Cabbage Broth?

Bruv

My wife bought a savoy cabbage today. She was looking for kale but was offered this instead. My plan had been to add kale to a stock in the last hour or two of cooking. Is this cabbage ok to use instead or am I better off not using it?

J

j.

Cooking reduces the goitrogens. But even with the goitrogens, I think the effects last only a few days, if it's something you're going to do just once.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
You are making a stock for what I assume healthy reasons. In my opinion cabbage is not healthy and that goes against the stock you are making.

OP
B

Bruv

I only have bones, tendons and skin in my stock but read that some Peat followers are putting kale in theirs so thats why my wife went looking for kale

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Kale is good for stocks.

Is that cow skin you are talking about?

mt_dreams

If using kale in stock, make sure to add it early on as it has to cook for a decent amount of time to deactivate its negative attributes. I have access to chicken feet so I use those for stocks, and pork skin tastes so much better when you make cracklings out of it ... though if you are going to skim off the fat from the stock I guess it's a good way to avoid the PUFAs that are present in cracklings.

OP
B

Bruv

Yeah I like crackling but some parts of pork skin don't make great crackling.

cout12

[ moderator edit: threads merged ]

I remove the cabbage completely before eating.

I've been eating the broth for a few days and have had watery stool. Not sure if it's a coincidence.

Are all green vegetable safe when you just make broth and not eat them?

If it matters, usually green vegetables do upset my stomach a bit but not like that. I thought maybe just the broth would not?

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveFoster

Cabbage is one of the worst vegetables due to its goitrogenic activity. It's also one of the tastiest.

cout12

so which vegetable is good to put in a broth? I'm not eating the vegetable, just drinking the water.

tara

I tend to go for greener leaves, spinach, silver beet (chard?), kale. (I eat the leaves too, but I think a lot of the benefit is in the broth.) If I was going to use cabbage broth, I'd select the greenest out leaves and cook for a long time.
I think the chlorophyll molecules themselves contain magnesium, and green is an indicator for chlorophyll.
Not sure if these are the best options - will be interested to know if others have better suggestions.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals