Amazing "Croissant Diet" Experiment Results (Stearic Acid/Saturated Fat)

jay123

Appreciate it.

I got sucked into reductionism multiple times. Each time eventually turned into a ideology for me.

It started young with bodybuilding and "protein grows muscles", "sugar makes you fat", etc.

It then moved into "plant based" and "raw", as somehow better than animal foods because some pretty shotty rationalizations and a piss poor physiology base (this lead to a surgery in highshcool that was highly unnecessary and lead to lasting digestive issues to this day).

Then it moved further into paleo, keto, and low carb, with the insulin hypothesis, and poor understandings of the mechanisms of cellular respiration.

It was further amplified with mTOR, longevity, hormesis, arguments involving intermittent fasting, caloric restriction, protein modified fasts, extreme exercise, cold exposure etc.

Then my ideology moved to the other side of the spectrum ideologically, while keeping the same general framework of reductionism and ideology, with my first attempts at implementing a so called "Peat diet" and all the lovely personal experiments that came with that.

And it finally peaked with me developing some serious digestive issues, that finally opened my eyes for the need to value my personal experience, actually dig deep into topics, and ultimately experiment with those topics to develop wisdom around them. A key ability I gained at this point was the perspective of the tentative nature of knowledge, and the ability to uncouple the idea of a knowledge from being a part of my ego/ identity.

The nice thing is, despite the damage I did along the way, I developed a large base of reference experiences, and solutions.

Even though I was entangled in ideologies for stretches of time, I wasn't ever so ideologically invested that I wouldn't break the rules if I felt like breaking the rules served my larger picture, which was my health. A lot of this rule breaking was unconscious instinct and intuition, rather than intellectual analysis. The intellectual analysis followed the instinctual action.

I was also consistently open to experimenting with things throughout the entire process, because an idea would hit me like an itch I couldn't scratch until I experimented with it.

Overall, while I classify where I was at in each phase as an ideology, I wasn't ever a zealot about anything. Things were more like experiments I had to test out, because I absolutely had to know what would happen, and I had to know if it would improve my health situation overall.

It just would have been helpful if I had a more cautious approach to start, as I messed myself up pretty bad a few times lol.
Thanks for that perspective. I have had similar experiments with different diets as you did. I fortunately did not have any crashes or digestive issues. Yep the ego is powerful.

Inaut

Appreciate it.

I got sucked into reductionism multiple times. Each time eventually turned into a ideology for me.

It started young with bodybuilding and "protein grows muscles", "sugar makes you fat", etc.

It then moved into "plant based" and "raw", as somehow better than animal foods because some pretty shotty rationalizations and a piss poor physiology base (this lead to a surgery in highshcool that was highly unnecessary and lead to lasting digestive issues to this day).

Then it moved further into paleo, keto, and low carb, with the insulin hypothesis, and poor understandings of the mechanisms of cellular respiration.

It was further amplified with mTOR, longevity, hormesis, arguments involving intermittent fasting, caloric restriction, protein modified fasts, extreme exercise, cold exposure etc.

Then my ideology moved to the other side of the spectrum ideologically, while keeping the same general framework of reductionism and ideology, with my first attempts at implementing a so called "Peat diet" and all the lovely personal experiments that came with that.

And it finally peaked with me developing some serious digestive issues, that finally opened my eyes for the need to value my personal experience, actually dig deep into topics, and ultimately experiment with those topics to develop wisdom around them. A key ability I gained at this point was the perspective of the tentative nature of knowledge, and the ability to uncouple the idea of a knowledge from being a part of my ego/ identity.

The nice thing is, despite the damage I did along the way, I developed a large base of reference experiences, and solutions.

Even though I was entangled in ideologies for stretches of time, I wasn't ever so ideologically invested that I wouldn't break the rules if I felt like breaking the rules served my larger picture, which was my health. A lot of this rule breaking was unconscious instinct and intuition, rather than intellectual analysis. The intellectual analysis followed the instinctual action.

I was also consistently open to experimenting with things throughout the entire process, because an idea would hit me like an itch I couldn't scratch until I experimented with it.

Overall, while I classify where I was at in each phase as an ideology, I wasn't ever a zealot about anything. Things were more like experiments I had to test out, because I absolutely had to know what would happen, and I had to know if it would improve my health situation overall.

It just would have been helpful if I had a more cautious approach to start, as I messed myself up pretty bad a few times lol.
Thanks for sharing @CLASH I think many of us here on the forum have gone through similar phases. You captured it so well ?

CLASH

Thanks for your post which is insightful.

Note that Nrf2 is not the only thing that link "detoxification" with water restriction / dehydration if I'm not mistaken. I think about the FXR and the LXR especially, which are also involved in gut health.

Brad is also talking about obesity being a state of torpor and I'm begining to wonder if water restriction wouldn't be the exit door he is looking for. Diuretic hormone (in small mamals at least), seems to end the state of torpor. For example, CFS could be a state of hypometabolism with low ADH.

The question is thus, why are diuretic hormones lowered (or malfunctioning) in such states, and is dry fasting able to correct the issue?

By the way @CLASH , I would be interested by your opinion on this publication : Water Structure, Osmolytes And Cancer

No problem, There were a few autocorrect spelling errors, hope it didn't impair the meaning I was trying to convey.

I will take a look at the publication a little bit later, I am currently researching topics around carnivore for my upcoming podcasts on the topic.

I'm not well versed in obesity in relation to anti-diuretic hormone, I will have to look into it.

What I personally think is more involved in obesity (again this is without looking at anti-diuretic hormone) is a cellular energy deficit due to increased endotoxin from a distorted microbiome and impaired gut barrier, with rampant micronutrient deficiencies, and excess metabolic substrate in the form of refined carbohydrate and polyunsaturated fats.

What winds up happening in this state, in my current understanding, is the cells ability to produce energy becomes impaired, particularly at the liver. This occurs via the endotoxin, the nutrient deficiencies, and toxic exposure to refined products and excess omega 6 PUFA particularly the peroxided form.

Since the liver and other portions of the body are unable to adequately oxidize the substrate that is now coming in due to these multitude of insults, it is shuttled into the fat tissue as a form of disposal. This is actually protective for the body overall. Without this disposal, the cells can begin to undergo apoptosis. When this occurs they are replaced with fibrotic tissue. This is actually what directly occurs in the transition from basic fatty liver to steatohepatitis and cirrhosis; the hepatocytes are at an energetic deficit so they store the substrate as fats inside the cell as a protective mechanism. If those fats are highly unsaturated the fats can exacerbate the oxidative stress and amplify the inflammation to progress the situation towards actual inflammation.

I mention fatty liver, not only because I have spent a lot of time recently researching it, but also because I think the pathology is very similar to obesity; they often present together.

With this said, I doubt water restriction would be the fix here. What I think is more necessary is to correct energy metabolism by restoring the nutrient deficiencies, removing toxic insult (PUFA, Endotoxin-> modulate microbiome), alleviating oxidative stress (polyphenols, antioxidants [nutrients again], and ultimately eliminating the backlogged substrate.

As far as the hormonal indicators go, they are often signaling molecules of the cellular state, in my understanding. For example, with endotoxemia the cells are indicating the assault on the body by producing TNF-Alpha, IL-6, Glucocorticoids etc, that coordinate the bodies response. Rather than see the signaling molecules as the direct problem, I'd rather address why the cell is signaling those molecules. In this case its energetic issues from the endotoxin.

With this said, these signaling molecules can often make things worse. For example glucocorticoids can directly induce obesity and fatty liver, and blocking them can be therapeutic. However, I think a true "cure" is eliminating the need for the signal in general, with dampening that signal in the meantime possibly being helpful.

CLASH

Thanks for that perspective. I have had similar experiments with different diets as you did. I fortunately did not have any crashes or digestive issues. Yep the ego is powerful.

No worries. I think there is a relatively similar progression through many of these dietary approaches that people go through.

Thats great, I'm happy you came out unscathed, a lot of people in my experience can really mess themselves up with this stuff.

Agreed. I think this is especially the case when the cortex hasn't fully developed under the age of 25 or so.

Thanks for sharing @CLASH I think many of us here on the forum have gone through similar phases. You captured it so well ?

Glad we can all share our similar experiences in one place. Appreciate it.

LLight

No problem, There were a few autocorrect spelling errors, hope it didn't impair the meaning I was trying to convey.

I will take a look at the publication a little bit later, I am currently researching topics around carnivore for my upcoming podcasts on the topic.

I'm not well versed in obesity in relation to anti-diuretic hormone, I will have to look into it.

What I personally think is more involved in obesity (again this is without looking at anti-diuretic hormone) is a cellular energy deficit due to increased endotoxin from a distorted microbiome and impaired gut barrier, with rampant micronutrient deficiencies, and excess metabolic substrate in the form of refined carbohydrate and polyunsaturated fats.

What winds up happening in this state, in my current understanding, is the cells ability to produce energy becomes impaired, particularly at the liver. This occurs via the endotoxin, the nutrient deficiencies, and toxic exposure to refined products and excess omega 6 PUFA particularly the peroxided form.

Since the liver and other portions of the body are unable to adequately oxidize the substrate that is now coming in due to these multitude of insults, it is shuttled into the fat tissue as a form of disposal. This is actually protective for the body overall. Without this disposal, the cells can begin to undergo apoptosis. When this occurs they are replaced with fibrotic tissue. This is actually what directly occurs in the transition from basic fatty liver to steatohepatitis and cirrhosis; the hepatocytes are at an energetic deficit so they store the substrate as fats inside the cell as a protective mechanism. If those fats are highly unsaturated the fats can exacerbate the oxidative stress and amplify the inflammation to progress the situation towards actual inflammation.

I mention fatty liver, not only because I have spent a lot of time recently researching it, but also because I think the pathology is very similar to obesity; they often present together.

With this said, I doubt water restriction would be the fix here. What I think is more necessary is to correct energy metabolism by restoring the nutrient deficiencies, removing toxic insult (PUFA, Endotoxin-> modulate microbiome), alleviating oxidative stress (polyphenols, antioxidants [nutrients again], and ultimately eliminating the backlogged substrate.

As far as the hormonal indicators go, they are often signaling molecules of the cellular state, in my understanding. For example, with endotoxemia the cells are indicating the assault on the body by producing TNF-Alpha, IL-6, Glucocorticoids etc, that coordinate the bodies response. Rather than see the signaling molecules as the direct problem, I'd rather address why the cell is signaling those molecules. In this case its energetic issues from the endotoxin.

With this said, these signaling molecules can often make things worse. For example glucocorticoids can directly induce obesity and fatty liver, and blocking them can be therapeutic. However, I think a true "cure" is eliminating the need for the signal in general, with dampening that signal in the meantime possibly being helpful.
Thanks again for your ideas ?

I subscribe to a lot of what you say, especially digestion, PUFA and energy deficiency.

Regarding dry fasting (I hate to look like I do proselytism even if it's what it is lol):
- there are some publications pointing to the fact that Ramadan could reduce IL-6 (by a factor of 2 IIRC).
- 2 publications seemed to show how Ramadan could increase gastric acid pH and digestive enzyme. These are not controlled so it's hard to conclude.
- there could be some relation between diuretic hormones (and glucagon also I believe) and bile production. Interestingly, the bile acid receptor FXR (which is linked with gut antimicrobial peptides production and liver regeneration) is hypothesized to be sensitive to hyperosmolarity (which could happen when water is restricted).
- I have seen some testimonies of people improving their digestion with help of dry fasting (including 2 or 3 on this forum) and even some cases of what seems like "acute detoxification".

Here is an excerpt:

Heres my story.

I developed a pain i estimated around my pancreas and waited a couple weeks before going to ER and they ran an ultra sound. Didnt see anything, all other tests came back normal. I told them I was convinced it was pancreatic cancer. They said, usually peoples skin turns yellow with that. So being non-yellow but still in pain, went home disappointed.

Still in pain, I came across dry fasting and how animals fast when they are injured.

I dry fasted for two days.

On the third day I took a poo. It was a black log. Not like old blood cells but like witch hat black but still in good looking poo form.

Pain disappeared.

Thats my dry fast story. Havent done it since but I think I will try it again soon to see what other benefits I can get.

7 th day: more bloody phlegm coughed up first thing this am, mouth still tasting like old cigarettes. My breathing is extremely less labored. 2 runny bowel movements since waking at 7am, almost 10am now. 2nd movement was super dark brown-blackish instead of the yellow-brownish it has been, and was extremely greasy, like old fryer grease in the bowl. Seeing it made me even more confident in a very deep clean happening inside my body. I did end up taking a cold-ish shower yesterday to help cleanse my pores and encourage more efficient detoxing through my skin. It felt good, but not like the two-hour long hot shower that I’m looking forward to when I finally break fast. I also did 2 rounds of 60 jumping jacks, 2 sets of 10 squats, and 1 set of 20 curls. Just enough to get the blood moving and dig into my fat stores, but not enough to really tax myself. 3rd movement at around noon, absolute greasy floating mess, dark brown again, very little sedimentary bits as well.

Possibly TMI....so skip this bit if you want. I had the urge to poo this afternoon for the first time since Monday. I had a really hard time of it because I seemed to be really constipated. When I finally passed it I was shocked to see the biggest, nastiest thing in the toilet. It was like a hate turd. The essence of evil sitting in the toilet. I guess it was everything that had been built up in my body for months (or more) that never had a chance to be passed. It even smelled strange, putrid, very unfamiliar to me. I felt really really light and empty and clean after that, so it was worth the 20 min struggle on the toilet! End gross stuff... [...] My psoriasis hasn’t cleared, but my scalp is MUCH less red and hot and inflamed, so maybe the healing will continue to take place as I refeed and rehydrate. I lost a ton of fat and can see my abs for the first time ever. I had some floaters in my left eye that seem to have disappeared!

Only dry fasting fixes my heartburn, acid reflux and ulcer.
Title says it all. Dry fasting, even for short periods of time heals my awful gut issues.

Who else has had success this way?

Not a stupid question!! but I 100% believe candida isn't a 'just kill the candida' solution as your body and all its organs are completely ill and poorly functioning. I also believe that low stomach acid is one of the key elements to fixing this puzzle. I used to struggle with stomach acid but after a few dry fasts I feel like my functioning is so so so much better. Thanks for the heads up!! will do some more reading into it.

I usually fast for 48 hours at a time. The results im seeing are 1~ so much easier physically and mentally than water fasting, feels more natural to just let my body take care of the fat to make energy and water. 2~ I feel like a completely different person, like all my cells were reborn, my thinking is sharp, my sprints are quicker, My mood has improved by the week it seems. I heal much quicker now. Teeming with energy! 3~ Ive been chubby my whole life (like 35 pounds over weight) and pretty much fixed that in one month. My tastes have also changed. I use to go for heavy carbs and sugar but those choices don’t sound good to me anymore. 4~ Ive learned to just think for myself and just try what I think makes sense, no more scrolling for answers endlessly. Im honestly shocked at my life in the last month alone. I feel like Ive found the holy grail for what works for me.

my hemorrhoids were gone and never returned after a 5 day soft dry fast

Tried the 36 hour dehydration you mention on another post about 10 days later. This was challenging to complete. I did have a few tiny sips of water during that day, but mainly abstained even though I was thirsty all day. Over the next week my digestion reset itself and cleared up intestinal pain I didn’t realize was a problem until it was gone. Skin texture is smoother. Inflammation in my joints gone. Gums sealed to my teeth better than a dental cleaning.

I do OMAD with at least 16 to 20hrs of dry fasting every night. I also dry fast like that if I'm just fasting too.

Besides losing weight, my depression is gone, acid reflux is gone, skin tags disappearing, I sleep better, although not as long and I have no trouble getting out of bed in the morning. It's sustainable. Years ago when I was young and the correct weight, I only ate once a day. It's all I felt like eating. If a special event was coming up that involved eating I'd fast before or after it. You'll start seeing results right off.

Plus a ton of testimonies of people improving their skin issues or other disorders like joint pain or depression.

Lollipop2

Appreciate it.

You seem too young to have gone through that many “food fads” lol.

CLASH

You seem too young to have gone through that many “food fads” lol.
Started at 14 with the bodybuilding stuff and progressed through all the fads to where I am now at 26. So about 12 years of dietary manipulation under my belt ?

I found out about pubmed at around 18 or so, that changed the game for me.

CLASH

Thanks again for your ideas ?

I subscribe to a lot of what you say, especially digestion, PUFA and energy deficiency.

Regarding dry fasting (I hate to look like I do proselytism even if it's what it is lol):
- there are some publications pointing to the fact that Ramadan could reduce IL-6 (by a factor of 2 IIRC).
- 2 publications seemed to show how Ramadan could increase gastric acid pH and digestive enzyme. These are not controlled so it's hard to conclude.
- there could be some relation between diuretic hormones (and glucagon also I believe) and bile production. Interestingly, the bile acid receptor FXR (which is linked with gut antimicrobial peptides production and liver regeneration) is hypothesized to be sensitive to hyperosmolarity (which could happen when water is restricted).
- I have seen some testimonies of people improving their digestion with help of dry fasting (including 2 or 3 on this forum) and even some cases of what seems like "acute detoxification".

Here is an excerpt:

Plus a ton of testimonies of people improving their skin issues or other disorders like joint pain or depression.

No probelm!

I dont think your proselytizing.

There are definetly benefits to fasting. I just wonder if the benefits are more from stopping the leakage of endotoxin into the system, and allowing the liver to clear to some extent.

With the Ramadan fasting period, is the fast itself the cause of IL-6 dropping or is the lack of gut derived inflammatory compounds due to a lack of food.

Isn't FXR also stimulated by Bile release and subsequent exposure to the small intestine?

What I'm getting from the testimonials is that the individuals most likely cleared out the liver, hence the very dark, black, greasy stools. It sounds like they defecated bile.

Considering that the liver is the major fulcrum of nutrient/ toxic entrance and processing by the body, it would make sense that clearing the liver could provide massive benefits.

The question is, is fasting required to do this?

LLight

There are definetly benefits to fasting. I just wonder if the benefits are more from stopping the leakage of endotoxin into the system, and allowing the liver to clear to some extent.

With the Ramadan fasting period, is the fast itself the cause of IL-6 dropping or is the lack of gut derived inflammatory compounds due to a lack of food
Indeed, that's a good question, I think some can eat less, but some can still gain some weight during Ramadan. I have looked at the publication and they tended to loose weight so there is some bias (even if loosing weight is not so easy for every body and is a good outcome in itself).

Isn't FXR also stimulated by Bile release and subsequent exposure to the small intestine?
Yes it is. There are multiple agonists.

No idea in what extent, I have seen two people improving their digestion with juste limited water and without fasting so it's not necessary.

OccamzRazer

What I'm getting from the testimonials is that the individuals most likely cleared out the liver, hence the very dark, black, greasy stools. It sounds like they defecated bile.

Considering that the liver is the major fulcrum of nutrient/ toxic entrance and processing by the body, it would make sense that clearing the liver could provide massive benefits.

2-3 days of bone broth fasting can do lead to bile clearance (at least for me). So can colonic hydrotherapy. Combining the two might be even better.

OccamzRazer

Indeed, that's a good question, I think some can eat less, but some can still gain some weight during Ramadan. I have looked at the publication and they tended to loose weight so there is some bias (even if loosing weight is not so easy for every body and is a good outcome in itself).

Yes it is. There are multiple agonists.

No idea in what extent, I have seen two people improving their digestion with juste limited water and without fasting so it's not necessary.
How is water fasting done in practice? How do you personally do it?

Lollipop2

Started at 14 with the bodybuilding stuff and progressed through all the fads to where I am now at 26. So about 12 years of dietary manipulation under my belt ?

I found out about pubmed at around 18 or so, that changed the game for me.
Nice. You have set yourself up for a great life ahead. Good for you.

rei

how mate? what about whole milk, 100% grass fed, A2? its got some good fats in it, fats unique to dairy/milk which apparently cause fat loss? doesnt milk have lots of omega 7 or something too, which there's supplements for? i think its a MUFA or something?
yeah mate looked it up, omega 7, like vassenic acid, palmitoleic acid... thoughts on those fats? some sites say theyre healthy trans fats some say theyre unsaturated. but seems its the healthy unsaturated like MUFA... and milk has more omega 7 depending on how much the cows are grass fed
milk is certainly good especially whole milk, but it is too palatable to easily lose weight if you use it in large amounts. I could easily drink 2 liters daily but i need to consciously maintain it at 1 to not gain weight.

Dr. B

milk is certainly good especially whole milk, but it is too palatable to easily lose weight if you use it in large amounts. I could easily drink 2 liters daily but i need to consciously maintain it at 1 to not gain weight.
cant you cut fats and calories other places

rei

if you are skilled enough almost anything is possible, but protein from ruminant meat + the fats in it and cocoa butter you simply cannot overeat on. Maybe high stearic fatty cuts of beef like 20% ground beef with milk would be even healthier in the long run, but it takes more discipline to achieve same result.

Dr. B

if you are skilled enough almost anything is possible, but protein from ruminant meat + the fats in it and cocoa butter you simply cannot overeat on. Maybe high stearic fatty cuts of beef like 20% ground beef with milk would be even healthier in the long run, but it takes more discipline to achieve same result.
so even 100g+ fats from ruminant meat, cocoa butter you dont gain fat?
and is it chocolate or plain cocoa butter to cook the meat in...
what about beeswax mate

Dutchie

Came across this video:
View: https://youtu.be/5X9jd9eOFLA

The author said that mct oil made her gain weight,her reasoning sounded logical.
It made me think of TCD,where coconut oil is kind of a grey area bc it's highly saturated but mostly mct's and low SA.
One thing I notice is, despite the supposed fat burning capabillities, that I don't lose fat/get leaner from using coconut oil.

I'm curious are there people here who found they gained fat from CO as opposed to other fats?

Last edited:

OccamzRazer

Came across this video:

The author said that mct oil made her gain weight,her reasoning sounded logical.
It made me think of TCD,where coconut oil is kind of a grey area bc it's highly saturated but mostly mct's and low SA.
One thing I notice is, despite the supposed fat burning capabillities, that I don't lose fat/get leaner from using coconut oil.

I'm curious are there people here who found they gained fat from CO as opposed to other fats?
Interesting. I lose fat from both coconut oil and stearic acid, but only the stearic acid seems to lead to noticeably leaner lower abs.

Dr. B

Interesting. I lose fat from both coconut oil and stearic acid, but only the stearic acid seems to lead to noticeably leaner lower abs.
where do you get stearic acid from mate?

btw why is there a scandal with magnesium stearate? apparently causes tons of side effects, serious problems... does magnesium stearate have some issues that stearic acid doesnt

Dr. B

Came across this video:

whats TCD?
why would mct cause weight gain.
ive heard coconut oil safely burns, and quickly burns instead of being stored

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals