as shown in studies) is by intermittent fasts such as skipping eating for 24 hours, once a week. It seems like it's not enough time to slow the metabolic rate, but of course, it will still increase cortisol and FFAs.

A long-term deficit is more stressful for metabolism than intermittent fasting would ever be, so why are you all against it here?

Sure you can lose weight by increasing metabolism so you burn more calories, but this DOES NOT mean you get away from the FACT that you need a caloric deficit to lose that weight. So we still end up in the same situation of increased cortisol and free fatty acids.

Thermodynamics is simple right, if you want to burn what is stored you have to either move more to create a deficit or eat less, or a combination of both.

Just because your eating Peat does not mean you get godlike power and do not operate under the law of thermodynamics.

Indeed the least stressful way to lose weight would be long-term, very small caloric deficit, but the thing is it's impossible to accurately track calories on that degree of accuracy needed and especially long term.

So why guys are we not talking about short-term intermittent fasting for weight loss? It sure seems to beat long-term calorie restriction, as in the case of let's try to only consume the minimum amount of orange juice/milk we can without going into excess calories, as per Peat recommendations.

frant26

I read somewhere in the forum, I believe member tyw was saying that intermittent fasting does not necessarily raise cortisol. Anyway, I'm very interested in this subject because I want to get rid of the 20 pounds I gained Peating (no, prior to this I didn't do much low carb at all). Fed up with the belly. If I have to go the "damage control" route using lots of vitamin E, I will.

lampofred

Instead of starting another thread I thought I'll post in this one.

No matter how you twist and turn it, weight loss to me seems like a stressful and non-Peaty process.

And honestly guys, for weight loss advice Peat does not seem to be a good guy for advice, he has a gut himself after all and what happens during weight loss goes against everything he teaches.

It seems like it is impossible to lose weight without increasing cortisol and free fatty acids (FFAs). This is basically what NEEDS to happen to liberate that fat.

The only way I've read of that seems possible to introduce calorie deficit for weight loss without reducing metabolism (as shown in studies) is by intermittent fasts such as skipping eating for 24 hours, once a week. It seems like it's not enough time to slow the metabolic rate, but of course, it will still increase cortisol and FFAs.

A long-term deficit is more stressful for metabolism than intermittent fasting would ever be, so why are you all against it here?

Sure you can lose weight by increasing metabolism so you burn more calories, but this DOES NOT mean you get away from the FACT that you need a caloric deficit to lose that weight. So we still end up in the same situation of increased cortisol and free fatty acids.

Thermodynamics is simple right, if you want to burn what is stored you have to either move more to create a deficit or eat less, or a combination of both.

Just because your eating Peat does not mean you get godlike power and do not operate under the law of thermodynamics.

Indeed the least stressful way to lose weight would be long-term, very small caloric deficit, but the thing is it's impossible to accurately track calories on that degree of accuracy needed and especially long term.

So why guys are we not talking about short-term intermittent fasting for weight loss? It sure seems to beat long-term calorie restriction, as in the case of let's try to only consume the minimum amount of orange juice/milk we can without going into excess calories, as per Peat recommendations.

Supplementing thyroid, bag breathing/hypoventilating (aka Buteyko) and moving to high altitude will all help you to lose weight in a healthy way by increasing mitochondria instead of in an unhealthy way by starving. Basically the real key to healthy weight loss seems to be CO2.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals