Rice Or Potatoes, In Your Opinion?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've wondered why I have a consistent appetite for rice no matter how frequently I eat it (something that's not true of potatoes). Potatoes seemed to take longer to digestively adapt to, which makes me curious whether anyone else has noticed a bigger appetite for forms of starch they digest better.

I settled on Lundberg California-grown Basmati because of this. They share their arsenic testing here:
Arsenic in Food - Lundberg Family Farms
That's the one I've been eating too. I couldn't remember exactly why I chose it but I must have read about it on toxinless or something.:p

Jarman

If you read closely into those research studies, they only mention that the arsenic level is high on rice grown on southern region of US, like Texas, Lousiana etc. due to their history of cotton farming.

Arsenic level is a non-issue in if you get the rice from California or import it from India and Southeast Asia. They're are available in abundance in Asian grocery stores.

And clean the rice first and cook it like native Asians typically do. There are tons of Youtube videos on how to do this.

Otherwise, Asians would have extinct long time ago consuming so much rice.

I personally avoid rice from California, though since recently they have pollution issues swept under the rug (nuclear radiation leak, etc.)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
personally avoid rice from California, though since recently they have pollution issues swept under the rug (nuclear radiation leak, etc.)
That's good to know! Thanks Jarman.
arsenic level is high on rice grown on southern region of US, like Texas, Lousiana etc. due to their history of cotton farming.
I think that information really struck a chord with me because I don't live too far from that region but I could see where it wouldn't be as crucial for people living in other areas.

mt_dreams

I think that information really struck a chord with me because I don't live too far from that region but I could see where it wouldn't be as crucial for people living in other areas.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are eating things grown on the old cotton lands. Arsenic for the most part stays in the soil so unlike places that live in regions where pesticides are constantly being sprayed, and thus inhaled, you luckily wont be breathing any of the arsenic.

Most of the rice grown in the US is grown in Arkansas. I would still choose california rice even though radiation has been hitting the area in the last couple of years. I don't think rice grown in asia is guaranteed predestine. Places like bangladesh which is one of the biggest producers in south asia is one of the dirtiest countries in the world, especially their rivers. Keeping with the arsenic info, places like vietnam & cambodia have high levels of this stuff in their ground water.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks @mt_dreams, I should probably just become a rice farmer and call my crop Blossom Rice-sounds as good as Jasmine or Basmati! I've been wanting to change careers anyway.:p

Luann

Potatoes have 22% of phosphorus for one day, not to mention most fruits have like some phosphorus so 4 potatoes plus fruit, etc is a blow to the calcium-phosphorus ratio. Especially if you use them as a carb staple.

Jenn

Those of you getting gassy need to chew. If you are chewing sufficiently, you are converting the starch into sugar in your mouth. If you are swallowing as soon as it's small enough not to choke you on the way down, then you are going to have issues long terms regardless.

A potato with good fat is a complete food, loaded with minerals. Rice is not....though I am partial to Jasmine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals