Rice Or Potatoes, In Your Opinion?

Actually russets have higher amylose than the waxy varieties like red potatoes, but curiously, the mealy russets gelatinize more readily than the reds, so the waxy varieties need more intense cooking to be as high on the GI as they are capable of being.

tyw

Actually russets have higher amylose than the waxy varieties like red potatoes, but curiously, the mealy russets gelatinize more readily than the reds, so the waxy varieties need more intense cooking to be as high on the GI as they are capable of being.

Agree. That quote was taken verbatim from the article, and I dunno why the author decided to classify Russets as "waxy".

Boil your waxy potatoes for a long time then ;)

caroline

I do better on potatoes then I do rice and I love potatoes. Especially fried in coconut oil. :drool

Rice constipates me. :( Trying a new organic sushi rice I just found, will know results tomorrow.
Same. Potatoes (red and other "new" potatoes in particular) are very easy for me to digest. Rice, thus far, makes me feel exhausted and sleep after consuming. Also, coconut oil and potatoes has positive effect versus butter with potatoes which causes me to have a blocked-up nose the next day. I'm finding more potatoes, less reliance on fruit is much easier to maintain on a daily basis.

FD8

Fermentation and gas isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it means your gut bugs are chowing down. Unfortunately, a lot of the good guys can ferment and create gas just like the bad guys, and except for gauging how we feel after the fact, it's almost impossible to tell who's the culprit.

One of the things about potatoes and rice is if you cook and then cool them, some of the starch becomes resistant to fermentation. It can go longer in the digestive tract without being broken down by the bacteria. This means it can reach the long stretch of the large intestine where a lot of our good guys live, but where more easily digestible carbs found in sugar and fruit don't always make it, thereby starving the good guys over time and setting up an unhealthy ratio of bad bacteria to good. Eating resistant starch can help correct a bad gut flora ratio.

Potatoes have more resistant starch than rice. White rice has more RS than brown.

You picks your "poison". ;)

Poison is a strong word ... I personally do much better on a high starch diet and eat potatoes and rice everyday.

jyb

I do better on potatoes then I do rice and I love potatoes. Especially fried in coconut oil. :drool

Rice constipates me. :( Trying a new organic sushi rice I just found, will know results tomorrow.

That's not just you with rice and constipation. Even consuming just the water used to boil rice is a common way to slow down transit.

tara

People who cut dairy don't get gas from starch and even beans after about two weeks of being strict because the bacteria change.
This was not my experience - continued to produce lots of gas even if I went weeks without dairy.

The one thing with the gas (I have noticed) is that a diet based on dairy, with raw carrot and little cooked food, produces gas that doesn't have a foul odour.
I remember baby nappies smell fine while they are living on milk - start to get stinky when they begin eating other food too. :)

postman

In my experience and working with friends diets, starch and dairy don't mix and cause gas. People who cut dairy don't get gas from starch and even beans after about two weeks of being strict because the bacteria change. If you don't mind the gas and you like the variety then it's fine to mix dairy in but that's why people get gas after starch and dairy mixes like pizza, pasta, burgers, tacos, burritos, nachos. etc. or even a natural mix of potatoes and butter.
Do you think this is inherent to the milk only or is it because of fat? Do you think the same would happen if you put coconut oil on your rice instead for example?

whodathunkit

Poison is a strong word
I put it in quotes to [hopefully] emphasize the fact that I was being facetious. I guess that didn't come across.

I'm a big fan of starch and have done myself a lot of good by upping my starch intake. Based on what I know right now, and in light of new research, I think it's a missing piece of the puzzle for a lot of people who don't do well initially on a "classic" Peat-style diet. I was one of those people when I first tried Peat, so I can say that. I just think we need to feed the good gut bugs in the long stretch of the long intestine, and the simple fibers and sugars in classic Peat can't do that for a lot of us.

Do you think this is inherent to the milk only or is it because of fat? Do you think the same would happen if you put coconut oil on your rice instead for example?

It could be the casein, lactose, fat or estrogens as well. Coconut, olive etc. don't cause gas for me.

FD8

I put it in quotes to [hopefully] emphasize the fact that I was being facetious. I guess that didn't come across.

I'm a big fan of starch and have done myself a lot of good by upping my starch intake. Based on what I know right now, and in light of new research, I think it's a missing piece of the puzzle for a lot of people who don't do well initially on a "classic" Peat-style diet. I was one of those people when I first tried Peat, so I can say that. I just think we need to feed the good gut bugs in the long stretch of the long intestine, and the simple fibers and sugars in classic Peat can't do that for a lot of us.

I thought you were being serious :nailbiting::D

Well I think the problem is that people assume that there is a Peat diet when in fact, all I see are recommendations and general ideas as to what can be done to increase your metabolism.
Peat says that you should prefer fruits over starch, "in a perfect world". In my opinion it doesn't constitute a rule per se.
His approach to nutrition reminds of liberal economic theories where everything is based on assumptions that are not met in the real world.

whodathunkit

thought you were being serious :nailbiting::D
:nailbiting: :D :lol:

Well I think the problem is that people assume that there is a Peat diet when in fact, all I see are recommendations and general ideas as to what can be done to increase your metabolism.
Peat says that you should prefer fruits over starch, "in a perfect world". In my opinion it doesn't constitute a rule per se.
His approach to nutrition reminds of liberal economic theories where everything is based on assumptions that are not met in the real world.
You're right, there are only recommendations, and then there's what "The Man" himself seems to do, which is actually follow his own recs. IMO that says a lot about him and his work.

A lot of people try to emulate the recs and the actions, hence the reference to a "classic" Peat diet. But for some of us that classic route doesn't work that well. My imperfect understanding right now is that the reasoning against starch is that it promotes endotoxin and also may play a role in promoting serotonin and other undesirable biochemical players. And that reasoning seems to be right, to large extent. But "pigeonholing" starch into a theory of optimal nutrition in that manner neglects the beneficial and sometimes necessary role that some types of starch (like resistant starch) can play in health.

Nighteyes

The sudden blood sugar rise may not suit you well, etc ....

Theoretically gelatin with the rice should ensure more stable rise in blood sugar right? I think I remember reading about glycine having this effect.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Even consuming just the water used to boil rice is a common way to slow down transit.
But whyyyyyyyy? :( Lowers metabolism?

Parsifal

As @Ivysaur stated, glutinous rice has probably the lowest fermentation potential, and Norm Robillard himself said:

In general, foods that contain more amylopectin (higher glycemic index), such as jasmine rice, short grain sticky rice (also known as glutinous or sushi rice) as well as some varieties of potatoes, such as Russet Burbank, are much easier to digest and absorb than foods containing more amylose (lower glycemic index), such as basmati rice, most long grain rice (except for jasmine), pasta, most wheat, corn, oat and barley products, most potatoes and bananas.

From: http://digestivehealthinstitute.org/2013/05/10/resistant-starch-friend-or-foe/
This is correct, and since he is using GI to quantify Fermentation Potential (and sticky rice has the highest GI of all, usually measured around 98), it also means that these "fast to digest" foods will also raise blood sugar the fastest, and in some people, to very high levels which are arguably damaging.

We should try to account for all factors that could cause as harm. There may be components (proteins) in rice that you don't do well with. The sudden blood sugar rise may not suit you well, etc ....

Same with potatoes, there are different set of proteins and fibrous material which may or may not sit well with various people.

Of course, experiment and respect your own empirical experience.

Does the high GI of sushi rice mean that it is digested faster than fruits? Do you eat it pure of do you put cheese in it to lower the GI?

tyw

Does the high GI of sushi rice mean that it is digested faster than fruits? Do you eat it pure of do you put cheese in it to lower the GI?

In general, yes. High amylopectin rice, if eaten alone, will be digested faster than most fiber-containing fruits eaten alone (though maybe not a fruits like bananas and papaya / paw paw)

Sidenote: GI isn't a good measure of speed of digestion when it comes to fructose. GI is an approximate measure of the ability of a food to raise blood glucose. Fructose is obviously not glucose. Even the Insulin Index doesn't really account for this well, since fructose doesn't raise insulin very much.

Pure fructose (GI of 25), is still going to be digested pretty damn quickly. Low fiber fruit, will similarly see quick digestion times.​

GI still does give an approximate measure of the impact of a food on blood glucose though, so again, these rices will generally cause higher excursions in blood glucose levels.

Personally, I like my rice hinted with a little bit of salt and coconut oil (like 1 teaspoon for 300g of rice), or with a raw egg and tamari mixed in (卵かけ御飯), or just plain. I don't have blood glucose / insulin sensitivity issues, so this works fine.

Dan W

I've wondered why I have a consistent appetite for rice no matter how frequently I eat it (something that's not true of potatoes). Potatoes seemed to take longer to digestively adapt to, which makes me curious whether anyone else has noticed a bigger appetite for forms of starch they digest better.

Arsenic seems to be a factor to consider if one is regularly eating a lot of rice and according to this article white rice has lower arsenic levels than brown rice.
I settled on Lundberg California-grown Basmati because of this. They share their arsenic testing here:
Arsenic in Food - Lundberg Family Farms

I've wondered why I have a consistent appetite for rice no matter how frequently I eat it (something that's not true of potatoes).

It's because rice is life. Your brain just likes the constant steady flow of glucose and it needs its tanks full so that you can keep Toxinless.com running smoothly.

Anyone who's concerned with arsenic in rice but then eats seafood is a bit contradicting. Seafood actually has warning signs directly on the side of the freezer/glass. Polar bears in the pristine Arctic now have toxins in their fat tissue. Even they can't escape it.

If rice causes constipation for anyone, my tip is to drink a little more water daily and have things like cooked greens or other fibers with the rice. But the constipation could be from other foods that you're eating entirely.

I like it all. Give me all the rice. White, black, red, brown. I'm getting into volcano rice now. Lundberg is being ridiculous with their new sprouted rice. They charge too much for too little. They will be hearing from me soon. I want more sprouted rice for less. Or, I guess I can just sprout it myself.

rice.jpg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals