Gut/sleep/hormones/skin chaos despite months on RP suggestions- what am I missing?

OP
curious_anthro
How many cycles have you been taking it? I'm guessing here that progesterone is sucking estrogen out of your tissue, dumping it into your blood to be eliminated by liver and kidneys. It might take more than a cycle or two to see a difference. In my case I started noticing the change after the fourth cycle. My dosing was different because I didn't learn about megadosing until later. Now I am thinking since you are megadosing that it might not matter. I wish there was more user info on this.

I have never been on birth control but still after the fourth cycle I would see a pimple and normally my face is not acne prone. My guess here is that you are still in elimination period.
I used it for two cycles. The info out there about dosage and use is so confusing... I've stopped using it now because I couldn't handle the reaction. I'm also wondering if perhaps I should not mess with progesterone supplementation until I heal a bit more. But what you said makes sense to me as everything that is an estrogen detoxifier seems to make my symptoms worse (e.g. beef liver, vitamin e)

I have been reading about pregnenolone supplementation and I wonder if any women on here have experimented with it instead of progesterone.

OP
curious_anthro
Things that cause constipation: hypothyroidism; thiamine deficiency or blocked thiamine function; magnesium deficiency; dehydration; I'm sure there's more.

I have had a lot of trouble with constipation for many years. I took cascara sagrada daily along with an optimized dose of thyroid medication for the past 6 years, along with a very careful diet that included carrot salad or mushrooms daily. I have recently gotten more improvement/normalization via a pretty high dose of thiamine hcl; 2 grams/day, half around 9:00 am and half before 3:00 pm. This change in gut function occurred after 2 days of this high dose of thiamine hcl. In addition, my ability to swallow meat has massively improved. My digestion is a whole lot better; I think the thiamine has increased my stomach acid so my food is getting digested. I am able to tolerate magnesium supplementation much better since I'm taking the thiamine. The increased dose of magnesium (about 1500mg/day) does not trigger diarrhea anymore.

Here is a very good intro video about thiamine deficiency:

Dr. Chandler Marrs prefers to use TTFD thiamine for her patients. I use thiamine hcl. The doses are very different. I tried the TTFD version but it gave me a screaming headache so I stuck with the thiamine hcl.

I've learned from personal experience that thiamine deficiency is every bit as important as hypothyroidism when it comes to the derailment of your body functions because both are needed for oxidative metabolism. Thiamine deficiency causes problems with the autonomic nervous system which governs how your digestive tract works, among other things.

Haha that is so weird... I used to know Dr. Chandler Marrs quite well when I lived in the states. Small world. Perhaps I need to chat with her. I have read about thiamine but then it seems if you get into that territory, you need to start looking at all of your b vitamins as you are probably deficient in more than one.

What brand of thiamine HCL do you take?

ursidae

Annoyingly, dairy and refined carb/sugar free diet worked the best and I'm thinking that is because there was less "food" for bacteria to feed on or my body just can't utilise carbs efficiently. I do have some scars but the acne hasn't stopped so I'm sure there are more to come. At this point, I'd take dealing with scars over the painful cysts any day!
you could experiment with different forms to see what part you're reacting to. could be anything the lactose, casein, whey, the IGF-1 and prolactin. For me low fat skyr is the least triggering. I broke out too in bad cysts from progesterone the first times but right now I'm not noticing cystic activity from it
things that have helped with gut motility: thiamine hcl, taurine, oxbile/tudca, exercise, hydration
whats your iodine intake

OP
curious_anthro
you could experiment with different forms to see what part you're reacting to. could be anything the lactose, casein, whey, the IGF-1 and prolactin. For me low fat skyr is the least triggering. I broke out too in bad cysts from progesterone the first times but right now I'm not noticing cystic activity from it
things that have helped with gut motility: thiamine hcl, taurine, oxbile/tudca, exercise, hydration
whats your iodine intake
The only dairy I do is cheese and skyr- occasionally greek yogurt and ice cream which weirdly never causes issues or at least none that I’ve noticed. Def going to look more into thiamine hcl as you’re the second person to say that.
I eat shellfish and take oyster extract once or twice a week so I feel like my iodine should be fine.

mostlylurking

Haha that is so weird... I used to know Dr. Chandler Marrs quite well when I lived in the states. Small world. Perhaps I need to chat with her. I have read about thiamine but then it seems if you get into that territory, you need to start looking at all of your b vitamins as you are probably deficient in more than one.

What brand of thiamine HCL do you take?
I'm taking thiamine HCL from Bulk Supplements and/or from Pure Bulk; it is the pure powder with nothing else added. I'm also taking a b-complex supplement and some additional niacinamide and riboflavin.

There appears to be a connection being made between vitamin D and sleep quality, the thought is that vitamin D increases acetylcholine which improves sleep quality. I found quite a few results from searching for vitamin D deficiency and cystic acne. Also, thiamine supplementation increases acetylcholine. My own sleep has improved a great deal since I increased my vitamin D and my thiamine supplementation. I think that I had developed some problems with my autonomic nervous system; these seem to be better now.

I suspect that I need more thiamine than average because I have a fairly high level of heavy metal toxicity, mainly lead. I think the Bactrim prescription was just the icing on the cake which made me fall apart so severely due to thiamine deficiency/dependency.

I got in trouble healthwise after taking Bactrim (antibiotic) for a bladder infection last summer. Bactrim blocks thiamine usage. I got really sick for several months; severe hypothyroid symptoms, lots of lactic acid build up, lots of muscle and joint pain, and I gained 25 pounds in 3 months. I ruled out a problem with my thyroid medication via bloodwork. Then I tried about 250 mg of thiamine HCL and experienced total relief from the lactic acid pain plus my temperature went up a full degree, all within 45 minutes. Since then, I've spent several months slowly increasing my thiamine dosage to where I am today (2 grams/day).

Dr. Marrs likes the TTFD thiamine, but it gave me a terrible headache. I seem to do well on the thiamine HCL so I'm sticking with that. I found Dr. Costantini's site on line. He only uses thiamine HCL for his patients. Since I don't have a doctor to help me I decided to use the type of thiamine that gives me the least side effects.

some links: Dr. Marr's website: Hormones Mattter
Dr. Costantini's website: HIGH-D0SE THIAMINE (HDT) THERAPY for Parkinson's Disease
EONutrition on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqXidfUsI0vm73xsBMIQdQ

ursidae

I eat shellfish and take oyster extract once or twice a week so I feel like my iodine should be fine.
how much shellfish? You need 150 mcg iodine a day and that’s if you don’t have to compensate for a lifetime of drinking and bathing in fluoridated and chlorinated water
Edit: I think mussels might be the the richest and one needs to eat about 2.5 kg per week to obtain the RDI

Last edited:
T

TheBeard

This is my first time posting on here and I’m a little intimidated but I thought maybe all you intelligent people could help me figure out what direction to go next in trying to get to the bottom of health issues after years of no success...

I’m 28, diagnosed with PCOS at age 21 and was on the birth control pill until last year (been off it now for one year). To my surprise, my periods returned rather quickly but so did all the dreaded symptoms of moderate-severe cystic acne on face/neck/chest, weight gain, poor digestion, constipation and insomnia. My cycle lengths are irregular in length ranging from 25-42 days. I have a history of extreme dieting and intense exercise (used to CrossFit 5-6 days a week) so I know I’ve done a bit of damage... I’ve been following RP lifestyle now for a year and no longer intensely exercise (only strength train, yoga and lots of walking) and eat at maintenance/more than I ever have.
I have the raw carrot salad most days, have lots of cheese, eggs, salt, coconut water, fruit but do tend to eat higher starch/fiber, gluten free, for the constipation and I just feel my body craves it. I take magnesium malate + topical spray, niacinamide, occasional beef liver and vitamin e (makes my breakouts horrible so only once every two weeks), collagen, gelatin gummies, bone broth and cascara. Sometimes digestive enzymes.
Of course, these changes would not have resulted in weight loss but I tried the slow and steady change and didn’t go all in at first. I’ve always been in great shape so the extra fluff is really hard. Skin is the worst it’s ever been and it makes me so miserable. Sleep is horrible.
I’ve tried cutting starch, topical progesterone (awful experience), limiting dairy and trying to cut down stress... however I admit I’m a full time PhD student and still love to weight train 3-4x a week but try my best to listen to my body! My thyroid and hormone panel is “normal” but doctor won’t test anything but the usual T4 and TSH, FSH and LH (live in the UK). I know my gut is probably a bit wrecked but my options of what I can do next feel limited and I feel so defeated and way too young to feel so awful.

if you are still reading my life story, I so appreciate it and any thoughts or observations that could be shared is doubly appreciated!!

There you have it.

Try quitting starch and fiber altogether for a month.
Nothing has made a more dramatic change to my health.

Nomane Euger

how much shellfish? You need 150 mcg iodine a day and that’s if you don’t have to compensate for a lifetime of drinking and bathing in fluoridated and chlorinated water
Edit: I think mussels might be the the richest and one needs to eat about 2.5 kg per week to obtain the RDI
How much iodine would you recommand for a person that compensate for a life time of drinking fluoridated and chlorinated water?is there a iodine/selenium ratio you recommand from your experience?

schultz

I am “tired and wired” at night, take ages to fall asleep and wake up several times in the night. Never feel rested when I wake up

Things that cause constipation: hypothyroidism; thiamine deficiency or blocked thiamine function; magnesium deficiency; dehydration; I'm sure there's more.

Adrenaline/noradrenaline can cause constiptation as well as sleep issues.

mostlylurking

Adrenaline/noradrenaline can cause constiptation as well as sleep issues.
Yes, adrenaline makes sleeping pretty much impossible. And if you are wired up on adrenaline, the gut could just stop functioning too.

“Factors that lower the stress hormones, increase carbon dioxide, and help to lower the circulating free fatty acids, lactate, and ammonia, include vitamin B1 (to increase CO2 and reduce lactate), niacinamide (to reduce free fatty acids), sugar (to reduce cortisol, adrenaline, and free fatty acids), salt (to lower adrenaline), thyroid hormone (to increase CO2).”
Ray Peat

Last edited:

ursidae

How much iodine would you recommand for a person that compensate for a life time of drinking fluoridated and chlorinated water?is there a iodine/selenium ratio you recommand from your experience?
I'd take it slow. Start with the RDI and build up from there and reduce if you get cold/feel unwell. Taurine, boron, tamarind are supposed to help with fluoride excretion

My seafood intake is quite high so I don't always take the full recommended dose of selenium. It's 400 mcg, the upper tolerable limit. It's recommended to take vitamin c, zinc gluconate as well

If I got this right, Ray Peat does not consider the iodine repletion approach safe and would rather have people supplement thyroid
I understand this precaution as I got horrid cystic acne and shivers from taking more iodine than I could handle. It made me feel ill, but then again my fluoride intake was much much greater than the average person's. But a smaller amount seems to make me more resistant to getting cysts.

And not to forget the ovaries have the second highest iodine concentration in the body after the thyroid gland. It's easier for women to become defficient and I wonder to what extent pcos is an iodine defficiency disease

T

TheBeard

Two full droppers of Lugol's 5% iodine mixed in OJ sipped on throughout the day.
Until you feel somewhat normal again.

OP
curious_anthro
There you have it.

Try quitting starch and fiber altogether for a month.
Nothing has made a more dramatic change to my health.
Yes worth a try although I do wonder if there are differences in success with this between men and women due to physiology. Not a scientific fact but observation that most men seem to do better or at least experience less negative effects from keto/carnivore/low carb diets. I know you are not suggesting no carb but I just wonder if there is anything to do with carb types and menstruating female physiology...

OP
curious_anthro
Have you tried thyroid?
I have not, I live in the UK so I am not sure where I would even get it (can't afford a private doctor just yet)… also I'm a bit hesitant as, similar to progesterone use, there is no clear advice on how much to start out with and it seems to involve a lot of self-experimentation which I am generally open to but not so much with things that can really set you back if you get wrong

OP
curious_anthro
I'm taking thiamine HCL from Bulk Supplements and/or from Pure Bulk; it is the pure powder with nothing else added. I'm also taking a b-complex supplement and some additional niacinamide and riboflavin.

There appears to be a connection being made between vitamin D and sleep quality, the thought is that vitamin D increases acetylcholine which improves sleep quality. I found quite a few results from searching for vitamin D deficiency and cystic acne. Also, thiamine supplementation increases acetylcholine. My own sleep has improved a great deal since I increased my vitamin D and my thiamine supplementation. I think that I had developed some problems with my autonomic nervous system; these seem to be better now.

I suspect that I need more thiamine than average because I have a fairly high level of heavy metal toxicity, mainly lead. I think the Bactrim prescription was just the icing on the cake which made me fall apart so severely due to thiamine deficiency/dependency.

I got in trouble healthwise after taking Bactrim (antibiotic) for a bladder infection last summer. Bactrim blocks thiamine usage. I got really sick for several months; severe hypothyroid symptoms, lots of lactic acid build up, lots of muscle and joint pain, and I gained 25 pounds in 3 months. I ruled out a problem with my thyroid medication via bloodwork. Then I tried about 250 mg of thiamine HCL and experienced total relief from the lactic acid pain plus my temperature went up a full degree, all within 45 minutes. Since then, I've spent several months slowly increasing my thiamine dosage to where I am today (2 grams/day).

Dr. Marrs likes the TTFD thiamine, but it gave me a terrible headache. I seem to do well on the thiamine HCL so I'm sticking with that. I found Dr. Costantini's site on line. He only uses thiamine HCL for his patients. Since I don't have a doctor to help me I decided to use the type of thiamine that gives me the least side effects.

some links: Dr. Marr's website: Hormones Mattter
Dr. Costantini's website: HIGH-D0SE THIAMINE (HDT) THERAPY for Parkinson's Disease
EONutrition on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqXidfUsI0vm73xsBMIQdQ
Thank you. I am not sold on the vitamin D supplementation as I read up on it further and it can deplete vitamin A, copper, magnesium and potassium in the kidneys... I know there are probably several threads on here debating this but not convinced its good in my situation.

I have started taking 100mg of thiamine hcl the past few days and it actually gave me a headache too! Also took it at night then slept terribly which may or may not have been related. Did this eventually dissipate for you or did you just have to switch forms?

mostlylurking

Thank you. I am not sold on the vitamin D supplementation as I read up on it further and it can deplete vitamin A, copper, magnesium and potassium in the kidneys... I know there are probably several threads on here debating this but not convinced its good in my situation.

I have started taking 100mg of thiamine hcl the past few days and it actually gave me a headache too! Also took it at night then slept terribly which may or may not have been related. Did this eventually dissipate for you or did you just have to switch forms?
TTFD thiamine gave me a headache. Thiamine hcl does not. You should take all of your thiamine (divided into two doses) before 3:00pm or it will keep you awake at night by lowering your blood sugar. If you take it earlier than 3:00pm it improves the quality of your sleep.

It is important to also supplement with vitamin A when you supplement with vitamin D, if you don't the D can cause insomnia. Orange juice provides potassium; you need that for thiamine supplementation too. You also need magnesium when taking thiamine, plus a good B-complex is helpful.

Here's an article for you: With Thiamine Paradox Symptoms Patience Is Key - Hormones Matter

Nemo

Curious, Georgi seems to address your issues here at 13:30:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals