Methylene Blue DIY Skin Cream?

Lejeboca

Will you post the results you have with your DIY cream?

I've noticed thicker and better hydrated skin (although I didn't have a problem with the latter before). But I didn't notice cream's effect on wrinkles yet. I will try to be more consistent with experimenting an report back if I see a difference.

The ingredients for the bluelene product:

Thank you for posting the ingredients. Will you be using it as a day-time cream for skin hydration?

I do want to try to make similar creams at home in the future. I gather that I need, at the least, a mg scale, and probably also a hot plate and other items that I vaguely remember from college chemistry lab.

Technically, I do my own salves, not creams. I.e., they do not contain any water or alcohol. I follow salve-making techniques described in The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual by James Green .
(I am not affiliated with the book author or publishing company.) They are quite easy and don't need unusual implements.
Feel free to PM me if you have questions on your salve making. I'd be glad to help if I can.

Do you use oxidal for MB?
I use MB in powder form and dissolve it in oil.
I tried a water solution of MB but my salve's "shelf-life" didn't exceed ~1 week when I mixed it in.

YamnayaMommy

I've noticed thicker and better hydrated skin (although I didn't have a problem with the latter before). But I didn't notice cream's effect on wrinkles yet. I will try to be more consistent with experimenting an report back if I see a difference.

Thank you for posting the ingredients. Will you be using it as a day-time cream for skin hydration?

Technically, I do my own salves, not creams. I.e., they do not contain any water or alcohol. I follow salve-making techniques described in The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual by James Green .
(I am not affiliated with the book author or publishing company.) They are quite easy and don't need unusual implements.
Feel free to PM me if you have questions on your salve making. I'd be glad to help if I can.

I use MB in powder form and dissolve it in oil.
I tried a water solution of MB but my salve's "shelf-life" didn't exceed ~1 week when I mixed it in.

thanks so much for the book recommendation; I am very interested in learning how to make my own products.

I am going to apply it morning and night, in lieu of a moisturizer. Since discovering this forum, I stopped using my old conventional cleansers etc and have just been using coconut oil to cleanse . I have multiple minor skin issues that I’m hoping to improve. Since peating, I’ve had weird tiny red bumps appear in the peri orbital area. Not very noticeable but weird. And a little acne on jaw line. It seems cycle related. And since getting more sun I’ve developed a definite “mask of pregnancy”—the hyperpigmentation on around cheek bones and temples. I am still breastfeeding a baby and assume the hyperpigmentation is related to related hormone imbalances. I’m going to reimplement sunscreen on face to mitigate this.

it is hugely annoying to me that I can’t tan like I could in my twenties.

what other products have you found beneficial? I’m curious about and inspired by your MB salve! Dissolving powder in oil doesn’t sound too challenging.

I’ve also thought about adding MB to a bath. I do baking soda and aspirin baths, followed by body moisturizer of mix of cocoa butter and coconut oil. They are so relaxing and my skin, especially my feet, is softer and better hydrated.

Lejeboca

From the paper posted in Index of refraction PUFA (post #16)
Ultraviolet radiation protection potentials of Methylene Blue for human skin and coral reef health - PubMed ,
it appears that MB at minuscule concentrations of 100nM is already effective for skin protection, not only as "typical" sunscreen but also due to its ROS scavenging effect. And this effect is more prominent for older skin and when combined with "typical" anti-oxidant, Vit C.
(Compare the MB above with the paper in OP, which says that 2.5uM does not color skin blue.)

From the paper's Discussion section:
"UVA radiation significantly increases levels of ROS inside the skin. These high levels of ROS result in damage to skin cells and their surrounding connective tissue, which leads to the physical signs (e.g., wrinkles, reductions in skin elasticity) of premature photoaging. Endogenous antioxidants within the skin are depleted during elevated levels of UVA generated ROS. As a result, many anti-aging skincare creams deliver exogenous antioxidants to help combat ROS. Vitamin A (commonly known as Retinol in skincare) and Vitamin C are popular active antioxidants used in skincare. In the comparative studies demonstrated in Figs. Figs.3B,3B, C and and4,4, both MB and Vitamin C promoted cell proliferation, but BP-3 and Vitamin A had little effects at the tested concentrations (Figs. (Figs.3B3B and and4A,B).4A,B). Among these four compounds, MB is no doubt the most effective ROS scavenger in human skin cells (Figs. (Figs.3C3C and and4C,D).4C,D). Additionally, we found that when MB is combined with Vitamin C, a positive synergistic benefit was observed. The MB plus Vitamin C treated cells showed the highest skin cell proliferation rate and lowest cellular stress as determined by mitochondrial ROS assay. Furthermore, this synergistic effect on combating ROS is more prominent in old skin cells than in young cells (Fig. (Fig.4C,D).4C,D). These results indicate the combination of MB and Vitamin C could be used in skincare to deliver optimal anti-aging effects."

1666485674452.png

Figure 4: MB is a more effective ROS scavenger than Vitamin A and Vitamin C in human skin fibroblasts. (A) Young (Left) and old (Right) male fibroblasts proliferation during the fourteen-day treatment with control PBS, 0.01% DMSO, 100 nM MB, 100 nM Vitamin A, 100 μM Vitamin C, and 100 nM MB + 100 μM Vitamin C, respectively. p < 0.05, **p < 0.01 comparing with Control PBS on the same day; # p < 0.05 or ## p < 0.01 comparing with MB + Vitamin C-treated cells on the same day. (B) Young (Left) and old (Right) female fibroblasts proliferation during the fourteen-day treatment with control PBS, 0.01% DMSO, 100 nM MB, 100 nM Vitamin A, 100 μM Vitamin C, and 100 nM MB + 100 μM Vitamin C, respectively. p < 0.05, **p < 0.01 comparing with Control PBS on the same day; # p < 0.05 or ## p < 0.01 comparing with MB + Vitamin C-treated cells on the same day. (C) Comparison of the mitochondrial specific superoxide (MitoSOX) levels in young and old male fibroblasts after the treatment of control PBS, 0.01% DMSO, 100 nM MB, 100 nM Vitamin A, 100 μM Vitamin C, or 100 nM MB + 100 μM Vitamin C for 4 weeks. p < 0.05, **p < 0.01 comparing with Control PBS. (D) Comparison of the final mitochondrial specific superoxide (MitoSOX) levels in young and old female fibroblasts after the treatment of PBS control, 0.01% DMSO, 100 nM MB, 100 nM Vitamin A, 100 μM Vitamin C, and 100 nM MB + 100 μM Vitamin C for 4 weeks. *p < 0.05, **p < 0.01 comparing with Control PBS.

Mossy

it appears that MB at minuscule concentrations of 100nM is already effective for skin protection, not only as "typical" sunscreen but also due to its ROS scavenging effect. And this effect is more prominent for older skin and when combined with "typical" anti-oxidant, Vit C.
(Compare the MB above with the paper in OP, which says that 2.5uM does not color skin blue.)
It would seem there would be no need to worry about turning the skin blue if adding vitamin C.

Could this combo of MB and vitamin C (leuco-methylene blue) be the new lean and harsh chemical-free sun screen?

Only concern for me would be the need to be able to dilute it as thinly as possible, as MB makes me feel off.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

From the paper posted in Index of refraction PUFA (post #16)
Ultraviolet radiation protection potentials of Methylene Blue for human skin and coral reef health - PubMed ,

From the paper's Discussion section:
"UVA radiation significantly increases levels of ROS inside the skin. These high levels of ROS result in damage to skin cells and their surrounding connective tissue, which leads to the physical signs (e.g., wrinkles, reductions in skin elasticity) of premature photoaging. Endogenous antioxidants within the skin are depleted during elevated levels of UVA generated ROS. As a result, many anti-aging skincare creams deliver exogenous antioxidants to help combat ROS. Vitamin A (commonly known as Retinol in skincare) and Vitamin C are popular active antioxidants used in skincare. In the comparative studies demonstrated in Figs. Figs.3B,3B, C and and4,4, both MB and Vitamin C promoted cell proliferation, but BP-3 and Vitamin A had little effects at the tested concentrations (Figs. (Figs.3B3B and and4A,B).4A,B). Among these four compounds, MB is no doubt the most effective ROS scavenger in human skin cells (Figs. (Figs.3C3C and and4C,D).4C,D). Additionally, we found that when MB is combined with Vitamin C, a positive synergistic benefit was observed. The MB plus Vitamin C treated cells showed the highest skin cell proliferation rate and lowest cellular stress as determined by mitochondrial ROS assay. Furthermore, this synergistic effect on combating ROS is more prominent in old skin cells than in young cells (Fig. (Fig.4C,D).4C,D). These results indicate the combination of MB and Vitamin C could be used in skincare to deliver optimal anti-aging effects."

View attachment 43910

Figure 4: MB is a more effective ROS scavenger than Vitamin A and Vitamin C in human skin fibroblasts. (A) Young (Left) and old (Right) male fibroblasts proliferation during the fourteen-day treatment with control PBS, 0.01% DMSO, 100 nM MB, 100 nM Vitamin A, 100 μM Vitamin C, and 100 nM MB + 100 μM Vitamin C, respectively. p < 0.05, **p < 0.01 comparing with Control PBS on the same day; # p < 0.05 or ## p < 0.01 comparing with MB + Vitamin C-treated cells on the same day. (B) Young (Left) and old (Right) female fibroblasts proliferation during the fourteen-day treatment with control PBS, 0.01% DMSO, 100 nM MB, 100 nM Vitamin A, 100 μM Vitamin C, and 100 nM MB + 100 μM Vitamin C, respectively. p < 0.05, **p < 0.01 comparing with Control PBS on the same day; # p < 0.05 or ## p < 0.01 comparing with MB + Vitamin C-treated cells on the same day. (C) Comparison of the mitochondrial specific superoxide (MitoSOX) levels in young and old male fibroblasts after the treatment of control PBS, 0.01% DMSO, 100 nM MB, 100 nM Vitamin A, 100 μM Vitamin C, or 100 nM MB + 100 μM Vitamin C for 4 weeks. p < 0.05, **p < 0.01 comparing with Control PBS. (D) Comparison of the final mitochondrial specific superoxide (MitoSOX) levels in young and old female fibroblasts after the treatment of PBS control, 0.01% DMSO, 100 nM MB, 100 nM Vitamin A, 100 μM Vitamin C, and 100 nM MB + 100 μM Vitamin C for 4 weeks. *p < 0.05, **p < 0.01 comparing with Control PBS.
Do you know how effective this combo of Vitamin C and MB is compared to, let's say 50 SPF traditional sunscreen?

Lejeboca

Only concern for me would be the need to be able to dilute it as thinly as possible, as MB makes me feel off.
You can try a homeopathic dilution?

MB and Vit. C are both water soluble, so you will have to make them as suncreen "just-in-time" for the application and cannot store for long. Lotions that have water in them are not well preserved either.
Might not be very practical as sunscreen?

Lejeboca

Do you know how effective this combo of Vitamin C and MB is compared to, let's say 50 SPF traditional sunscreen?
I haven't tried the combo yet. By just using MB at about 2-4mM concentrations on my face and arms, I avoid the need for all the suncreens for normal past time in sunny climates (~36' lattitude) without spending hours sunbathing.

Mossy

You can try a homeopathic dilution?

MB and Vit. C are both water soluble, so you will have to make them as suncreen "just-in-time" for the application and cannot store for long. Lotions that have water in them are not well preserved either.
Might not be very practical as sunscreen?
OK, that makes sense about needing to make it on an as needed basis. I know a very small amount of vitamin E can be used as a preservative for vitamin C serum, so maybe that will work in this case as well. At least to allow for some additional storage, but obviously not equivalent to the shelf-life of commercial sunscreen.

frannybananny

Great. Hyaluronic acid is the base I’m using, so that will work nicely. Thanks again.
I make my own Hyaluronic Acid gel and am considering adding a drop of MB to a small 2 oz jar..... do you think this would act as a preservative for the HA? Lately my jars have been getting some kind of mold in them after a few weeks and I bought a preservative to add but haven't started yet. My aging skin really needs some serious help! lol. I am looking into the commercial Bluelene line but would rather make my own. I have had a great experience with MB on a skin wound made myself by ripping out a skin cancer. It helped close up the wound faster used with castor oil and DMSO, it was really amazing.

Lejeboca

I make my own Hyaluronic Acid gel and am considering adding a drop of MB to a small 2 oz jar..... do you think this would act as a preservative for the HA? Lately my jars have been getting some kind of mold in them after a few weeks and I bought a preservative to add but haven't started yet. My aging skin really needs some serious help! lol. I am looking into the commercial Bluelene line but would rather make my own. I have had a great experience with MB on a skin wound made myself by ripping out a skin cancer. It helped close up the wound faster used with castor oil and DMSO, it was really amazing.
From my experience, adding about one drop of 100mcg of MB diluted in water to 1 oz jar of MCT-oil based ointment caused some rancidity after about 1-2 weeks when kept at room temperature.

Cannot say anything about mold, however, sorry.

frannybananny

From my experience, adding about one drop of 100mcg of MB diluted in water to 1 oz jar of MCT-oil based ointment caused some rancidity after about 1-2 weeks when kept at room temperature.

Interesting, thanks! Wonder why it caused rancidity. I thought it was a disinfectant. I'll experiment. However I don't use MCT oil.

Lejeboca

Interesting, thanks! Wonder why it caused rancidity. I thought it was a disinfectant. I'll experiment. However I don't use MCT oil.
It's not MB that causes rancidity, it's the addition of water into oil, which speeds up oil rancidity, i.e., oxidation. MB (especially in that minute quantity) did not prevent oxidation due to moisture. Sorry for the confusing statement earlier

Lejeboca

Notice the 1st ingredient in bluelene is water Methylene Blue DIY Skin Cream? .
But also it has Polysorbate 60, which is emulsifier to make the water-oil mix stable and a bunch of anti-bacterial botanicals, such as bergamont and grapefruit extracts.

All in all, I do not think that the amounts of MB that do not color the skin may be effective as strong anti-bacterial/anti-fungal.

peatra

I find it a bit futzy to make my own creams so have made a toner spray with MB, vit C and NAC. NAC has to be mixed in warm water first but will stay in solution after it cools and is mixed with the others. I use it before and after my red light mask. My skin has definitely improved - more even toned complexion and ice pick scars seem smaller.

Lejeboca

I find it a bit futzy to make my own creams so have made a toner spray with MB, vit C and NAC. NAC has to be mixed in warm water first but will stay in solution after it cools and is mixed with the others. I use it before and after my red light mask. My skin has definitely improved - more even toned complexion and ice pick scars seem smaller.
Nice!
What are the concentrations of these three ingredients in your spray?
I assume that your solution is not blue since MB loses color when mixed with Vit. C, right? Thank you.

Tzheng2012

Notice the 1st ingredient in bluelene is water Methylene Blue DIY Skin Cream? .
But also it has Polysorbate 60, which is emulsifier to make the water-oil mix stable and a bunch of anti-bacterial botanicals, such as bergamont and grapefruit extracts.

All in all, I do not think that the amounts of MB that do not color the skin may be effective as strong anti-bacterial/anti-fungal.
The botanical extracts won’t do much as a preservative. Antibacterial doesn’t equate to preservative. It has Phenoxyethanol which is a preservative which is why it won’t go bad. Same reason adding MB to something will not work as a preservative. I’ve tried making a topical solution with colloidal copper as a water base but it still molded. And colloidal copper is supposed to be as anti bacterial and anti fungal as colloidal silver. Seems a proper preservative is necessary if you’re wanting to make your own topicals that are room temp stable.

So 100mcg if MB to 1oz liquid is 2.5uM concentration?

So if we take 1 drop of Mb which is about 400mcg and mix into 4ml of vodka (or better yet everclear), then take 2ml of that solution we get 200mcg. Then take 1ml of that solution and mix into 1oz of liquid that would be around 2.5uM?

Does that sound right?

Lejeboca

So 100mcg if MB to 1oz liquid is 2.5uM concentration?

So if we take 1 drop of Mb which is about 400mcg and mix into 4ml of vodka (or better yet everclear), then take 2ml of that solution we get 200mcg. Then take 1ml of that solution and mix into 1oz of liquid that would be around 2.5uM?

Does that sound right?
More precisely:
What's mass of MB required to make 2.5uM (2.5umol/L) solution in 100ml of water?
The molar mass of MB is 319.85 g/mol
Then:
Mass = 2.5*10^{-9} * (100 / 1000) * 319.85 = 79.9625 mcg

Mossy

Sorry for the delay—I've been offline for awhile.

I have no experience with using MB as a preservative. I normally use vitamin e oil, but currently do not have any; so I'm trying a bit of Tocovit (Haidut's vitamin e). I don't have a non-vitamin e version to test against, I'm just using it based on what I've read (that it's a good preservative).

peatra

Nice!
What are the concentrations of these three ingredients in your spray?
I assume that your solution is not blue since MB loses color when mixed with Vit. C, right? Thank you.
solution is not blue. i honestly just do ingredients based on a feel for these things, no measurements. you want the mb to be clear, not too acidic for skin, NAC has to stay in solution.
it will still stain pillowcases blue.

kselfridge

Forum Supporter
It would seem there would be no need to worry about turning the skin blue if adding vitamin C.

Could this combo of MB and vitamin C (leuco-methylene blue) be the new lean and harsh chemical-free sun screen?

Can you explain why it makes you feel off? I think it made me feel extremely depressed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals