Vegetables ❤

Shesjay

I don't quite get that carrots can be good and other root vegetables *can* be bad. I don't get why fibre can be bad other than because it feeds bacteria. I don't get that so called "good bacteria" that produce CO2 can be bad, and that the fibre which allows them to produce this is bad. Why does medicine even name some bacteria good, and some bacteria bad? Do the good bacteria even produce endotoxin?

So many questions... But, I've been thinking about adding a variety of vegetables back into my diet. Sweet potato, pumpkin, radishes, zucchini, beetroot, cucumber, leek, onion, garlic, ginger, tumeric, well cooked baby kale or spinach, shallots, capsicum, chilli, lemongrass, herbs. I love them, and life's more enjoyable being able to share dinner with people. Surely they are not that bad. My family and doctor think I'm silly not eating them, thinking this contributes to my poor health. I know modern medicine is frowned upon around here, and I understand why, but where are the studies saying that vegetables pose a health risk?

Also, it was probably a load of rubbish, but the other day I found a website saying that estrogenic foods such as herbs are okay as they bind to estrogen receptors, and have less activity than that of the estrogen the body produces. I'd have to see what the studies say, has anyone read any about estrogenic foods other than the major ones like soy & flaxseed?

Thoughts?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Something I just read regarding vegetables:

Ray Peat said:
Leafy vegetables are a very rich source of magnesium, but they are also a potential source of large amounts of lead and other toxins. In 1960, many people, including the U.S.government, were advocating the use of a largely vegetarian diet for children, because of the amount of radioactive strontium in milk. I compared the amount of strontium in a diet of vegetables that would provide the necessary quantity of calcium and protein, and it was clear that vegetables were the worst source of radioactive strontium, because their ratio of strontium to calcium was much higher than the ratio in milk. The cows were concentrating calcium and protein from the contaminated plant foods, eliminating much of the strontium. This principle still applies to the toxins that are currently found in the U.S. food supply.
Source

OP
Shesjay

Shesjay

@Charlie, wow, I hadn't read that article before. Some very interesting stuff about PTH.
I guess a couple of serves of veggies a day wouldn't be too bad. Especially if offset by something like cheese sauce. :D

pboy

probably a good call...what I take away from it is that we don't need to buy into needing a ton of fruits vegetables and fiber, but some well cooked for the sake of flavor
or some minerals here and there aren't likely to do much or any harm, and depending on what else youre eating might be a beneficial addition. It is true that many raw vegetables, herbs, fiber can cause harsh gastral symptoms like gas or the need to go quickly, which may pose a problem. I don't really know much about the endotoxin thing...but I know that when I eat something not comfortable it affects my mind because it makes me re strategieze the day based on feeling not ideal in the torso...or having to hold a too bulky stool for too long can be highly upsetting, especially if gas or sulfur smells are involved

Dutchie

Shesjay said:
I don't quite get that carrots can be good and other root vegetables *can* be bad. I don't get why fibre can be bad other than because it feeds bacteria. I don't get that so called "good bacteria" that produce CO2 can be bad, and that the fibre which allows them to produce this is bad. Why does medicine even name some bacteria good, and some bacteria bad? Do the good bacteria even produce endotoxin?

So many questions... But, I've been thinking about adding a variety of vegetables back into my diet. Sweet potato, pumpkin, radishes, zucchini, beetroot, cucumber, leek, onion, garlic, ginger, tumeric, well cooked baby kale or spinach, shallots, capsicum, chilli, lemongrass, herbs. I love them, and life's more enjoyable being able to share dinner with people. Surely they are not that bad. My family and doctor think I'm silly not eating them, thinking this contributes to my poor health. I know modern medicine is frowned upon around here, and I understand why, but where are the studies saying that vegetables pose a health risk?

Also, it was probably a load of rubbish, but the other day I found a website saying that estrogenic foods such as herbs are okay as they bind to estrogen receptors, and have less activity than that of the estrogen the body produces. I'd have to see what the studies say, has anyone read any about estrogenic foods other than the major ones like soy & flaxseed?

Thoughts?

I don't think any cooked/sauteed root vegetables,the fruit vegetables or pumpkin are bad,as well as the fibers in it. You're rigth they feed good gutbacteria and I think they're important for digestion,health,immunity etc.
Personally,I don't buy into the theory of the sterile gut as a favorable thing to strive for. I also sometimes get the feeling certain people try to 'scare' people off it,because of their own personal disdain towards veggies.

I'd say if you like them,eat them,just not (too much) raw.:)

OP
Shesjay

Shesjay

Okay thanks both~
I am looking forward to eating veggies again. I hope I can tolerate a lot. I'm sad that ginger made me feel ill - last night I had a beautiful fresh ginger & honey tea.
I guess I'll see if the veggies are causing havoc on my gut & bacteria by how bad my candida problems become, also. Hopefully some good guys will grow in there (with the addition of veggies) and kick it out!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals