195mg Methylene Blue?

CoconutEffect

15mg, the (high) dose recommmended in other threads for bipolar depression is considered a placebo dose in this new study

Q: (my usual sob story)
RP: Have you tried Methylene Blue?

Somebody stop me from trying this. I will make it myself.

Methylene blue treatment for residual symptoms of bipolar disorder: randomised crossover study. - PubMed - NCBI

↓ Full text
Methylene blue treatment for residual symptoms of bipolar disorder: randomised crossover study.
Alda M, et al. Br J Psychiatry. 2017.
Show full citation
Abstract
BACKGROUND: Residual symptoms and cognitive impairment are among important sources of disability in patients with bipolar disorder. Methylene blue could improve such symptoms because of its potential neuroprotective effects.

AIMS: We conducted a double-blind crossover study of a low dose (15 mg, 'placebo') and an active dose (195 mg) of methylene blue in patients with bipolar disorder treated with lamotrigine.

METHOD: Thirty-seven participants were enrolled in a 6-month trial (trial registration: NCT00214877). The outcome measures included severity of depression, mania and anxiety, and cognitive functioning.

RESULTS: The active dose of methylene blue significantly improved symptoms of depression both on the Montgomery-Åsberg Depression Rating Scale and Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (P = 0.02 and 0.05 in last-observation-carried-forward analysis). It also reduced the symptoms of anxiety measured by the Hamilton Rating Scale for Anxiety (P = 0.02). The symptoms of mania remained low and stable throughout the study. The effects of methylene blue on cognitive symptoms were not significant. The medication was well tolerated with transient and mild side-effects.

CONCLUSIONS: Methylene blue used as an adjunctive medication improved residual symptoms of depression and anxiety in patients with bipolar disorder.

© The Royal College of Psychiatrists 2017.
PMID
27284082 [PubMed - in process]

keith

15mg, the (high) dose recommmended in other threads for bipolar depression is considered a placebo dose in this new study

Q: (my usual sob story)
RP: Have you tried Methylene Blue?

Somebody stop me from trying this. I will make it myself.

Methylene blue treatment for residual symptoms of bipolar disorder: randomised crossover study. - PubMed - NCBI

↓ Full text
Methylene blue treatment for residual symptoms of bipolar disorder: randomised crossover study.
Alda M, et al. Br J Psychiatry. 2017.
Show full citation
Abstract
BACKGROUND: Residual symptoms and cognitive impairment are among important sources of disability in patients with bipolar disorder. Methylene blue could improve such symptoms because of its potential neuroprotective effects.

AIMS: We conducted a double-blind crossover study of a low dose (15 mg, 'placebo') and an active dose (195 mg) of methylene blue in patients with bipolar disorder treated with lamotrigine.

METHOD: Thirty-seven participants were enrolled in a 6-month trial (trial registration: NCT00214877). The outcome measures included severity of depression, mania and anxiety, and cognitive functioning.

RESULTS: The active dose of methylene blue significantly improved symptoms of depression both on the Montgomery-Åsberg Depression Rating Scale and Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (P = 0.02 and 0.05 in last-observation-carried-forward analysis). It also reduced the symptoms of anxiety measured by the Hamilton Rating Scale for Anxiety (P = 0.02). The symptoms of mania remained low and stable throughout the study. The effects of methylene blue on cognitive symptoms were not significant. The medication was well tolerated with transient and mild side-effects.

CONCLUSIONS: Methylene blue used as an adjunctive medication improved residual symptoms of depression and anxiety in patients with bipolar disorder.

© The Royal College of Psychiatrists 2017.
PMID
27284082 [PubMed - in process]

That is a big dose...did you read the full study to determine the dose frequency? 195 mg once a day? Once a week? Once a month? I know there are also some MAO inhibition issues that can occur with a dose that high, so you may have to watch some of the things you eat, and medications/other substances you may consume, if you take that much. I think people have taken doses that high (or higher, I think) for malaria, but long term use might be different.

Personally I know I notice an effect from much lower doses. I find 2 mg per day makes me feel "off" which I know sounds like a placebo thing, but I don't think it is, because (1) I wasn't expecting to notice anything at all from a dose that small, and (2) I have noticed it consistently at that dose, where I don't at 1 mg daily.

Far be it from me to tell anyone else to not self-experiment, but I would make sure you understand the potential MAOI effects first, make sure you understand the dose frequency that worked in the study, and be very careful to listen to your body. I would suggest doing some trial runs at lower doses with some breaks to make sure you observe any changes. A doctor's assistance would be ideal if you can find one who is open minded. It might also be helpful to post a log here and/or have someone at home who knows what you are doing keep a close eye on you; someone else might notice changes you don't.

Best wishes. Be safe.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals