The Feasting Mimicking Diet

jay123

I remember the post about the Brad Marshall diet: Amazing "Croissant Diet" Experiment Results (Stearic Acid/Saturated Fat)
from @Julian. It appears that the author of the Croissant Diet had done an N=1 experiment that he calls "The Feasting Mimicking Diet" Do not get this confused with the Fasting Mimicking Diet. I guess it is his play on words. He has a summary post of the diet and also his results from it. I will attach the thread. But here is the basic summary of the diet which focuses on low PUFA and high saturated fat. And it comes in cycles with feasting on carbs(starchy ones). So here is the summary and followed by his links.

The Feasting Mimicking Diet as written by Brad Marshall:
  • A 48 hour cycle with a single feast meal followed by a day of foods that don’t stimulate insulin
  • The feast meal is high in starch and highly saturated long chain fats
  • The goal is to increase metabolic rate while fasting by supplying your cells with plentiful fuel.
The feasting mimicking diet is a culmination of my TCD(The Croissant Diet) experiment – a proven way to lose weight using starch and highly saturated fat using a “feast” meal alternating with periods of “fasting”. In my case this is a rapid weight loss diet that averages around 2500 calories per day – 3800 calories on feast days and 1200 calories on fast days, which in my case is a mild caloric deficit.

I’m a believer in the Calories-in, Calories-Out school of thought only in the sense that I believe in the physical concept of conservation of energy. You have to create a caloric imbalance to lose weight. The obvious thing to do here, eating less, comes with a fatal flaw: you’re body responds to caloric restriction by lowering your Resting Metabolic Rate. A five week 722 calorie per day diet in women was shown to1 reduce Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) by 23% after five weeks. But even fasting for 24 hours can reduce RMR by around 10%2.
Conversely, forced overfeeding can increase metabolic rate by at least 14%2. Yet there are surprisingly few rapid weight loss diets that ask you to begin by stuffing yourself with a highly palatable, very high energy density meal comprised of equal parts of fat and starch with protein until you literally can’t take another bite. For some reason, all diets want to focus on reducing calories in. This one focuses on maximizing calories out.

Let’s do the math – your metabolic rate in the feasted state could be (114% or 1.14 divided by 77% {100%-23%} or 0.77) 48% higher in the feasted versus the fasted state. Who wants to live in the fasted state?!

So the kernel of my idea is this: we trick our metabolism into thinking that we are feasting but then we in fact fast. It’s a bait and switch. We feast which revs our metabolic engine and then we just let it go on burning.

This is just a little bit about what he says. Here is the link to read about the idea for the diet: The Feasting Mimicking Diet - Fire In A Bottle

And here is the link of the results of his diet: Feasting Mimicking Diet Trial Results Part 1 - Fire In A Bottle

Jon2547

I bought some of Brad's stearic acid off of Amazon. Then I mixed it into some ghee on the stove and the end product is good.

OP
jay123

jay123

I bought some of Brad's stearic acid off of Amazon. Then I mixed it into some ghee on the stove and the end product is good.
Any thoughts on your health impact with it?

Jon2547

I can't say for sure. I was already on a very high saturated fat diet to begin with. I would say it made a smidgeon of a difference. In theory, it works out. Flooding the body with stearic acid will be beneficial and I plan to keep using it.

OP
jay123

jay123

I can't say for sure. I was already on a very high saturated fat diet to begin with. I would say it made a smidgeon of a difference. In theory, it works out. Flooding the body with stearic acid will be beneficial and I plan to keep using it.
Yeah. I have used cacao butter in my coffee or in hot cocao and I can notice a big difference in my alertness and energy levels. I have used butter and coconut oil for exclusively for cooking over the last almost 20 years. It satiates my hunger very easily and it definitely has shed weight from my mid section.

OP
jay123

jay123

The starch is the thing I question about this. I know Dr. Peat talks about persorption and using fat if you are eating starches. He does not seem to be a fan of starches which I guess we would not be eating starches if we did not process them (cooking or grinding and soaking them).

Jon2547

The starch is the thing I question about this. I know Dr. Peat talks about persorption and using fat if you are eating starches. He does not seem to be a fan of starches which I guess we would not be eating starches if we did not process them (cooking or grinding and soaking them).
I've run out of the cacao butter and need to get some more. I use a handheld blender to mix into coffee with sea salt. Good stuff

OP
jay123

jay123

I've run out of the cacao butter and need to get some more. I use a handheld blender to mix into coffee with sea salt. Good stuff
Yep. I use sea salt too! I have a Mr. Coffee Latte/Hot chocolate maker. It swirls everything together for smooth yummy goodness. I drop in the cacoa butter and it melts it while swirling and heating everthing.

Hans

Forum Supporter
It's a good theory, but refeeds, calorie cycling and diet breaks have been debunked. It still comes down to how many calories you take in and how much you burn over a week or month. Some "fancy" math is eye-catching, but it simply doesn't work that way. In some cases it might just be easier psychologically to overeat and then starve and then overeat and so on, but other than that, it doesn't actually boost the metabolism so that you can eat more over the period of 1 week or 1 month.

Nomane Euger

It's a good theory, but refeeds, calorie cycling and diet breaks have been debunked. It still comes down to how many calories you take in and how much you burn over a week or month. Some "fancy" math is eye-catching, but it simply doesn't work that way. In some cases it might just be easier psychologically to overeat and then starve and then overeat and so on, but other than that, it doesn't actually boost the metabolism so that you can eat more over the period of 1 week or 1 month.
Hi hans,do you know how many calories you can burn in an hour of intense walk at close to maximum speed

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi hans,do you know how many calories you can burn in an hour of intense walk at close to maximum speed
Don't know really. I think a normal walk for 60min burns about 300 calories, so at max speed maybe 400-500.

OP
jay123

jay123

Yeah. In my opinion the smartest thing he is doing is avoiding PUFA. The other things not so much.

I remember the post about the Brad Marshall diet: Amazing "Croissant Diet" Experiment Results (Stearic Acid/Saturated Fat)
from @Julian. It appears that the author of the Croissant Diet had done an N=1 experiment that he calls "The Feasting Mimicking Diet" Do not get this confused with the Fasting Mimicking Diet. I guess it is his play on words. He has a summary post of the diet and also his results from it. I will attach the thread. But here is the basic summary of the diet which focuses on low PUFA and high saturated fat. And it comes in cycles with feasting on carbs(starchy ones). So here is the summary and followed by his links.

The Feasting Mimicking Diet as written by Brad Marshall:
  • A 48 hour cycle with a single feast meal followed by a day of foods that don’t stimulate insulin
  • The feast meal is high in starch and highly saturated long chain fats
  • The goal is to increase metabolic rate while fasting by supplying your cells with plentiful fuel.
The feasting mimicking diet is a culmination of my TCD(The Croissant Diet) experiment – a proven way to lose weight using starch and highly saturated fat using a “feast” meal alternating with periods of “fasting”. In my case this is a rapid weight loss diet that averages around 2500 calories per day – 3800 calories on feast days and 1200 calories on fast days, which in my case is a mild caloric deficit.

I’m a believer in the Calories-in, Calories-Out school of thought only in the sense that I believe in the physical concept of conservation of energy. You have to create a caloric imbalance to lose weight. The obvious thing to do here, eating less, comes with a fatal flaw: you’re body responds to caloric restriction by lowering your Resting Metabolic Rate. A five week 722 calorie per day diet in women was shown to1 reduce Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) by 23% after five weeks. But even fasting for 24 hours can reduce RMR by around 10%2.
Conversely, forced overfeeding can increase metabolic rate by at least 14%2. Yet there are surprisingly few rapid weight loss diets that ask you to begin by stuffing yourself with a highly palatable, very high energy density meal comprised of equal parts of fat and starch with protein until you literally can’t take another bite. For some reason, all diets want to focus on reducing calories in. This one focuses on maximizing calories out.

Let’s do the math – your metabolic rate in the feasted state could be (114% or 1.14 divided by 77% {100%-23%} or 0.77) 48% higher in the feasted versus the fasted state. Who wants to live in the fasted state?!

So the kernel of my idea is this: we trick our metabolism into thinking that we are feasting but then we in fact fast. It’s a bait and switch. We feast which revs our metabolic engine and then we just let it go on burning.

This is just a little bit about what he says. Here is the link to read about the idea for the diet: The Feasting Mimicking Diet - Fire In A Bottle

And here is the link of the results of his diet: Feasting Mimicking Diet Trial Results Part 1 - Fire In A Bottle
I use to cycle in consecutive days of potato fasting and it worked wonders, with me shedding unwanted fat quickly, and I was never hungry. I would eat several pounds of plain roasted potatoes, red and yukon, which wasn't too "unPeaty", but as he said they should have been had with lots of butter, and can be constipating by themselves. Being that croissants are more butter than the flour, I think it is a brilliant switch and can see it having many benefits in giving the digestive system a rest and new ammo. Of course I could be just convincing myself I should eat a bunch of croissants, as I do adore them!

OP
jay123

jay123

I use to cycle in consecutive days of potato fasting and it worked wonders, with me shedding unwanted fat quickly, and I was never hungry. I would eat several pounds of plain roasted potatoes, red and yukon, which wasn't too "unPeaty", but as he said they should have been had with lots of butter, and can be constipating by themselves. Being that croissants are more butter than the flour, I think it is a brilliant switch and can see it having many benefits in giving the digestive system a rest and new ammo. Of course I could be just convincing myself I should eat a bunch of croissants, as I do adore them!
Nice! Yeah I have done cycling diets too. I became very lean and then some days I would eat upwards of 15000 calories. Yes that many calories. And I remained very lean. I would eat that way once a week and then halfway through the week I would eat like that for half of the day. The problem was I did not stay away from PUFAs. If I would choose to do it again I would not eat PUFA laden food.

Nice! Yeah I have done cycling diets too. I became very lean and then some days I would eat upwards of 15000 calories. Yes that many calories. And I remained very lean. I would eat that way once a week and then halfway through the week I would eat like that for half of the day. The problem was I did not stay away from PUFAs. If I would choose to do it again I would not eat PUFA laden food.
I hear ya! I use to do 3 days a week, every couple of weeks, the lemonade fast, with fresh lemon juice, maple syrup and cayenne. I liked mine with a little salt too. I really enjoyed the fast. It wasn't a bad deal either, but unlike the potato diet, I did lose muscle. I am a firm believer that mono-ish meals are much healthier than a complicated meal with many ingredients. I like a mono fast because there is no self debating about food, you just pull up your britches and do it. Are you gonna try the croissant thing?

OP
jay123

jay123

I hear ya! I use to do 3 days a week, every couple of weeks, the lemonade fast, with fresh lemon juice, maple syrup and cayenne. I liked mine with a little salt too. I really enjoyed the fast. It wasn't a bad deal either, but unlike the potato diet, I did lose muscle. I am a firm believer that mono-ish meals are much healthier than a complicated meal with many ingredients. I like a mono fast because there is no self debating about food, you just pull up your britches and do it. Are you gonna try the croissant thing?
I kinda do this already. Just not so much starch and with less fat. But my fat is mostly saturated. Been like that for years. I don't do big eating days very often too.

I kinda do this already. Just not so much starch and with less fat. But my fat is mostly saturated. Been like that for years. I don't do big eating days very often too.

Sounds like my "current diet", little starch with ONLY saturated fats for me, butter and oxtail fat mostly. I am thinking of pitting my occasional night splurge of buttered yeastless sourdough toast though against the croissant ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals