Red Light, Methylene Blue And Potassium Iodide Very Effective Against Drug Resistant Infection

Hans

Forum Supporter
This study shows that combing light therapy, methylene blue and potassium iodide is very effective against infections and pathogenic microbes.

Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy mediated by methylene blue and potassium iodide to treat urinary tract infection in a female rat model

"Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy (aPDT), a specific form of PDT in general, is the term used to describe the combination of non-toxic dyes called photosensitzers (PS) and light that in the presence of oxygen produces highly reactive oxygen species (ROS) such as singlet oxygen (1O2, Type II photochemical mechanism) and hydroxyl radicals (HO·, Type I photochemical mechanism)20. These ROS can damage biomolecules (proteins, lipids, nucleic acids) in a wide range of microorganisms regardless of structure or drug resistance and produce rapid killing of many logs of cells. If light is delivered soon after introduction of PS into infected tissue, significant selectivity for microbial cells over host cells is achieved21. We have reported that aPDT mediated by a range of different PS can be strongly potentiated by addition of the non-toxic inorganic salt, potassium iodide"

So potassium iodide is not needed by will strongly amplify the effect.

"We originally hypothesized that the mechanism of action involved one-electron transfer to iodide anion to produce iodine radicals (Type I), but subsequent studies showed that iodide underwent an addition reaction to singlet oxygen (Type II) to produce reactive iodine species and hydrogen peroxide22 also producing the stable antimicrobial substance, iodine/tri-iodide. We also demonstrated that iodide potentiation of aPDT could be demonstrated in vivo"

"We also showed that MB combined with KI, excited with red laser was effective treatment in a mouse model of oral candidiasis"

0.5 mL of MB solution was instilled into the bladder via catheter for 15 mins before light irradiation and then after MB instillation, bladders were then instilled with a 0.5 mL aliquot of 100 mM KI solution.
For irradiation, the 660 nm laser was coupled into a fused plastic fiber (core diameter 500 µm) with a glass cylindrical diffusing tip (diameter 0.98 mm, length 10 mm). The tube was also inserted into the rat, so it wasn't red light on the skin.

So although the solutions and red light was given specifically to that area internally, I think higher oral doses of MB and KI would also work to saturate the tissue before red light exposure. 5-15mg methylene blue would probably be enough for this effect if taken over a few days to saturate the tissue.
I think direct red light/sunlight to that area would also work if MB and KI is taken before exposure, with about 30 minutes exposure to be adequate.

This strategy can probably be used to kill any bacteria or infection in the body. As it creates ROS, maybe this would be a novel way to kill tumor and cancer cells as well.

@Obi-wan

Anti-viral/inflammatory treatment also inhibits iron retention and can allow the body to use iron correctly and to eliminate it as needed.

Last edited:
This study shows that combing light therapy, methylene blue and potassium iodide is very effective against infections and pathogenic microbes.

Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy mediated by methylene blue and potassium iodide to treat urinary tract infection in a female rat model

"Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy (aPDT), a specific form of PDT in general, is the term used to describe the combination of non-toxic dyes called photosensitzers (PS) and light that in the presence of oxygen produces highly reactive oxygen species (ROS) such as singlet oxygen (1O2, Type II photochemical mechanism) and hydroxyl radicals (HO·, Type I photochemical mechanism)20. These ROS can damage biomolecules (proteins, lipids, nucleic acids) in a wide range of microorganisms regardless of structure or drug resistance and produce rapid killing of many logs of cells. If light is delivered soon after introduction of PS into infected tissue, significant selectivity for microbial cells over host cells is achieved21. We have reported that aPDT mediated by a range of different PS can be strongly potentiated by addition of the non-toxic inorganic salt, potassium iodide"

"We originally hypothesized that the mechanism of action involved one-electron transfer to iodide anion to produce iodine radicals (Type I), but subsequent studies showed that iodide underwent an addition reaction to singlet oxygen (Type II) to produce reactive iodine species and hydrogen peroxide22 also producing the stable antimicrobial substance, iodine/tri-iodide. We also demonstrated that iodide potentiation of aPDT could be demonstrated in vivo"

"We also showed that MB combined with KI, excited with red laser was effective treatment in a mouse model of oral candidiasis"

0.5 mL of MB solution was instilled into the bladder via catheter for 15 mins before light irradiation and then after MB instillation, bladders were then instilled with a 0.5 mL aliquot of 100 mM KI solution.
For irradiation, the 660 nm laser was coupled into a fused plastic fiber (core diameter 500 µm) with a glass cylindrical diffusing tip (diameter 0.98 mm, length 10 mm). The tube was also inserted into the rat, so it wasn't red light on the skin.

So although the solutions and red light was given specifically to that area internally, I think higher oral doses of MB and KI would also work to saturate the tissue before red light exposure. 5-15mg methylene blue would probably be enough for this effect if taken over a few days to saturate the tissue.
I think direct red light/sunlight to that area would also work if MB and KI is taken before exposure, with about 30 minutes exposure to be adequate.

This strategy can probably be used to kill any bacteria or infection in the body. As it creates ROS, maybe this would be a novel way to kill tumor and cancer cells as well.

@Obi-wan

Anti-viral/inflammatory treatment also inhibits iron retention and can allow the body to use iron correctly and to eliminate it as needed.

Very informative. Thanks for posting. I think I remember @Travis posting something about iodine being good at killing baddies in the body too.

I understand this kills microbes by oxidative damage, but what ways can we mitigate the damage to other tissues? I'm assuming it increases ROS, and this helps kill the baddies but how can we protect the goodies from damage?

Travis

I would think this would work in vivo, despite the relative darkness. The ability of methylene blue to create singlet oxygen and superoxide has been demonstrated in cells. This is sometimes attributed to an enzyme inhibitory action, yet I have seen no evidence of any direct binding affinity. [Sometimes a measured cellular change is merely attributed to an enzyme activity, most often one noted for producing the opposite effect. And time goes-on, this assumption is progressively concretized by superficial analysis of the original and subsequent publications. A molecule having presumed enzyme inhibitory action then becomes an 'enzyme inhibitor,' the verb becomes a noun, and nobody is then capable of stopping the meme initiated by an indiscreet invocation of the term 'enzyme inhibitor.' This is one reason why so many 'enzyme inhibitors' look nothing at all like the enzyme's actual binding ligands.] Yet some scientists take the view that superoxide and singlet oxygen generation occurs spontaneously in the cell, just as it does in plain water + UV light.

The iodide ion (I⁻) is very effective against yeast & fungi in vivo, and in concentrations far lower than inhibitory concentrations observed with direct incubation. I think this is best explained by neutrophil and eosinophil myeloperoxidase, heme enzymes that can convert iodide into hypoiodite (IO⁻). Yeast cell walls are high in chitin, a β-linked polysaccharide like cellulose, and studies show that this can be iodinated by neutrophils + iodide. Genetic knockout studies show that myeloperoxidase deficient rats are very susceptible to C. albicans inoculation; concentrations that produce mild symptoms become lethal in myeloperoxidase-deficient mice. Studies on humans confirm this, and infections rates are high in those with genetic myeloperoxidase deficiency. This enzyme is released by neutrophils at target cells, and demonstrations of yeast + myeloperoxidase injections—the bare enzyme itself—leave no doubt concerning the unique efficacy of this single enzyme.

And yet, it needs neutrophil NADH oxidase to work: An enzyme that produces superoxide (Ȯ₂⁻). Genetic knockout studies on rats show that myeloperoxidase and NADH oxidase are roughly
equi-necessary for host defense and survival. The iodide ion is held in place by Arg²³⁹ near the iron-bound oxygen molecule [Fe⁴⁺–O═O I⁻┈Argᵟ⁺] at the center of the porphyrin macrocycle, yet it needs chemiluminescence from Ȯ₂⁻ or ¹O₂ to photo-excite heme and induce the iron-bound oxygen electrons into a higher quantum state. Chemiluminescence has been detected by neutrophils.

myeloperoxidase.png

[Notice the apparent 'light channel' facing the other side of heme—opposite the argingine²³⁹ sidechain that ionically-binds the iodide, holding it in place.]

Although neutrophil myeloperoxidase can also convert chloride (Cl⁻) in to hypochlorite (ClO⁻), this occurs at a lower kinetic rate compared with the I⁻ ⟶ IO⁻ reaction and is far less effecting besides. Moreover, eosinophil myeloperoxidase cannot even form hypochlorite (ClO⁻) at all, so it barely works against yeast without it. [Eosinophils are more specific to helminths than anything.] Eosinophils are only capable of converting: iodide (I⁻) in to hypoiodite (IO⁻), bromide (Br⁻) in to hypobromite (BrO⁻), and thiocyanate (SCN⁻) into hypothiocyanite (OSCN⁻). Lactoperoxidase also lacks hypochlorite-forming ability; the only two enzymes that appear capable of forming all four three hypohalites are chloroperoxidase and neutrophil myeloperoxidase.

I⁻ + ¹O₂ + H₂O ⇒ eosinophils can do this ⇒ H₂O₂ + IO⁻

Br⁻ + ¹O₂ + H₂O ⇒ eosinophils can do this ⇒ H₂O₂ + BrO⁻

Cl⁻ + ¹O₂ + H₂O ⤃ eosinophils cannot do this ⤃ H₂O₂ + ClO⁻

I think this combination should also be very effective in vivo, especially when considering the eosinophils.

Last edited:

Travis

Here is an easy to do demonstration of ¹O₂ phosphorescence involving H₂O₂ and
hypochlorite (ClO⁻), the easiest-to-obtain neutrophil product:

[1] H₂O₂ + ClO⁻ ⟶ Cl⁻ + H₂O + ¹O₂

[2] ¹O₂ ⟿ ³O₂ +

[Σ] H₂O₂ + ClO⁻ ⟶ Cl⁻ + H₂O + ³O₂

If you run this in reverse you get the myeloperoxidase reaction: All arrows are reversed, and the sequence of steps № 1 & 2 are transposed:

[2] H₂O₂ + ClO⁻ ⟵ Cl⁻ + H₂O + ¹O₂

[1] ¹O₂ ⟵ ³O₂ +

[Σ] H₂O₂ + ClO⁻ ⟵ Cl⁻ + H₂O + ³O₂

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks @Travis. What do you think would be a good dose iodine for this effect?

Travis

Thanks @Travis. What do you think would be a good dose iodine for this effect?
I think iodide ions (I⁻) are preferred, and although sodium iodide can be found the potassium salt is more available. The iodide ion appears to compete with chloride (Cl⁻) in the extracellular space, yet has a far greater affinity for α-linked polysaccharides like glycogen. I would imagine that most of the extrathyroidal 'iodine body store'—at least in coastal populations—would exist as I⁻ ions in extracellular fluid, lymph, and plasma associated with polysaccharides. Yet iodide it also lipid-soluble, far more than chloride, so some iodide should also be found associated with lipid bilayers.

This has been used for over a century in gram-sized doses per day, and with very few side effects reported in the 1–3 g/d range. Dose levels of 30 grams KI per day for weeks is dangerous, with two reported fatalities, yet hyperkalemia had been blamed for these and not the iodide ion (I⁻). Due to it's unusual pharmacokinetics: plasma I⁻ levels don't appear to ever reach levels needed for the Wolf Chaikoff Effect to occur, which has only demonstrated through ¹³¹I⁻ injection. To accurately gauge the toxicity of the I⁻ ion, a mixture of both Na⁺[HCO₃⁻] and KI would probably be needed to prevent hyperkalemia.

Yet most iodide is sold in the milligram range, often three orders of magnitude greater average American daily intakes. Since the carrageenan found in seaweeds strongly bind iodide, the coastal Japanese generally get about 3 mg per day.

Last edited:

Waynish

I think iodide ions (I⁻) are preferred, and although sodium iodide can be found the potassium salt is more available. The iodide ion appears to compete with chloride (Cl⁻) in the extracellular space, yet has a far greater affinity for α-linked polysaccharides like glycogen. I would imagine that most of the extrathyroidal 'iodine body store'—at least in coastal populations—would exist as I⁻ ions in extracellular fluid, lymph, and plasma associated with polysaccharides. Yet iodide it also lipid-soluble, far more than chloride, so some iodide should also be found associated with lipid bilayers.

This has been used for over a century in gram-sized doses per day, and with very few side effects reported in the 1–3 g/d range. Dose levels of 30 grams KI per day for weeks is dangerous, with two reported fatalities, yet hyperkalemia had been blamed for these and not the iodide ion (I⁻). Due to it's unusual pharmacokinetics: plasma I⁻ levels don't appear to ever reach levels needed for the Wolf Chaikoff Effect to occur, which has only demonstrated through ¹³¹I⁻ injection. To accurately gauge the toxicity of the I⁻ ion, a mixture of both Na⁺[HCO₃⁻] and KI would probably be needed to prevent hyperkalemia.

Yet most iodide is sold in the milligram range, often three orders of magnitude greater average American daily intakes. Since the carrageenan found in seaweeds strongly bind iodide, the coastal Japanese generally get about 3 mg per day.

Interesting. And what do you think about so-called autoimmune patients who fit the bill for iodine supplementation? Is there a safe low dose protocol, or soeething?

Travis

Interesting. And what do you think about so-called autoimmune patients who fit the bill for iodine supplementation? Is there a safe low dose protocol, or soeething?
Well, neutrophil myeloperoxidase also makes hypochlorite (ClO⁻) from chloride (Cl⁻). Although hypoiodite (IO⁻) is indisputably the more effective hypohalite against yeast cells, bacteria and host cells appear no more affected by the iodide product than by the chloride product. I wouldn't expect iodide to be any more dangerous than chloride towards host cells during an autoimmune neutrophil attack, and perhaps even less so. There are very good reasons based-on solubility considerations to believe that hypochlorite (ClO⁻) adds to free uracil more readily than the analogous hypoiodite reaction. Although synthetic 5-chlorouracil and 5-iodouracil have both been demonstrated as mutagenic, only the former has been detected in inflamed human tissues.

golder

So many sources quotes different suggested MB doses when combined with red light. Anyone have an educated consensus on some good MB doses when combined with red light for someone who is fighting a mild viral infection? Thanks very much!

DonLore

Is there a concensus about whether methylene blue + bright/red light can be harmful long term, since there is elevated ROS ? @Hans @haidut
Is it best to use higher doses MB + light when having chronic infection and otherwise stick to 1mg max/day?

golder

Ray spoke vehemently against combining red light and MB on one of the last Bioenergetic podcasts with Danny and Georgi. Just to make things more confusing!

Gbriel

Ray spoke vehemently against combining red light and MB on one of the last Bioenergetic podcasts with Danny and Georgi. Just to make things more confusing!
I know, I’m kinda wondering now if I should be using this only in the evening. I work outside in Arizona. That’s a lot of bright light lol.
Do know what number episode it was Ray spoke about this?

Donna57

Forum Supporter

@Obi-wan

I was put in touch with a lab in Germany IGL that did a blood serum test for the Mitochondria and found that my SOD1 enzyme is blocked I'm not sure how to understand this but thought maybe sharing on this site of knowledgeable and intelligent individuals someone will lead me down a path to explore. I started drinking MB Low dose to help with the elctron transsfer.

I'm now wondering if my higher than average blood sugar levels are due to not processing glucose properly. Im 5"5 125lbs my daily food take is 2 meals I have always internement fasted as a lifestyle and exercise so there was no apparent reason for the recent high blood sugar ( last 6 months)