Biofilm Annihilation

Kyle M

Why not just give NAC as shot? It has been proven to work.
Do you think, in order to clear out stubborn upper GI bacteria, that NAC in combination with some kind of antibiotic (S. boulardii, allicin, oregano oil, etc.)? Or does the NAC break down the biofilm AND attack the bacteria living in it?

EIRE24

Wh
Do you think, in order to clear out stubborn upper GI bacteria, that NAC in combination with some kind of antibiotic (S. boulardii, allicin, oregano oil, etc.)? Or does the NAC break down the biofilm AND attack the bacteria living in it?
what exactly is NAC? And where would you purchase it?

Diokine

@kayumochi

I took accutane also, around 5 years ago. It really messed my guts up bad, IBS symptoms and malabsorption, bad bowel movements etc. When I first read your post regarding NAC and biofilms something also intuitively told me it was the direction to look into. I believe I had an overgrowth of candida as well as some opportunistic bacteria. I was starting to experience symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis and my health started to seriously suffer. I took a seven day regimen of Keflex, along with cycling NAC and oregano oil. I also took aspirin, around 1g/day, as it helped my gut tremendously I think due to it being an antifungal.

Incredible difference. I still take NAC 1-2x per week, and my guts have never worked this well in my entire life. I've been taking low dose cyproheptadine as well, and it has helped my sleep and digestion.

kayumochi

@kayumochi

I took accutane also, around 5 years ago. It really messed my guts up bad, IBS symptoms and malabsorption, bad bowel movements etc. When I first read your post regarding NAC and biofilms something also intuitively told me it was the direction to look into. I believe I had an overgrowth of candida as well as some opportunistic bacteria. I was starting to experience symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis and my health started to seriously suffer. I took a seven day regimen of Keflex, along with cycling NAC and oregano oil. I also took aspirin, around 1g/day, as it helped my gut tremendously I think due to it being an antifungal.

Incredible difference. I still take NAC 1-2x per week, and my guts have never worked this well in my entire life. I've been taking low dose cyproheptadine as well, and it has helped my sleep and digestion.

That is wonderful news. I wonder if a resistant starch routine would help you like it has helped me? I take unmodified potato starch most every day, mixed with other things.

EIRE24

That is wonderful news. I wonder if a resistant starch routine would help you like it has helped me? I take unmodified potato starch most every day, mixed with other things.
What exactly is NAC? I will 100% be trying this

Pet Peeve

Back in the late 1980's I developed a chronic crack on the right corner of my mouth. It was painful and sometimes bled. From time to time both corners were cracked.

I used to have this too. I read one day that it was a superficial fungal infection from residual toothpaste. I started to really wash the corners of my mouth with water after brushing and I have never had it even once since then. My friend had the same problem and I told her this and she never had it again either.

kayumochi

I used to have this too. I read one day that it was a superficial fungal infection from residual toothpaste. I started to really wash the corners of my mouth with water after brushing and I have never had it even once since then. My friend had the same problem and I told her this and she never had it again either.
tried that. didn't work. neither did prescription meds.

Amazoniac

It's really diverse the reaction to resistant starch. Some people happen to encourage the growth of a safer profile of bacteria, which in turn can manufacture b-vits in the intestines, or at least not poison you to the point of wasting a great deal of nutrients with protection. Cracked corners of the mouth is a classic symptom of riboflavin deficiency, and when a region is fragilized, avoiding any irritant counts.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/10297373_Synthesis_of_riboflavin_by_intestinal_bacteria

Kyle M

This is interesting but the gist of that article is that the antioxidant properties of NAC prevent cancer cell destruction through radical molecules. This would be an indictment of all antioxidant molecules, if I'm following the logic of the paper correctly. So if you don't currently have a large number of cancerous cells, or if your body isn't using radical molecules to combat cancer cell formation right now, then it shouldn't hurt you to use this (vis a vis cancer).

kayumochi

It's really diverse the reaction to resistant starch. Some people happen to encourage the growth of a safer profile of bacteria, which in turn can manufacture b-vits in the intestines, or at least not poison you to the point of wasting a great deal of nutrients with protection. Cracked corners of the mouth is a classic symptom of riboflavin deficiency, and when a region is fragilized, avoiding any irritant counts.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/10297373_Synthesis_of_riboflavin_by_intestinal_bacteria

I am familiar with the Riboflavin - crack connection. Taking the supplement didn't help. Dunno.

kayumochi

This is interesting but the gist of that article is that the antioxidant properties of NAC prevent cancer cell destruction through radical molecules. This would be an indictment of all antioxidant molecules, if I'm following the logic of the paper correctly. So if you don't currently have a large number of cancerous cells, or if your body isn't using radical molecules to combat cancer cell formation right now, then it shouldn't hurt you to use this (vis a vis cancer).

Interesting. I would like to stop taking NAC which is why I am open to the Vitamin A suggestion.

whodathunkit

I am familiar with the Riboflavin - crack connection. Taking the supplement didn't help. Dunno.
There's a theory that angular cheilitis (cracks in the corner of mouth) has to do with folate deficiency. NOT folic acid, but active folate. I don't know if there's scientific evidence to back this up, but I have found folate deficiency to bring on angular cheilitis in my case. Taking active folate like Solgar's Metafolin cures it. I escalated dosage until the cracks disappeared. And of course, folate needs B2 to work. If someone is riboflavin deficient that could possibly cause cracks, too, maybe because none of the B vitamins can work properly without riboflavin. But I've found cracks in the corners of my mouth to be resolved with folate supplementation, not B2.

Folate may also need adequate B12 to work properly, as well. The interactions between the B vitamins seems to be very interdependent and complex. But there are medical doctors and nutritionists who understand the connection between B12 and folate, and use it therapeutically. The two have been instrumental in my recovery from CFS.

kayumochi

There's a theory that angular cheilitis (cracks in the corner of mouth) has to do with folate deficiency. NOT folic acid, but active folate. I don't know if there's scientific evidence to back this up, but I have found folate deficiency to bring on angular cheilitis in my case. Taking active folate like Solgar's Metafolin cures it. I escalated dosage until the cracks disappeared. And of course, folate needs B2 to work. If someone is riboflavin deficient that could possibly cause cracks, too, maybe because none of the B vitamins can work properly without riboflavin. But I've found cracks in the corners of my mouth to be resolved with folate supplementation, not B2.

Folate may also need adequate B12 to work properly, as well. The interactions between the B vitamins seems to be very interdependent and complex. But there are medical doctors and nutritionists who understand the connection between B12 and folate, and use it therapeutically. The two have been instrumental in my recovery from CFS.

I'll give that some thought as I do want to stop the NAC even though it has been nothing but helpful. Will have to review exactly what B Vitamins I take/used to take. Thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals