Sun damage

HeartGold

Hi!

Is it possible to heal this type of sun damage? Does it look dehydrated? I’m only 28 and had great skin until I was 26. My guess is that it’s from a combination of sun, stress and pollution.

I tried niaciamide (orally), thiamine(orally), tallow and progesterone cream but not much helped.

Did I screw up my skin?

Maybe I’m overreacting but if I look at other people my age their skin looks better.

Can I fix it?

BB8ADB47-CB6A-4D3D-8778-D4CF747904FD.jpeg

Last edited:

HumanLife

It looks fine to me but if you don’t feel that it’s smooth, the best thing for it would be a moisturizer.

Natural Korean Aloe Vera Gel 100% - 300ml - Moisturising Cream for Face, Body Hair Gel, Care After Sun, Eczema, Sunburn, Anti-Scars - Aloe Nail https://amzn.eu/d/cmhAqlT

Aloe Vera is Peaty I believe. There’s probably a more effective moisturizer but I am not sure how safe they would be.

One 100% Peat-based brand is Saturée - you can send them an e-mail on [email protected] and send them a photo and explain your issue and in a few days they should reply and recommend the best product. If I had to guess they would just recommend the body cream:

OP
HeartGold

HeartGold

It looks fine to me but if you don’t feel that it’s smooth, the best thing for it would be a moisturizer.

Natural Korean Aloe Vera Gel 100% - 300ml - Moisturising Cream for Face, Body Hair Gel, Care After Sun, Eczema, Sunburn, Anti-Scars - Aloe Nail https://amzn.eu/d/cmhAqlT

Aloe Vera is Peaty I believe. There’s probably a more effective moisturizer but I am not sure how safe they would be.

One 100% Peat-based brand is Saturée - you can send them an e-mail on [email protected] and send them a photo and explain your issue and in a few days they should reply and recommend the best product. If I had to guess they would just recommend the body cream:

Thank you for the detailed info! I will look into it. I never used any moisturizer so worth a try!

It only bothers me on my arms.

cremes

Hi!

Is it possible to heal this type of sun damage? Does it look dehydrated? I’m only 28 and had great skin until I was 26. My guess is that it’s from a combination of sun, stress and pollution.

I tried niaciamide (orally), thiamine(orally), tallow and progesterone cream but not much helped.

Did I screw up my skin?

Maybe I’m overreacting but if I look at other people my age their skin looks better.

Can I fix it?

View attachment 52838

You arm looks just like mine and I'm 50.

LOL, that's not to imply you have the arms of a 50 year old. In fact I have the arm of (apparently) a 26 year old or however old you are now.

The main thing to look for is age spots / lipofuscin. I don't see any on your arm. Looks healthy.

Keep up the niacinamide.

Mathgirl

Where has Peat mentioned Saturee?

OP
HeartGold

HeartGold

You arm looks just like mine and I'm 50.

LOL, that's not to imply you have the arms of a 50 year old. In fact I have the arm of (apparently) a 26 year old or however old you are now.

The main thing to look for is age spots / lipofuscin. I don't see any on your arm. Looks healthy.

Keep up the niacinamide.
Do you know why you have such young looking skin?

My skin looked much smoother only ~2 years ago. Like this.

Attachments

• A0A177ED-247D-42D9-ACDD-E58E49E3B14C.jpeg
    A0A177ED-247D-42D9-ACDD-E58E49E3B14C.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 82

HumanLife

Where has Peat mentioned Saturee?

I don't recall Peat mentioning it, but he has done an interview with the owner of Saturee; Emma Sgourakis, who promotes Peat heavily on the company website. Emma herself claims she has been following Ray Peat since 2011! Even the bigger names in the Peatsphere have recommended Saturee and have done podcasts with her.

cremes

I haven’t used soap on my skin since about 2008. That might be one reason. Of course, I use soap on my hands when cooking but otherwise am soap free.

Btw, hard to believe that’s the same arm. The smoother picture appears to have absolutely no hair on it. The older picture shows hair.

Did your body accumulate hair over the last several years?

ATCP

Hi!

Did I screw up my skin?

Can I fix it?

View attachment 52838
Try dry skin brushing daily and the moisturize with a good grass fed ghee after. If you have access to red light therapy panels it will help bring it back nice and soft.

Also if you don't use it currently add collagen powder (20-30g) daily to your diet and make sure your fat intake isn't super low. If its under 20% i found my skin looked drier

mostlylurking

Have you gotten serious about removing all PUFA from your diet? It will make a huge difference in the condition of your skin. PUFA, either deposited just under your skin via your diet or slathered on via commercial skin products will age your skin. We use a mix of 50/50 lanolin and hydrogenated coconut oil. Small doses (90mg) of niacinamide, taken 4Xday would also be helpful.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
I can vouch for lanolin. My father used to shear sheep once a year. His old coarse farmer hands would look like baby smooth skin after one weekend of shearing sheep.

OP
HeartGold

HeartGold

I haven’t used soap on my skin since about 2008. That might be one reason. Of course, I use soap on my hands when cooking but otherwise am soap free.

Btw, hard to believe that’s the same arm. The smoother picture appears to have absolutely no hair on it. The older picture shows hair.

Did your body accumulate hair over the last several years?
I also haven't used soap in the past 10 years. Only on my hands.

Sorry it’s not my arm but my skin was smooth like that but I have no pictures of my arm from the past.

OP
HeartGold

HeartGold

Have you gotten serious about removing all PUFA from your diet? It will make a huge difference in the condition of your skin. PUFA, either deposited just under your skin via your diet or slathered on via commercial skin products will age your skin. We use a mix of 50/50 lanolin and hydrogenated coconut oil. Small doses (90mg) of niacinamide, taken 4Xday would also be helpful.
I have been max 15 grams daily of PUFA my whole life. Lately max 5. Friends of me eat way more. I have never used commercial skin products. Lanolin makes my skin soft but not smoother.

OP
HeartGold

HeartGold

I can vouch for lanolin. My father used to shear sheep once a year. His old coarse farmer hands would look like baby smooth skin after one weekend of shearing sheep.
Lanolin does not really get into my skin, tallow works way better. Last time I used lanolin I got Dyshidrosis on my hands.

OP
HeartGold

HeartGold

Try dry skin brushing daily and the moisturize with a good grass fed ghee after. If you have access to red light therapy panels it will help bring it back nice and soft.

Also if you don't use it currently add collagen powder (20-30g) daily to your diet and make sure your fat intake isn't super low. If its under 20% i found my skin looked drier
I will look into brushing.

I used collagen but only my hair and nails grew faster, no skin benefit. I just eat soup, it’s enough. Fat intake is above 20%. Most from coconut oil. My face will be more oily but not my arms for some reason.

stoic

With all due respect, how can aloe vera be peaty when it's clearly a phytoestrogen?

mostlylurking

I have been max 15 grams daily of PUFA my whole life. Lately max 5. Friends of me eat way more. I have never used commercial skin products. Lanolin makes my skin soft but not smoother.
I think Ray Peat considered 500mg per day of PUFA to be a desirable goal, especially for someone with a not great metabolic rate. Many children under the age of nine might be able to metabolize more of it without issue. The stuff is lurking everywhere and is difficult to avoid completely. Adults' metabolism slows down and is less able to metabolize PUFA so it gets stored in the fat cells, for years.

Old Irenaeus

Where did you grow up? Did your parents know about Ray Peat?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals