Sterculia oil, SCD1 and inflammation

erho

To my surprise I didnt find a post on this so I figured I'd make one, because I want to know your opinions.

So many of us know Brad Marshall for his Croissant diet, a diet high in stearic acid. Recently he has been researching and writing a lot about the role of the enzyme SCD1 which regulates conversion of saturated fat into unsaturated fat in fat cells (link to get the full gist: The SCD1 Theory of Obesity, Part 1 - Insulin, Leptin, SCD1 and Thermogenesis - Fire In A Bottle ). He argues that since PUFA/Linoleic acid promote/induce torpor when stored as body fat, which Haidut posted a study on in March, the way to reduce the amount of unsaturated fat in fat tissue can be achieved by inhibiting the enzyme SCD1. So by reducing the amount of oleic acid in fat tissue and simultaneously increasing stearic acid he would create a profile more conducive to health and leanness. Much of these ideas are based on rodent studies showing an inability for mice to gain body fat when lacking SCD1.

What's interesting is he has been experimenting with Sterculia oil, a natural SCD1 inhibitor, and the effects have been quite remarkable from a Peat perspective. In his blog posts he displays the results of his experiment, except for reducing his fat distribution of oleic acid content and increasing the stearic acid content, he had noticed an increase in body temperature by a large amount after just a few days from inception. What's strange is at the same time his inflammation markers went up. From what I understand uncoupling proteins play in here somewhere somehow, and he does talk about brown fat if I'm not mistaken.

What do you all think about this?
What could be causing the increase in temperature and inflammation?
What do you all know about sterculia oil? I know Haidut mentioned it in a post about SCD1 long ago, but not much more was said about it.
Should we perhaps try to downregulate SCD1, if perhaps by other means?

This piqued my interest, especially since I remain overweight with repeated struggles reducing weight despite following Peat-principles for 4 years.

Please note if I made any mistakes in the explanation or just completely misinterpreted any of Brad's post, I'm no biochemist. Also let me know if this is in the wrong forum, and please move it to the correct one if that's the case.

Mauritio

Thanks for posting this!

I think you can uncouple too much. If you increase metabolism beyond a certain point( where you run out of glycogen) this can start a cytokine reaction aka inflammation . Peat recently talked about it .

Also if you're fat stores are mainly unsaturated, too much pufa can hit your blood at once, which is also inflammatory.

This study on it is interesting . It seems to help carb metabolization.

Results: SO did not alter body weight or body composition. Importantly, the desaturase indices, a proxy for the activity of SCD1, were reduced in the liver and adipose tissue of SO supplemented animals. This reduction in SCD1 activity was associated with a reduction in fasting blood glucose concentrations and improved glucose tolerance. In addition, SO reduced intra-abdominal fat mass and adipocyte size and resulted in a ∼3-fold increase in GLUT1 gene expression in intra-abdominal fat. Liver triglyceride content and lipogenic gene expression were reduced by SO. Consistent with an improved metabolic phenotype, SO also improved plasma cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, and triglyceride concentrations.

Mauritio

Mauritio

From wikipedia:
"A decrease in MUFA content of the membrane phospholipids in the SCD-1−/− mice is offset by an increase in polyunsaturated fatty acids, effectively increasing membrane fluidity due to the introduction of more double bonds in the fatty acyl chain.[30]"

I haven't found the exact passage into study yet, but if that's true, thats pretty bad . I have recently posted a thread on membrane unsaturation and even a small increase in membrane PUFA has dramatic consequences on lipid peroxidation, whereas MUFA is pretty benign in that regard . So switching out mufa with pufa might not be a good idea .
Just my 2cents. Haven't read much on it.

dabdabdab

Thanks Mauritio
From wikipedia:
"A decrease in MUFA content of the membrane phospholipids in the SCD-1−/− mice is offset by an increase in polyunsaturated fatty acids, effectively increasing membrane fluidity due to the introduction of more double bonds in the fatty acyl chain.[30]"

I haven't found the exact passage into study yet, but if that's true, thats pretty bad . I have recently posted a thread on membrane unsaturation and even a small increase in membrane PUFA has dramatic consequences on lipid peroxidation, whereas MUFA is pretty benign in that regard . So switching out mufa with pufa might not be a good idea .
Just my 2cents. Haven't read much on it.
wow, thanks for your dedication. I was on the verge of trying it. but you saved me.

Mauritio

Thanks Mauritio

wow, thanks for your dedication. I was on the verge of trying it. but you saved me.
No problem, but I wouldn't soley rely on my opinion. I haven't read much on it and I haven't even found the paragraph they're talking about .

Maybe there's more in vivo data ,especially human data would be relevant as interspecific comparisons are difficult, because different species incorporate different fatty acids in different ways and different places .

Mauritio

Thanks Mauritio

On the other it wouldn't have all these benefits of it really increased PUFA membrane content significantly. It might be worth a try .

tankasnowgod

I just got some of this.

First off, the bottle is huge. Well, it's 4 oz, which is much bigger than I have seen anything else ship in, personally.

I tried some of the oil today, and it has a very mild flavor, with a bit of nuttiness to it (which makes sense). Almost like Tocovit, the new mild formula.

tankasnowgod

Thanks Mauritio

Of note, if that does happen, it's in mice that produce no SCD1. I doubt an inhibitor like Sterculia Oil can drop SCD1 expression to zero, and certainly not for the rest of your life.

aliml

Dihydro-Sterculic acid from Cottonseed oil, like Sterculic acid from Sterculia oil,, suppresses SCD1 activity!
Both dihydrosterculic acid and sterculic acid are cyclopropene fatty acids (CFAs). Therefore, other foods containing CFAs may also inhibit SCD1.
1659157069406.png

Ten healthy subjects with optimal body weight followed a CFA-controlled diet for a period of three weeks. The sources of CFAs were 50 g/day of Grana Padano cheese and 250 mL/day of whole cow milk. This composition corresponded to a total of 22.1 mg/day of CFAs. During and after the intervention, the plasma FAs composition was monitored. The main congener in this study was dihydrosterculic acid. Dietary intervention resulted in a significantly higher plasma concentration of CFAs after the treatment.

Motorneuron

Dihydro-Sterculic acid from Cottonseed oil, like Sterculic acid from Sterculia oil,, suppresses SCD1 activity!
Both dihydrosterculic acid and sterculic acid are cyclopropene fatty acids (CFAs). Therefore, other foods containing CFAs may also inhibit SCD1.
View attachment 39689
Ten healthy subjects with optimal body weight followed a CFA-controlled diet for a period of three weeks. The sources of CFAs were 50 g/day of Grana Padano cheese and 250 mL/day of whole cow milk. This composition corresponded to a total of 22.1 mg/day of CFAs. During and after the intervention, the plasma FAs composition was monitored. The main congener in this study was dihydrosterculic acid. Dietary intervention resulted in a significantly higher plasma concentration of CFAs after the treatment.
So let's say foods that Peat suggests

tankasnowgod

The high content of linoleic acid (over 50%) would basically nullify any effect on SCD1 activity. Although it might be a decent source for an extract.

In contrast, the Sterculia Oil is about 64% Sterculic Acid, and has a 10:1 ratio against linoleic acid.
View attachment 39689
Interesting. So, outside of Eel (and sterculia nuts), dairy fat like butter, cream and cheese is probably the richest source of these CFAs in the diet. Along with the high Stearic and Saturated Fat content, it seems like dairy (and especially dairy fat) is a great food for trying to escape torpor.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals