Oxidal - Liquid Redox Modulator

haidut

Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
17,608
Location
USA / Europe
There have been a number of discussions on the forum about various compounds that can be used to increase oxygen consumption of the cells and thus improve overall metabolism by increasing CO2 production, reduce lactate and (in some cases) uncouple mitochondria. After some research and experiments, I am please to introduce Oxidal - a supplement that should be able to help with increasing oxygenation and improve metabolic health. More info below, and you can order from the links in my profile signature.

Note: This product contains raw material(s) meant for external use only, in cosmetic or other formulations designed for such external use.

****************************************************************************************
Oxidal is a liquid supplement that supports optimal oxygenation of tissues and cells. Each of the ingredients in Oxidal has been shown in scientific studies increase cellular respiration, uncouple oxidative metabolism, and thus support more optimal cellular health. This is believed to result in improved vitality and energy levels.

Drops per container: about 250
Each drop contains approximately:

Methylene Blue (MB), USP: 0.4mg (400mcg)
Caffeine, USP: 0.4mg (400mcg)
Salicylic acid (2-OH-benzoic acid), USP: 0.4mg (400mcg)

Other ingredients: add product to shopping cart to see info

References:
Stimulation of respiration by methylene blue in rat liver mitochondria. - PubMed - NCBI
"...The effect of methylene blue on isolated rat liver mitochondria in the presence and absence of chloroacetaldehyde was investigated. Fatty acid oxidation was inhibited by chloroacetaldehyde and subsequently stimulated by methylene blue. Assessment of tightly coupled mitochondria revealed decreasing respiratory control ratios induced by increasing concentrations of methylene blue and methylene blue provoked mitochondrial swelling. In uncoupled mitochondria, methylene blue promoted a concentration-dependent stimulation of respiration. These findings provide evidence that methylene blue, the redox dye currently used as an antidote for encephalopathy associated with alkylating chemotherapy, uncouples oxidative phosphorylation and acts as an electron transfer mediator to stimulate mitochondrial respiration."

Effects of Caffeine on Metabolism and Mitochondria Biogenesis in Rhabdomyosarcoma Cells Compared with 2,4-Dinitrophenol
"...This work explored the effects on mitochondrial biosynthesis of caffeine and DNP in human rhabdomyosarcoma cells, a model organism for metabolic observation. We show that treatment of muscle cells with caffeine or DNP will induce the PGC-1α mRNA and protein in a dose- and time-sensitive manner. We also demonstrate that caffeine or DNP increases mitochondrial content as well as enhances oxidative and total metabolism. These are the first observations that directly compare caffeine with DNP and demonstrate the effects of both treatments on glycolytic and oxidative metabolism in skeletal muscle cells."

Mitochondrial uncouplers with an extraordinary dynamic range
"...The wide dynamic range of uncoupling by BHT and benzoic acid provides an excellent starting point for the design of novel uncouplers that could be used to modulate the burning of calories in humans for the treatment of obesity. The production of reactive oxygen species decreases strongly when the mitochondrial protonmotive force is lowered even slightly by uncoupling [39–41]. These uncouplers therefore also present an alternative approach to decreasing radical generation and perhaps treating age-related disorders, particularly since BHT and mitoBHT have antioxidant as well as uncoupling properties."
****************************************************************************************


The ingredients MB and caffeine do not need any introduction, they are well known by the forum members. However, some people may wonder why I added benzoic acid. Well, it looks like benzoic acid has a number of cool properties. First, it uncouples mitochondria in extremely low concentrations (less than 1 picoM/L) and that uncoupling capacity does NOT increase much with dosage. So, it has a much higher therapeutic index (e.g. ratio of effectiveness / risk) compared to drugs such as DNP which can kill you if you miscalculate the dosage just a bit. Benzoc acid also reduces ammonia levels by chelation and is approved as an ammonia-reducing drug called Ucephan.
Drugs@FDA: FDA Approved Drug Products
Benzoic acid
"...Benzoic acid is a Nitrogen Binding Agent. The mechanism of action of benzoic acid is as an Ammonium Ion Binding Activity."

This property is helpful since many people suffer from ammonia overload cause by slow metabolism and stress. Finally, benzoic acid is very well absorbed topically and orally and is not known to affect negatively organs like the liver or the digestive system.
I'd be interested in hearing some comments / thoughts?
 
Last edited:

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
17,608
Location
USA / Europe
Dan Wich said:
You come up with cool supplements faster than I can take them.

It sounds like benzoic acid might actually help the body synthesize salicylic acid too:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2800778/ (stolen from this thread)

Thanks!
They are actually almost the same substance:): Some salycilates metabolize into benzoic acid and maybe this is the reason even 80mg of aspirin daily is enough for cancer prevention.
 

Filip1993

Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2013
Messages
280
Haidut, are your new supplements available for international orders? I can't find them on the link.
 
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
7,367
How many drops in a serving? 800mcg of methylene blue is quite a lot for me. What is the role of the caffeine?
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
17,608
Location
USA / Europe
Such_Saturation said:
How many drops in a serving? 800mcg of methylene blue is quite a lot for me. What is the role of the caffeine?

Well, 1% methylene blue solution is standard so I made it that way. I guess when applied topically, you may end up absorbing less.
Caffeine is dopaminergic and there are some studies showing it may lower plasma serotonin. MB increases serotonin in some people, so I am thinking caffeine would mitigate that effect.
Finally, I know a person doing research with MB at NIH. He showed me some results suggesting caffeine and MB are synergistic when it comes to cellular oxygenation and caffeine was effective at very low doses provided it was administered together with MB.
 
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
7,367
haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:
How many drops in a serving? 800mcg of methylene blue is quite a lot for me. What is the role of the caffeine?

Well, 1% methylene blue solution is standard so I made it that way. I guess when applied topically, you may end up absorbing less.
Caffeine is dopaminergic and there are some studies showing it may lower plasma serotonin. MB increases serotonin in some people, so I am thinking caffeine would mitigate that effect.
Finally, I know a person doing research with MB at NIH. He showed me some results suggesting caffeine and MB are synergistic when it comes to cellular oxygenation and caffeine was effective at very low doses provided it was administered together with MB.

Oh nice then. Is it in ethanol?
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
17,608
Location
USA / Europe
Such_Saturation said:
haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:
How many drops in a serving? 800mcg of methylene blue is quite a lot for me. What is the role of the caffeine?

Well, 1% methylene blue solution is standard so I made it that way. I guess when applied topically, you may end up absorbing less.
Caffeine is dopaminergic and there are some studies showing it may lower plasma serotonin. MB increases serotonin in some people, so I am thinking caffeine would mitigate that effect.
Finally, I know a person doing research with MB at NIH. He showed me some results suggesting caffeine and MB are synergistic when it comes to cellular oxygenation and caffeine was effective at very low doses provided it was administered together with MB.

Oh nice then. Is it in ethanol?

Yes, 20% ethanol.
 
Joined
Nov 11, 2014
Messages
584
Perfect. Is there a recommended dosing schedule? e.g. 10 drops a day with food, in the afternoon.
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
17,608
Location
USA / Europe
cantstoppeating said:
Perfect. Is there a recommended dosing schedule? e.g. 10 drops a day with food, in the afternoon.

I can't provide specific recommedations on dosage since MB is such a tricky supplement. One drop on the skin should actually result in improved respiration, but some people may need more and some less MB. I strongly suggest starting with no more than 1 drop and working your way up from there.
 
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
7,367
haidut said:
cantstoppeating said:
Perfect. Is there a recommended dosing schedule? e.g. 10 drops a day with food, in the afternoon.

I can't provide specific recommedations on dosage since MB is such a tricky supplement. One drop on the skin should actually result in improved respiration, but some people may need more and some less MB. I strongly suggest starting with no more than 1 drop and working your way up from there.

What is the dermal absorption of methylene blue? I tried putting it on my skin and three days later I can just rub it clean off.
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
17,608
Location
USA / Europe
Such_Saturation said:
haidut said:
cantstoppeating said:
Perfect. Is there a recommended dosing schedule? e.g. 10 drops a day with food, in the afternoon.

I can't provide specific recommedations on dosage since MB is such a tricky supplement. One drop on the skin should actually result in improved respiration, but some people may need more and some less MB. I strongly suggest starting with no more than 1 drop and working your way up from there.

What is the dermal absorption of methylene blue? I tried putting it on my skin and three days later I can just rub it clean off.

This study used it topically for stroke and found it was absorbed.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7708136

The data I have varies but it seems to be absorbable like caffeine topically - i.e. ~20% absorbed over the first hour and then the rest absorbs fully over 24-48 hours unless washed off.
 

sunmountain

Member
Joined
May 12, 2014
Messages
792
This is exciting!

I have a question, Haidut. I am still having a bloated stomach, mild fatigue and mild joint pain. I suspect SIBO and getting breath tested June 1.

Can this supplement help me even though my digestive problems are not resolved yet?

Thank you!
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
17,608
Location
USA / Europe
sunmountain said:
This is exciting!

I have a question, Haidut. I am still having a bloated stomach, mild fatigue and mild joint pain. I suspect SIBO and getting breath tested June 1.

Can this supplement help me even though my digestive problems are not resolved yet?

Thank you!

Well, MB has been used before for SIBO but the doses were much higher. If you take it topically I don't think it would cause any issues with gut more than you already have. If anything, it may help you control SIBO, if it is indeed SIBO. Higher metabolism should help with gut issues.
 

katiekeen

Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2013
Messages
40
Thank you Haidut for making these supplements available. Are they available internationally? The link to international orders for your other supps are not showing these newbies. Thanks!
 

Dean

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2013
Messages
529
Well, I guess I'm going to have to read through that MB thread. Hadn't before because I figured I had enough on my plate to consider taking without throwing fish aquarium dye into the mix; but given how I've summed up my problems as "a lack of physical and mental energy", it seems I should move this to the top of the consideration list.

Are there any caveats or contraindications about taking this? Like, will this not work or potentially do more harm than good if not supplementing thyroid with it, or something along those lines? I'd like to think this is something I could kind of take a flyer on.

Anyway, appreciate you, haidut, coming up with interesting, unique supps to consider and offering it for reasonable prices.
 

haidut

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
17,608
Location
USA / Europe
Dean said:
Well, I guess I'm going to have to read through that MB thread. Hadn't before because I figured I had enough on my plate to consider taking without throwing fish aquarium dye into the mix; but given how I've summed up my problems as "a lack of physical and mental energy", it seems I should move this to the top of the consideration list.

Are there any caveats or contraindications about taking this? Like, will this not work or potentially do more harm than good if not supplementing thyroid with it, or something along those lines? I'd like to think this is something I could kind of take a flyer on.

Anyway, appreciate you, haidut, coming up with interesting, unique supps to consider and offering it for reasonable prices.

If anything, it should work synergistically with thyroid. The only precaution I can think of is that in some people MB raises blood pressure due to its MAO-A inhibiting properties, so you may want to watch out for that for the first few days.
 

Dean

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2013
Messages
529
haidut said:
If anything, it should work synergistically with thyroid. The only precaution I can think of is that in some people MB raises blood pressure due to its MAO-A inhibiting properties, so you may want to watch out for that for the first few days.

So, it would be better to be supplementing thyroid with it?

Wow, it's an MAO-A? I had a tremendous sense of well being for a short time after drinking ayahuasca a handful of times while I was in the Amazon a few years back. I believe ayahuasca is an MAO-A, as well. Could there be mood enhancing properties from the one drop dose or perhaps something that could be achieved by working up to a higher dose?

EDIT: I just waded through the long thread. Apparently Peat says 1mg has anti-depressant effects, which isn't far off from the 800 mcg you get from the one drop dose of this solution. I'm going to have to take the plunge on this. If this can make me feel even a little bit like I felt in the days and weeks following my ayahuasca use, it will be a revelation-- especially if I can escape the sheer misery of how I felt in the several hours directly under the influence of ayahuasca.
 
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
7,367
Hmm I'm getting about 20mcg of methylparahydroxybenzoate as an excipient with my methylene blue. I wonder if it has a similar effect.
 

ilovethesea

Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2013
Messages
728
haidut said:
Dan Wich said:
You come up with cool supplements faster than I can take them.

It sounds like benzoic acid might actually help the body synthesize salicylic acid too:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2800778/ (stolen from this thread)

Thanks!
They are actually almost the same substance:): Some salycilates metabolize into benzoic acid and maybe this is the reason even 80mg of aspirin daily is enough for cancer prevention.


I have aspirin allergy that I haven't been able to overcome yet. Just 1 asprin gives me runny nose and sneezing for hours. Do you think that would mean I would be allergic to the benzoic acid also?
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mauritio Protective and Antitumor Effects of Oxidal and Pyrucet in Hamsters with Experimental Graffi Tumor Scientific Studies 8
H Topical Methylene Blue (Oxidal) Methylene Blue 23
T Will Thorne research liquid vitamin K2 absorb through the skin? Ask For Help or Advice 8
T How to mix StressNon with liquid to consume orally IdeaLabs 3
M Liquid minerals for people who don’t absorb them well? Ask For Help or Advice 1
Momado965 Liquid tcopherol source E 2
C Liquid Alternatives Water 11
Frankdee20 Anyone Try Examastane Liquid From Blue Sky ? Ask For Help or Advice 8
B Starch Makes Extremities Warm But Lowers Underarm Temp; Liquid Sugar Does The Opposite Metabolism 6
C Benadryl (generic) Liquid Adult Ingredients Pharmaceutical Drugs 3
SuperStressed Boiling Meat: Does It Leach The Muscle Protein Into The Liquid? Diet, Recipes 1
A Constipation, Liquid Stools. At The Same Time Ask For Help or Advice 2
ecstatichamster The Thread For People Making Their Own Liquid Supplements (progest-e Etc.) Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 9
YamnayaMommy Instapot CARAMEL From Liquid Whey Leftover From Cottage Cheese Cheese 0
haidut CamphoSal - Liquid Camphoric Acid + Salol IdeaLabs 366
YamnayaMommy Nutritional Value Of Whey Liquid Discarded From Making Cottage Cheese? Diet 5
methylenewhite I'm Scared, Bad Luck Accident, Wild Bat Physiological Liquid Contact Ask For Help or Advice 20
K What's The Deal With Liquid Coconut Oil? Coconut Oil 10
S How To Make Liquid DHEA? DHEA 6
Viiiiyu Dont Drink Water Nor Much Liquid Food.Normal? Diet 0
jzeno Thoughts On Liquid Magnesium? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 20
haidut Pyrucet - Liquid (ethyl) Pyruvate/Aceatoacetate Mix IdeaLabs 443
yerrag What Is Transfat-Free PUFA Oils That Are Still Liquid At Room Temp? Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 41
L Thorne Research - Vitamin K2 Liquid (1 Mg/drop) - 30 Ml (Dosage, Expiration, Storage) K 7
haidut 6-keto P4 - Liquid 6-ketoprogesterone For Lab/R&D IdeaLabs 381
denise Easy Scalp Application Of Liquid Supplements Hair & Nails 6
haidut Magnoil - Liquid Magnesium IdeaLabs 410
Captain_Coconut Help, What Is The Stability Of Pregnenolone In Liquid? Pregnenolone 3
R Dietary Liquid Advice/Tips Diet 0
haidut Cardenosine - Liquid Product For R&D IdeaLabs 372
haidut Calcirol - Liquid Vitamin D3 IdeaLabs 334
haidut CortiNon - Liquid Progesterone/DHEA Mix IdeaLabs 317
lvysaur Has Anyone Here Tried "always Liquid" Coconut Oil? Coconut Oil 30
haidut Lanosterol - Liquid Lanosterol For Lab/R&D IdeaLabs 140
Mito Magnesium Glycinate Liquid Magnesium 7
J What's The Best Way To Take Liquid K2 For Dental Health? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 9
L Liquid Stool Digestion 5
haidut DeFibron - Liquid Methylated SFA For Lab/R&D IdeaLabs 436
haidut Gonadin - Liquid Steroid Optimizer For Lab/R&D IdeaLabs 824
Parsifal Improper Dropper Feeding Of Liquid Vitamin D Feared Responsible In Accidental Death Vitamins 30
haidut Cyproheptadine - Liquid Serotonin Antagonist For Lab/R&D IdeaLabs 348
gnosisphoenix Liquid Multivitamin And Sleep Issues Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
haidut 5α-DHP - Liquid 5α-Dihydroprogesterone For Lab/R&D IdeaLabs 902
pimpnamedraypeat Getting Over Long-Term Effects Of Nembutol (Liquid Pentobarbital) Overdose Ask For Help or Advice 2
T Help, Accidentally Spilled Liquid T3 On Myself Ask For Help or Advice 23
haidut Metergoline - Liquid Serotonin Antagonist For Lab/R&D IdeaLabs 840
haidut Androsterone - Liquid Androsterone For Lab/R&D IdeaLabs 1848
S Liquid Supplement Drop Size Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
haidut Lisuride - Liquid Lisuride For Lab/R&D IdeaLabs 566
haidut TyroMix - Liquid T3/T4 Mix For Lab/R&D IdeaLabs 833

Similar threads

Top