Considerations on Methylene Blue for skin

Bingo

There are a few published articles circulating here about using methylene blue for skin health and several people have reported trying this. The articles include:

Anti-Aging Potentials of Methylene Blue for Human Skin Longevity - Scientific Reports

In the nature article, the most effective concentration of methylene blue for dermal thickness was 0.5 micromolar solution. I do not have the full paper for the sunscreen article but they did find UV absorption at 1.0 micromolar solution from one of the graphics. The 0.1 micromolar solution did not have the UV absorption, so I am going to settle on a target concentration of 0.5 micromolar as my concerns are skin wrinkles. This may or may not impart sunscreen like effectiveness.

The molecular weight of methylene blue is 320 grams per mole. and I have a 1% solution that claims to be about 0.4mg or 400 micrograms per drop. Using this calculator

I found that one drop of Oxidol makes 2.5 Liters of skin cream at a 0.5 micromolar solution!!! Anyone here check my math?

It might be that some of the people who have experienced whitening of hairs or other side effects are creating a solution that is too strong to be used on the skin.

I decided to create a less concentration stock solution by putting one drop of Oxidol in 25ml of distilled water, storing this in an eyedropper. This solution can be used to create skin creams by using 1ml of this less concentrated stock solution per 100ml of skin cream. I think this is less likely to stain, although any dilution of methylene blue will dry down and potentially ruin whatever it touches. (If you didn't take a college chemistry class then you might learn this the hard way.)

Because my target skin is around my eyes I am considering just adding this to rosewater. This does not irritate and can be applied to the whole face including around the delicate eye area. it makes mixing simple as well. I already have rosewater which I purchased in 10 ounce bottles (300ml) from Amazon.

There are some other articles of potential interest here:

There are articles that discuss combining red light and methylene blue:
https://academic.oup.com/mutage/article/24/3/253/1074255
Methylene blue plus light-induced lipid peroxidation in rat liver microsomes: inhibition by nicotinamide (vitamin B3) and other antioxidants - PubMed

I am concerned about the articles where methylene blue is combined with red light an produces tissue damage, although the concentration of methylene blue was way higher. Something that is used on the face daily will have plenty of light as well as time to react. It seems it might be best to use methylene blue on the skin only at night, although the sunscreen article does indicate it may be safe or even beneficial in the sun. It it tempting to add niacinamide to the rose water.

Anyone hear with experience or thoughts about the potential safety of methylene blue on the skin? Anyone have other articles on this subject to share?

There are threads on using methylene blue for skin, so if this belongs somewhere else that's fine. I thought the calculations themselves were worthy of a new discussion post since people are using concentrations far in excess of this.

Thanks for any input.

Osukhan

ive seen this product advertised often, have thought about giving it a try
ive only used MB orally, and have used IR panel at night, but never used it topically bc obviously would stain the skin
but the website has some good articles to look over

Layne

Thanks for any input.
A couple things: 1) You may want to consider topically applying castor oil for your skin before doing methylene blue, which seems rather "complicated"; 2) Methylene Blue has a similar molecular structure as Vit. C, and you may want to see whether a vitamin C "paste" applied to the skin might be helpful. -- Best!

A-Tim

Most comprehensive take on Methylene Blue I've seen is the recent essay by Chris Masterjohn. Will probably help you consider it better.

Lejeboca

Hi Bingo,

I am concerned about the articles where methylene blue is combined with red light an produces tissue damage, although the concentration of methylene blue was way higher. Something that is used on the face daily will have plenty of light as well as time to react.

was addressed in this thread Niacinamide Inhibits Cytotoxic Effects Of Methylene Blue

Anyone hear with experience or thoughts about the potential safety of methylene blue on the skin?

was addressed here including calculations dosages and experiences in this thread: Methylene Blue DIY Skin Cream?

My conclusion from reading lots and applying MB daily on my skin and in neti pot is that small doses (roughly speaking those that will not leave visible traces) are beneficial and will not cause either photo-sensitivity or negative effects when coupled with light.

Lejeboca

Because my target skin is around my eyes I am considering just adding this to rosewater. This does not irritate and can be applied to the whole face including around the delicate eye area. it makes mixing simple as well. I already have rosewater which I purchased in 10 ounce bottles (300ml) from Amazon.

Mixing water-solution of MB with another water (rose) should be fine. It will be absorbed into the skin before it has a chance to dry out and to crystalize. If you cover the applied area with a bit of cream, the drying out will be delayed.

andrewlee224

I bought the methylene blue skin cream from MitoLab, in general I like the idea, the only thing I'm not a fan of is that there's almond oil in the ingredients, which I think has PUFAs.

golder

I bought the methylene blue skin cream from MitoLab, in general I like the idea, the only thing I'm not a fan of is that there's almond oil in the ingredients, which I think has PUFAs.
Same concern as you. Why not just add 2-3 drops of methylene blue to your normal moisturiser? What’s wrong with that, avoids PUFA and saves money, or am I missing something?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals