Getting The Most Out Of Your Coffee?

lindsay

I should preface this thread by saying that I am an espresso lover - I have a good machine and that's how I usually drink my coffee. Good and strong and full of magnesium.

However, after listening to the Danny Roddy interview with RP, he noted that he likes to use a sort of partial cold brew method with his coffee, because of the antioxidants in coffee......

This got me wanting to experiment with some cold brewing, and - well the taste is just out of this world amazing! The same fine coffee grounds as I use in my espresso machine just taste wow in cold-brew form. The question is, how to get the most caffeine out of this cold brew method so that I am getting good taste, antioxidants and as much caffeine as possible? Does anyone have any thoughts and/or experience? I usually let my coffee sit for at least 12 hours, but not in the refrigerator - sometimes I let it sit longer, depending on how patient I am waiting for my coffee. I put it in a jar on the porch so that it's closer to room temp - this makes a stronger coffee. Plus, it seems a very safe way to make coffee - in a glass jar. When it's done, I mix in cream and homemade sugar syrup (with a little added salt). Best coffee ever, especially as the temperatures get warmer.

But am I getting the same caffeine content? Some sources say cold brew contains more caffeine, others say less. Would love to hear your thoughts on the subject. Thank you!

javin

Cold brew definitely contains more caffeine from my own personal experience with it. For me it's usually too much. It makes me feel wired, anxious, and like electricity is running through my body. I don't know if it's technically more caffeine or if it's chemically different from the cold-brew method. All I know is it makes me feel different.

I'll usually just have 6 oz. of coffee per day, with about 6 oz. of milk and some honey. I figure that's enough to give me some benefit/nutrients, without going overboard. I think if you start feeling negative effects from coffee, it's doing more bad than good.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Cold brew definitely contains more caffeine from my own personal experience with it. For me it's usually too much. It makes me feel wired, anxious, and like electricity is running through my body. I don't know if it's technically more caffeine or if it's chemically different from the cold-brew method. All I know is it makes me feel different.

I'll usually just have 6 oz. of coffee per day, with about 6 oz. of milk and some honey. I figure that's enough to give me some benefit/nutrients, without going overboard. I think if you start feeling negative effects from coffee, it's doing more bad than good.

I feel nothing from caffeine. Makes me feel slightly more alert - that's all. Granted, I drink it with cream and plenty of sugar, but unlike most people - I could drink caffeine all day and still sleep at night. Which is why I am trying to get as much caffeine as possible from my coffee. I want the liver protective effects of it and the mild stimulation. That whole "jitters" from coffee thing - I have no idea what that is. Doesn't exist for me. Stress gives me jitters - coffee gives me happiness.

milk_lover

Cold-brew coffee is very awesome in the summer hot days (UAE is made for cold-brew I think :)). I think although caffeine dissolves better in hot water, cold-brew has equal or even more caffeine because typically they have higher ratio of coffee to water. I personally like cold-brew from Starbucks and I get alerted when I drink it, which means there is definitely a good amount of caffeine. The taste is not that bitter and I can add cane sugar syrup to make it extra sweet.

scarlettsmum

I feel nothing from caffeine. Makes me feel slightly more alert - that's all. Granted, I drink it with cream and plenty of sugar, but unlike most people - I could drink caffeine all day and still sleep at night. Which is why I am trying to get as much caffeine as possible from my coffee. I want the liver protective effects of it and the mild stimulation. That whole "jitters" from coffee thing - I have no idea what that is. Doesn't exist for me. Stress gives me jitters - coffee gives me happiness.

I'm so jealous! Coffee equals jitters for me. I wonder why some can tolerate it and others can't? Is it just down to liver health? I used to be able tolerate it without jitters when younger and then metabolism took a dive and from then on I can't do coffee well. Certainly not first thing in the morning, only with large meal once I build up some glycogen.

Luann

You can leave it in the jar, out of the fridge, for 24 + hours. That is one way to make sure you're detting plenty of caffeine.

kaybb

I'm so jealous! Coffee equals jitters for me. I wonder why some can tolerate it and others can't? Is it just down to liver health? I used to be able tolerate it without jitters when younger and then metabolism took a dive and from then on I can't do coffee well. Certainly not first thing in the morning, only with large meal once I build up some glycogen.
Have you tried taking Taurine and Theanine with its? It works wonders for me.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Maybe it's because I only drink strong coffee (which is higher in magnesium), but I only had really bad issues with coffee years ago. I have always taken my coffee with cream or milk and sugar - and it doesn't affect me, aside from causing a bowel movement - but even then, it's only sometimes. I also take thyroid (currently, topical TyroMax and Blue Sky T3 - in my coffee actually) and this makes a difference, I am sure - since thyroid helps with blood sugar regulation. Plus, I tend to eat fruit with my coffee and sometimes yogurt or other protein. But usually, just cream, sugar and salt is enough to offset jitters. That being said, I am three years into a change in food patterns and I get ample sugar, fat and protein in my diet, so my body is somewhat more stable than it used to be. Coffee is one of those things I'm always confused by because so many people I know get crazy jitters and problems and I just don't. Which is a mystery to me, because I take so many other substances and vitamins to help me with daily life. Maybe taking pregnenolone or progesterone with coffee would help? The two are both incredibly relaxing and I use them so frequently, I have no idea how much they relax my system at this point.

scarlettsmum

I've tried Theanine and it did help, however it took a while to kick in. I would probably have to take it 1/2-1 h before drinking coffee, and I never remember. How do you take it? Does it work for you straight away? Also I have read someone's post on the forum that they used to take caffeine pills and Theanine to offset the jittery effect for a few months and developed fat around their stomach from the cortisol? Which I don't understand since other posts on forum say that Theanine stops cortisol, so go figure..
I am yet to try taurine, for some reason Theanine seems safer to me, not sure why? And is it?

scarlettsmum

Maybe it's because I only drink strong coffee (which is higher in magnesium), but I only had really bad issues with coffee years ago. I have always taken my coffee with cream or milk and sugar - and it doesn't affect me, aside from causing a bowel movement - but even then, it's only sometimes. I also take thyroid (currently, topical TyroMax and Blue Sky T3 - in my coffee actually) and this makes a difference, I am sure - since thyroid helps with blood sugar regulation. Plus, I tend to eat fruit with my coffee and sometimes yogurt or other protein. But usually, just cream, sugar and salt is enough to offset jitters. That being said, I am three years into a change in food patterns and I get ample sugar, fat and protein in my diet, so my body is somewhat more stable than it used to be. Coffee is one of those things I'm always confused by because so many people I know get crazy jitters and problems and I just don't. Which is a mystery to me, because I take so many other substances and vitamins to help me with daily life. Maybe taking pregnenolone or progesterone with coffee would help? The two are both incredibly relaxing and I use them so frequently, I have no idea how much they relax my system at this point.

I see, thanks for the explanation. Perhaps after 3 years I too will be able to tolerate it. My liver is probably sluggish, blood tests said elevated enzymes. I should probably do something about it to correct it but I am ever so careful with supplements so taking the slow route pretty much. Just gathering knowledge so that I may have more confidence to experiment in the future.

kaybb

I've tried Theanine and it did help, however it took a while to kick in. I would probably have to take it 1/2-1 h before drinking coffee, and I never remember. How do you take it? Does it work for you straight away? Also I have read someone's post on the forum that they used to take caffeine pills and Theanine to offset the jittery effect for a few months and developed fat around their stomach from the cortisol? Which I don't understand since other posts on forum say that Theanine stops cortisol, so go figure..
I am yet to try taurine, for some reason Theanine seems safer to me, not sure why? And is it?
Yes , I feel a subtle feeling of calmness within the hour from the Theanine but I have to take enough. I will take 400mg sometimes. And Taurine is more important for me to take than even Theanine. It does take awhile but it takes the palpitations and nervousness right away. And there are some threads on Taurine and I read a lot plus my doctor was fine with both of them. I would just take them while you are having your caffeine. And again at night or some whenever you need it. But just when you are ready and feel it would help. I had done RP methods for about 3 or 4 months before I started caffeine.

scarlettsmum

Yes , I feel a subtle feeling of calmness within the hour from the Theanine but I have to take enough. I will take 400mg sometimes. And Taurine is more important for me to take than even Theanine. It does take awhile but it takes the palpitations and nervousness right away. And there are some threads on Taurine and I read a lot plus my doctor was fine with both of them. I would just take them while you are having your caffeine. And again at night or some whenever you need it. But just when you are ready and feel it would help. I had done RP methods for about 3 or 4 months before I started caffeine.

Thanks Kaybb, I will do some more reading and research on taurine. I have a feeling it might help since I also have sluggish liver and high cholesterol and I believe Haidut posted a study about taurine resolving these issues, if I remember well.

kaybb

Thanks Kaybb, I will do some more reading and research on taurine. I have a feeling it might help since I also have sluggish liver and high cholesterol and I believe Haidut posted a study about taurine resolving these issues, if I remember well.
Best of luck !! @scarlettsmum

kaybb

Good info. Do you think instant coffee is less healthy? More acidic? You have peaked my interest, I have been reading about cold brew :)