Amazing "Croissant Diet" Experiment Results (Stearic Acid/Saturated Fat)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Everyday since stopping the cocoa butter my bowels continue to improve.

Vinny

Everyday since stopping the cocoa butter my bowels continue to improve.
Glad for you!
Why would you think that be?

I haven't tried the pure butter yet, still waiting to come...

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Glad for you!
Why would you think that be?

I haven't tried the pure butter yet, still waiting to come...
Perhaps I can’t tolerate a lot of stearic acid or something else in cocoa butter? I seem fine with fat from beef, tallow and butter though.

Mauritio

I also can't digest cocoa butter for some reason, it gives me serotonin symptoms.
Other stearic acid sources are fine ,even pure stearic acid seems better than cocoa butter.

success23

Chronic administration of palmitoleic acid reduces insulin resistance and hepatic lipid accumulation in KK-Ay Mice with genetic type 2 diabetes
"
Chronic administration of palmitoleic acid reduces insulin resistance and hepatic lipid accumulation in KK-Ay Mice with genetic type 2 diabetes"

Caffeine Promotes Conversion of Palmitic Acid to Palmitoleic Acid by Inducing Expression of fat-5 in Caenorhabditis elegans and scd1 in Mice

So this diet is rich in palmitic acid. Palmitic acid can be trasformed into palmitoleic acid by the scd1 enzyme. Scd1 is increased by insulin ( not sure) . Insulin also stops beta-oxidation and forces more palmitic acid to turn into palmitolenic acid. Starches increase insulin quite good.

If someone stops something wrong let me know.

Vinny

tankasnowgod

I happened across an old thread of Natedawggh (who is no longer active on the forum) who apparently saw weight loss benefits from dramatically upping dairy fat intake. His experience largely lines up with the Croissant Diet. The thread is here, but I will post some of the relevant quotes below-

Dairy Fat Successfully Replaced My Thyroid Medication

"I wasn't really taking my thyroid. I was starting to run out of my latest refill and was making it stretch. I realized I hadn't been as keen on dairy as I had been before, when I had lost weight and felt good. I was feeling fed up and decided to **** it all and just load up on dairy fat.

"Since whole milk has had the cream removed, I added cream to my milk (1 pint for a whole gallon), in addition have been consuming 1 stick (1/4 lb) of butter a day (1/2 in the am 1/2 before bed), and have been consuming a quart of half-and-half at lunch time along with other high-dairy foods while avoiding sources of PUFA like chicken.

"It had the immediate effect of making me feel satiated like I haven't been for a while. I gained more weight for the first two days but then that stopped. It also raised my body temperature, but only for brief periods during the day. After about five days I stopped aching, and I started to notice a more consistent body temperature. I was still a little cold in the mornings but I wasn't aching, and instead of taking 2 or 3 hours to warm up I warmed up immediately. I've now been off thyroid for two whole weeks and I feel amazing. I've lost 5 lbs. I've continued taking my aspirin and supplements, but the large amount of dairy fat seems like it has finally freed me from my medication. I haven't felt uncomfortably cold for the last two whole days! My pulse is consistently strong and on the fast side. I've never been able to go more than four days without it, without feeling like I was going to die. Not only do I not feel that way, I feel pretty good."

"I could easily see alcohol users gaining weight from adding this much fat to their diet, since the body under the stress of alcohol is stimulated to store fat. Rather than not increasing dairy I'd suggest going sober for a while.

"Failure to reduce PUFA sources if doing high-dairy fat might not have the beneficial effects I've experienced. I think the benefit comes from the very high ratio of good fats to bad fats, and having sources of PUFA in the diet while doing this would reduce that high ratio.

"I'm not calorie counting or measuring. Just literally consuming large amounts of dairy fat along with my regular meals, but incidentally am not as hungry as usual so they've been less often or smaller than usual (though because of the fat calories are still up around 3.5k-4k a day). Fruit, potato chips made in coconut oil, potatoes, vegetables, and my casein protein shake with cane sugar feature prominently."

Philomath

I also can't digest cocoa butter for some reason, it gives me serotonin symptoms.
Other stearic acid sources are fine ,even pure stearic acid seems better than cocoa butter.
I bought cocoa butter from Whole Foods and even though it’s well within the “sell by” period, it has a strong taste and smell. After doing some reading, it appears most white chocolate bars use deodorized cocoa butter. Could there be irritants in the non deodorized type?

Mauritio

I bought cocoa butter from Whole Foods and even though it’s well within the “sell by” period, it has a strong taste and smell. After doing some reading, it appears most white chocolate bars use deodorized cocoa butter. Could there be irritants in the non deodorized type?
Definitely possible. I also have no problem with white chocolate so far.
But I have to correct my statement above. Also found that pure stearic acid was bad for me. I stopped it and my brittle hair that was falling out before became normal again. Always a sign of intestinal irritation for me.

tankasnowgod

So, dinner tonight was cheese fries! Potatoes deep fried in Hydrogenated Coconut Oil with Additional Stearic Acid. Melted some cheese over them.

YAAAASSSS.

Man, this is going to be fun!

Xisca

Ironically I had added cocoa butter to my coffee one night before work last week and ended up burping up the cocoa butter all night and then having diarrhea. The next time I tried cocoa butter in my coffee I had it with a meal and everything was fine. @Xisca & @Lollipop2 can vouch for my story because we discussed it at the time. I believe it was on 12/8/19.
Actually it was your story @Blossom that made me want to try it sometime :): - so I definitely remember it, you made it sound delicious.
Yes I shared this idea! But about using ANY solid fat. I use mutton fat a lot and with 3 eggs yolks! And I had started with both coconut oil and cocoa butter. But without the yolks, i did not digest it so easily because a lot of fat!

I have also read that a lot of fat is not good for the guts because of SIBO and leaky gut.... but some have SIBO from sugars, and then what do we eat?

I’m starting to think it might be the cause of my recent new onset of bowel inflammation and slight diarrhea so I’ve stopped as of today. That’s one way to lose weight I suppose but I’m not that desperate. I’ll post in a few days if these symptoms resolve by stopping the experiment.
Ho I thought it had resolved... keep updated... but have you used also the yolks?
Perhaps I can’t tolerate a lot of stearic acid or something else in cocoa butter? I seem fine with fat from beef, tallow and butter though.
I love my mutton and egg coffee... with added coconut or cocoa sometimes... It might be about working it upward... slowly enough...
Same with coconut. i don't use any refined oil, but the odorless one, just filtrated, and I like it better.

Xisca

Chronic administration of palmitoleic acid reduces insulin resistance and hepatic lipid accumulation in KK-Ay Mice with genetic type 2 diabetes
"Chronic administration of palmitoleic acid reduces insulin resistance and hepatic lipid accumulation in KK-Ay Mice with genetic type 2 diabetes"

Caffeine Promotes Conversion of Palmitic Acid to Palmitoleic Acid by Inducing Expression of fat-5 in Caenorhabditis elegans and scd1 in Mice

So this diet is rich in palmitic acid. Palmitic acid can be trasformed into palmitoleic acid by the scd1 enzyme. Scd1 is increased by insulin ( not sure) . Insulin also stops beta-oxidation and forces more palmitic acid to turn into palmitolenic acid. Starches increase insulin quite good.

If someone spots something wrong let me know.

Reducing insulin resistance? Good...

I just don't follow you cause to effect reasoning at all!
does it mean we need the coffee or should not take coffee with fat, or what?
You also say nothing about what is palmitoleic acid and if good or bad or what...

Xisca

This is a vexing question.

As far as I know, ROS is a by-product of oxidation metabolism. It is also used in killing pathogens, as during phagocytosis. I don't know what else ROS does.

Being a by-product of oxidative metabolism, it is a necessary evil. In this context, it's not good but this evil comes with the good - oxidative metabolism, which we need for energy. So it can be confused as a good thing, but only by association. It is really bad, and as such, has to be neutralized by our body's store of anti-oxidants such as glutathione, vitamin E, uric acid, albumin etc.

But as far as its use in killing pathogens, it is a good thing. Yet the bad is that ROS escapes into surrounding tissues, after killing pathogens, and it can destroy adjacent useful tissues. So it still needs to be quelled by anti-oxidants.

So, it confuses me when the link in the original post talks about saturated fats producing ROS and unsaturated fats not doing that. And in the way it's described, producing ROS is seen as a good thing. It doesn't explain why, and leaves the reader to accept the premise. It does not even bother to explain that statement, a sign of a poor writer, or a sign of intentional obfuscation.

I am glad you confirm that this is not that good!

Philomath

As an experiment, I’m trying to create a “high” stearic acid butter. I want it to look and feel like traditional milk butter.
Ingredients:
255 g Grass Fed Ghee
25g staeric acid (10%)
13g Kerrygold Grass Fed salted butter
1/8 tsp salt

Stirred often until thickened, then whipped with a stick blender. The process was not unlike making ice cream - whipping/stirring eliminated shards from forming.

Results: looks, feels and tastes VERY similar to butter. I will keep adding more Staeric acid to see what the limit is before it gets too hard, grainy or becomes a Ghee candle! D60F52BA-F236-4D47-BB6A-AF2226C441CF.jpeg

milkboi

As an experiment, I’m trying to create a “high” stearic acid butter. I want it to look and feel like traditional milk butter.
Ingredients:
255 g Grass Fed Ghee
25g staeric acid (10%)
13g Kerrygold Grass Fed salted butter
1/8 tsp salt

Stirred often until thickened, then whipped with a stick blender. The process was not unlike making ice cream - whipping/stirring eliminated shards from forming.

Results: looks, feels and tastes VERY similar to butter. I will keep adding more Staeric acid to see what the limit is before it gets too hard, grainy or becomes a Ghee candle! View attachment 16147

Nice man, looking forward to the results. Mashed potatoes are a staple in my diet, and it simply can't be made properly without butter, so a high stearic acid butter would be awesome.

success23

Reducing insulin resistance? Good...

I just don't follow you cause to effect reasoning at all!
does it mean we need the coffee or should not take coffee with fat, or what?
You also say nothing about what is palmitoleic acid and if good or bad or what...

It can be one of the mechanisms that it leads to fat loss.
Also try to use google its not that hard..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals