Rice Or Potatoes, In Your Opinion?

lvysaur

I always seem to fare better eating rice than eating potatoes, going by the amount of gas I get from each. Rice is more quickly digested than potatoes, anyone else experience this?

tyler

Indeed.

I've recently discovered fiberless rice (jasmine) and it digests perfectly for me. Far better than potatoes, other starches, and even whole fruits.

PeatThemAll

For me, it depends on the rice type (glutinous, etc.). Glutinous is the worse. Norm Robillard quantified this (fermentation potential) in his Fast Tract book/research. This being said, I fare better overall with rice than potatoes.

whodathunkit

Fermentation and gas isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it means your gut bugs are chowing down. Unfortunately, a lot of the good guys can ferment and create gas just like the bad guys, and except for gauging how we feel after the fact, it's almost impossible to tell who's the culprit.

One of the things about potatoes and rice is if you cook and then cool them, some of the starch becomes resistant to fermentation. It can go longer in the digestive tract without being broken down by the bacteria. This means it can reach the long stretch of the large intestine where a lot of our good guys live, but where more easily digestible carbs found in sugar and fruit don't always make it, thereby starving the good guys over time and setting up an unhealthy ratio of bad bacteria to good. Eating resistant starch can help correct a bad gut flora ratio.

Potatoes have more resistant starch than rice. White rice has more RS than brown.

You picks your "poison". ;)

going by the amount of gas I get from each

In my experience and working with friends diets, starch and dairy don't mix and cause gas. People who cut dairy don't get gas from starch and even beans after about two weeks of being strict because the bacteria change. If you don't mind the gas and you like the variety then it's fine to mix dairy in but that's why people get gas after starch and dairy mixes like pizza, pasta, burgers, tacos, burritos, nachos. etc. or even a natural mix of potatoes and butter.

Jayfish

With zero fiber in my diet, I get zero gas or bloating. At all, zero. It's pretty sweet.

TheHound

in terms of taste? I almost never get bored of potatoes fried in butter with lots of salt. Rice is really boring unless I add soy sauce to it or some of the broth from soups

Taters digest better for me. Feel better after them too. Rice makes me feel a little weak and weird..
Potatoes may even be the most easiest food to digest for me. My stomach feels perfect after them.

mt_dreams

jasmine rice has no resistant starch (unless you cool it quickly after cooking), so it wont give off gas, but it will raise blood sugar levels more than potatoes or rs rice.
If you're looking for rs rice than your best bet is to look for basmati rice which has been cooked & cooled prior to bagging so you don't have to do that step prior to eating. this might cause you a little more gas, but it will not spike your blood sugar level as much as the former.

rice made with broth tastes great by itself. there's no need to add sauce in order to enjoy it, though I usually add fat & protein to prevent the shakes.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I do better on potatoes then I do rice and I love potatoes. Especially fried in coconut oil. :drool

Rice constipates me. :( Trying a new organic sushi rice I just found, will know results tomorrow.

BobbyDukes

In my experience and working with friends diets, starch and dairy don't mix and cause gas. People who cut dairy don't get gas from starch and even beans after about two weeks of being strict because the bacteria change. If you don't mind the gas and you like the variety then it's fine to mix dairy in but that's why people get gas after starch and dairy mixes like pizza, pasta, burgers, tacos, burritos, nachos. etc. or even a natural mix of potatoes and butter.

This is a great post. Something that people don't even think about, generally, imo. Food combinations. In my case, the worst of all seems to be fruit + dairy (even from softest ripest fruits I can find). This combination causes stabbing pains in my gut, and profound dips in my mood (bordering on anger. And I am normally a peaceful guy). However, pre-Peat, I ate fruit (regardless of whether it was ripe or not) for fun, with little issues. I would eat pips, seeds, cores, stringy bits, skin, and all I would find with eating fruit, would be how energising and refreshing it seemed to be, every time I ate it. Now, I cannot tolerate any of it at all. Starch is also a major no, for myself (a diet based on dairy). But again, I don't remember reacting that badly to it, pre-Peat. Maybe it's the dairy that makes you intolerant to other things.

The one thing with the gas (I have noticed) is that a diet based on dairy, with raw carrot and little cooked food, produces gas that doesn't have a foul odour. Whether that is healthy, I don't know. I would tend to think that intuition would tell a person that foul smelly gas is a sign that all is not well with what they are eating, but that is just conjecture on my part.

milk_lover

This is exactly how I feel about steak or chicken. It's really boring unless I add A1 sauce and other condiments to it.
Yeah steaks are the most boring food I eat to be honest unless I add tabasco or some spicy sauce, I don't know how westerners love it so much. We call it in my country the fake meat. Nothing beats freshly slaughtered sheep meat. Seafood (mainly shrimp) are also tasty by themselves no need for any kind of sauce.

Taters digest better for me. Feel better after them too. Rice makes me feel a little weak and weird..
Potatoes may even be the most easiest food to digest for me. My stomach feels perfect after them.
Same here with rice. I feel stomach irritation/endotoxins immediately from white rice and I get anxious and act very weirdly, stomach pain changes one's personality. White bread = NO IMMEDIATE SYMPTOMS at all with me, which is hurting any progress I have with the diet because I get tempted to eat white bread everyday because I know it will not give me stomach pain.

milk_lover

If I eat too much starch in any given day, I make sure I take cascara sargada before sleep and/or raw carrot. More poop = better mood and well-being :)

OP
lvysaur

lvysaur

People who cut dairy don't get gas from starch and even beans after about two weeks of being strict because the bacteria change. If you don't mind the gas and you like the variety then it's fine to mix dairy in but that's why people get gas after starch and dairy mixes like pizza, pasta, burgers, tacos, burritos, nachos. etc. or even a natural mix of potatoes and butter.

If potatoes and butter is giving you gas, then you have a problem with potatoes; butter has virtually zero carbohydrate. The other stuff you mentioned can have small amounts of lactose in it, and would be unsuitable for people who are extremely lactase deficient and who simultaneously eat a starch-based diet.

The amount of gas I'm referring to here is very, very small. But any gas at all is noticeable to me because I never get any.

I've recently discovered fiberless rice (jasmine) and it digests perfectly for me. Far better than potatoes, other starches, and even whole fruits.

That's the rice I eat too. I think basmati has some resistant starches, similar to russet potatoes.

For me, it depends on the rice type (glutinous, etc.). Glutinous is the worse. Norm Robillard quantified this (fermentation potential) in his Fast Tract book/research. This being said, I fare better overall with rice than potatoes.

Are you sure about that? Glutinous/sticky rice is mainly amylopectin, which is much easier to digest than amylose. It could be that the rice isn't being washed enough; sticky rice has a lot of residual surface starch.

tyw

As @Ivysaur stated, glutinous rice has probably the lowest fermentation potential, and Norm Robillard himself said:

In general, foods that contain more amylopectin (higher glycemic index), such as jasmine rice, short grain sticky rice (also known as glutinous or sushi rice) as well as some varieties of potatoes, such as Russet Burbank, are much easier to digest and absorb than foods containing more amylose (lower glycemic index), such as basmati rice, most long grain rice (except for jasmine), pasta, most wheat, corn, oat and barley products, most potatoes and bananas.

From: http://digestivehealthinstitute.org/2013/05/10/resistant-starch-friend-or-foe/
This is correct, and since he is using GI to quantify Fermentation Potential (and sticky rice has the highest GI of all, usually measured around 98), it also means that these "fast to digest" foods will also raise blood sugar the fastest, and in some people, to very high levels which are arguably damaging.

We should try to account for all factors that could cause as harm. There may be components (proteins) in rice that you don't do well with. The sudden blood sugar rise may not suit you well, etc ....

Same with potatoes, there are different set of proteins and fibrous material which may or may not sit well with various people.

Of course, experiment and respect your own empirical experience.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals