Danny Roddy Scores!

OP
Lightbringer

Lightbringer

Keeping linguistics aside for a minute :geek: , did anyone catch Ray's response when Danny asked about the protein content of mushrooms ? I think he sadi he could compare it to milk and not meat and something after that.

Tarmander

Interview was okay. I wish Danny had asked some more challenging questions on how to interpret his work; how to put it into practice. I think most people find that the biggest challenge in approaching his writing. But hey, lets listen to the Blake college/Spy stories again for 40 minutes...yaaaaay.

michael94

I think he said mushroom protein content is comparable to milk at around 3%

Tarmander said:
post 118802 Interview was okay. I wish Danny had asked some more challenging questions on how to interpret his work; how to put it into practice. I think most people find that the biggest challenge in approaching his writing. But hey, lets listen to the Blake college/Spy stories again for 40 minutes...yaaaaay.

Seems like he tried to do that at the end but wasn't really persistent about it

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarmander

icecreamlover said:
post 118803 I think he said mushroom protein content is comparable to milk at around 3%

Tarmander said:
post 118802 Interview was okay. I wish Danny had asked some more challenging questions on how to interpret his work; how to put it into practice. I think most people find that the biggest challenge in approaching his writing. But hey, lets listen to the Blake college/Spy stories again for 40 minutes...yaaaaay.

Seems like he tried to do that at the end but wasn't really persistent about it

Yeah, the stuff at the end was ncie and meaty :D

milk_lover

Tarmander said:
In the beginning when I started following Peat teachings, his articles were hard for me to read. As I improved my brain metabolism (I think?), or maybe with more repetition, his writing has become easy to follow and implement in real life. When I read an article for the first time, I learn stuff, but I miss a lot of valuable info. I read the same article few days later, I learn even more stuff. Now to reinforce the knowledge you've obtained from him, you need to experiment with it. The whole "perceive, think, act" concept. I quote a quote Danny used in his milk video, "the true method of knowledge is experiment," by William Blake. For me, I can't learn without application/practice, probably that's why I chose engineering for a living.

Maybe this is the first of a series of interviews with Ray Peat that Danny plans to do. So he maybe wants to be done with Ray Peat biography/background in the first interview and then focus on Ray Peat's health ideas in the next interviews. I don't know, just speculations. Or the guy is really interested in knowing Peat's history (who wouldn't?). But overall, we learned new stuff from this interview like the 3g of protein in 100(g/ml?) of mushrooms. Wheat germ could deplete your calcium.

T

tobieagle

Tarmander said:

I strongly disagree.
We hear every month the same low level practical stuff on kmud.org.
PUFA bad, eat sugar, take thyroid bla bla...

I found this interview very interesting.
Many things I have never heard before.
You could hear that Peat enjoyed this interview far more than the usual kmud-torture with the annoying woman.

Tarmander

You guys have a point. I mean I guess if you have never heard the Blake college stuff it may be interesting, but I found the first forty minutes pretty repetitive. Yeah there was some new stuff in there about Mushrooms too, so it is not like the interview was just a waste, that is why I said it was OKAY.

I would have loved to hear about any of the following: What does he think about the upcoming elections, lots of people are experimenting with low PUFA diets, what kinds of things should they expect in the first four years of this (the first "half life"), what can people expect with supplementing preg in the first few months vs long term, what about the reports of people getting gyno and stress reactions from preg, how would someone approach drinking coffee for the first time if they have failed before. List could go on and on, and these aren't necessarily questions I am personally looking to get answered, but stuff I have read on the forums. High dose Vitamin K experiences, etc. Danny had an hour with Peat, I just wish the first forty minutes weren't about Blake College. That is just my personal feeling.

bobbybobbob

Westside PUFAs said:
There's no such thing as a California accent.

Yes there is. It's very easy to peg SoCal born and raised people. I mean, I guess for an example listen to Phil Hartman stuff. It's subtle, but obvious if you have an ear. I go out to San Diego all the time and feel like I'm in a foreign country.

Westside PUFAs said:
there are only about five American regional accents:

1.Boston/New England
2.New York City (minus Manhattan because people who live in Manhattan are not from NYC)/New Jersey/Long Island
3.Illinois/Michigan/Upper mid West (I know there is a slight difference between that accent and the more Canadian-like upper Minnesota accent but I still lump them together)
4.The South (starts at VA, goes down to northern FL, across to TX and then back up to VA, a triangle)
5.Hawaiian Pidgin

This list is totally bonkers. Every 200 miles in America the accents and vocabulary change a bit. I can easily peg people from the Delaware Valley vice Western Pennsylvania, and obviously vice the Hudson Valley. South Jersey people talk completely differently from North Jersey types (ignoring New Yorkers). New England is a kaleidoscope of regional accents, but I've not spent enough time there to identify them all. Same deal with the south. Tidewater Virginia is super obviously completely different from Mississippi Delta and from Arkansas highlands.

Upper Midwesterners like the Yoopers barely sound like they even speak American.

Listen to these Tangiersmen from coastal Virginia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E

bobbybobbob

Kaspar_Hauser said:
I think he mentioned he'd release the audio this weekend. Look forward to hearing about Mushroom recipes from Peat!

I keep hearing about cooking neutralizing toxins in foods. With regard to the audio interview on mushrooms it was a little hand wavy, but hydrazine came up. I'd like some smart people to talk about pressure cookers.

Potatoes, spinach/kale, mushrooms: it comes up over and over that when cooked well various foods are great, but cooked lightly they can be a problem.

The top notch (expensive) pressure cookers dramatically accelerate cooking. A mushroom + gelatin + spinach dish might be a 20 minute affair rather two hours of boiling. I have a cheapo digital pressure cooker that doesn't do very high pressure but it's still fantastic for cooking boiled potatoes in salty water. I hear the cooking helps reduce solanine and other problems as well as break down starch a bit. Using the pressure cooker means I can eat potatoes, basically. You throw them in and program half an hour. That's just not going to happen if the optimal answer is 2.2 hours of boiling on the stove at one atmosphere of pressure. (Or for that matter: go source fresh and ripe tropical fruits. That ain't happening.)

messtafarian

This is bull****.

Could Danny Roddy please do his own marketing not on the Ray Peat board?

Danny Roddy is not Ray Peat. Why is this post here? What did Danny Roddy score?

You know you can write to Ray, who is still alive, very active, intelligent, kind and interested in solving health problems of all types, and ask him anything you want.

messtafarian said:
post 119087 This is bull****.

You know you can write to Ray, who is still alive, very active, intelligent, kind and interested in solving health problems of all types, and ask him anything you want.

cuz Ray Peat is too damn complex, ooh scary :lol: please boil it down for me and maybe pre-chew it :cool:

tara

messtafarian said:
post 119087 Danny Roddy is not Ray Peat. Why is this post here? What did Danny Roddy score?

I'm happy to have Roddy's and other Peat-inspired practitioners material drawn to my attention here. Especially if it includes new content directfrom Peat, as this does.
Peat's email address is not publicly available, presumably because he was getting swamped with more email questions than he was willing and able to respond to.
This thread is filed under Danny Roddy. No need to read this subforum if you don't want to.

messtafarian

tara said:
post 119139
messtafarian said:
post 119087 Danny Roddy is not Ray Peat. Why is this post here? What did Danny Roddy score?

I'm happy to have Roddy's and other Peat-inspired practitioners material drawn to my attention here. Especially if it includes new content directfrom Peat, as this does.
Peat's email address is not publicly available, presumably because he was getting swamped with more email questions than he was willing and able to respond to.
This thread is filed under Danny Roddy. No need to read this subforum if you don't want to.

Dr. Peat will respond to anyone who is in serious need of advice or who has a real health problem. I agree though that he's not available to chitchat about someone's extra 10 pounds or whatever.

I like Ray a lot. I do not like Danny Roddy much, so yes, best for me to not read this sub-forum. :)

CoolTweetPete

messtafarian said:
post 119087 This is bull****.

Well, he is talking to Ray Peat in this interview, so there's that.

Ideonaut

bobbybobbob said:
post 118719 I have a plenty of respect for Danny Roddy but he has an egregious case of California UpTalk.
This is just immature name calling. What's the specific complaint about California talk? You don't like it? Who cares? Prejudice toward the best coast?

I assume vocal frying is also well respected over there? uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

CoolTweetPete

brumpfschmlog said:
post 119232
bobbybobbob said:
post 118719 I have a plenty of respect for Danny Roddy but he has an egregious case of California UpTalk.
This is just immature name calling. What's the specific complaint about California talk? You don't like it? Who cares? Prejudice toward the best coast?

I was with you until the best coat part. I don't understand why people feel an allegiance to particular patches of land they were born in. I find that immature. People have zero control over where they were born.

I lived in California forever minus a recent year stint in Chicago and I found many people had a better sense of community in Illinois than here. My theory is that the extreme weather forces people to rely on each other more heavily during winter. We have no such thing in SF.

Ideonaut

CoolTweetPete said:
post 119237 I find that immature.
Agreed. Just throwing a little fire at his fire to show how it feels. Some east coasters assume that it is the superior place. Nothing wrong with having a preference for one place over another, but put-downs aren't appreciated. Even kidding, I didn't appreciate his put-down of Danny's "California uptalk." Whereever the hell he's from, apparently he thinks it's a given that its speech and attitudes are superior.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals