Belly fat dissapearing after i started eating croissants

imei3489

my belly fat has never, ever, been affected by anything i have eaten. its always been about calories in, calories out, no matter what. that was until, i started eating one croissant a day. ive been eating them at cafes and from the grocery store, so i assume they are filled with seed oils. theyre called "butter croissants" at my local grocery store, though i doubt that has any truth to it. but yeah my belly fat is going right away. i started spreading a thick layer of butter on them, because yummy. which would normally make me gain fat, because of the calories, but it doesnt seem to have any effect. i once read an article about some dude who went on a croissant only diet to loose weight with great results, but i cant remember what he claimed was the cause for this-
also worth noting is that they seem to stabilize my blood sugar.
just another interesting anecdote

Inaut

my belly fat has never, ever, been affected by anything i have eaten. its always been about calories in, calories out, no matter what. that was until, i started eating one croissant a day. ive been eating them at cafes and from the grocery store, so i assume they are filled with seed oils. theyre called "butter croissants" at my local grocery store, though i doubt that has any truth to it. but yeah my belly fat is going right away. i started spreading a thick layer of butter on them, because yummy. which would normally make me gain fat, because of the calories, but it doesnt seem to have any effect. i once read an article about some dude who went on a croissant only diet to loose weight with great results, but i cant remember what he claimed was the cause for this-
Literally what I’ve been doing for the last month and have noticed physical benefits. Croissants and milk, orange juice, fruits and red meat a couple times a week is all need.

I toast mine with butter and cheese or marmalade (depending if I want savoury or sweet). It’s so satisfying, filling yet very light and digestible. Soooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooood

tankasnowgod

Literally what I’ve been doing for the last month and have noticed physical benefits. Croissants and milk, orange juice, fruits and red meat a couple times a week is all need.

I toast mine with butter and cheese or marmalade (depending if I want savoury or sweet). It’s so satisfying, filling yet very light and digestible. Soooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooood

Are either of you buying croissants without added iron? If you know of a brand in the US that is made with real butter and without added iron, that would be great to know.

FWIW, Trader Joe's has a lot of wheat products (including pasta and pizza, many imported) that don't have any added iron.

OliviaD

WOW - you have made my day.. my week, perhaps my year!! I LOVE croissants and have been avoiding them b/c of the dreaded PUFAS and I am not going to be making homemade ones any time soon :). I am going to the store in the AM. It sounds like you are eating different kinds; and yes, these days; I don't think anyone uses real butter, unless you come across a rare bakery that does.

I am assuming that you are countering the PUFA by slathering on the butter. I am 5/5" tall and thin - 97 lbs, and I have always eaten lots of carbs with lots of butter. I don't have a problem with gluten (that I know of). In addition to protecting us from the PUFA, I've also read a theory that all the butter might also be helping in mitigating some of the negative effects people suggest that starches and/or wheat can cause. I don't know.

It is interesting that while I have not gained weight , in fact I've lost a little.. in the past several years; it seems that I have more fat in my abdominal area. I know doubt have lost muscle mass; as I used to exercise a lot and now I am near vegetative, so perhaps I need to do something about that :) However, there does seem to be more going on that is causing this change in distribution , or increased fat deposition. So, heck, I'm going to try the croissants. Of course, many women I know complain of this issue during or after menopause. It is frustrating b/c I don't really want to lose weight overall, but I would like to lose this belly fat. I have jeans and some other pants I can't wear anymore because they are too tight in the waist. I know.. 1st world problems. I'm know I need to exercise. But, I'm sure going to try your croissant diet. At least I'll enjoy myself if it doesn't help my belly. Keep us posted!!

Inaut

Are either of you buying croissants without added iron? If you know of a brand in the US that is made with real butter and without added iron, that would be great to know.

FWIW, Trader Joe's has a lot of wheat products (including pasta and pizza, many imported) that don't have any added iron.
I’m assuming all wheat/bread products in Canada are fortified...I buy my croissants from Costco and although they are labeled as “all butter”, they use some canola oil as well (less than ideal). I figure by adding more butter and limiting my intake to two a day, it’s ok for me. Again, I wish I could find real butter croissants but I could be doing much worse and probably wouldn’t be able to afford such a luxury..

Ynot

I came to peat from doing The Croissant Diet and do think there is merit to it (TCD). I even started a website for it (but haven't updated it for ages as Peating isn't really shifting the weight for me :( ) - easytcd.com When I was doing a more croissant diet approach I feel that my belly was getting more lean...

Sefton10

I’m assuming all wheat/bread products in Canada are fortified...I buy my croissants from Costco and although they are labeled as “all butter”, they use some canola oil as well (less than ideal). I figure by adding more butter and limiting my intake to two a day, it’s ok for me. Again, I wish I could find real butter croissants but I could be doing much worse and probably wouldn’t be able to afford such a luxury..
I think the key is the stearic acid with starch. Cocoa butter is a great source and is easy to get organic, including in bulk. Goes great with things like oats, lentils and rice which can also be bought organic and in bulk. Can be a very cheap way of eating.

Inaut

I think the key is the stearic acid with starch. Cocoa butter is a great source and is easy to get organic, including in bulk. Goes great with things like oats, lentils and rice which can also be bought organic and in bulk. Can be a very cheap way of eating.
I definitely agree with regards to stearic acid. I eat a lot of chocolate and cocoa butter so that’s probably helping me slim down as wel.

Elie

Forum Supporter
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
I have tried it for a bit (probably 2-3 a day as per Fire in a Bottle guy) and gained weight.
I am nearing 50 and for the past 10 years it has been a steady climb (20lb.) even though my health has improved.
Stress / age belly pattern.

tankasnowgod

Store bought croissant probably have TRANS hydrogenated fats.

1. If they did, it would have to be listed on the label.
2. They don't hydrogenate many oils anymore, since hydrogenation is so demonized.
3. Trans Fats probably aren't bad, in and of themselves, IMO. The reason they were demonized in the first place is because they basically acted like saturated fats. All the experiments that showed they were "bad" necessarily used oils that contained higher amounts of PUFA. I think they were a surrogate marker for higher PUFA intakes in any experiment from the 70s thru the early 2000s. Still, opting for the more saturated fats (like Fred Kummerow did) is probably the best angle. But personally, I use Hydrogenated Coconut Oil and would prefer trans fats to PUFA, even though both will be small.

This Khan Academy video gives a nice overview of the structure, and you can even see that Trans Fats basically look like Saturated Fats.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9lL2KStW9s

tankasnowgod

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
I have tried it for a bit (probably 2-3 a day as per Fire in a Bottle guy) and gained weight.
I am nearing 50 and for the past 10 years it has been a steady climb (20lb.) even though my health has improved.
Stress / age belly pattern.

Dave Fit (who I believe is member @Dave_Fit) on Youtube has some nice videos going over his success, and some of the pitfalls. I tried a modified version of it before, and didn't see any results, but looking back, I notice some of the issues Dave mentions.

Here's what he ate when he was losing weight (I would skip the fish oil, and think he even dropped it soon after)-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijqFMLytnWI

I think some men may need strategies to lower cortisol and/or boost testosterone in addition to diet, as the testosterone to cortisol ratio is out of balance in most overweight and obese men (something known since at least the 90s). In studies, TRT seems to have both dramatic and long term effects in helping men to lose weight-

I think that my newest idea of the importance of blood sugar and hypoglycemia may provide a partial answer. Avoiding episodes of hypoglycemia can keep cortisol levels low and that must make a huge difference. It is for me.

Croissants are hard to make at home but I've made countless brioches at home and the ingredients are the same. Tempted to try this at home with brioche.

DDRB

A guy is known to have lost weight on a diet of twinkies
What should I conclude from this?

One possibility is that you are mentally ill and orthorexic, and that the decision to eat croissants is consistent with a situation where you are less worried about your lifestyle, your stress should be lower in this situation.

tankasnowgod

A guy is known to have lost weight on a diet of twinkies
What should I conclude from this?
That you need to do more research, duh.

If you actually bothered to look into the concept, it's in line with Peat's general ideas....... eat a diet high in carbs, and long chain saturated fats, which should help displace accumulated PUFAs, according the study that Brad Marshall originally based the diet on, and which has been discussed on the forum before.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals