Amazing "Croissant Diet" Experiment Results (Stearic Acid/Saturated Fat)

Mauritio

wouldn't this be too hard at room temperature? I thought that was the reason for butter oil (and that it tastes better I suppose)
It's not optimal but it works. Just ate a croissant with marmalade with it. Would be better to toast the croissant first though.
As a cooking oil it should work anyways since temperatures dont matter here really.

tankasnowgod

Why is not everybody making a mix of hydrogenated coconut oil and stearic acid?

In his article Brad mentioned two categories:sfa/pufa ratio and stearic acid content .
This mix would be top in both categories and could be used for cooking or as a butter replacement.

Hydrogenated Coconut Oil is pretty great for this. Near 100% saturation, and the MUFA and PUFA gets mostly turned into Stearic Acid. This puts it just over 10% Stearic to start with, making it about the same portion as butter, but with a better ratio-

Nutrition facts for Oil, used for whipped toppings and coffee whiteners, coconut (hydrogenated), industrial, recommended daily values and analysis.

Mauritio

Hydrogenated Coconut Oil is pretty great for this. Near 100% saturation, and the MUFA and PUFA gets mostly turned into Stearic Acid. This puts it just over 10% Stearic to start with, making it about the same portion as butter, but with a better ratio-

Nutrition facts for Oil, used for whipped toppings and coffee whiteners, coconut (hydrogenated), industrial, recommended daily values and analysis.
Yes, i know . I think the one I'm using has like 7g /100g stearic acid. But still , a little more stearic acid wouldnt hurt.

Just curious, so have any of y'all replicated this experiment to any decent degree?
Just trying to figure out if it's baloney or not.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Just curious, so have any of y'all replicated this experiment to any decent degree?
I’m starting to think it might be the cause of my recent new onset of bowel inflammation and slight diarrhea so I’ve stopped as of today. That’s one way to lose weight I suppose but I’m not that desperate. I’ll post in a few days if these symptoms resolve by stopping the experiment.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the feedback, Blossom.
You’re welcome. Hopefully others will chime in too. I don’t really care about losing weight anyway to be honest. I did think it would be a fun experiment to see if I could change my physique by adding cocoa butter to my diet though.

Philomath

Weight loss from not eating or reduced total calories is physically different than what the author claims. I know because I lost nearly 30lbs in a couple months due to illness. I saw weight loss in my belly/waist for sure, but the muscle loss in my arms and face was more noticeable. If his after pics look like he lost muscle mass I’d be skeptical if his claims. However, he states a high stearic acid diet reduces belly fat primarily.
That makes a lot of sense. The intake of LCSFAs helps as it takes longer to metabolize compared to short chain and medium chain fats, as it doesn't go directly to the liver to be metabolized. As its metabolism is slowed down by needing the additional step of being emulsified and encapsulated in chylomicrons means it doesn't get exhausted quickly, so it can be helpful in keeping one from getting hungry, especially with people who are get hypoglycemic.

Nice catch Glitch! Sorry I didn't make the. connection.

tankasnowgod

It's been less than a week for me, and I was even thinking this was "pre-experiment" time, as I will be travelling. Plan on giving it a really solid 4-6 week try (at least) come January.

tankasnowgod

I’m starting to think it might be the cause of my recent new onset of bowel inflammation and slight diarrhea so I’ve stopped as of today. That’s one way to lose weight I suppose but I’m not that desperate. I’ll post in a few days if these symptoms resolve by stopping the experiment.

FYI, I have noticed GI distress symptoms in the past when I quickly upped fat consumption. SFAs can also have antibiotic effects on the GI tract, which could be another source of distress is you up fats too quickly.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
FYI, I have noticed GI distress symptoms in the past when I quickly upped fat consumption. SFAs can also have antibiotic effects on the GI tract, which could be another source of distress is you up fats too quickly.
Thank you!

I am also experiencing this, so I am backing off for a while too. That may be the explanation.

Vinny

It seems my white choc experiment ended badly.

The flu/endotoxin symptoms did not go away, rather worsened.
Today I barely crawled out of bed at midday, with horrible mood and fatigue. It took me hours to get back in more or less human shape. The body composition scale showed I,ve put another 0.6 kg of FAT, which more than depressing...
So, didn,t eat choc today; now I feel better.
If not something else that I,m not aware of, I blame the milk/pufa content. Will go on my usual diet fos several days, till the cocoa butter and st acid arrive next week, and, if feel better, will give it another shot.

Btw, out of topic, does coffee raise cortisol?

cyclops

Is there any downside to just eating the stearic acid flakes? I got a big bag and I don't mind just chewing it real good for a minute or so...it turns real liquidy and then I just swallow - like 5 grams at a time is no big deal for me - although I get how some may not like to do this. But am I still getting the benefits? I dont really feel much, except the first time I think it kind of altered my breathing. May try more at once.

I been searching for a clear answer to this, but still not sure, except I think someone mentioned eating it may not be great because it converts to oleic acid or something. Can someone confirm if this is true because I really do not mind eating the stearic acid flakes, much prefer to having to go through the process of cooking/melting it or applying it transdermal.

tankasnowgod

Is there any downside to just eating the stearic acid flakes? I got a big bag and I don't mind just chewing it real good for a minute or so...it turns real liquidy and then I just swallow - like 5 grams at a time is no big deal for me - although I get how some may not like to do this. But am I still getting the benefits? I dont really feel much, except the first time I think it kind of altered my breathing. May try more at once.

I been searching for a clear answer to this, but still not sure, except I think someone mentioned eating it may not be great because it converts to oleic acid or something. Can someone confirm if this is true because I really do not mind eating the stearic acid flakes, much prefer to having to go through the process of cooking/melting it or applying it transdermal.

I don't think there would be any negatives, other than potential transient GI distress. It's possible some might convert to oleic acid, but that's possible from ANY dietary fat source that contains Stearic Acid, so it's not an additional concern from the flakes. They may not fully digest, but even that could be beneficial, as it could exert an antibiotic effect in the large intestine. Haidut specifically mentioned this in his previous thread- Dietary Stearic Acid Reduces Visceral Fat By 70% And Increases Lean Mass

tankasnowgod

Here's a testimonial for the Croissant Diet, posted 4 and a half years before Brad made it official- I Lost 4 Pounds In 2 Weeks On The Croissant Diet

Seems like this woman found a restaurant doing croissants the in the traditional French way, and was experiencing some of the same things that Brad mentioned in his post.

"My taste buds were dancing. Jazz and I just looked at one another and we knew – this was it – our new breakfast routine was launched.

Admittedly, I was a tad fearful that one croissant would beget another but I was pleasantly thrilled at how sated I was by this single morning delight. In fact, I was not the slightest bit hungry for the next 4 hours. Surprisingly, I had no carb high or low. I felt great.

As the week wore on, I noticed my appetite throughout the day had diminished.

How could this be?

After a week my new routine was officially a habit. Jazz didn’t seem to be expanding and I had dropped 2 pounds. By week 2, I had dropped 4 pounds. I had settled into my new French weight – just in time for summer."

@tankasnowgod This is super encouraging. I might saddle my wife with a croissant baking experiment soon, haha ....I was making some homemade chocolate with cacao butter for a while, I may try to start that up again

paulwalkerrip

Where do you purchase yours? I live in Canada and have never managed to find it in stores or on Amazon.

KTownSatfats

I’m in California and haven’t been able to find any HCO anywhere including Amazon. Of course nobody wants anything hydrogenated around here! But any suggestions would be appreciated.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals