Methylene Blue Mitochondria ETC

grithin

A bit ago, when I read the studies about MB and ETC, the model I came up with was:

mb_mito.png

In thinking about it now, there's another possible model/application of MB:

mb_mito2.png

In perhaps over 5 years of testing with MB, I've found:
- 15mg high concentration dose (just below the burning threshold) on back of tongue useful pre-gym to improve workout by reducing perceived exertion for about 1-2hrs (expected consequent to MAO inhibition)
- 0.25-1mg dose, taken ~ every 3hr, improves overall energy

I've also noticed, however, that MB, at low concentration, seems to promote some microbes.

Some relevant studies..

[From Mitochondrial Function to Neuroprotection-an Emerging Role for Methylene Blue](https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28840449/)
- `MB can reroute electrons in the mitochondrial electron transfer chain directly from NADH to cytochrome c, increasing the activity of complex IV and effectively promoting mitochondrial activity while mitigating oxidative stress`

[Methylene blue improves mitochondrial respiration and decreases oxidative stress in a substrate-dependent manner in diabetic rat hearts](https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28738167/)
- `methylene blue elicited a significant increase in H2O2 release in the presence of complex I substrates (glutamate and malate), but had an opposite effect in mitochondria energized with complex II substrate (succinate)`

- `Our data suggest that the acceptor of electrons from MB is a Qo ubiquinol‐binding site of Complex III; `

- MBH2 donates electrons to complex IV. This is particular useful in some cases where complex I and complex II are impaired (which can occur with hydrazine and efavirenz Bypassing the compromised mitochondrial electron transport with methylene blue alleviates efavirenz/isoniazid-induced oxidant stress and mitochondria-mediated cell death in mouse hepatocytes)

[Neurometabolic mechanisms for memory enhancement and neuroprotection of methylene blue](https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22067440/)
`MB hormesis can be explained by the pharmacokinetics of MB in mitochondria, which is determined by the mitochondrial membrane potential and the relative local concentration of MB. Higher membrane potentials induce higher MB accumulation (i.e. binding to mitochondrial proteins) which in turn promotes higher MB aggregation (i.e. dimerization of MB molecules). However, MB aggregation is also affected by the proportion of MB molecules to binding sites, with less aggregation at very high, and very low binding site concentrations. Production of radicals has been shown to increase in the presence of MB monomers and be minimal in the presence of MB dimers [[@{:mb_dimers}@{[gabrielli2004.pdf]}]] (Gabrielli et al., 2004). Thus, in the presence of an optimal mitochondrial membrane potential, low MB concentrations favor dimerization and reduction, whereas high concentrations promote oxidation and reaction with endogenous electron donors such as nicotine adenine dinucleotide (NADH) and nicotine adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADPH). Therefore, it is expected that low MB doses or concentrations will be, in general, more effective than large ones at facilitating physiological effects within mitochondria. In fact, at high local concentrations, MB can potentially “steal” electrons away from the electron transport chain complexes, disrupting the redox balance and acting as a pro-oxidant (Vutskits et al., 2008). Consistent with this, cell cultures exposed to high (micromolar range) but not to low (nanomolar range) concentrations of MB induce high levels of oxidants, and show a compensatory up regulation of antioxidant enzymes with decreased heme expression and iron uptake by 50% (Atamna et al., 2008). Several detrimental effects of MB on neural structure or function have been reported in vivo, including humans. These effects have been associated with administration of large doses of the compound, contact with connective tissue or concomitant use of psychotropic drugs (Arieff and Pyzik, 1960; Poppers et al., 1970; Blass and Fung, 1976; Martindale and Stedeford, 2003; Sweet and Standiford, 2007; Vutskits et al., 2008).`

Hans

Forum Supporter
A bit ago, when I read the studies about MB and ETC, the model I came up with was:

View attachment 22097

In thinking about it now, there's another possible model/application of MB:

View attachment 22098

In perhaps over 5 years of testing with MB, I've found:
- 15mg high concentration dose (just below the burning threshold) on back of tongue useful pre-gym to improve workout by reducing perceived exertion for about 1-2hrs (expected consequent to MAO inhibition)
- 0.25-1mg dose, taken ~ every 3hr, improves overall energy

I've also noticed, however, that MB, at low concentration, seems to promote some microbes.

Some relevant studies..

[From Mitochondrial Function to Neuroprotection-an Emerging Role for Methylene Blue](https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28840449/)
- `MB can reroute electrons in the mitochondrial electron transfer chain directly from NADH to cytochrome c, increasing the activity of complex IV and effectively promoting mitochondrial activity while mitigating oxidative stress`

[Methylene blue improves mitochondrial respiration and decreases oxidative stress in a substrate-dependent manner in diabetic rat hearts](https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28738167/)
- `methylene blue elicited a significant increase in H2O2 release in the presence of complex I substrates (glutamate and malate), but had an opposite effect in mitochondria energized with complex II substrate (succinate)`

- `Our data suggest that the acceptor of electrons from MB is a Qo ubiquinol‐binding site of Complex III; `

- MBH2 donates electrons to complex IV. This is particular useful in some cases where complex I and complex II are impaired (which can occur with hydrazine and efavirenz Bypassing the compromised mitochondrial electron transport with methylene blue alleviates efavirenz/isoniazid-induced oxidant stress and mitochondria-mediated cell death in mouse hepatocytes)

[Neurometabolic mechanisms for memory enhancement and neuroprotection of methylene blue](https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22067440/)
`MB hormesis can be explained by the pharmacokinetics of MB in mitochondria, which is determined by the mitochondrial membrane potential and the relative local concentration of MB. Higher membrane potentials induce higher MB accumulation (i.e. binding to mitochondrial proteins) which in turn promotes higher MB aggregation (i.e. dimerization of MB molecules). However, MB aggregation is also affected by the proportion of MB molecules to binding sites, with less aggregation at very high, and very low binding site concentrations. Production of radicals has been shown to increase in the presence of MB monomers and be minimal in the presence of MB dimers [[@{:mb_dimers}@{[gabrielli2004.pdf]}]] (Gabrielli et al., 2004). Thus, in the presence of an optimal mitochondrial membrane potential, low MB concentrations favor dimerization and reduction, whereas high concentrations promote oxidation and reaction with endogenous electron donors such as nicotine adenine dinucleotide (NADH) and nicotine adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADPH). Therefore, it is expected that low MB doses or concentrations will be, in general, more effective than large ones at facilitating physiological effects within mitochondria. In fact, at high local concentrations, MB can potentially “steal” electrons away from the electron transport chain complexes, disrupting the redox balance and acting as a pro-oxidant (Vutskits et al., 2008). Consistent with this, cell cultures exposed to high (micromolar range) but not to low (nanomolar range) concentrations of MB induce high levels of oxidants, and show a compensatory up regulation of antioxidant enzymes with decreased heme expression and iron uptake by 50% (Atamna et al., 2008). Several detrimental effects of MB on neural structure or function have been reported in vivo, including humans. These effects have been associated with administration of large doses of the compound, contact with connective tissue or concomitant use of psychotropic drugs (Arieff and Pyzik, 1960; Poppers et al., 1970; Blass and Fung, 1976; Martindale and Stedeford, 2003; Sweet and Standiford, 2007; Vutskits et al., 2008).`
So you're trying to say/show that MB could cause reverse electron flow from complex III since MBH2 donates to cytochrome C and complex IV and could thus cause a "blockage" from complex III to IV?
This might be possible, but since MB also upregulates CytC, the net effect of small doses will only be positive and will most likely not cause reverse electron flow.

Also, since MB takes the electrons from a dysfunctional and slow complex I and II (or NADH and FADH2 before they reach these complexes), this normal flow of electrons should not cause reverse flow, since the MB basically "restores" the function/rate of complex I and II.
MB might upregulate the metabolic rate but only to normal if it was too slow in the first place. Any excess energy metabolism will boost uncoupling.

What I'm trying to say is that complex I and II isn't necessarily the rate limited step and just by adding MB won't make the Kreb cycle churn any faster. The only way it could do that is to improve tissue oxygenation and increase NAD levels (which it does actually).

OP
grithin

grithin

The mechanism isn't certain. The studies I listed presented 1. MB as interacting directly with Complex III and 2. with cytochrome c.
I find it unlikely MB would interact with Complex III directly (enzymes are designed for specific shapes), and I expect my model is more accurate (MBH2 interacts with Q near Complex III and then resulting QH2 interacts with Complex III). But don't tell the scientists that.
Given membrane permeability capacity of MB, it might make sense that MB, MBH2 could interact with Q, QH2, Cyt C (and this would explain the different studies implicating different areas of action in ETC).

If MBH2 interacted directly with Complex III, if MBH2 reducted Cyc C, it could create, as you say, a "blockage" preventing clearance of QH2.
But, it is more complex than that. As I mentioned, MBH2 could serve as a buffer for QH2, in times where QH2/Q became very high (such as during fat burning). In that way, you'd have to consider the buffer dynamic along with the blockage dynamic.
Additionally, the route of NADH -> MBH2 -> Cyc C would skip multiple H+ production. This would have a similar effect as uncoupling, but different. For instance, it is the running of ETC that generates heat, and this skipping of Complex I-III would not yield as much heat as uncoupling would.

Any way, I have reduced mental capacity presently (a bad experiment), so I'm not going to attempt to model exactly what all these dynamics would mean, but I brought them up to say, the situation is more complex than MB upregulating complex III (it is not so much the rate of complex III that is important, but the clearance of QH2).

Also, do you have a link to MB increasing NAD (and is that {NAD+ + NADH} or {NAD+/NADH}).

I guess I'll mention, just like almost everything, the number of mitochondria, and the amount of {NAD+ + NADH} is a reverse U curve in benefit.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
The mechanism isn't certain. The studies I listed presented 1. MB as interacting directly with Complex III and 2. with cytochrome c.
I find it unlikely MB would interact with Complex III directly (enzymes are designed for specific shapes), and I expect my model is more accurate (MBH2 interacts with Q near Complex III and then resulting QH2 interacts with Complex III). But don't tell the scientists that.
Given membrane permeability capacity of MB, it might make sense that MB, MBH2 could interact with Q, QH2, Cyt C (and this would explain the different studies implicating different areas of action in ETC).

If MBH2 interacted directly with Complex III, if MBH2 reducted Cyc C, it could create, as you say, a "blockage" preventing clearance of QH2.
But, it is more complex than that. As I mentioned, MBH2 could serve as a buffer for QH2, in times where QH2/Q became very high (such as during fat burning). In that way, you'd have to consider the buffer dynamic along with the blockage dynamic.
Additionally, the route of NADH -> MBH2 -> Cyc C would skip multiple H+ production. This would have a similar effect as uncoupling, but different. For instance, it is the running of ETC that generates heat, and this skipping of Complex I-III would not yield as much heat as uncoupling would.

Any way, I have reduced mental capacity presently (a bad experiment), so I'm not going to attempt to model exactly what all these dynamics would mean, but I brought them up to say, the situation is more complex than MB upregulating complex III (it is not so much the rate of complex III that is important, but the clearance of QH2).

Also, do you have a link to MB increasing NAD (and is that {NAD+ + NADH} or {NAD+/NADH}).

I guess I'll mention, just like almost everything, the number of mitochondria, and the amount of {NAD+ + NADH} is a U curve in benefit.
It's definitely very interesting stuff.

Here's a study on MB and NAD.
"We found that MB facilitates NADH oxidation, increases NAD+, and the activity of deacetylase Sirtuin 3, and reduces protein lysine acetylation in diabetic cardiac mitochondria." (R)

So it would increase NAD and decrease NADH, as indicated in this study. Not sure if it actually enhances NAD synthesis from its precursors.

OP
grithin

grithin

It's definitely very interesting stuff.

Here's a study on MB and NAD.
"We found that MB facilitates NADH oxidation, increases NAD+, and the activity of deacetylase Sirtuin 3, and reduces protein lysine acetylation in diabetic cardiac mitochondria." (R)

So it would increase NAD and decrease NADH, as indicated in this study. Not sure if it actually enhances NAD synthesis from its precursors.

Yeah, that fits my model, which I'll explain a little more.

MB is attracted to matrix b/c of high content of reducing agents. Once there, MB is reduced to MBH2. MBH2 is then attracted to inner membrane. MBH2 goes to inner membrane and then interacts with Q and Cyt C. Some MB escapes inner membrane back to matrix, oxidixing NADH again, and going back to inner membrane. This dynamic would explain reduction in NADH content.

I hadn't thought about the significance of this to activation of mito SIRT though. That's interesting.

Unfortunately, I can't mention more without revealing some things I don't care to presently.

yerrag

Can you give me an idea of the dosage that would be considered low?

OP
grithin

grithin

Can you give me an idea of the dosage that would be considered low?

Matter of concentration. Back when I would place ~15mg of a 1-2mg per drop concentration on the back of my tongue, some hours later, as the stain diminished, I would end up with a white growth on my tongue - presumably a yeast (with mitochondria). I expect other microbe eukaryotes might also benefit from low concentrations.

yerrag

Matter of concentration. Back when I would place ~15mg of a 1-2mg per drop concentration on the back of my tongue, some hours later, as the stain diminished, I would end up with a white growth on my tongue - presumably a yeast (with mitochondria). I expect other microbe eukaryotes might also benefit from low concentrations.
I was only taking 1.2mg x 2 daily. Looks like I've been too cautious and this may end up being counterproductive.

yerrag

The sweet spot in dosing, according to Dr. Gonzalez-Lima, is between 0.5-5 mg/kg:

He said that shortly after the beginning of this video.

At 70kg, that would place me at a dosage of 35mg-350mg/day. I would easily use up my methylene even at the low dosage.

OP
grithin

grithin

--removed--

Last edited:
OP
grithin

grithin

--removed--

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
Also, I should mention, at a human dose equivalent for rats, a 0.5mg /kg dose, (.162x) would be 0.081mg/kg, or 8mg for 100kg person. That you are not calculating this in your testing of MB really highlights that you should not be experimenting, but rather, waiting until other people experiment.
There's really no need to insult @yerrag by saying that he shouldn't be experimenting and should rather wait for others to do so. I understand your point of concern regarding dosage but there are better ways to say something without having to insult someone.

OP
grithin

grithin

There's really no need to insult @yerrag by saying that he shouldn't be experimenting and should rather wait for others to do so. I understand your point of concern regarding dosage but there are better ways to say something without having to insult someone.
Where was the insult?

Tim Lundeen

"you shouldn't" is always an insult :): LOL here I am doing sort of the same thing...

How about "I'm concerned about these high dosages, good for you to take a close look at this before starting" ?

OP
grithin

grithin

--removed--

Last edited:

yerrag

I wasn't sure how to respond to grithin here, but maybe he has a language issue or that's just the way he speaks, although he means well. We just know he needs work on that area, but I appreciate his concern, keeping me from the harm from me failing to recognize the dosage the professor talked about was for rats.

But we'll just play kid gloves with grithin for now. He's still growing up.

qwazy

Ok I just took 35mg of MB (0.5mg per kg body weight) with DMSO and feel a little relaxed. Did not notice anything from 5mg.

CreakyJoints

In your testing, did you experiment with/account for ascorbate at all?

I have documented the effects of MB on my dreams a little bit, since I often have it before bed, but my notes haven't been updated in a while.

qwazy

I have not experimented with ascorbate + methylene blue. What are the supposed benefits?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals