Amazing "Croissant Diet" Experiment Results (Stearic Acid/Saturated Fat)

tankasnowgod

Metabolites produced from fiber includes some important fatty acids including stearic acid. With gut issues the microbiome will become imbalanced and metabolites production will be affected.

Multi-omics Analysis of Gut Microbiota and Metabolites in Rats With Irritable Bowel Syndrome
One of the few metabolites that is lower in rats with IBS is stearic acid.

So for people with gut issues, adding stearic acid might compensate the metabolites that are produced by the gut and signals the body that everything is okay so you start losing abdominal fat.

Haidut posted a study on his blog about LCSFA protecting the liver, and one of the mechanisms that was identified was an improvement of the gut biome, along with strengthening the gut barrier.

Supplementation with (long chain) saturated fats protects liver from alcohol – To Extract Knowledge from Matter

somuch4food

I'm rather enjoying the extra heat I get with the addition of more dairy fat and tallow in the dead of winter.

I've also had a bad experience with white chocolate but it seems to be dose related. It was also taken in isolation which could make it less digestable. A few bites here and there seems to help though.

I'm not as cold sensitive as I was before. I can go outside for a few minutes in freezing cold without a coat and feel comfortable, whereas before I was dreading it.

KTownSatfats

I’m also dosing myself with small bits of white chocolate here and there. Seems to be fine if I don’t overdo it. Also eating some grass fed beef sausage on croissant every day, sometimes with cheese, often butter. I put some of the leftover tallow on the croissant. It’s yummy and more fat than I’ve ever consumed in a sitting. Last time I checked I hadn’t lost any weight, but I’m feeling better about my body. It feels somehow sturdier in a way. The belly seems to protrude less and the overall feeling and look is much more youthful. It seems like my body composition is changing and that is what I’ve needed.

I worry that I’m fooling myself, but all I can say is I don’t hate looking in the mirror any more!

KTownSatfats

Also, I am still drinking my habitual oj and not as much sugar as before due to lessened appetite, but definitely some. So not a low carb diet. Doesn’t seem to be necessary.

Vinny

It looks like the white choc messes me up. When the cacao butter arrived, won't take it. Will try only the st acid. Generally, going back to Low Fat for some time, and see what's going on there ....

Broken man

I would like to know how the experiment is going for the members od forum which are using stearic acid...... I got it today, planning to use 5 g for start on my toasts.

tankasnowgod

I would like to know how the experiment is going for the members od forum which are using stearic acid...... I got it today, planning to use 5 g for start on my toasts.

Been going great for me, I've been adding a tablespoon of stearic acid to my breakfast and dinner (both cooked meals where it melts in). I have noticed some increases in body temp, better mood, and more energy. I did this for about 5 days before going on Christmas Vacation, paused, then restarted this last Saturday. I feel the "official" start of the diet is pretty much today for me, as other meals (and maybe a bit too much alcohol) weren't totally in line with SFA/UFA ratio. I always do "Dry January," so for at least a month, I will be doing this diet with no alcohol.

tankasnowgod

So, I've been thinking about a few things with this whole idea.... First, some have looked for the (single) mechanism of action. Reading through stearic and palmitic acid threads, plus Brad's blog, I'm now convinced there are several mechanisms of action, that they are pretty much all beneficial, and give compounded results. I think this diet helps to normalize the gut biome, strengthen the gut barrier, reduce both endotoxin and serotonin, and also prevent both from leaking into the bloodstream, improves mitochondria with a sort of uncoupling effect, raising "calories out" and body temperatures, normalizes hunger signals and satiety (which may lower "calories in"), lowers cortisol, lowers FAS and FAO, improves liver function, and also improves thyroid function (or response to thyroid hormone, or improved conversion of T4 to T3). I think you can get some of these benefits (and maybe others) from topical absorption, but you would likely miss out on the gut biome/barrier effects. So, eating stearic acid and HCO while using both on the skin should compound benefits.

The other main idea I had was that this would help displace linoleic acid, and make fat stores more saturated, which would make them less inflamed, and also denser. It seems that almost everyone wants to demonize fat stores (or at least, "excess" fat stores). But I had an idea a while ago...... what if what we call "fat" or "obesity" isn't really "fat" at all? Gut Inflammation As The Driver Of Visceral Fat And Fatty Liver

So it may be that we don't want to "lose" fat so much, as make it denser, more saturated, and less inflamed. In this case, maybe we shouldn't worry so much about a "higher" fat percentage of the diet, as we need to rebuild that really important "fat" organ. In a sense, we won't be using those "calories" for energy. The more I've thought about it, the more it makes sense that higher levels of stearic (and palmitic) acid along with a higher dietary SFA/UFA ratio is a better way to eliminate excess PUFA that going low or no fat, so as to avoid "fat starvation" and give our important "fat organ" the correct building blocks, no different than ensuring the right dietary protein and carbs in order to "build muscle."

Vinny

So, I've been thinking about a few things with this whole idea.... First, some have looked for the (single) mechanism of action. Reading through stearic and palmitic acid threads, plus Brad's blog, I'm now convinced there are several mechanisms of action, that they are pretty much all beneficial, and give compounded results. I think this diet helps to normalize the gut biome, strengthen the gut barrier, reduce both endotoxin and serotonin, and also prevent both from leaking into the bloodstream, improves mitochondria with a sort of uncoupling effect, raising "calories out" and body temperatures, normalizes hunger signals and satiety (which may lower "calories in"), lowers cortisol, lowers FAS and FAO, improves liver function, and also improves thyroid function (or response to thyroid hormone, or improved conversion of T4 to T3). I think you can get some of these benefits (and maybe others) from topical absorption, but you would likely miss out on the gut biome/barrier effects. So, eating stearic acid and HCO while using both on the skin should compound benefits.

The other main idea I had was that this would help displace linoleic acid, and make fat stores more saturated, which would make them less inflamed, and also denser. It seems that almost everyone wants to demonize fat stores (or at least, "excess" fat stores). But I had an idea a while ago...... what if what we call "fat" or "obesity" isn't really "fat" at all? Gut Inflammation As The Driver Of Visceral Fat And Fatty Liver

So it may be that we don't want to "lose" fat so much, as make it denser, more saturated, and less inflamed. In this case, maybe we shouldn't worry so much about a "higher" fat percentage of the diet, as we need to rebuild that really important "fat" organ. In a sense, we won't be using those "calories" for energy. The more I've thought about it, the more it makes sense that higher levels of stearic (and palmitic) acid along with a higher dietary SFA/UFA ratio is a better way to eliminate excess PUFA that going low or no fat, so as to avoid "fat starvation" and give our important "fat organ" the correct building blocks, no different than ensuring the right dietary protein and carbs in order to "build muscle."
Interesting ....

KTownSatfats

Yes, verrrry interesting. Last night I realized I may not be able to consume the cocoa butter I’d ordered because more than a little bit of white chocolate tends to give me intestinal cramps. I too thought about using it topically (in addition, of course, to my now high consumption of tallow and butter). I proceeded to rub a bit of cocoa butter on my face, legs and abdomen. Felt very good, almost healing and I figured it couldn’t hurt. I take most of my Idealabs supplements topically. We’ll see how it goes. Anyway, I’m all in. Eating the stuff (stearic acid containing foods) and rubbing it all over my body. Woo hoo!
But seriously, I’m pretty much over my lifelong fear of calories and ‘compact’, I guess is the word. Warmer and somehow a more grounded energy. I don’t have the science but can recount my experience at least.

KTownSatfats

I also ordered some of that kokum butter? Supposed to be around 46% stearic, I believe. Not sure exactly how I’ll use it. Not sure if it’s edible. It’s just that I’m really excited about all this.

Lollipop2

Hasn’t @CLASH been saying something like this?

edit: The part about not being worried about healthy fats and not needing to go ultra low fat.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Hasn’t @CLASH been saying something like this?

edit: The part about not being worried about healthy fats and not needing to go ultra low fat.

He absolutely has. I know he mentioned that he was eating 120-140g of fat (mostly saturated) along with 300g of carbs, not trying to lose weight, but he did notice his belly leaning out over time, even in the context of working a night shift.

I think one thing to look at in the people who have had success using a low (or even no) fat diet is context. Peat, for example, is older, and was about 40-50 years old when the PUFA craze really started to get going. Based on his age, and his knowledge, he probably minimized that damage that it caused in himself. When William Brown did that 6 month no fat experiment, it was in the 1930s. Most animal experiments start just after the animals have been weened. In all of these contexts, the amount of PUFA in fat stores would likely be far, far less than children (now adults battling overweight or "obesity") raised in the US during the 80s, 90s, or 2000s. Looking around the forum, some of the members who have reported the best weight loss success (CLASH, Kreeese, Natedawggh) report eating higher amounts of fat, closer to the 40-50% mark that Peat has suggested as a healthy upper limit, at least in the past. Even Haidut, who seems to eat a lower fat diet, has stated that he eats more fat in the wintertime.

To that point, there is even the case the Brad brings up on his blog of Nanan and Huain-
The Curious Case of Nanan and Huain - Fire In A Bottle

The people of Nanan ate twice as many calories as Huain (index to similar physical labor occupations), and yet, the people of Huain actually weighed a bit more. Both diets are really low fat (and low PUFA), but again, these people were likely always eating this way.

Krigeren

An interview w/ Brad just posted this morning:

Lots of stuff in there that may be of interest to forum members.
- Croissant Diet (obviously).
- "Banana Smoothie" study (added stearic acid & in vivo test results).
- Mitochondrial Fusion is even mentioned.

Nicole W.

Has anyone tried to use Monolaurin in lieu of butter/stearic acid combo? It seems like it would accomplish similar goals without putting someone in the position of having to eat so many croissants, white chocolate bars and stearic acid pellets. Day 3 and these things make me want to gag. However... Monolaurin is used to reduce bacteria in the gut and/ or normalize existing gut bacteria. In animal models it caused weight loss, perhaps by reducing endotoxin. Some people report better thyroid function/metabolism from the lauric acid. I find that it warms me up and suppresses my appetite. I’ve never taken it for more than a month but I’m considering giving it a longer trial with a higher dose and see what happens...

tankasnowgod

An interview w/ Brad just posted this morning:

Lots of stuff in there that may be of interest to forum members.
- Croissant Diet (obviously).
- "Banana Smoothie" study (added stearic acid & in vivo test results).
- Mitochondrial Fusion is even mentioned.

Very cool. So, his original results were with the "consumer" stearic acid which was 50/50 with palmitic.

Really interesting to hear Brad talk about the trend in pork fat. So, PUFAs started to get heavily promoted in the 70s, McDonalds made the switch to hydrogenated Vegetable Oils in 1990, Pork started getting more polyunsaturated in the early 2000s, and McDonalds did away with hydrogenated oils and went to unhydrogenated high PUFA oils in 2008. Each step would serve to add more PUFA to the national diet. (note that a lot of other restaurants followed suit when McDonalds made these moves)

He absolutely has. I know he mentioned that he was eating 120-140g of fat (mostly saturated) along with 300g of carbs, not trying to lose weight, but he did notice his belly leaning out over time, even in the context of working a night shift.

I think one thing to look at in the people who have had success using a low (or even no) fat diet is context. Peat, for example, is older, and was about 40-50 years old when the PUFA craze really started to get going. Based on his age, and his knowledge, he probably minimized that damage that it caused in himself. When William Brown did that 6 month no fat experiment, it was in the 1930s. Most animal experiments start just after the animals have been weened. In all of these contexts, the amount of PUFA in fat stores would likely be far, far less than children (now adults battling overweight or "obesity") raised in the US during the 80s, 90s, or 2000s. Looking around the forum, some of the members who have reported the best weight loss success (CLASH, Kreeese, Natedawggh) report eating higher amounts of fat, closer to the 40-50% mark that Peat has suggested as a healthy upper limit, at least in the past. Even Haidut, who seems to eat a lower fat diet, has stated that he eats more fat in the wintertime.

To that point, there is even the case the Brad brings up on his blog of Nanan and Huain-
The Curious Case of Nanan and Huain - Fire In A Bottle

The people of Nanan ate twice as many calories as Huain (index to similar physical labor occupations), and yet, the people of Huain actually weighed a bit more. Both diets are really low fat (and low PUFA), but again, these people were likely always eating this way.

This is a super good point. Thank you. Indeed. I think stored PUFA fats that have accumulated already are a huge source of ongoing issues even for those of us who have tried PUFA depletion. I think that is what you are saying...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals