Potatoes Cause Infections For Me?

Discussion in 'Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein ' started by Liubo, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Liubo

Liubo Member

Hi everyone
    so every time I try to introduce potatoes, if I eat three or four of them a day, I wind up with mouth or throat infections. It's really weird. Last year I ate a lot of boiled, salty potatoes and eventually had multiple infections in my wisdom teeth. I switched to rice, OJ, fruit, milk.

I try potatoes again the last two weeks and right now have a bad case of laryngitis and a sore throat. Also ear and back pain, and I feel so tired. It's basically some kind of flu almost. And I seem to only get sick like this when I try eating potatoes. I peel and boil them pretty thoroughly. Anyone with an idea on why potatoes make me get sick?

2. kiran

kiran Member

Hows your gut doing? It might just be that the potatoes are too much starch for you to handle at one.
    Have you tried eating it with some rice, that might help with dysbiosis. You may want some OJ anyway.

3. OP
    Liubo

Liubo Member

Probably about average, I don't know if I tried the rice with it or not. Thanks for your reply. It probably was the increase in starch after all.

4. Lokzo

Lokzo Member

Naturopath
    Any type of potatoe can annihilate my libido for up to 3 days afterward. Makes me so annoyed. I can handle them. I USE to be able to tolerate them just fine.

5. jet9

jet9 Member

Interesting,

Last 2 days I introduced potatoes (had zero starch for 4 months) and now I have a sore throat.

On positive side I am calmer.

Have to do more experimenting.

6. Ron J

Ron J Member

I think sometimes adaptation is required, so after a while you'll figure out if it agrees with you. The first time I used a pro dopamine substance, or after taking a break, I experienced flu-like/high serotonin symptoms(congested nostrils, headache etc.) for several days.

7. Cirion

Cirion Member

At least for me, there's a balance involved with starch. Too much definitely causes endotoxic responses for me. But I can handle a pretty large amount of potatoes - at least if they're extremely well boiled. I like to boil them for like an hour. They need to be boiled until you can mash them basically.

8. jet9

jet9 Member

Does timing matter ? So far I am doing mostly fruits/honey + seafood/meat during day and starch (potatoes) for dinner.

When I tried eating starch for breakfast I was crashing (I tried it 5-6 months ago)

9. Cirion

Cirion Member

For me it certainly does. That's my strategy as well. I do most of my sugars and fruits in the morning to afternoon and starches for dinner.

In my experience sugars provide better daytime energy and starches provide better stable night time energy. Neither a pure sugar diet nor a pure starch diet works for me, this is what is best for my current state of health.

10. Cirion

Cirion Member

So I just looked at my chronometer yesterday. I am really working hard to decipher what causes endotoxic responses for me so I track rigorously every day now and make notes. I lost 2 lb of bloat yesterday, and I had roughly 400 gram sugar and 200 gram of starch. This seems to say for me that roughly, I want 2 gram of sugar for every gram of starch, which works out to be 1 gram of fructose for every 3 gram of glucose basically (since sucrose (sugar) is 1:1 fructose,glucose). When I had too much glucose/starch relative to fructose, I bloated up. Like on Sunday when I had mounds of starch, and Monday gained 2 lb of bloat.

So it certainly seems sugar is less endotoxic than starch. I really would have sugar for all my carbs, but starch satiates me. This seems to be a good balance. For me. Someone elses' experience will vary. So don't copy me per-se. You gotta find out the right combo that works for you.