Jem Oz

I'm wondering how sun exposure is different from taking vitamin D? What other factors are there? Honestly, I like the idea of taking vitamin D (hypothetically) better as I don't want to look wrinkled and tanned.
I think they are chalk and cheese. If you're worried about skin damage, consider applying some aspirin with niacinamide (before/after, or during exposure). Works wonders.

DonLore

I'm wondering how sun exposure is different from taking vitamin D? What other factors are there? Honestly, I like the idea of taking vitamin D (hypothetically) better as I don't want to look wrinkled and tanned.
1) The vitamin D from sun is different than vitD from a pill.
2) Red light from sun.
3) Increased circulation and lower blood pressure from sunlight.
4) Increased dopamine and testosterone from sunlight.
5) Almost certainly some other, less known benefits/mechanism.
I feel great in the summer, and in the winter I feel ******* terrible

OccamzRazer

Yeah...

Sun = good if PUFA = bad

Is way, way too dogmatic. PUFA isn't the only thing that degrades in UV light.

My skin has improved by using natural sunscreen, wearing sunhats, and only getting morning and evening sun.

NewACC

@Cirion
Why should the government be involved in our diet in the first place? even if sugar truly was the main cause of metabolic disorder, there still shouldn't be a tax on it. Let people do and eat what they want to do (for the most part)...
I completely agree with you. But it still seems to me that if at the state level all oils rich in PUFAs, namely > 10%, were banned and replaced without fail with oils with a very low content of PUFAs, it would be forbidden to use bisphenol-containing plastics in the food industry, completely prohibiting the use of glyphosphate and fluoridation of liquids and the addition of fluoride to the composition of toothpastes would have a shocking and unprecedented positive impact on public health

frankmp0

When it comes to skin cancer I don't think it's the volume of unsaturated fats I think its the ratio of saturated to unsaturated. That person is plant based so probably has a low intake of pufa but has a high ratio of pufa to sfa. When it comes to oxidation and inflammation, i think it has to do more with the volume of unsaturated fats. But with cell membrane oxidation from UV which is based on cell membrane makeup its probably based on unsaturation ratios

I don’t avoid the sun or wear sunscreen and my skin is less wrinkled at sixty than others my age and my health is FAR better than anyone I know my age. I had a good tan this summer too, gardening all day. I am convinced skin trouble is about the kind of fats one is storing in their skin, aka PUFA, and about the chemicals and bad oils they put on it, aka sunscreen, lotions and such. Bad skin is also about hormone imbalances, x-rays, stress, bad sleep, medications, chemicals in clothing and so much more.
Thank you for this very good article @haidut.
1700493032965.jpeg

"Vitamin D and calcium work closely with the thyroid." -Ray Peat

"Your thyroid can't work properly if you're low in vitamin D and calcium." -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals